Discrimination against Kashmiri women

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ashdoc, Dec 2, 2013.

1. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

The Gujarat Chief Minister chose to personally target his J&K counterpart by alleging that Omar Abdullah‘s sister didn’t enjoy the same rights he did. “The rights that your chief minister has, does his sister Sara Pilot enjoy the same rights? No, because she married outside the state. I am not talking about Hindus or Muslims. I am talking about the people of J&K.” “Development comes when there is integration. Men and women must have same rights. Should there be discrimination again women in J&K? Shouldn’t the injustice stop.” Modi said to his audience, that responded with cheers. Abdullah as expected did not take Modi’s statements lying down and took to Twitter to counter. “He very conveniently used me and my sister as examples to illustrate a point that has NO bearing in truth. Either he lies or is ill informed,” Abdullah tweeted.

Modi's 'lalkar' rally: New stand on Article 370, alliance with PDP | Firstpost

3. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

What Modi meant by not treating women same rights as men, meant that if Kasmiri women marries outsider, her husband and children do not get domicile rights in Kashmir. If Kashmiri man marries outsider, both his wife and children get automatic right of domicile in Kashmir. That is a fact and a discrimination against women.

4. happy

happy Senior Member Senior Member

Well, I think it is not only with regards to women but many services in Kashmir are reserved or rather discriminating towards outsiders. If we could somehow make them equal with the other states that would do a lot in alleviating some shortcomings. But for this our army should perform a more tougher task of policing the border.

BTW this is a cheap trick by Modi. Playing with the sentiments of the people and directly challenging the provisions in the constitution ???? Common Modi, you are a wannabe PM !!! What excuse will you give the people of J&K if you are elected as PM ???

5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I am not too sure, but the rule has been changed by the PDP.

6. Decklander

Decklander New Member

Sir what Modi stated is correct. My wife is from jammu. She is no more state subject. The J&K assembly passed a bill which nullfied the state subject rights to women who married non J&K citizens. This was done to just hurt the rights of Hindus as nearly all muslims of J&K marry within their families to retain their family lands within the family as a muslim woman has equal rights over the property. Not only that, in case a man marries a girl from outside the state, again she does not have the rights of a state subject. this bill has been challanged in J&K HC. This bill was passed against the wishes of people from jammu and NC+PDP came together to pass this bill.
    One more case of discrimination is that delimitation became due in J&K also in 2007 but this excercise has not been done in J&K. The militancy has resulted in migration of people from Kashmir valley resulting in change of demography and so there will be more seats in Jammu/Doda/Kishtwar/Leh region than in Kashmir valley which will finish the monopoly of Kashmiris on the affairs of complete J&K state, to ensure that this does not happen, UPA decided not to conduct delimitation in J&K. This is a blatant violation of rules of land. Article 370 is temporary in nature and not a permanant provision. The rules under which other kingdoms were unified within India, same rules were applicable to J&K state also and same instrument of Accession was signed by Raja Hari Singh. Congress is making a fool of the nation.
    The story of Article 370 is same as Reservation for SC/ST. They were temporary provisions. When Hindu succession act was passed, it was stated by Nehru in Parliament and also promised that it will be followed by a UCC but it has not happened till date.
    In 1947, when hindus of J&K came over to India, Sheik Abdullah refused to let them settle in Kashmir, instead he forced them to settle in Jammu region only.

Simple_Guy likes this.
  7. northernarunachalpradesh

northernarunachalpradesh Regular Member

Modi has hit the right nerve and in the right way .

8. Decklander

Decklander New Member

Most hindu women & men have married outside the state and if they get equal rights as the men of J&K, it will turn into hindu/non kashmiri majority state. this is the main reason for such provisions about citizenship. we do have some states which do not allow outsiders to buy land but not even one state has such a provision as J&K state.

9. Eastman

Eastman Regular Member

Meghalaya,Nagaland and to an extend Arunachal Pradesh a few I can recollect.

10. tramp

tramp Senior Member Senior Member

High time somebody challenged the provision in the Supreme Court. The provision is not only one of gender, but a human rights violation as far as women of J&K and their children are concerned.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013