DFI - AV/Hi-Fi & Allied Gear Discussion Thread

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Projectors have a 'lamp life', usually of 4000 hours, after which it goes bad. Getting a second hand projector means it is nearing its death. This is for normal projectors. The one which I mentioned above is a lampless projector, it uses lazer projection. It's good value for money considering there is no replacement.

Btw, the movie which we see in multiplex is 9k resolution, so having a 4k monitor that is 32 inch does not do justice to the monitor or the graphics card. It's like taking a Ferrari to do grocery shopping.
of all the projectors that i've seen on sale in classifieds, dont recall anyone being used for more than 300 or so hours; max i had seen was a 3-yr old projector, but that too had an hour-count of 900 something. thats because people like us in regular jobs get projectors (or any device for that matter) in a spurt of enthusiasm, but then use them sparingly. same's the case with these. a usage of once-twice a week or may be just a movie a month (for those who buy it just to watch movies/sports). so its a safe bet i think. additionally, one could get some good featured quality stuff but at a lesser expense, than splurging a premium on a new one only to discover later that we're using it too less.

@aditya10r - why the heck do you need THREE GPUs?! :shock:
the usage warrants that?

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
You know

I play games

And

Huh,I just want to have a 3 way sli setup

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
You know

I play games

And

Huh,I just want to have a 3 way sli setup
how would it help? for even higher resolutions? for 4k 2-way is fine, & 3rd card MAY not scale that well. but there's a youtuber who's got 3 titan cards & tweaked in such a way that the 3rd card is doing well.

P.S. - a single fury X will also be sufficient at even more than 4k i presume.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Now a days I am not enjoying playing games (actually I am not getting much time), I play Crysis2 and Just Cause 2. But I don't have dgpu, just playing with igpu of i3 6100 (Hd530).
So my questions are -

Can adding a dgpu bring my interest back ?

Can a dgpu reduce eye fatigue ?

Is adding a dgpu a good option ?

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
Now a days I am not enjoying playing games (actually I am not getting much time), I play Crysis2 and Just Cause 2. But I don't have dgpu, just playing with igpu of i3 6100 (Hd530).
So my questions are -

Can a dgpu reduce eye fatigue ?

Is adding a dgpu a good option ?
1.) It quite possibly can if you get more frames that too on ultra settings you would feel like a king and games are your slaves.
2.) Yup if it plays at 60fps(increase in fps helps alot) if not just get gaming glasses bro.
3.) If you do medium-heavy gaming than Yes.

A chauhan

Country flag
1.) It quite possibly can if you get more frames that too on ultra settings you would feel like a king and games are your slaves.
+1
2.) Yup if it plays at 60fps(increase in fps helps alot) if not just get gaming glasses bro.
If yes then I would love to buy one.

3.) If you do medium-heavy gaming than Yes.
Yes I am not a heavy gamer, but many softwares rely more on gpu.

But still I don't want to spend more than 12k for gpu.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Hi Guys ...glad to see a thread ... I'm a techie fan for both AV and Gaming

I'm planning to buy a Gaming laptop, well I was amazed by the VR, But after seeing the price I can't afford

The MSI laptop with VR comes more than a Lakh, while the VR device also costs some 70,000 for Oculus Rift

damn If the VR gear price comes down by less than 20,000 i can able to buy

anyway my question is 3D is enough for me, or should i go uber costly VR laptop and Gear

Krusty

Country flag
Damn it.... I am hard pressed for time as it is and @OneGrimPilgrim creates this thread (and I'm not even invited :prison:). I can't even keep up with the automotive thread or any others for that matter.

+1 @mendosa

Just one advice to everyone looking out for a display. 4K/UHD is pointless in anything less than a 50inch screen. Do not fall for marketing gimmicks. Your eye will never be able to differentiate between a full HD and UHD in a 32 inch screen. End of story. Don't believe the marketing hype. By the time there is enough 4K content, 8K ultra will be the standard. This is how businesses run people. By keeping running with confusing choices. Choose a size that is best suited to your need. If it's 32 inch, don't bother with 4K or UHD.

Not to mention there isn't a lot of 4K content anyway.

My advise is get a good full HD display and invest in good graphics cards.

@aditya10r why do you need 3 graphics cards? Just curious.

I am a big time gamer myself. I mainly play Gears of war and World of Warcraft online and Mass effect and Doom single player on my dual GTX1070 on my PC in chennai and the Gtx 880m on my laptop. Yes I do face rediculous heating issues on my laptop

Damn it pilgrim ji

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
anyway my question is 3D is enough for me, or should i go uber costly VR laptop and Gear
Saar, my advise is, VR is still in its infancy. Current VR is great for n00bs but trust me, in a couple of years they will make gigantic leaps in VR gear. Best stick with 3D for now. Switch to VR a bit later IMHO

mendosa

No. You need a wife. :yo:

But still I don't want to spend more than 12k for gpu.
12k is the sweet spot for GPUs.

Get an IPS monitor. The color quality difference between IPS and other types of screens is day and night.

IPS comes with a slight lag which is noticeable in FPS games. But if you are playing exploration games like Crysis, Farcry etc, it's a boon.

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag

Get an IPS monitor. The color quality difference between IPS and other types of screens is day and night.

IPS comes with a slight lag which is noticeable in FPS games. But if you are playing exploration games like Crysis, Farcry etc, it's a boon.

Ayya if I may chip in, IPS is great for still images and Color reproduction. But as you said, TN has less ghosting. IPS should be OK unless you are into competitive league gaming. Almost every hardcore gaming guild (especially FPSplayers) prefer high end TN monitors in competitions.

IPS offeres better visual experience whereas TN offers better gaming (especially in Low and mid range IPS vs TN displays)

Depends on what you are looking for and hard as it might be digest, how much your eyes perceive ghosting. People with 20/20 vision will find it most annoying

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Saar, my advise is, VR is still in its infancy. Current VR is great for n00bs but trust me, in a couple of years they will make gigantic leaps in VR gear. Best stick with 3D for now. Switch to VR a bit later IMHO
Thanks for the Suggestion, well I will try for a Laptop with 120hz refresh rate so I can able to view 3D on laptop screen itself using glass.

again suggestions welcome, are those laptop displays good for 3D viewing or better stick with dedicated TV having 3D support

Krusty

Country flag
Thanks for the Suggestion, well I will try for a Laptop with 120hz refresh rate so I can able to view 3D on laptop screen itself using glass.

again suggestions welcome, are those laptop displays good for 3D viewing or better stick with dedicated TV having 3D support
Wow.. 120Hz on a laptop. High FPS gaming?

mendosa

Ayya if I may chip in, IPS is great for still images and Color reproduction. But as you said, TN has less ghosting. IPS should be OK unless you are into competitive league gaming. Almost every hardcore gaming guild (especially FPSplayers) prefer high end TN monitors in competitions.

IPS offeres better visual experience whereas TN offers better gaming (especially in Low and mid range IPS vs TN displays)

Depends on what you are looking for and hard as it might be digest, how much your eyes perceive ghosting. People with 20/20 vision will find it most annoying
Someone with a <20k rupee graphics card is not a league gamer. We are all Gharelu gamers here.

I went from a Dell Laptop with 5XXX series 512MB Graphics card (VA Panel/ 720p/ 65% color gamut) to a Dell Ultrasharp U2414h (H-IPS/ 1080p) with 89% color gamut, with a 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics card. The change was very drastic. Ghosting noticeably visible (the card was giving 60fps, so it was not card lag) but all of that was overridden by how beautiful everything looked.

The first game I installed was farcry 3. The colors just pop like firecrackers. It felt very immersive.

@SajeevJino 120hz laptop? The cheapest one starts at 2L. Not worth the price. VR is a hype. There are no VR games or good VR/3D content anyway.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
@SajeevJino 120hz laptop? The cheapest one starts at 2L. Not worth the price. VR is a hype. There are no VR games or good VR/3D content anyway.
I dropped my VR dream just few hours ago :biggrin2::biggrin2:

Well 3D too sucks on Laptop ...

what you guys think about those latest MSI laptops comes with intel 7700 HQ and GTX 10 series card

A chauhan

Country flag
LOL! you are right :pound:

True !

I have a 22" non ips monitor, and I don't intend to upgrade it at least for a year since I am not a hard core gamer though I agree that IPS is better ...

Krusty

Country flag
MSI has few Laptops coming on GTX 1060, Saying display refresh rate is 120+hz which is good for 3D vision

Eg, Apache Pro
Unless you are really looking at mobility, gaming laptops are a very bad idea. I have owned an Alienware and currently using an MSI.

I'd say it's best to invest in a desktop with good hardware. I move around a lot so I use laptops. I do not have a choice. Laptops get really hot while running games. You can't use gaming laptops outside because they are usually very heavy and get very hot. They are really bad gaming machines and bad in terms of usage on the go too. And since they generally run hot, their components fail early..

Unless you really need it, just get a good desktop. 120Hz laptops are insanely expensive and really not worth it. you can get a desktop that performs atleast 50% faster for half the price.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles