Do we require a coherent overarching national energy policy ?

The Vikas Sharma

On a different note, we should be reasonably proud that we have developed an alternative nuclear technology, namely the Fast Breeder Reactor. This helps us to develop energy independence through the nuclear route where the technology denial regime has been most manifest. Be it oil or coal, wind or solar, hydro or nuclear, each energy source has potential for large scale use in India. We have to do to both - produce power by all means AND avoid wastage of power by all means.

The Vikas Sharma

It is heartening to see press reports that a cabinet committee on energy security is being proposed. This is action at the highest level of the Executive. Nevertheless it is equally the responsibility of the legislature to institute a mechanism to monitor emerging energy requirements, risks, technology solutions and propose appropriate enabling legislation proactively.

The Vikas Sharma

The activities of the past week have greatly encouraged me. I came across senior people directly responsible to resolve energy issues in the armed forces and found them receptive and open to what is essentially an untested paradigm in this segment. It is apparently not the lack of interest but the lack of visibility of the concept in appropriate quarters that is impeding the acceptance of the microgrid approach. What is possibly required is the equivalent of the Galvin Initiative in US being executed in Indian context. The need is to separate the signal from the noise. My communication to the Defence audience is to start looking for this solution and do your own research. You may not require convincing by other people.

The Vikas Sharma

Why policy intervention is important to achieve increased renewable penetration is best illustrated by the case of low penetration of renewables in households segment. Though living in my own house may be the cheapest and best option for me, I may still live in a rented premises for the simple reason that I can't afford to buy a house. Most households are averse to adopting renewables due to the upfront cost even though they may be aware of it's life cycle benefits.

Policy like Feed-in-Tariff are tools for incentivising renewable adoption among the house-owners / businesses. For Govt organisations, incentives have to be different. There is no cost sensitivity driving a change in approach in this case. Here, a control over fuel budget is the recommended approach with supplementary grants being made available only for installing renewable energy systems. When the shoe pinches, the decision takers will automatically ask their planners to 'do something' for averting inevitable crisis.

Being pro-active is easier said than done in Govt context. This is due to it's large size and distributed consensual decision taking. Therefore in my opinion, investment in communication and education by the industry is necessary to speed up the process.

The Vikas Sharma

A recently released US DoE report has recorded verified results in energy savings by US Military in their Camps and Operating Bases by use of Smart Microgrids. Coupled with certain passive energy efficiency measures, close to 80% reduction in diesel usage has been recorded.Amazing!
Now the question is whether Indian Defence Establishment will take cognisance or re-invent the wheel? Frankly, I have no clue.

The Vikas Sharma

In my opinion, the adoption of renewables will speed up once there are several effective and low cost energy storage technologies available for deployment. Presently only battery storage is suitable for mass deployment as it can be used from the smallest to the largest scale, is easily transportable and does not require great skills to manage. It has a well developed business and technical ecosystem. This implies that we can look forward to some amazing new and non polluting battery alternatives to lead acid, or even Lithium ion, in the coming decade.

The Vikas Sharma

As we are set to have a new parliament in place after the world's largest franchise exercise, we hope that the concerned law makers render a holistic oversight to our energy security measures giving due focus to institutionalised renewable integration in our energy mix. Simple measures and decentralised approach to renewable power generation and management can reduce our dependence on diesel to a defined acceptable level. Importantly the displacement would be permanent. Energy access, energy efficiency and energy assurance should be a KRA of the next Government. They should exploit the work done so far rather than start afresh and re-inventing the wheel in process. Let us watch how the policy on energy unfolds in the coming months.

The Vikas Sharma

The events as they unfold point to a deep appreciation of India's energy requirements by the new dispensation. The investment in gas grids is a superb measure as it can be used as a greener fuel as well as to generate electricity at the point of consumption. This overcomes the issue of transmission losses substantially. Gas can be stored in a less expensive manner compared to electricity. A combination approach of gas and renewable energy in microgrid architechture seems exciting.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One should have heard Piyush Goyal's speech in Parliament on Energy and the manner in which the Govt will approach the issue.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles