Dinesh Trivedi to resign as rail minister

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

NEW DELHI: Four days after the rail budget, railway minister Dinesh Trivedi finally agreed to resign from his post. TMC leader Mukul Roy to replace Trivedi as rail minister. Sources within PMO said they are yet to receive any resignation letter from rail minister Dinesh Trivedi.

Railway Minister Dinesh Trivedi resigned on Sunday evening after speaking to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee. Trivedi had called up the Trinamool chief expressing his willingness to abide by the party's wishes and resign.

Mamata Banerjee told reporters, "Dinesh Trivedi called in. He will resign tonight."

Said Trivedi, "She (Mamata Banerjee) spoke to me. The TMC wants me to resign. I told her I will abide by the party and resign."

Mamata added, "I am going to Delhi... nothing else. Sometimes we meet in Delhi. This time Parliament is in session, so I am happy because I haven't been to Parliament for one year." Sources in the TMC added that Trivedi was sure to resign.

Mamata Banerjee was reportedly set to arrive in Delhi on Sunday night. Sources said that the Trinamool Congress chief had sought an appointment with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to press for Trivedi's removal. Mamata is also expected to meet Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee. She had reportedly asked all her party MPs to be available in Delhi for the meet.

Dinesh Trivedi had been insistent till now that he would not quit his post unless he got a written order from Mamata. He said on Sunday that the Railway Ministry could not be treated as somebody's property, although, he added that he had full regards for the Trinamool Congress supremo.

Mamata was reportedly upset with the Railway Minister over the train fare hikes announced in the Rail Budget. Trivedi had reportedly not consulted the Trinamool Congress over the budget, either. The Trinamool Congress wants Mukul Roy, a close aide of Mamata, as the Railway Minister.

Dinesh Trivedi will resign as railway minister, Trinamool supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced here Sunday.

"Trivedi called me up. He has told me that he will resign. And he will stay with the party," Banerjee told mediapersons.

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/12318153.cms

3. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Mamata is the new face of the Left, without the left. My predictions about TMC are coming true.

Opposing FDI in retail and the railway budget, Mamata has taken West Bengal 10 years back, in her 1 year reign.

ejazr likes this.
  4. Yusuf

NEW DELHI: Ending days of stalemate with the Trinamool Congress leadership, Dinesh Trivedi on Sunday resigned as railway minister after speaking with party chief mamata Banerjee. TMC leader Mukul Roy to replace Trivedi as railway minister.

A source close to Trivedi said he forwarded his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

This follows a talk with Trinamool supremo and West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee earlier Sunday.

Mamata Banerjee told reporters, "Dinesh Trivedi called in. He will resign tonight."

Said Trivedi, "She (Mamata Banerjee) spoke to me. The TMC wants me to resign. I told her I will abide by the party and resign."

Dinesh Trivedi had been insistent till now that he would not quit his post unless he got a written order from Mamata. He said on Sunday that the Railway Ministry could not be treated as somebody's property, although, he added that he had full regards for the Trinamool Congress supremo.

Mamata was reportedly upset with the railway minister over the train fare hikes announced in the Rail Budget. Trivedi had reportedly not consulted the Trinamool Congress over the budget, either.

The Times of India on Mobile

5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

So the Drama Queen wins!

Spineless MMS whimpers and the Queen Bee loses her sting!

Any comment from the Court Jester Digvijay?

6. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Replacing Railway Minister doesn't matter on broder horizon, what remains to be seen is if GOI withdraws Trivedi's budget.

I am sure BJP will cry an ocean to rollback the proposed budget.

7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Mukul Roy is not fit to be the head of anything.

Therefore, it matters as to who is the Railway Minister.

What has BJP to do with it?

I am not BJP, but I am crying not a river, but an ocean.

And I am not even a Leftist.

I dislike this populist Congress - the root cause of our ills!

And I am no Sikh to be from the Akali.

I am merely an Indian!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  8. Yusuf

Coalition is the bane of Indian democracy. Sooner we get single party rule, the better.

Galaxy likes this.
  9. H.A.

H.A. Senior Member Senior Member

Less than a year in an office and already stirred a storm....

What about MMS saying before the budget that they have the numbers and what about the SP support that they were supposedly going to get if TMC backed out?

10. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

I agree. :thumb:

11. Galaxy

12. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

i have heard kangress is in talks with SP to kick mamta black-mailing ass

13. Galaxy

Yes. They are.

But SP too wants early election so that they can translate recent success into Loksabha seat. Momentum is in SP favor.

14. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

Bengalis are are royally screwed. the only alternative to the left turned to be a much worse left:tsk:

15. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

As long as the fares are not rolled back..they (the bleeding ministers) can come and go.

16. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Its sad to see that when we have decent politicians willing to do the right thing, they are treated so harshly by their own party instead of the party to stick with them.

What is shocking is the leaks that Mamata KNEW about the railway fare hike and still went all crazy when it was announced.

There are rumours that Congress is using this crisis to break a deal on FDI in retail and a fuel price hike later in the year. But for all we know, she might just go back on her word at the last moment

parijataka likes this.
  17. Oracle

Oracle New Member

You're in support of dictatorship? How about the system in US? That way we know who we are voting for. I would support a 2 party system, no regional parties.

Would you agree if the single party is Congress?

Skewed thinking. Mamata's policies screw India as a whole. It does not screw Bengalis alone. If Railways are not modernised, you are screwed too, ain't it mate?

18. Yusuf

No, no dictatorship. I have always supported true US system.

19. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Please correct me if I am wrong, the US has a 2 party system and 3 levels of federal government.

Either way, democracy shines in US, more so it is flaunted in India to hide policy failures of successive governments.

20. Yusuf

I think you misunderstood my post or may be I was not too clear. We need a single party in power be it BJP or Congress. No to khichdi.

If we get a constitutional amendment to adopt the US style system adapted to Indian requirements, we could solve a lot of problems including corruption .

parijataka likes this.
  21. Oracle

Oracle New Member

I get it now. :)

The second line of your post is a very good move, but that amendment would not live enough to see the light of 1 single day.