Do animals treat animated machines as living beings?

pmaitra

I came across this video where the dog was playing with a ball and bringing it back to the mechanised catapult. It kept wagging its tail till it ejected the ball after receiving it from the dog.

Funny to watch, but made me think a lot. What do DFI members think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nrj

KS

Bye bye DFI
You should animals the question and not DFI members :D

SpArK

SORCERER

I came across this video where the dog was playing with a ball and bringing it back to the mechanised catapult. It kept wagging its tail till it ejected the ball after receiving it from the dog.

Me think Jerry is a stupid dog.:hippie:

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

^^ Of course human intelligence is superior to dogs. I guess I am wondering if anyone knows of any research in this regard (about what animals think of animated machines).

Nonetheless, hope you guys enjoyed it. :)

pmaitra

@SpArK,

I thought about what you said. Animals, especially dogs should be able to sniff and tell whether there is life in a object or not. Perhaps this dog is a pedigree domesticated dog that it has lost its natural instincts or perhaps it is enjoying the game so much that it is relying solely on visual cues?

SpArK

SORCERER
@SpArK,

I thought about what you said. Animals, especially dogs should be able to sniff and tell whether there is life in a object or not. Perhaps this dog is a pedigree domesticated dog that it has lost its natural instincts or perhaps it is enjoying the game so much that it is relying solely on visual cues?
Dogs like to retrieve whatever thats thrown, is their instinct i think.

Whether by human or even an object thrown by machine.

No other animal domesticated has this trait.

Anyway this dog is in company with the guy who is with the video camera, that could be an explanation for the tail wagging

Tronic

The dog is wagging his tail simply because he's excited and having fun. I don't think he treats a machine like a living being. It is merely a toy. That dog probably has as much feelings for that machine as a child has for a new toy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles