Delhi to impose blanket plastic ban; violators to face 5-year jail

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Vyom, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

New Delhi: In a major environment-friendly move, the Delhi government will impose a blanket ban on usage and manufacturing of plastic bags in the next two months and those violating it could face imprisonment up to five years and fine of up to Rs 1 lakh or both.

The ban is being imposed under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 under which storage as well as sale of plastic bags will also be considered an offence.

The government has issued a draft notification seeking suggestions as well as objections, if any, to the move from the stakeholders till November 20 following which a final notification will be issued imposing the ban.

According to the draft notification, no person including shopkeepers, vendors, wholesalers, retailers and hawkers will be allowed to sell, store or use plastic carry bags for supply of any goods.

“No person shall (be allowed) to manufacture, store, import, sell or transport any kind of plastic carry bags (including that of Poly Propelene, Nonwoven fabric type carry bags) in the whole of National Capital Territory of Delhi except for export purposes,” the notification said.

The use of plastic cover/pouch to pack magazines, invitation cards, greeting cards will also be prohibited.

However, the ban will not be applicable for containers used for packing food material, milk and “bags that constitute or form an integral part of the packaging in which goods are sealed prior to use”, said the notification.

The Delhi Cabinet had in April decided to go for the blanket ban, considering that a ban imposed on use of plastic bags in January 2009, which did not include manufacturing activities, had not given the desired results.

Delhi to impose blanket plastic ban; violators to face 5-year jail | Firstpost

3. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Good move, I think this will spawn other ways of carrying goods soon enough. I think jute bags is going to have a massive demand.

4. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Killing someone in road accident: 3 years.
    Using plastic bags: 5 years.

5. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

This is imposed earlier also but nothing happened.

6. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

They imposed such a blanket ban here in Hyderabad, including similar penalties. Its implementation is a big fail. Good luck, Delhi.

7. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Easy to impose but difficult to implement.

It happened couple of year back also, But failed. Hopefully, this time some success will come. :rolleyes:

8. The Messiah

I remember getting aggressive with shop keeper when he was charging me for jute bag saying plastic was banned. It was in defense colony i think.

9. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Many small shopkeepers do keep plastic bag somewhere hidden even if it was banned. First, They don't give plastic bag to strangers in most cases. Only to regular customers. or when Customers don't buy anything due to lack of plastic bag. Bigger shops only give jute bags.

This impose will only effect big, popular and road side shops.

There are 25,000 small shops in Delhi, very difficult to stop or reduce even by half.

But imposing is good as Plastic is not good for environment. Also it creates problems in sewer/gutter.

10. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

has happened in shimla for a year now, and the plastic bags have as good as disappeared.

11. Agnostic_Indian

Agnostic_Indian Regular Member

I strongly believe all these punishment terms for most crimes are too much..I mean to use plastic bag five years jail..what the hell.

12. Agnostic_Indian

Agnostic_Indian Regular Member

I strongly believe all these punishment terms for most crimes are too much. if we use plastic bag five years jail..what the hell.

Param likes this.
  13. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

Molestation _ 2 yrs
    Rape _ 7 yrs

Use of plastic_5yrs

These are useless but dangerous laws. I wonder how such a law can be implemented?What if someone comes from a different state with a plastic bag?
    Are such stupid laws constitutionally valid?

14. The Messiah

Most likely 5 years is the max punishment for repeat violators.

15. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

Param,

from what i have seen, they dont go for arrests straight away.

they do very regular and rigorous raids on the retailers, if plastic carry bags are found immediate fines are imposed on the spot, and these are heavy fines, if the retailer is a regular offender, then they take to legal proceedings, and in most cases they do away with it in the initial stages, more important is the message spreads and it does very very quickly.

tourists and travellers are not expected to be educated on the matter, and for now i think they are not putting any fines on people carrying plastic carry bags, though i might be mistaken, but the way it has happened in shimla, if you are carrying one, you amongst all look the odd one out because the local population has pretty much made it a point that they dont carry a poly bag.

Param likes this.
  16. plugwater

plugwater Elite Member Elite Member

This is a great plan.

They have done it successfully in my home town. Everytime my mom before going out to shopping curses the govt for implementing this :D

17. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Higher punishment means higher haftas. Guess policewalas will have better diwali this time. Retailers have so much to worry about apart from walmarts.