Discussion About Indian Football

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I demand a seperate sticky thread for Indian football....There are many things to discuss. The football fans must have a common space to give their view about Indian football. I propose The moderatorsa shoud update the title regularly with upcoming news or any valuable discussion... Like ...."Indian Football: Armando Colaco is new Indian Coach...

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I hope Armando Colaco will be very helpful for imroving performance of our national sides. He has done good jobs for Dempo. You might have noticed how countries like Bahrin so easily pumped 4-5 goals against us. But Dempo under Colaco beat their champion teams atleast thrice in last two years. What is so special in Colaco? He believe in a style which is suitable with Indian footballers. I dont know why federation looks for British coaches. The long pass and kick-run football is the last thing that our footballers can master. Naturally, coaches like Hoiughton or Constantine have returned without any significant performance. But Colaco prefers short passes and keeping ball on grounds. We have already seen what wonder Spain did playing in similsr manner. We are no way comparable with them technically now, but we try to adopt it , we can see good result within 10 years. What is necessary to persuade all teams in India and academies to follow similar pattern. A style that suits our short-weak physical structures. Best of luck Colaco...

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I heard JCT is going out of business. The club owners decided to quit :(

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I heard JCT is going out of business. The club owners decided to quit :(
Yes, after Mahindra United its JCT. No coverage, no publicity. It is hard to retain the corporate teams in football. JCT and Mahindra United were two clubs with best infrastructure and now they are quiting. Earlier clubs (promoted by corporates) like Bengal Mumbai Club and Kochi FC too failed. If we dont introduce a professional leagues like IPL with international stars and proper infrastructures some others will join the list.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Olympic Qualifier
India U23 team is facing Qatar after sometimes in Chatrapati Shivaji Satadium, Pune. India lost the away match 1-3, though they went ahead at 7 th minute when Jeje managed to send the ball home. Indian goalkeeper Kuttimani saved a penulty to retain the advantage. But Qatar came back in match. Long passes and kick and run football of the Indians became ineffective against tall and powerful players of Qatar. So what India produced was 'Ugly football'. India has to win with a margin of 2-0 atleast to go to the next round. According to FIFA rulr if points and goal-difference become equal, one goal in away match will be considered as two goals. So best of luck for India team and hope they will keep the ball on ground, hold the ball and improve passing.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Match ended in 1-1 draw. India missed a penulty in 20th minutes. Qatar goal keeper saved his team several times but made a blunder in 53rd minutes and conceded a same-side goal. Qatar got the equaliser in 73rd minutes. India improved a lot from the away match in Doha. Defence organisation was better, passing has been improved. But forwards failed to score on couple of good opportunities which cost India a place among top 12 Asian teams that will compete for reaching London Olympic. It was 4th match against Qatar. Qatar won on all 3 occasions earlier. (6-0,2-1,3-1).

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Messi in Kolkata

Huge facelift needed for stadium hosting Messi match: Minister

PTI Jun 22, 2011

KOLKATA: The hype around Lionel Messi playing an international football friendly is becoming bigger by the day but the venue where the much-anticipated match will be held will need a huge facelift to host it.

Realising the 'messy' state of affairs at Yuba Bharati Krirangan, the West Bengal government on Wednesday decided to work on a war footing to ensure that the high-profile FIFA friendly between Argentina and Venezuela is held without any hiccup on September 2.

This the state Sports Minister Madan Mitra said after a meeting with the organisers of the match, Celebrity Management Group, officials of AIFF and IFA.

"Right from goalpost to artificial turf, the stands ... everything is in a state of mess and not fit to hold the match as of now. But we are giving our best effort to make it suitable for the FIFA friendly," Mitra said after the meeting.

"We'll take stock of the situation by visiting the ground with the officials from AIFF, IFA and CMG. The artificial turf is not in a suitable condition and it will be repaired and made fit for the match," he said.

The meeting, however, failed to decide on ticket prices that were reported to be ranging from Rs 1,000 to Rs 5,000.

Mitra said the price of tickets was too high and they would try to lower it.

"Let everything gets ready and then we will decide on the price of the tickets. Hopefully the sale of tickets will begin from the second week of July."

Mitra clarified that there was no involvement of the state government in organising the match and it was just providing the venue free of cost.

On participation of world's most-sought after footballer Messi, Mitra said, "Messi will definitely play here. But there is no confirmation on FIFA President Sepp Blatter's arrival."

He said the match will be telecast live in 156 countries.

Huge facelift needed for stadium hosting Messi match: Minister - Times Of India

Sabir

DFI TEAM

Indian National Team: Long Ball Tactics Should Change – Armando Colaco

The Indian team coach praised the spirit of the boys against Qatar U-23 but did mention a thing or two about the style of play employed...

By Rahul Sengupta
24-Jun-2011 7:01:00 AM

Desmond Bulpin's boys gave a strong performance against Qatar as they held the Middle East giants to a 1-1 draw in the Pre-Olympic Qualifiers. Indian national team coach Armando Colaco had flown in from Delhi to witness the game first hand and had words of praise for the efforts put in by the youngsters.

"The boys played such a great game. This just showed that Indian players have got the talent and skill to do well against stronger teams like Qatar. I am very happy with the result," Colaco told Goal.com.

When quizzed if he liked the direct ball tactics used by the team which has been chastised by the fans as well, a candid Colaco said, "I do not want to criticize any one but I feel that our long ball tactics should change. We do not have tall strikers to meet the long balls fed to the forwards."

Informing us about the new members to be inducted in the senior team camp, the Dempo SC coach said, "Ten India U-23 players will join the senior team. These boys will be the core of my team for the next five-to-six years."

Colaco wants to schedule a few more friendly matches for his team and shall play against the junior side as well. "I want to play some more matches. Matches give us the best opportunity to judge our strengths and weaknesses. If all goes well we shall play against this Olympic team in Delhi soon."

With quite a number of players getting injured in the camp, Colaco explained the reasons for the same.

"Some players are getting injured while training. That happens as all these players had a busy season domestically I am sure with time all this will be solved," commented the experienced coach on the injury situation.

Indian National Team: Long Ball Tactics Should Change – Armando Colaco - Goal.com

indian_sukhoi

Its good to see some Football fans around!!!

I would agree with almando over the Long Ball Tactics. We dont have Tall or physical players for excellent heading ability.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I-League U-19: Triumph Proves JCT's Commitment To Youth Development, Says JCT's Technical Director Sukhwinder Singh

Sukhwinder praises the lads for their winning effort and says the club will think about their future"¦
By Patterson Fernandes
26-Jun-2011 10:27:00 AM

Despite of disbanding their senior team, JCT continues to impress at the national level after winning the Under-19 I-League in Kolkata on Saturday. JCT's technical director Sukhwinder Singh believes this victory proves how serious the club is about youth development.

The Punjabi side held East Bengal to a goalless draw in the last match of the final round. A better goal difference helped JCT pip East Bengal for the title.

JCT topped the Group 'D' to move into the final phase which was held at Kolkata where they competed against the toppers of Group 'A', 'B' and 'C', i.e, Churchill Brothers, Mumbai FC and East Bengal respectively. In the final phase, JCT defeated Churchill 2-0 and later upset Mumbai 4-1. The healthy goal difference meant that Punjab needed only a draw against East Bengal to clinch the title.

"In the last few days the nation expressed their feelings over JCT's breakdown and we realised how much we were respected only after the club was disbanded. The aim is to concentrate on developing football and this result proves it," Sukhwinder told Goal.com.

"After qualifying for the final phase, the team travelled to Kolkata and won the title on East Bengal's home turf in front of their fans which is a big achievement. To add to it they remained unbeaten throughout the tournament," he added.

JCT is the only club from the northern part of the country. Considering that JCT will not be fielding their senior team anymore, the under-19 players will have a tough time in finding a place in a senior set up. Many of the youngsters may have to give up their dream of playing as professional footballers. However, Sukhwinder is keen that the club management will find a solution to the problem.

"Certainly this will not be neglected. The management has said that it wants to focus on development at grassroots level but they will also ponder upon the future on the under-19 players; after all it is very good news that JCT are under-19 champions. We'll need to wait for a few days though, I am sure something will be thought for these players," revealed the former India Under-23 coach.

Meanwhile, media reports suggest that the Punjab sports ministry is keen on saving it's only competitive football club. Apparently, the state sports director Pargat Singh has assured JCT all the support the sports department can render in keeping the club alive. Sukhwinder revealed that the discussions have been conducted at the higher level of authorities. He admits that JCT's survival is crucial for football in Punjab but refrains from blaming the club management for their withdrawal.

"Whatever talks have been going on, are going on at the higher level. I am not part of it. But the efforts are on, we will see what happens. If JCT continues it will be good for Punjab and Indian football. We cannot blame JCT for their decision to disband their team and we also cannot forget their immense contribution to Indian football," he concluded.

