Dhruv Heliborne AEW

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
It is understood that the Army will be looking for a system that can be integrated with the existing ALH Dhruv airframe, though it is unclear if this will be an all-new product on new airframes, or retrofitted on an existing number of Dhruv units already in service

Principally a sensor package for full integration with the Dhruv platform, the Army is looking for a system for early warning of aircraft and land units, stand-off surveillance and intelligence gathering. AEW units will give the Army a valuable tactical battlefield asset, currently missing in its flying inventory

Army scouts for heliborne AEW | idrw.org

Army scouts for heliborne AEW - SP's Land Forces

p2prada

That's an anti-ship version. The radar is in the nose. Basically to fire a cruise missile at a target.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I am sure Americans are busy presenting something similar to Army.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lockheed Martin's Vigilance podded system
Lockheed Martin Offers Bolt-on Multi-Mission Sensor System

Lockheed Martin UK Integrated Systems has unveiled a self-contained sensor pod that can be fitted easily to helicopters and airlifters to convert them for a variety of airborne surveillance missions. At the core of the package, which Lockheed Martin has named Vigilance, is an adaptation of Northrop Grumman's fighter-size APG-80/81 AESA radar series.

The sensor pod can be mounted on a hardpoint or a rigid frame and contains the radar antenna, processor and power supply, an IFF interrogator, GPS/INS, ESM sensors and its own cooling system. Two of them carried on either side of the platform can provide 360-degree coverage.

Vigilance can be operated in an entirely self-contained mode. Thanks to the capability and flexibility of the fourth-generation active electronically scanned array (AESA), missions can include airborne early warning and control, anti-surface warfare, battlefield surveillance and search-and-rescue.

The initiative is aimed at countries that prefer to adapt existing platforms, rather than make a heavy investment in dedicated assets. Lockheed Martin officials suggested fitting the pods to C-130 or CN-235 transports, as well as H-60, Merlin/AW101 or Mi-17 helicopters.
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...artin-offers-bolt-multi-mission-sensor-system

I am sure this is the one..

There are no other exsists, Except if DRDO have Similar Plans with BFSR..

venkat

yes its not an AEW !!! it is probably SV-2000 super vision Radar ,which could be a maritime patrol Radar!!!! I think not clicked due to no navy orders for dhruv....

p2prada

Ka-31

AugustaWestland AW101 Merlin

AS532 Cougar

Westland Seaking

No idea if this move by IA to place a radar on a light helicopter is a logical move, but in case they go for it Dhruv would be carrying something similar to these helicopters.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
ALH Dhruv based Early warning system for Indian Army

India Army is planning to procure helicopter-borne early warning systems. The new system from private sector or Defence Public Sector Unit, Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) will give formation commanders an insight into enemy territory while serving as warning systems for approaching aircraft and armoured units.

The project, which would involve developing a new system in collaboration with a foreign partner, can be lucrative for the Indian defence industry, as the final order would be for a large number of the early warning systems.

Army aviation is now operating the ALH and is set to order a new fleet of light attack helicopters that are being developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).

ALH Dhruv based Early warning system for Indian Army

shiphone

Country flag
using sonar in the air for the anti sub purpose? you'd better recheck it....and obviously the thing in the nose dome of Ka25 is Surface searching Radar....it should be the same as ALH N901 in pic

--------------------------------
and the sonar developed by DRDO's Naval Physical Oceanographic Laboratory fitting on Naval ALH would be dipping configuration

--------------------------------

IN-901 is the first Dhruv to be fitted with radar and other avionics standard to the final multirole naval variant of the helicopter and recently completed torpedo and depth charge dropping trials at Vishakapatnam, with further trials to take place later. An external payload of up to 1500 kg may be carried on pylons mounted on cabin-side hardpoints. The second helicopter to have similar features, IN-703, was also the first to feature the rescue-hoist system. IN-705 may be the next helicopter to undergo upgradation and already features the rescue-hoist system. The Indian Navy will operate a mix of general utility and ASW/ASV Dhruvs. (DRDO, via B Harry)

Last edited:

pmaitra

sonar in the air? you'd better recheck it....and obviously the thing in the nose dome of Ka25 is Surface searching Radar.
Kamov-25 was designed for anti-submarine warfare. They would rather search under the surface than the surface itself. What we are saying is plausible speculation.

shiphone

Country flag
it might be better if a plausible speculation bases on some basic knowledge...it's all right to make some mistake sometimes.
----------------------------------

actually it is a quite old pic discussed on other indian military forum as I remembered...we could find something else, and it should be a prototype(Naval ALH)...

---------------------------------

Last edited:

pmaitra

it might be better if a plausible speculation bases on some basic knowledge...it's all right to make some mistake sometimes.
It's all right to make mistakes, true, but when pointed out, one should correct himself. I think you should correct yourself because you claimed it was for scanning the surface, or provide links to support your claim.

BTW, Kamov-25 was meant for anti-submarine warfare, and I am repeating this for the second time. I cannot say with certainty what that picture posted by @bhramos does, but if you can say with certainty, please share your sources.

Also:

sonar in the air? you'd better recheck it....and obviously the thing in the nose dome of Ka25 is Surface searching Radar.
Who said sonar cannot be used in the air?

Last edited by a moderator:

shiphone

Country flag
using sonar in the air for the anti sub purpose?
Last edited by shiphone; 04-11-12 at 07:48 AM.

-----------------------------------

easy, friend... nothing big here...LOL

shiphone

Country flag
It's all right to make mistakes, true, but when pointed out, one should correct himself. I think you should correct yourself because you claimed it was for scanning the surface, or provide links to support your claim.

BTW, Kamov-25 was meant for anti-submarine warfare, and I am repeating this for the second time. I cannot say with certainty what that picture posted by @bhramos does, but if you can say with certainty, please share your sources.

Also:

==========================

Who said sonar cannot be used in the air?
1. I really can't understand your logic...and I think there is enough info about the point in my post.
2. so ,would you give your source plz.: who said sonar could be used in air(for searching the Subs)? I hardly heard about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Defcon 1

Country flag
One question, what is the use of a AEW system for the army? Army's units are not mobile enough to take advantage of early warning, and also I suspect capability of an AEW to locate and track land units accurately.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lockheed Martin's Vigilance podded system
Lockheed Martin Offers Bolt-on Multi-Mission Sensor System

Lockheed Martin UK Integrated Systems has unveiled a self-contained sensor pod that can be fitted easily to helicopters and airlifters to convert them for a variety of airborne surveillance missions. At the core of the package, which Lockheed Martin has named Vigilance, is an adaptation of Northrop Grumman's fighter-size APG-80/81 AESA radar series.

The sensor pod can be mounted on a hardpoint or a rigid frame and contains the radar antenna, processor and power supply, an IFF interrogator, GPS/INS, ESM sensors and its own cooling system. Two of them carried on either side of the platform can provide 360-degree coverage.

Vigilance can be operated in an entirely self-contained mode. Thanks to the capability and flexibility of the fourth-generation active electronically scanned array (AESA), missions can include airborne early warning and control, anti-surface warfare, battlefield surveillance and search-and-rescue.

The initiative is aimed at countries that prefer to adapt existing platforms, rather than make a heavy investment in dedicated assets. Lockheed Martin officials suggested fitting the pods to C-130 or CN-235 transports, as well as H-60, Merlin/AW101 or Mi-17 helicopters.
Lockheed Martin Offers Bolt-on Multi-Mission Sensor System | Aviation International News

Except if DRDO have Similar Plans with BFSR..

One question, what is the use of a AEW system for the army? Army's units are not mobile enough to take advantage of early warning, and also I suspect capability of an AEW to locate and track land units accurately.

indian_sukhoi

If the requirement is for surveillance and intelligence gathering, that it would good move.

Tactical surprise and locating the enemy movements is very important. These could help to locate enemy command center by intercepting radio signals and transfer the data to artillery fire-control computers.

The disadvantges would be, Helis circlig to gather intel would be easy targets for enemy SAMs and Aircrafts.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles