Demand for creation of 10 new states before home ministry

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Jun 28, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Demand for creation of 10 new states before home ministry
    28 Jun 2009, 1110 hrs IST, PTI

NEW DELHI: The Centre has received demands for creation of at least 10 new states, including a separate Mithilanchal in Bihar, Saurashtra in Gujarat
    and Coorg in Karnataka.

A senior home ministry official said the demands were mostly received from organisations like Telengana Rashtra Samiti and Gorkha Janamukti Morcha and some other organisations and individuals.

The most vocal organisation TRS has placed its demand for creation of Telengana state, comprising Telengana region in Andhra Pradesh, a few years back while the GJM has been putting pressure to carve out Gorkhaland state out of Darjeeling and its adjoining areas in West Bengal.

The demand for creation of Bundelkhand state, comprising districts like Banda, Chitrakoot, Jhansi, Lalitpur, Sagar of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh have been pending for long with the ministry, the official said, adding, though no state government has given any recommendation, which is mandatory for carving out a new state, the demands continue to pour in.

A demand for creation of Bhojpur state comprising areas of Eastern Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Chhattisgarh has also been received by the Ministry.

Another demand for creation of a new state comprising Saurastha region of Gujarat, one of the most prosperous states, has also been pending with the Ministry for several years now.

The Centre has received representations for creation of Harit Pradesh or Kisan Pradesh consisting several districts of Western Uttar Pradesh, the official said.

The Home Ministry has also received demands for creation of Mithilanchal or Mithila state comprising territories in Bihar, a new Greater Cooch Behar state out of parts of West Bengal and Assam, a Vidarbha state in Maharashtra and a state for the Coorg region of Karnataka.

However, no decision has been taken by the Home Ministry in any of the representation for creation of a new state.

"Government takes decision on the matter of formation of new states after taking into consideration all relevant factors. Action by the government would depend on the felt need and general consideration," the official added.

Demand for creation of 10 new states before home ministry - India - The Times of India

3. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Just 10!!! Why cant we divide India into some 1000 small states?!?

4. kautilya

kautilya Regular Member

At some point there might be diminishing returns but for the most part it makes sense for quite a lot of them. For instance telenaga region is for the most part ignored by the state government. A separate state helps speed development.

Splitting states by themselves is not a bad idea. Smaller states tend to do better. The big states like UP, Bihar, AP have traditionally had bigger problems also.

5. indian_sukhoi

indian_sukhoi Regular Member

lol

johnee, One of the demands of separate states is our Telangana too. Dunno about Bihar, Gujarat and other. But in Andhra Pradesh, TRS party demanding for a separate state called Telangana which i really doubht whether they really succeed.

No one cares about TRS Party in our State. These guys are on a history of losing streak.

There is another Idiotic party formed by Devender Goud, who is considered number two in the TDP.

6. Terminator

Terminator Regular Member

Well instead of seperate states why dont they ask for seperate countries itself??

India if provides yes to this demand them we can see us back to square one before independence ,to 650 plus states So on!

7. johnee

Telangana is developing well of late. A bigger state can manage probs better than a smaller state(unless the leaders of the state are corrupt. like UP or Bihar). It is not the size that determines development but leaders. UP's fate is thanks to Maya Madam and Maoulana Mulayam. While Bihar's fate is solely the effort of Laluji.
    Telangana was backward(and so were several parts of Rayalaseema and Uttara Andhra). But the situation is improving slowly. There is no real mass support for these separate state agitations. These agitations are created to satisfy the power lust of unemployed(idle) politicians.

Also, having several small states creates other probs like dividing river water(building dams)..etc. Further, they allow Pan-India movements like Maoism to survive by escaping into smaller states(that have less infrastructure to fight Maoists).

8. venkat

venkat Regular Member

Then we may get a chance to say united states of india(USI)!:blum3:

9. kautilya

kautilya Regular Member

I see so one state won't have problems with the same water but two state will? the water issues are because there is a general water shortage and everyone needs it. The issues remain the same whether you split them up or not.

A lot of your lesser naxal movements started out because there was no development. now they are sustained for different reasons. The lesson though is that large states are administratively unwieldy. The demands for separate states are all in places where there are large states or there is an identity which people think will be subsumed by a different majority.

There is a case to be made that making states too small is bad but big states are bad too.

10. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I support creation of smaller states. The governance abilities of our "great" leaders is dismal. They focus on one area for sometime and then jump to the next area after abandoning the first one. No ability to multitask, especially considering the diversity of the states.

Smaller states always tend to do better than bigger states in rural development. Bigger states tend to focus on their big cities a little too much ignoring the problems of the rural folk. Take Punjab, not one great city but look at their economy. Then there is Goa, Kerala, Haryana, HP etc.

Even in the US, the smaller states in the NE are stronger economically than the bigger states in the south and west.

11. johnee

While water issues remain same whether its one state or several states. But there is a greater chance to resolve the issue if its one state. Generally, water issues(or dams) cause rivalry among different states. While, it can be resolved more easily if its within one state.
    I think the present structure of states based on lang is good and can continue unless there is a serious necessity. Most of the demands for separate state(as I said previously) doesnt have mass based support. This is primarily pushed by unemployed politicians who want to use the new state to acquire power. Big states may be administratively unweildy, but that can be changed with good leaders. Even small state lag behind if they dont have good leaders. So, the stress must be on choosing the right leaders, not on size of the state(unless the state is too big like erstwhile UP before the formation of uttarachal).

Specifically about Andhra Pradesh: Telangana region(indeed, entire AP) is on development path, spitting the state would only disrupt the process.

12. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

Don't be ridiculous. Can' you see the difference between tiny countries with tiny armies fighting against each other, and smaller states with smaller, easily manageable problems and populations cooperating under the central government?

13. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

The whole raison d' etre for the creation of language based states was that it ensured a common basic culture, and mode of communication between its inhabitants that ensured a stable unity. I dislike the idea of further dividing the states into more states just to satisfy the ambitions of a few power hungry politicians. Administrative ease could be one factor in favour of the splitting of existing states, but where countries with larger populations exist, surely a state government with fewer administrative responsibilities could manage a population numbering in the tens of millions?

14. johnee

Actually, the demand for tiny states is pushed by fanning the regional sentiments of ppl. If these sentiments are stoked in enough the same sentiments can lead to a quest for separate nationhood as well.

15. Flint

Regional and local sentiment is not only important, it is vital for the development of Indian society.
    I am a proud Marathi, don't you have any doubts about that, but I see my identity as a part of the larger Indian one.

States with strong regional pride (TN, Kerala, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh) and identity are more developed and better governed than states without it.

16. johnee

You missed my point altogether and launched into a (unnecessary)sermon. I was trying to tell you that the regional sentiments are fanned in such a way as to make the others(all those who dont share the regional sentiments) as villians. If(and this is a big IF) those sentiments are stoked to sufficient level and Indian Union is presented as a villian(for not acting on their real or imagined griviencies), then there is every chance for a separatist movement to start.

That doesnt mean I am against the regional sentiments. I am a proud Telugu as well. But, I am trying to say that when they cross their limits, they are dangerous to the existence of the Union of India. At the same time I am not suggesting that the present demand for separate states will lead to separatist movements. I was only replying to your previous comment.

17. Flint

Separatism is a result of imperialistic attempts to dominate the culture of a region, for example, the Soviet Union attempted to unite the country by making everything Russian, unmindful of the fact that many other cultures existed apart from the Russian one.

The moment the grip of the state was lifted a little in 1991, the whole edifice collapsed.

18. Flint

Well, do you have any evidence that any of these demands for new states are based on a hatred for other regions ?
    If not, then its merely speculation?.

Its not about "limit". There's not limit to regional pride and aspiration. Its negative emotion - hatred, resentment, that fuels separatism.

In any case, smaller states with smaller populations, for obvious reasons, will find it harder to separate from the country.

19. johnee

I know that, mate. But who decides whether a certain stuff is 'imperialistic' or not. This is an ambigious subject that selfish and unemployed politicians can milk. Then they would always have countries(that want India to disintegrate) to help them with finances and other required stuff.

20. johnee

Again, you didnt seem to have read my post properly. I stated clearly that I didnt mean to say that the present demands for the separate states are going to lead to separatist movements.

Anyway, I will give you an example that is close:
    TRS(fighting politically for a separate statehood of Telangana) has issued threats to Andhras(that settled in Hyd, which falls under Telangana region) to stop their business and get out of Telangana. Frequently, Andhras are presented as villians to convince the masses about the validity of Telangana separate statehood demand.

If this arguement is taken further and if it had slight mass support(fortunately, it doesnt) then it is very easy to fuel a separatist sentiment, that will in time lead to violent separatist movements.
    When you love one, you hate its opposite. Thats the natural way. PPl are always prejudiced. MNS has support in Maharashtra, is it not based on regional pride and aspirations?

21. Flint

Well, I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Mr. Manmohan Singh will have to make a decision based on several factors including the popularity of the Telgangana movement.
    Is it the aspiration of the majority? If it is, then I suppose one could consider giving in to their demands. If the demand for Telangana is ignored, then two things could happen - either it could escalate into a hate campaign like the one you have described, or it could fizzle out.

Frankly, it is very difficult to judge and predict these things, but then I'm not the one making the decision :p

Not necessarily. It could lead to violence, but how can you predict that it will be separatist in nature?

Yes, but MNS is not separatist in character, and theoretically it is possible for an extremist organization to demand a separate country, but in reality, the MNS Cadre are as patriotic about Bharat Mata as any other Marathi right-wing group.