I-League U-19: Triumph Proves JCT's Commitment To Youth Development, Says JCT's Technical Director Sukhwinder Singh - Goal.com

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
BCCI had had offered several crores to IFA. Have they availed of this grant?

Sabir

DFI TEAM
BCCI gives money to other sports every year....large portaion of that goes to football federation.

Sabir

DFI TEAM

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Indian Football Association sign former Argentina captain Juan Pablo Sorin for their IPL-inspired Premier League Soccer to be held in Kolkata

Indian Football created a lot of hype lately when World Cuppers Ariel Ortega, Hernan Crespo, Cristian Vieri and Nicky Butt were being linked to clubs like Dempo and East Bengal. But, here is one piece of news that will excite football fans across India. Former Argentinean player Juan Pablo Sorin has officially signed on the dotted lines for Kolkata's very own IPL-style Premier League Soccer (PLS) yesterday.

The league, a joint venture between Indian Football Association (IFA) and Celebrity Management group (CMS), plan to sign more stars in the days to come.

six-team league

Inspired by the success of IPL, the organisers plan to have a six-team franchise league which will be played on home-and-away basis.

The bidding for the teams would start in the first week of August, where only selected companies with a minimum net worth of Rs 10 crores would be invited to bid for six franchise township — Kolkata, Howrah, Barasat, Asansol, Midnapore and Siliguri.

"Juan Pablo Sorin is one of the big signings. Soon you will hear few more high profile players signings in coming weeks.

These players will lead each of the franchise teams," a source in the venture said.

Once the competitive bidding is done, each franchise will hold the rights for a period of 10 years paying a yearly franchise fee.
The source adds that big names such as former Dutch World Cupper Edgar Davids, Japanese icon Junichi Inamoto and Hidetoshi Nakata will be signing shortly. "Among the coaches, Philippe Troussier, who has managed Japan, Nigeria and South Africa at the international stage, is ready to offer his expertise to the project. We are also looking at other high profile coaches to head each team," the source added.

No i-league players
Apart from an icon player, each team will have three other overseas players, one Asian player, minimum five catchment players, minimum six Under-21 players, and maximum 10 players from anywhere in India. The teach should also hire a foreign coach with a UEFA/AFC 'A' Licence. "Our main motto is to take World Cuppers or players who have represented their country successfully. These signings will attract corporates to invest in this venture," he said.

AIFF has already given a cold shoulder to the venture and said that none of their I-League players would take part in the league. It would be interesting to see how the league shapes up.

(One more news East Bengal tried to negotiate with Nuno Gomes the striker of Portugal, but the amount he asked is more than total budget of the club :D)

Sabir

DFI TEAM
First test for Colaco

India is facing Maldives in a friendly today. It is the first match since Armando Colaco has taken over from Bob Houghton. It is to see how Indian players have adopted the pssing football that Colaco has been prescribing. It is to be noted at present Maldives is ranked at per with India. Ali Asfaq -the star striker of Maldives is known is 'Baichung of Maldives' and in two of last three encounters Maldives defeated India.

First half ended 1-1 draw though India was dominating the match. Sunil Chhetry scored from a Steven Dias's cross.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
India Vs Maldives friendly ends in 1-1 draw...
India dominated the first half, seems players are adopting Colaco's strategy well. However in second half Maldives gave our defence a lot of trouble, especially after arraival of their star player Ali Ashfaq. No doubt he is the best player in South Asia at this moment. Jeje missed few easy chances to score else it would have been 3-1 in favour of India. Colaco should drop old Climax and bring in Lal Kamal Bhowmick, and Denzil Franco should come instead of Sameer Nayek if India is looking towards future. Surkumar Singh too is better player in right back. Robin Singh must be included in the team. A 6'2" stricker with powerful shooting ability and good spot jump and heading will be a headache for any opponent.

Another news is coming, India will play a 3 matches searies against Pakistan in England in August. Present Pakistan team is full of foreign players of Pakistani origin. India must send a strong team as it will be matter of prestige, though I think our U21 team too is good enough for them.

GPM

Tihar Jail
Banned
BCCI had offered 25 crorers to AIFF. Have they availed of this offer?

indian_sukhoi

Sabir,..........Any idea when is the match between India vs Pakistan??

And at what channel Broadcast??

niharjhatn

The only indian footballer I know is Baichung Bhutia and that guy who plays in MLS...

any exciting youngsters that are coming up?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles