DJI is controlling 70%+ drone civil market

rockdog

Country flag
DRONE MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS & PREDICTIONS FOR 2018 – DJI DOMINATES, PARROT AND YUNEEC SLOWLY CATCHING UP

http://www.dronesglobe.com/news/drone-market-share-analysis-predictions-2018/

Drone market today is largely dominated by one manufacturer, DJI. Drones from DJI are so popular that it isn’t so uncommon for production lines to fail to keep up with demand when a new drone is released, like it was the case with Mavic Pro. Months after Mavics’ release many enthusiasts were still waiting to get their hands on one.

For this reason, when talking about market shares you’re going to have to mention DJI a lot. They hold a good chunk of the market in the mid to high end drone segment, and manufactures like Parrot and Yuneec have only just now started making dents in DJIs market share.

TOTAL GLOBAL DRONE SHIPMENTS – FUTURE GROWTH OF THE DRONE INDUSTRY AND PREVIOUS YEARS COMPARISON

To find out about the growth of the drone industry over the last few years the best statistic to look at are drone shipments, year-to-year. Chart above, courtesy of Business Insider, does exactly that. Note that these numbers include both hobbyist (like toy and photography) and professional grade drones (used in military, industries, etc).

Biggest jump in drone shipments in the recent years happened in 2014, going on 2015. Number of drone shipments doubled, and things have sort of died down since then. In 2016 there was 7 million drone shipments, only 1 million more than in 2015. Production has ramped up this year and there’s going to be an expected 10 million new drones shipped in 2017, about 40% increase compared to previous year.

Predictions for the future in the chart above show that things are looking very bright for the drone industry. By 2021 the number of drone shipments is set to quadruple, to 29 million drones shipped globally.

Smaller drone manufacturers might sell more drones, but these include toy drones sales that cost less than $100. Profit margins on that are peanuts compared to making a sale of a $4000 professional drone. Even though DJI has around 1500 people employed in the research and development, having just one manufacturer hold that much market is never good for the consumers.

We need more drone manufacturers to be competition to keep DJI in check. Without competition they will stale progress and keep prices high making high quality drones a thing that only enthusiasts can afford. They for example already became sloppy when it comes to user data security. I personally plan on supporting Parrot with my next drone purchase. Bebop 2 looks awesome, although camera could be better. What do you think, do we need more competition in the drone industry? Leave a comment down below and let us know what your opinion is.

----------------------------------------

DJI is really an amazing company, never seen such Chinese company would dominate one hi tech field with such advantage. Mostly, it benefits the strong supply chain in Shenzhen and Canton province, plus the real power of China's manufacture.

indiatester

Country flag
DJI Phantom 4 Pro was at $1600 man. Unbelievable price. Parrot looked good too.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
How many people buy drones in the $500 - $1000 segment?

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
China China all the way!! Whither India? We're nowhere on the world scene be it supercomputers, drones or AI. The Chinese are light years ahead. And that's because their R&D budget is more than 5 times that of India's.

rockdog

Country flag
How many people buy drones in the $500 - $1000 segment?
From the article:

The last market segment we’re going to be talking about is reserved for drones that cost over $1000 and $2000. Truth be told, there is very little to talk about here. I’d make a chart but it would look very similar to the one pictured above becauseDJI again holds a rather astonishing 70% of the market, according to Skylogic.

Same thing is pretty much true for drones in the over $2000 bracket, DJI holds this market segment firmly with close to 70% of the drone market. We’re now approaching professional and enterprise grade drone pricing, and very few drones have come out lately that justify such high pricing.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
From the article:

The last market segment we’re going to be talking about is reserved for drones that cost over $1000 and $2000. Truth be told, there is very little to talk about here. I’d make a chart but it would look very similar to the one pictured above becauseDJI again holds a rather astonishing 70% of the market, according to Skylogic.

