Do poor and lazy people support corrupt leaders?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by SLASH, Dec 22, 2011.

1. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

I look down from my window and see that every week there is some function or fair happening in the nearby chawl. Along with it you also see big banners of political parties that organise such events. Our members from Mumbai can second me on this. Are our people so easily bought over? Why are the same corrupt and incompetent leaders getting elected again and again? Does the election commission look into the spendings only during elections or also though out the term?

3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Most of such functions are organized by local "Bhai" who is connected with some party or the other. Yeah votes can and are bought in India.

4. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

People can be bought as long as we have poverty as the poor people think of their next meal and have no sense of how future will pan out if they elect a corrupt politician. Our system has now got corrupted and provided way for the corrupt and criminal persons to fight in election and win them using money, alcohol and freebies. Even election commission cannot stop these. Let me give an example.

There was an by-election for an assembly and people of one of the candidate was caught with 50 lakh money by the police. They gave the inspector 20lakhs and proceeded with the remaining amount to distribute around. This is the status of our politics. And here I see some people who say "parliament is supreme" and their word is the "last word".

This is the reason there is an increase in anger among right thinking people which manifested during Anna's fight against corruption.

parijataka and Vyom like this.
  5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

In this corrupt society, if one has a connection with a politician, doors open up and law is kept at bay.

And such politicians cannot last without finances to dole out to their supporters and muscle men, who keep the politician upfront as a great leader!

Full time supporters and muscle men are usually from the poorer and unemployed sections of society!

6. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Yes the parliament is supreme as its the pillar of democracy. Are these not the same people who fall for money to vote also protesting side by side of Anna? Works both ways. Hypocrisy all around.

The Messiah likes this.
  7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There is no doubt that there is hypocrisy all around.

Today's Parliamentary Debate shows the same.

Pious words but will an eye on survival.

Cause a lockjam and all can claim to have tried so hard and yet......

But this is a chance to clean up.

But will it work?

8. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

Not poor people, these days the poor people of Bihar are working for a new leadership under Nitish Kumar, not poor people.
    But yes, dull and lazy people do support corrupt politicians, I can speak from personal experience, this is the reason why India is in desparate need for a Eugenics program.

9. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

From what I have seen it is the regional parties that are more willing to sponsor such events. They understand the people better than other parties. Again the target is the poor and the unemployed who have very few form of entertainment. They idolise their leaders like they are some superstar. They don't really care where the money comes. The money comes from the middle class shopkeepers in the area. I am not talking of 'chanda' but 'hafta'.

Will it ever stop? how?

10. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Regular Member

You can't be serious - you want a EUGENICS program to curb poverty?

Implementing a child tax + other benefits for voluntary sterilisation would be enough... but such things require a functional government first.

IMO get rid of the continual elections around the year that occurs in India. There is ALWAYS some election 'just around the corner' and so politicians are more worried about votes and doing some local politicking rather than doing something USEFUL.

11. lemontree

lemontree Defence Professionals Defence Professionals

Most of the poor, vote of parties for the following reasons:-

- Address theri local needs - getting water, electricity.
    - Provide jobs.
    - Collective voice and protection.

They really dont care for national issues. That is why you have NCP, Shiv Sena, MNS and RPI who identify with these chawls/ localities, because they pander to the local parochial issues/needs.

12. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

I'm not talking about forced sterilization, just withdraw welfare benefits for non sterilized people, enforce the ban on child labour(so that lazy fathers can't live of this labour), and let nature take its course.

13. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

Local issues are what matter the most to the common man rather than "national" issues.

Local does not necessarily mean parochial. If it can benefit their local society, it is a good thing.

The cow belt and its neighborhood was ruled by broad minded "national" parties with "national" agendas for decades, is the region developed?

If everyone focuses on development of their local ward, constituency, city, district etc in the same order the country will automatically develop.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    amitkriit likes this.
  14. HeinzGud

HeinzGud Senior Member Senior Member

I remember a American farmer who said to NatGeo reporter once "Let government handle military and foreign relations while we'll look after ourselves in our lands!"

15. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

We were searching for the moron of the year in the other thread

16. Rahul M

Rahul M Regular Member

in the last elections in TN people took booze and money from DMK and voted for AIADMK. :laugh:

17. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

That's the hallmark of an empowered & educated electorate.

18. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Bengalis voted for CPM for continuosly 30 years:troll:

19. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

Did you read my reply to that post?