Dhoti issue rocks Tamil Nadu assembly

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Clubs have a dress code where western dress, Bandgalas and like are allowed and wearing of shoes too. They don't allow children below 18 to enter Bars.

They do not allow people in with dhotis, kurta and pyjama or in slipper to include Hawaii chappals.

There is no doubt that India is an independent country and all things Indian should be allowed.

Yet, the Clubs are but private associations and governed by by laws which are legal under the Societies Act.

The Act states inter alia other issues:

Therefore, since the rules and regulations are also appended, it is deemed to be acceptable when the registration of the club is found to be acceptable by law.

Hence the dichotomy arises wherein the dress code does not allow some Indian form of dress, while allowing formal western style of dressing or thereof.

The interesting point raised by Jayalalithaa is that it is against the 'culture'.

Some may argue that the dress as per the culture is what is enshrined for entry into some ancient and important temples in South India where one has to wear the dhoti and be barebodied without shoes. There is no doubt that the temples alone maintain the real culture and traditions from the ancient times, without getting polluted by changing fashions of the contemporary times in history.

A very confusing conundrum since culture that is mentioned by anyone is an abstraction that appeals to the one make a point in deciding what is our culture and which is dependent as per one's interpretation that is influenced by many factors, to include political, personal and so on.

The TV channels were showing TN Lawyers protesting wearing their black jacket, dhotis and slippers or shoes.

Now, why wear the jacket? Is that part of our culture and Indian dress code?

What is the answer?

3. Ray

It was redressing a change to see a Minister not standing on egos and causing an uproar and embarrassment and instead obeying the Club rules.

4. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

abhi_the _gr8_maratha Senior Member Senior Member

refused club entry cause of wearing dhoti.... This simply means the guy thinks indian wears are sub-ordinate.

5. Jagdish58

Jagdish58 Regular Member

Then AK antony can also be banned from entering Chepauk LOL:toilet: great ban antony

Nincompoops India is facing problem of poverty , Unemployment , Malnutrition , sick to here some dhoti wearing guys was refused entry in chepauk & it becomes a issue to have a heated discussion in assembly:frusty::facepalm:

6. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

I don't there is any reason to ban dhotis. But then, they private clubs and can frame their own rules.

7. Ray

What about lungi?

That is also what is worn by many Muslims.

Now a days, many non Muslims also wear lungis since it is easier to wear than a dhoti.

In fact, unless a dhoti is starched it looks lousy.

A lungi does not even require to be starched!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  8. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

abhi_the _gr8_maratha Senior Member Senior Member

what that has to do with this sir, I am saying we should decide modern or old people on dresses they year

9. Ray

I have not understood what you mean.

What I am saying is that a private organisation can decide its own rules.

Can one force a Naga Sanyasi to wear some clothes since roaming around nude is not 'Indian culture'?

Or force Muslim women not to wear the burqa since it is not Indic culture?

In Pakistan, the police and the para military wear salwar kameez as it is Muslim culture.

Why not have dhoti and kurta for our Police and paramilitary to conform to 'Indian culture'?

In essence, I want to say that this controversy is stupid.

For instance, I find the muezzins of India most disturbing to peace and tranquillity of the mind since they are most unmelodious and loud.

Yet, in Malaysia, I found it most soothing and harmonious even though I was standing next to a Mosque.

It is all on the attitude and making the environment acceptable to those involved.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  10. Ajesh

Ajesh Regular Member

Same Old problem of Indians hating their Own Culture and traditions.