Same thing is pretty much true for drones in the over $2000 bracket, DJI holds this market segment firmly with close to 70% of the drone market. We’re now approaching professional and enterprise grade drone pricing, and very few drones have come out lately that justify such high pricing.
How big is the over $500 segment in total market value? It must be no more than a small fraction of total drone sales.

rockdog

Country flag
How big is the over $500 segment in total market value? It must be no more than a small fraction of total drone sales.
Please show me how did you determine your conclusion? Any evidence?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Please show me how did you determine your conclusion? Any evidence?
While 2017 will see mid-tier and entry level drones (priced under $300) continue to drive unit demand, new form factors and innovations in sensing and imaging technology will help meet the needs of premium drone buyers

– Ben Arnold, The NPD Group

rockdog

Country flag
While 2017 will see mid-tier and entry level drones (priced under $300) continue to drive unit demand, new form factors and innovations in sensing and imaging technology will help meet the needs of premium drone buyers

– Ben Arnold, The NPD Group

It's talking about the unit in US market, but your words:

Any data about the "Market value" and "total drone sales"? please give me some links.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It's talking about the unit in US market, but your words:

Any data about the "Market value" and "total drone sales"? please give me some links.
I was the one asking data from you since you are the expert on drone sales. I just showed you market trends in the US which tend to represent trends worldwide.

rockdog

Country flag
I was the one asking data from you since you are the expert on drone sales. I just showed you market trends in the US which tend to represent trends worldwide.
So you assume "US which tend to represent trends worldwide." on drone consuming marketing? any evidence for supporting conclusion?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
So you assume "US which tend to represent trends worldwide." on drone consuming marketing? any evidence for supporting conclusion?

rockdog

Country flag

The NPD group’s research also suggests that users tend to be more seasoned drone flyers, with 56% of people buying drones costing $500 or more.

http://fortune.com/2016/05/25/drones-ndp-revenue/

Across all prices in North America, DJI represented 50 percent of the market, Snow says. The price range where DJI is not dominant is drones under $500, which are mostly toys, and where there are hundreds of companies competing.

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/14/14690576/drone-market-share-growth-charts-dji-forecast

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Any data about

The NPD group’s research also suggests that users tend to be more seasoned drone flyers, with 56% of people buying drones costing $500 or more.

http://fortune.com/2016/05/25/drones-ndp-revenue/

Across all prices in North America, DJI represented 50 percent of the market, Snow says. The price range where DJI is not dominant is drones under $500, which are mostly toys, and where there are hundreds of companies competing.

https://www.recode.net/2017/4/14/14690576/drone-market-share-growth-charts-dji-forecast
A $550 average clearly shows that the number of drones under $500 is the vast majority as professional drones cost tens of thousands and one $10k drone skews the mean of a $50 drone by 2000%.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
China China all the way!! Whither India? We're nowhere on the world scene be it supercomputers, drones or AI. The Chinese are light years ahead. And that's because their R&D budget is more than 5 times that of India's.
we are only good in exporting Bharatnatyam, Dal- Rice and festivals which we ourselves don't believe in.

amoy

I wasn't aware of DJI presence until I saw this hovering over a bamboo bridge across Nam Khan of Luang Prabang, Laos. An European tourist was flying it.

Many French and Korean travellers there.

At the beginning of dry season locals would build the bridge, and dismantle before rainy season. The constuction seemed never ending after weeks. It was submersed in the river unfinished when I left Luang Prabang.

rockdog

Country flag

I wasn't aware of DJI presence until I saw this hovering over a bamboo bridge across Nam Khan of Luang Prabang, Laos. An European tourist was flying it.

Many French and Korean travellers there.

At the beginning of dry season locals would build the bridge, and dismantle before rainy season. The constuction seemed never ending after weeks. It was submersed in the river unfinished when I left Luang Prabang.

You would google the new brand: Tello, it gets supports from DJI, with low price, but high quality.

DJI and Ryze Tech Launch Tello, a Highly-Capable Low-Budget Drone
https://dronelife.com/2018/01/08/tello-drone-dji-ryze-tech/

badguy2000

Respected Member
according to some indians here,all "made in china" are crappy junks.

so,Dji is also crappy junks too.

and all those buying DJI are all junk~collectors

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles