Delhi Students Build Prototype Of Next-Gen UAV For Lockheed Martin

JayATL

Lockheed Martin will display the first prototype of a next-generation UAV designed by DTU (Delhi Technology University) students for the organization on Sunday in Bangalore, India.

The competition began in 2009 when Delhi Technological University (DTU) began receiving financial resources and engineering mentoring from Lockheed Martin Corporation (LMC) for a student-level Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) development team.

The winning team which beat out universities like MIT and Stanford received a fund from the LM Corporate Engineering and Technology organization for a student run research program to develop a design for the next generation of UAV's tailored for operations in large urban environments.

Delhi Students Build Prototype Of Next-Gen UAV For Lockheed Martin : Defense news

JayATL

so this is good news yeah? something one would be proud about , yeah?
But no- in the Pak foums I read close to 30 post by Indians cursing why their govt did not do this...

Indians need to get the " govt NEEDS do this and that" mentaility off your radar seriously . First it was as private US firm that held competitions , you have plenty of great private firms in India that need to step up to the bat. You can't expect the GOVT to do everything for you. Govt is not the end of all solutions. It's not their job to hold competitions of this nature. I don't know how many times I read Indians whining about their govt not doing something that clearly is not the business of any govt to do- but if you ever want get out of mediocre status then you have to let the private sector do it.

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
so this is good news yeah? something one would be proud about , yeah?
But no- in the Pak foums I read close to 30 post by Indians cursing why their govt did not do this...

Indians need to get the " govt NEEDS do this and that" mentaility off your radar seriously . First it was as private US firm that held competitions , you have plenty of great private firms in India that need to step up to the bat. You can't expect the GOVT to do everything for you. Govt is not the end of all solutions. It's not their job to hold competitionsis. I don't know how many times I read Indians whining about their govt not doing something that clearly is not the business of any govt to do- but if you ever want get out of mediocre status then you have to let the private sector do it.

Yes, I constantly bat for the private sector to get into defence.

Not to worry though, we have the likes of Reliance, Mahindra and Tata getting into defence industry. It is just the beginning. Will take 10-15 years for the trend to pick up.

The government needs to unshackle things a bit more.

There are still some Indians who are not able to get out of the NehruGamdhi economic model. Silly really.

Last edited:

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
That's my University ...DTU (aka ..DCE) :yey:
P.S ..there is more to this story than what u can see ...:pft:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I see my two resident biatches missed me...
Just yesterday, I was asking pmaitra where I can find you in Atlanta when I go there next - in 2-3 months or so.

Your absence would have been sorely felt had you decided not to come back. Every forum needs a joker/jester.

We even decided to entrust pmaitra with the task of traveling to Atlanta personally, begging you to come back and continue entertaining us. Fortunately you came back yourself, and we can be entertained again. :yey:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Ba and track...Shameless sellouts. :tsk:

As for me i think Jesus says it better.

JayATL

Just yesterday, I was asking pmaitra where I can find you in Atlanta when I go there next - in 2-3 months or so.

Your absence would have been sorely felt had you decided not to come back. Every forum needs a joker/jester.

We even decided to entrust pmaitra with the task of traveling to Atlanta personally, begging you to come back and continue entertaining us. Fortunately you came back yourself, and we can be entertained again. :yey:
if you promise to NOT be that Indian who lands in the US with dress slacks and WHITE sneakers, i may let you be graced by presence.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Yaa...Rest of the posts where so ON topic mine looks like the closest thing anyone got to asking about the UAV.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
there was never really a shortage for talent in India, was there... the problem is Its never actually utilized!!!!!

Any way Congrats to the Students......!!!!!!

pmaitra

Yeah, I was in Atlanta yesterday. I had some business on Peachtree Street.

SPIEZ

Country flag
BAH! engineers in the south did that 10 years ago. Students from Anna univ put a satellite on board PSLV 12C which is in orbit. There were many inventions, from wall-climbing machines, to water powered rockets.

http://www.annauniv.edu/anusat/

pmaitra

BAH! engineers in the south did that 10 years ago. Students from Anna univ put a satellite on board PSLV 12C which is in orbit. There were many inventions, from wall-climbing machines, to water powered rockets.

ANUSAT - Anna University Satellite
You mean something like this?

I have met one of the scientists who made this personally.

Looks cool, but there is a lot of math, 90% of which I do not understand. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

sob

Mod
Country flag
Indian students have been doing very well in Aeronautical competitions in the US.
Last year one of my friends son won a prize at SAE's Aero Design West 2011' competition held in Texas, US

Pune students bag awards at aero design contest in US - The Times of India

Two engineering students from the Vishwakarma Institute of Technology (VIT) bagged awards at the Society of Automotive Engineers' (SAE) International's prestigious 'Aero Design West 2011' competition held in Texas, US, recently.

Varun Garg, who is a third-year mechanical engineering student, and Prasha Sarwate, a final-year chemical engineering student, combined their efforts to design a remote-controlled micro aircraft that withstood almost all evaluation parameters at the contest, co-organised and hosted by military aircraft manufacturer Lockheed Martin.

The team won the first prize in operational availability and third prize each in the micro category and for lifting of highest payload. University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, US and Poznan Institute of Technology, Poland, bagged the overall first and second positions, respectively.

"The aircraft designed by Varun and Prasha has a wing span of 53 inches and a fuselage (aircraft body) of 30.4 inches width and flies on a two battery power system. Made of Balsa wood and carbon fibre, its empty weight is 800 gm and has the capacity to lift payload up to 1,750 gm," VIT faculty S P Komble, who guided the duo, told TOI on Wednesday.

"The team had no technical guidance whatsoever from any professional aeronautical or aerospace engineer. The design and performance of the aircraft was appreciated by everyone including the judges, other teams, and volunteers present at the event," said Komble. [/quote]

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
On one hand they conduct these competitions and get the design by funding the research and on the other hand they give money and all the equipment to the porkis and let them sponsor terror inside our country. What does America try to tell us through their DOUBLE GAME to INDIA ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles