Discussion About Indian Football

trojan

Country flag
I dont understand why they need to go other part of the globe for practice match against a team ranked 145 when Nepal has better rank at present. We should be playing with middle-east countries, ASEAN countries and former-Soviet countries more to gain experience and improve ranking. It will be more cost effective too. Very soon our U23 team under Sukhwinder Singh will be travelling to UK to face Pakistan, U23 team of England and U21 team of Scotland. But 7-8 key players like Jeje, Raju,Lalrindica, Sabeeth will not be available as they are with the senior team in an useless tour. AIFF should be prudent while planning such tour.

Colaco's concept of 'passing and possession based football' may give rays of hope for Indian football, but Colaco as a coach is not beyond controversy. Especially, his biasness in favour of Dempo footballer is harming national team. No way Climax, Miranda, Debabrata, Sammer Nayek are worth playing in the national team when he has dropped Baichung,Rafi, Anwar and Rennedy Singh. Players like Sandeep Nandi, Danzel Franco are already declining to play under him because of his biasness towards some players.And he went beyond his jurisdiction by cancelling a FIFA sanctioned game. In my opinion Colaco's concept of passing football is more important than Colaco himself. I will not be surprised if he is get replaced by a Spanish coach soon.

sabir...jeje,raju and sabeeth all will be there in england tour. here's the official website CLASH OF THE TITANS | SUMMER 2011

u can see this forum for more news about indian football INDIAN FOOTBALL FORUM • Index page

yes aiff is not too happy with colaco for cancelling the match and some action can be taken against him.

all in all he's a good coach but his policy of including too many good for nothing dempo players (eg climax) is not good.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Exactly Trojan. I say Colaco's concept of 'Passing & possession' is more important than Colaco himself. If we can find a better Argentine or Spanish coach we can substitute Colaco. I am not at all satisfied about team selection. He did right dropping Baichung, Pradeep, Manju, Anwar who were not performing well. Renedy was better but he does not have the fitness to play 90 minutes regularly. But he is better than Dias in set pieces. At the same time Climax, Sameer Nayek (most worthless in the team), Miranda (a pregnant Hippo), Debabrata too shoud have been dropped. Lalrindica, Robert, Gilbert should come in first eleven. And, How Sabeeth comes in team before Robin Singh. AIFF should try to bring a renouned defender from Europe to guide our defenders to organise defence properly. Gourmangi, Raju or Mahesh, Dipak of previous generation were good individually but overall defence organisation have always been a headache.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
India lost to trinidad and tobago 3-0
Though it looks like an one-sided match on paper it was a hard faught one. If you look at the video you will see how Indians wasted their chances. Sunil and Jeje should have scored as the had only the goalkeeper to defeat from close range. Dias and Nabi too made couple of splendid attempts but could not get the reward. T&T GK was certainly very good. Else it would have been 2-3. On the other hand our defence organisation was pathetic. They could easily cut open our defence. The coach must seriously think about the side-backs. Debabrata and Sameer Nayek are the most week part of the team. They hardly had any role in attack and they were clueless while defending. here is the video
BTW...India lost their second match to Guyana 1-2....

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Our defenders have again proved how poor they are in organising defence. We really need a good European defender (retired of course) as supporting coach just to help out the defenders and to select proper defenders among young players. Colaco's biasness towards Sameer and Roy is costing us lot.

trojan

Country flag
India's UK tour postponed indefinitely :(

pretty lame excuses given by sponsors for postponing the tour

trojan

Country flag
Though it looks like an one-sided match on paper it was a hard faught one. If you look at the video you will see how Indians wasted their chances. Sunil and Jeje should have scored as the had only the goalkeeper to defeat from close range. Dias and Nabi too made couple of splendid attempts but could not get the reward. T&T GK was certainly very good. Else it would have been 2-3. On the other hand our defence organisation was pathetic. They could easily cut open our defence. The coach must seriously think about the side-backs. Debabrata and Sameer Nayek are the most week part of the team. They hardly had any role in attack and they were clueless while defending. here is the video
BTW...India lost their second match to Guyana 1-2....
yes sabir our team played well.....the scoreline does not reflect the game played by India. i saw the deferred telecast of the match . ofcourse we didnt match the skills of trinidad players but the boys tried to control the game and played some nice passes and possession football . aimless long balls were rare in the match and the few that were came off the feet of climax lawrence :D he played avg. not good not bad. but he's not needed in the team anymore.our strike pair is good only if we had a better mid field to pass the ball onto the strikers frequently. defence is also one area where we need to improve.

now that we've lost quite a few matches consecutively to much higher ranked teams) next we should play teams ranked around us so we can beat them and gain some confidence :D

Sabir

DFI TEAM
yes sabir our team played well.....the scoreline does not reflect the game played by India. i saw the deferred telecast of the match . ofcourse we didnt match the skills of trinidad players but the boys tried to control the game and played some nice passes and possession football . aimless long balls were rare in the match and the few that were came off the feet of climax lawrence :D he played avg. not good not bad. but he's not needed in the team anymore.our strike pair is good only if we had a better mid field to pass the ball onto the strikers frequently. defence is also one area where we need to improve.

now that we've lost quite a few matches consecutively to much higher ranked teams) next we should play teams ranked around us so we can beat them and gain some confidence :D
India will look much stronger if -

1)Climax, Sameer nayek, Debabraata,Miranda- these four useless players are dropped. If we are looking for 2018, we dont need these out-of-form , out-of-shape players. Rather we should give young players like Gilbert, Danzel, Ralte, Lal Kamal more opportunities.

2) We need a good ex-defender from Europe as supporting coach to guide our defenders in defence organisation. Young defenders like Raju, Robert, Arnab will be benefitted a lot. At present condition any opposition with good forwards and a good passer in the mid-field can rip open Indian defence.

3)Good physical trainers from South Africa or Australia for senior and youth teams. U 16 and U19 players must get this opportunity if we expect somthing good from them in future. A player cant show his full potential if he is not in peak physically.

4)Bringing Robin Singh in the team. Jeje, Sunil both are of short height and they are not very powerful shooter of ball. A 6'1" tall stricker with good spot jump and heading and who can shoot the ball hard will add more variation in the attack. Sunil is 27-28 now. So in future we will have Robin and Jeje/ Malswamfela in the front.

trojan

Country flag
India will look much stronger if -

1)Climax, Sameer nayek, Debabraata,Miranda- these four useless players are dropped. If we are looking for 2018, we dont need these out-of-form , out-of-shape players. Rather we should give young players like Gilbert, Danzel, Ralte, Lal Kamal more opportunities.

2) We need a good ex-defender from Europe as supporting coach to guide our defenders in defence organisation. Young defenders like Raju, Robert, Arnab will be benefitted a lot. At present condition any opposition with good forwards and a good passer in the mid-field can rip open Indian defence.

3)Good physical trainers from South Africa or Australia for senior and youth teams. U 16 and U19 players must get this opportunity if we expect somthing good from them in future. A player cant show his full potential if he is not in peak physically.

4)Bringing Robin Singh in the team. Jeje, Sunil both are of short height and they are not very powerful shooter of ball. A 6'1" tall stricker with good spot jump and heading and who can shoot the ball hard will add more variation in the attack. Sunil is 27-28 now. So in future we will have Robin and Jeje/ Malswamfela in the front.
i agree with your 1st three points but i have to disagree with 4th. Robin singh does not have the skills sunil possess...he's still the best Indian striker presently, even though short in height his jump in the air is good and heading is also good+ he has a lot of football left in him(only 27) . Robin has to show his talent in the upcoming fed cup and i league for a place in team India, his show in last i league was ordinary ( as i read in football forums, never seen him play) so maybe he can assure his place in NT this year by having a good show in domestic leagues.
as for height factor we had one abhishek yadav who also not very usefull so talent and skills are also necessary apart from height, having said that robin singh has the height advantage with him , i also want him to be in the Indian side....atleast U 23 if not senior side .

Sabir

DFI TEAM
At present Sunil is bit ahead of Robin not because he his agile and skilled, because of his experience. I have seen Sunil playing since he was just a kid and came to Kolkata to play for Mohun Bagan. We never felt he could reach any hieght. However Sunil proved everyone wrong. But, I can say Robin's age (Robin is 20 now) Sunil was very ordinary player. I have seen Robin playing for East Bengal. Though he played very well in the local league he could not replicate that performance in I-league because of back injury and to some extent because of is inexperience. Dont forget he his a regular in first 11 of EB now despite they have option to have foreighners or players like Sushil Kumar Singha or Sahani. Robin's style is different from Sunil but he is very good in spot jump and heading, very powerful shooter (especially left footer), good passer (that explains so many goals of his partner Tolgey in I -league) and he knows how to use his towering hieght to scare the defenders. And I am saying all this after observing Robin minutely in many matches. (some clips you can find in youtube). And East Bengal seems agree to me as they made a 50L contract with Robin, highest for any TFA graduate in his first year of professional career. EB coach too denied to leave Robin for U23 team as EB was in close contest to win I-league.

You can see him scoring here (0:26,5:32,:9:42)

(0:26,5:32,:9:42)

Most of his goals in CFL which are not avialable in youtube. :(

At present there are many tall strickers we have- Abhishek, Sushil, Sabeeth etc. None of them come close to Robin. Malswamfela , I think much better , but he is too very short like Jeje and Sunil. Using Robin alternatively in matches with Sunil and Jeje will help India and give the young player necessary experience.

Another very talented player we lost in up-front is Asim Biswas. At 19 he was about to replace Vijayan and at 25 he is no where. Injuries took most important 2 years from his career. He was in great form during Afro-Asian games and I wish he will back in form. If Nabi can do so well (his team-mate in U16s), we can pray for Asim's come-back too. Even Nabi too was a prolific scorer in youth teams but coaches changed his position. Had both Asim and Nabi continued playing in up-front It would be a very tough thing for Sunil.

trojan

Country flag
no news of broadcast of i league yet :(

aiff are fcking loosers ....how will the game become popular when there is no broadcast....

Pintu

First , they have roped in DD, after that they moved to Zee Sports, after Zee Sports were renamed as Ten Action + , and there is no sole broadcaster of I League, AFIK , I know , in Kolkata , local channels broadcast the game on the requests, no fixed broadcaster.

Regards

Pintu

This country really has great potential:

Regards

trojan

Country flag
^^^its not that football is not a famous sport in India.
when India plays any international match in delhi you can see full house in ambedkar stadium and long lines of people outside eager to get in.
but the problem is poor marketing by aiff .....you see they dont care to broadcast international matches of India and i league and fans have to be contempt with watching matches online sometime even by online commentary. ( latest was no broadcast of carribean tour )

Sabir

DFI TEAM
We have primitive infrastructure. Can you believe clubs like Mohanbagan, East Bengal, Md Sporting which are there since British era do not have their own grounds (forget stadium and other facilities). They have grounds in Kolkata maidan which actually belongs to Army and they have to leave grounds for hockey during hockey session. Mounted police often chase away footballers during hockey session from the ground :D. Saltlake stadium may be the second largest in the world but it is in pathetic condition, there is no amenities for viewers. Condition in maidan during rainy season is better not said. Even 5-6 years ago ticket price was Rs 2, which has ben raised to Rs 10 now. So, how can we expect any development there. AIFF must specify necessary infrastructures for the teams participating in I-league. If the clubs cant afford, facilities can be built up by third parties (like government or someone else) and given to the clubs on lease. The cost can be covered over the years from the sell of tickets. A 30,000 stadium will easily go full house in Kolkata if EB or MB is playing and there is proper facilities in the stadium. Standard ticket price should be Rs 100. So a club can easily raise few crore per year by selling tickets, car parking and advertisement which will help them to retain and maintain the infrastructure. Some part of it should be utilised to pay the lease money. We have to remember, if there is not proper facilities in the stadium. no civilised person will come to football field. And no channel would like to telecast the match.

There should be restriction on foreign players in local leagues. Because, most of the clubs prefer to use foreign players in key positions like forwards, central defenders which make local players to sit on benches through out the year. No wonder the national team suffers for that. Maximum limit for foreign players in first XI should be 2 in local league and 3 in I-league and other all India tournaments.

It must be mandatory for every clubs in I-league to have U14, U16, U19 teams and necessary facilities for them. Team doctors, qualified physical trainers should be made mandatory. Proper physical training will help to bring out the full potential of a young player.

It is good to see some clubslike Pune FC are joining with better infrastructure. If the corporate clubs like HAL, Air India, Railway, ONGC want, the can also make good infrastructure. For others it is necessary to tap corporate sectors. Atleast Kolkata has shown some ray of hopes here. Business Groups like Pryag, Chirag, Pailan are coming forward to sponsor the teams. Pailan group has taken over Indian Arrows (which is actualy Indian youth team) and they have world class infrastructure in Pailan world school. If others follow these examples we can hope good future of Indian football.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Bann is the AIFF technical director

OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

New Delhi: After months of speculations, All India Football Federation (AIFF) has decided to name Dutch soccer coach Robert Bann as its technical director.

However, the AIFF executive committee would take a final decision on Bann's appointment next week. A former technical director of the Australian national team, 68-year-old Bann had also handled the Aussie national under-23 squad for a brief period.

"We had initially shortlisted two coaches — Bann and Juan Carlos of Spain — but Bann received the nod because of his experience and his ability to communicate in English," AIFF sources said. "Carlos too is competent but he can't speak in English."

A former assistant coach of the Netherlands national team and PSV Eindhoven, Bann visited India last month with Orange Sports Forum, a Dutch sports promotion company to negotiate about setting up the proposed national academy. The federation officials were so impressed with the veteran coach that they offered him a two-year contract.

A senior official of the federation said Bann would be based in the capital and would be expected to make a broad-based plan for the overall development of Indian football. The federation would also consult him while appointing national coaches at various levels.

While Bann's appointment is almost finalised, the federation is yet not sure whether to continue with Armando Colaco as the national coach or to look for a foreigner with a long-term contract.

Under Colaco, India played six matches and won one against Qatar in a friendly tie.

Bann is the AIFF technical director

Colaco's India played all of the matches against much higher ranked team (except Maldives). India won the friendly against Qatar (FIFA ranking around 90) , drew with Maldives , and UAE (in home match after being defeated in the controversial away match 0-3). But lost against Trinidad & Tobago 0-3 and Guyana 1-2. Though performance of India is praised irrespective of the scorelines, Colaco's team selection is under scanner. He wants a long term contract to continue as Indian coach which can compensate his position in Dempo. However AIFF is unlikely to give him a long term offer. So, we can expect a foreign coach for the senior team too. On the other hand , Rob' s role would be of a guide for the development of Indian football. Hope his vast experience will benefit us. It will be good if AIFF recruit good physical trainers for all the teams too.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles