Denied temple access, Dalit converts to Islam

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by warrior monk, Mar 14, 2015.

1. warrior monk

warrior monk Regular Member

Denied temple access, Dalit converts to Islam

A month ago, he called himself Shyam Singh. Now he declares himself “Azad” (liberated). The symbolic name not only sums up his situation, but is also his new identity.

Shyam, a member of the Dalit Valmiki community in Moga village of Meerut, converted to Islam two weeks ago.

A landless labourer, he didn’t convert only because the community was denied access to a prominent Valmiki temple, located in nearby Baghpat district, to perform the traditional puja.

He changed his faith also because of the “continuous threats and harassment” he and his fellow community members had to face from the local law and order officials after he persisted with his demand to have the right to perform puja at the temple.

The temple is controlled by the dominant Yadav community, and the priests had problems with the Valmikis performing puja. After their efforts to get equal rights failed, they announced that they would convert to Islam. Last week, the Meerut administration booked Shyam and his family for “disturbing peace and communal harmony” by persisting with their demand to perform puja at the temple and the announcement about converting to Islam.

In November last year, Shyam and his community members were told by the priest that they didn’t have any rights to perform puja.

‘What is the point in being a Hindu if I can’t enter a temple’

Since November last year, Shyam has petitioned the District Magistrates of Baghpat and Meerut, and the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes. He also petitioned the Prime Minister’s Office.

“What is the point in being a Hindu and having this sacred thread around my wrist if I can’t even enter a temple and perform puja,” he argued.

While Shyam has converted to Islam, his fellow Valmikis, numbering over 100, are scared and don’t want to raise the issue. They are thinking of migrating to some other part of the State to escape official harassment.

Shyam himself now plans to migrate to Nepal.

Interestingly, the announcement of the conversion plan by Shyam and his fellow Dalits provoked immediate attention from right-wing Hindu outfits, which requested them not to convert.

“All of them wanted us not to convert to Islam, but none of them want us to get equal status among Hindus. This is how we have historically and traditionally been cheated,” said Shyam.

Sub-Divisional Magistrate, Baghpat, Rajendar Singh told The Hindu that the Valmikis were denied permission to perform the elaborate puja in their own style as it was a “new” religious tradition.

Denied temple access, Dalit converts to Islam - The Hindu

GUYS WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN UP. THE YADAVS ARE DESTROYING UP.

3. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

It is quite sad that even today we Indians cannot do away with caste based discrimination. It is time we Indians change , otherwise such incidents will continue.

4. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Something really needs to be done about these places - UP, Bihar, Jharkhand, Haryana. These are the places where 90% of these vile things still happen.

jackprince and maomao like this.
  5. shekhar

shekhar Regular Member

Inter caste marriages...n no change in sername of girl..everyone will have its own name ..plus education...then only we can eradicate caste system

6. Bangalorean

And by the way, news like this reinforces my belief in urbanization, industrialization and modernization. The Indian ideal of "romantic village life" is a pile of bullshit. Ambedkar agreed with me, he expressed the same sentiments about village life in India.

We need 2 more Mumbais, 5 more Bangalores, 10 more Punes, 20 more Surats and 40 more Bhilais. And all this in the next 15 years. This is the real way forward towards progress and development - both economic and social. And by the way, the latter follows the former, automatically in most cases.

By the way, I watched NH10 today evening. Awesome movie for the entertainment quotient, but it kinda reinforces my point about urbanization, for those who care to understand. There are a few awesome dialogues in the movie:

"Madam ji, Gurgaon ka aakhri mall jahan khatam hota hai, wahin par aapka democracy aur constitution bhi khatam ho jaata hai" (Madam, "democracy" and the "constitution" cease to exist beyond the limits of the last mall in Gurgaon).

"Madam ji, aapko anpa caste nahi pata. Yahan gaon mein to 12 saal ka baccha apni toh kya, padosi ka caste bhi bol dega" (Madam, you don't even know what your caste is. In our villages, even a 12 year old kid will know not only his own caste, but also his neighbours')

"Madam ji, us police waale ki majboori samjho. Woh aasman se toh nahi tapka hai na. Woh bhi usi gaon ka hai. Usne agar aapki madad ki to uska hukka paani band kar diya jaayega. Teen betiyan hain uski. Kaun shaadi karega unse?" (Madam, please understand the circumstances of that policeman. He hasn't dropped from the sky, he is from the same village too. If he had helped you, the villagers would have imposed social boycott on him. He has three daughters, who would marry them?)

These are realities. This is the hard truth. NH10 is not just a thriller out of the figment of some writer's imagination. Haryana and West UP need to be beaten into shape. 80% of the bad press that India gets as a whole is from 4-5 regions.

I've had enough romanticization of idyllic self-sustained village life. Neither is that path going to provide us prosperity, nor will it provide us social upliftment and a free society. Gandhi was wrong, Ambedkar was right. Urbanization, urbanization, urbanization.

@Mad Indian, @pmaitra, @Sakal Gharelu Ustad, @Kay

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    anoop_mig25 and Samar Rathi like this.
  7. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

hor dharam mar gaye si. .................... just islam ????

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad:

8. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

72 virgins??

Sameet Pattnaik likes this.
  9. Kay

Kay Regular Member

The Indian caste system was conceived by the priestly caste, who are in charge with interpreting the religious scriptures. They had opposed all changes to the system in-spite of numerous attempts from inside Hinduism to change it. It is their self- serving nature which has given rise to the main criticism of Hinduism.
    This article describes how many times the priestly class has dismantled attempts to abolish caste system by other Hindus.
    The Legacy Of Brahmanism: Abomination of Untouchability And Curse Of Caste System | Nirmukta
    I provided this link in a different thread also.

The solution to this is education (for greater awareness) , healthcare (for less dependency on faith and the divine) and development (for poverty alleviation and countering faith).

About, Gandhian economy - that is not a possibility anymore - nor practical. But that is how we should have built our economy initially before moving to heavy industries. Focus on local development would have reduced wealth disparity. Wealth disparity reduces patriotism or nationalistic feelings and breeds contempt. Poor people also have a lot of self-worth and expect a lot from elected representatives. They are generally more enthusiastic voters, even if sometimes their vote can be bought because of circumstances.

Of course the future is about urbanization - but we have to make sure that the poor get the benefits of development in a dignified way and not just in a trickle down manner. Improvement of livelihood of the poor should be the focus of development, not the byproduct of development. And technologies which benefit the poor should be prioritized like low-cost housing, cheaper electricity, etc.
    Apathy only makes a nation fragile.

Peter likes this.
  10. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Village life has been continuously deteriorating. Even Gurgaon and Delhi have enough villages inside them with same parochial mindset. The rich farmers should be forced to do some hard work to knock sense into their brains.

But caution about bad press about West UP and Haryana. They only get highlighted because they are close to Delhi. Go to east UP and Bihar and you would not come back to tell any stories. Caste and village politics is much hard wired in other places not reported in national press.

Bangalorean likes this.
  11. Bangalorean

I get your point reg. Haryana and West UP. I guess what shocks people is the relative "modernity" that prevails in West UP and Haryana. They have Scorpios and Pajeros and smartphones and gigantic LCD TVs, but their mentality remains underdeveloped. In East UP and Bihar, there is no material prosperity/modernity either.

12. Kay

Kay Regular Member

There was a gang rape ordered as punishment to a woman for loving someone outside of her community by a panchayat in West Bengal quite recently. People of all sort of mentality is present in all states. Singling out some states is wrong.

Samar Rathi likes this.
  13. Otm Shank2

Otm Shank2 Regular Member

why dont reasonable hindus or RSS types do that Dharna fasting thing at temples that operate this discriminatory and reprehensible way? It seems to socially accepted by our community when no one is organizing social repercussions for dividing the Hindu community...

maomao, Samar Rathi and Vishwarupa like this.
  14. Mad Indian

Mad Indian Proud Bigot Veteran Member Senior Member

I think urbanisation will solve only half of the problem- overt caste discrimination. IMO, only intercaste marriages and interbreeding beyond recognition of all castes is the only way to solve all caste problems

Kay likes this.
  15. Bangalorean

Yes, and that half of the problem is a great start. Intercaste marriage and interbreeding will automatically happen in cities. There are dozens of intercaste marriages in the call centers, BPOs and IT companies of Bangalore on a daily basis. But just 50 km away from Bangalore, there's not even one.

If we don't urbanize, forget about eradicating caste discrimination.

Kay likes this.
  16. genius

genius Regular Member

Rss and other hindu groups are hate organizations - their agenda is NOT social progress. It is in fact the opposite. They will sustain caste system rather than destroy it. They will oppress women instead of liberating them. Most of them have the same attitude as the nirbhaya rapists when it comes to social issues. So how can you expect them to do something as socially progressive as fighting against caste?

17. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

I agree, RSS is behind ISIS and Boko Haram, it is trying to tarnish the image of Peaceful ones through false flags like 9/11.

18. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

You are right.

That is why they have backed a teli or ganchi called Modi.

maomao likes this.
  19. Ancient Indian

Ancient Indian Unplugged Version Senior Member

You reek of some thing awful, my sir.

Perhaps, a morning bath will help you to make people agree with your posts.

20. Samar Rathi

Samar Rathi Regular Member

Yup destroy RSS and you will have shining India :)

I know by wearing short nekar they are oppressing women then with lathi they are killing every non hindu then low caste hindu ok?

As for the OP yeah it happen in this area but not all of UP and Haryana are like this but only the few villages .People generalizing the whole state is like generalizing Indian people as rapist :|

Last year there was a incident where i heard some temple washed the floor after dalit go to them but it was as shock to us as to any of other indians state.The pattern i find is this "where is no good road/transportation service and education quality as well as job is low and this things happen"

So if you want to eradicate this then you have to industrialize UP and believe me people here want this as much as rest of India , as one of my friend said ,"we have to do gundagardi as that's the only way to put food in our family plate " hence they become bhiyaas ji of netaji so give them job and everything solved.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  21. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

@Bangalorean there was similar news about MP but there RSS got up and re-converted ...

About dis-crimination why visit temple itself.Just make one temple in his/her piece of land

he wants to visit nepal for what ??

I seriously donot get point of printing such news in newspaper .trying to poke RT wings hindus clture parties.....

And yes agreed with your solution of rapid urbanisation but then left wing NGO walllas shops run on story of India begin poor they would never allow India to prosper

maomao likes this.