Delhi open to Kabul arms request

freakinghell

Delhi shouldn't only arm the Afghan National Army, but also militias and warlords opposed to Taliban esp the Tajiks, and Hazaras.

not sure if afghans would appreciate that. whatever 'good' image India has among educated afghans is due to our non interference in their country.

@freakinghell: You are one hell of a realist. I support your view on this, out & out.
so at least one member agrees.

am glad typing it out wasn't a waste of my time. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Afghanistan is already divided between Iran and Saudis/Pakistan. If Afghanistan survives, then we should support the Iranian faction, and the figurehead Central Govt.
No way can Afghanistan be united with a common Afghan identity, with Iran radicalising Shia, Saudi Sunni, and ethnic rivalries being the hallmark of Civil war.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
not sure if afghans would appreciate that. whatever 'good' image India has among educated afghans is due to our non interference in their country.
We very openly funded the Northern Alliance. Hell, Masood was airlifted to the Indian Hospital in Tajikistan. Though, we kept quiet because of the threat of Pakistani reprisals on Indian soil.

If we had the will to hit out at Pakistani cities via terror strikes, then we would have made Afghanistan even bloodier.
US invasion of Afghanistan, was godsend as far as we were concerned.

TrueSpirit

How many Afghans do you know personally?

I know at least a score of them, and from diverse backgrounds as well, starting from Herat, Ghazni, to Mazar-e-Sharif, and of course Kabul.

I think you spend too much time fighting with people on YouTube, and perhaps that is the reason why you are mistaking many Paki Afghan wannabes as true Afghans.

Keep up. As long as people like you exist, there will be no dearth of your so called "anti-Hindu" people.
I have never been to Afghan, nor had I ever spoken with an Afghan. So, it can be safe to assume that I do not know a single Afghan personally. The only sources shaping my views on this issue are mostly official media, some random bestseller books from war-intelligence veterans (dubious sources), internet & few personal accounts of batch-mates/juniors (from school/college days), who are actively serving there or flying there off-&-on via IGIA.

So, I just want to understand: are you in total disagreement with @freakinghell views on this issue ? This is what he states (some excerpts)

half of afg live in pakistan, those living in afg have relatives in pak. they will be supporting pak over us.
Isn't that a fact ? Pashtun's are the biggest, most effectively dominant & vocal constituency in Afghan & Taliban draw their cadre from them. Why wouldn't the Pashtuns support & cheer for their coreligionist Pak brethren over us.

Regarding Uzbek, Tajiks, Hazara & other regional warlords, don't we know their famous history all too well?

Afghan's loyalty can always be rented, never be bought. This is written in blood throughout pages of history. Have we forgotten that ? Afghan remains a nation under perpetual sway of gun-runners, smugglers, drug-lords, extortionists & Wahabi-controlled brain-washed Jihadi's. It is likely to remain so, as long as there's oil under Arab oil-wells.

Any investment we do in these shifting characters would turn out to be a dud, eventually. Except in the case, where we are handsomely paid in cash/kind by the US/NATO/UN combine in lieu of the services/weapons/training/infrastructure-building we do in Afghan. Otherwise, we would only make a fool of ourselves. Most Muslims even today would prefer a Islamic tyrant rather than Kafir-supported regime.

karazai govt is utterly weak, some afghans support it most consider it to be american installed puppets. afghanistan is bastically a pakistani colony. most pashtuns are pro taliban. NATO could not eliminate talibs because of this very reason. post 2014 pakis will do their best to get taliban back into power.
Now, do we even need to talk about that ? I do not find anything in these statements that can be contested.

their hatred for hindus and sikhs is far greater than their hate for pakis. post 2014 whatever schools, hospitals we've built there will be blown to pieces. we should just see them as a customer for our equipment and end aid ka bandar baat jo hamne laga rakha hai waha.
There have been several incidents recently that corroborate what he is saying. Sikhs there have to live under constant threat of abduction/extortion/conversion, being blown to pieces etc. even after paying all the protection money & respects that non-muslims have to pay under all Islamic regimes. The religion of peace mandates this "hafta", as one of its fundamental tenet.

There are numerous newspaper reports detailing these incidents what SIkhs/Hindus in that region (Afghan/NWFP/FATA) have to undergo.

All in all, my view is:

1) It would be a prudent strategy to never lay boots in that mess & whatever support we have to offer to whichever party, should be paid by someone (anyone with stake in Afghan stability).

2) We have to be the consummate opportunist if we intend to weed out ISI's sway from Afghan. Winning hearts-n-minds is only one part of that. Any Infrastructure-building we do there with Indian taxpayer money should be done keeping in mind that they are going to be blown to pieces anyway, or become collateral damage (euphemistically kept) in the never-ending conflict.

3) All weapons we deploy there might ultimately fall in hands on Talib & allied warlords like Haqqani/Hekmatyar clan. So, we ought to play the game with all the apathy, cold, calculating viciousness we can muster, rather than being swayed by some non-existent imaginary bonds of culture & cuisine.

4) Securing mines & mining right should form one objective of our multi-pronged strategy there. Last heard, there were several hundred billion dollars worth of mineral reserves underneath that scarred terrain. Exploiting that would solve many of our economic problems, provided we manage to ally/subdue Chinese/Central Asians/Russians & other stake-holders with our ingenuity.

pmaitra

@TrueSpirit,

Have I ever been to Afghanistan? No.
Do I know Afghans personally? Yes, plenty.

There are bad apples everywhere. There are radicals everywhere. My concern is whether some of the things being said about Afghans hold true for the majority of Afghans. There have been cases of attacks on Indians in Afghanistan, and such brutal acts, obviously, get a lot of media attention. Should we let that shape our opinion?

This is something we all should ponder, but I definitely respect your (and the other guy's) right to disagree.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Afghanistan is already divided between Iran and Saudis/Pakistan. If Afghanistan survives, then we should support the Iranian faction, and the figurehead Central Govt.
No way can Afghanistan be united with a common Afghan identity, with Iran radicalising Shia, Saudi Sunni, and ethnic rivalries being the hallmark of Civil war.
That's one hell of a problem then. Which fraction do we support and which not?
Also, supplying Arms to anyone who asks might be counter-productive. It could not only shatter Afghan peace hopes further but also hamper the goodwill India still has with the Afghans.
Extending political/diplomatic support for such militia's inclusion in a power sharing system post 2014 would be good.

TrueSpirit

@TrueSpirit,

Have I ever been to Afghanistan? No.
Do I know Afghans personally? Yes, plenty.

There are bad apples everywhere. There are radicals everywhere. My concern is whether some of the things being said about Afghans hold true for the majority of Afghans. There have been cases of attacks on Indians in Afghanistan, and such brutal acts, obviously, get a lot of media attention. Should we let that shape our opinion?

This is something we all should ponder, but I definitely respect your (and the other guy's) right to disagree.
@pmaitra,

I see that I have been unable to make my point, at all. But, higher probability is: you read my post selectively :lol:

On DFI, we all DO respect each other's views & the right to differ, but it's just not about that.

I am trying to take a broad perspective into account with some high-level awareness of the strategic landscape in Afghan milieu, that also takes the region's history, geo-political reality & multitude of conflicting factors at play, into cognizance.

I am not talking of a few "bad apples" or "some radicalized misguided youths" & "some isolated media reports".

Afghan is not a "nation-state" in the real sense; at least, not yet. It is an artificial entity created out of power tussles & eventual fragile settlements between post-medieval empires of "Russia", Ottomon Turk, Persians & the British. The line that divided it from Pak is a mock-worthy "anomaly", for Pakthoons are more densely populated on Pak side of the border, than on the Afghan side. Hence, Af-stan is at perpetual unease with itself & its inhabitants, which are impossible-to-reconcile nationalities.

There is so much more to it but in a nutshell, there are several inherent contradictions in its flawed existence that create the perpetual unease the Af-stan finds itself in.

We need to assess Af-stan issue with all the objectivity it deserves for it is too intricate an issue & one needs to muster all the cold, rational slyness one can manage to wade through this cauldron. No amount of one-to-one contacts between individuals/institutions could ever trump over cold "Machiavellian-ism" & proven "Game-theories" which determine how the relations between nations would play-out.

Neither "Fraternal bonhomie" nor "hysterical xenophobia" could be allowed to score over the age-old realpolitik adopted by the wily practitioners & mandarins of statecraft.

Ok, enough of that, now. Let me try to keep this simple & straight rather than jargon-ize it, anymore.

One basic tenet of Pakhtoon-wali: Tooth for a tooth & Eye for an Eye.

Now, one pearl of wisdom from Mr. M.K.Gandhi: Eye for an Eye would make the world go BLIND.

Now, you can establish the connection. This is what their society has turned into- BLIND, rhetorically speaking. They have been practicing this Pakhtoon-wali code of conduct since over a millennia. Their rivalries, enmities, ceaseless hostilities & retributions go on from one generation to another seamlessly, without any reprieve & the violence is only going to intensify given the interminable flow of "petro-dollars" & the recent calamitous influence of "Wahabism". Moreover, the melee over control of "unbelievably profitable opium-trade" & the control over strategic passes & valleys, would ensure that the inexorable bloods-spilling would show no respite. So, one can safely conclude that:

As long as there's oil in Arab wells & there are Heroin-takers in the West, all our efforts to stabilize Af-stan going to be dud.

All money we pour in there, is money down the drain. It's not an investment but a futile expense. Committing boots on the ground (in large numbers) or investing substantial capital/transferring arms would be the ultimate folly. We would never be able to stabilize Af-stan, no matter how hard we try & no matter how hard it is for some people to acknowledge this harsh reality.

The longest span of continued stability & relative calm in Af-stan was from early 20th century to 1973: during Zahir Shah's clan reign. Post 1973-coup, it has been the same ever since.

Some people tend to view the Afghan mess solely from a religious fundamentalism/extremist point of view. Nothing can farther from the truth. The Af-stan have been at each other's throat (and practically, at everybody's throat) since eons. The reasons behind this sustained attribute are: geographic location, terrain, bloodied history (the manner in which Brahmanism & Buddhism were subdued, then exterminated, only to be replaced by a sinister cult i.e. propagators of Ummah Caliphate throughout Eurasia, have a role to play), & brawl over control of "Opium trade".

Inherently, Af-stan is a warrior-nomad culture since eternities. The derived temperament & preferred lifestyle of so-called-autonomy (basically, heeding to no law & freedom to resort to their familial extortion trade) has been their bane since centuries & it is destined to remain so in future. Reason: Pakhtoon-wali as a code is non-negotiable & it is basically one cataclysmic cult/institution that no civilized tribe would ever beget, acquiesce or resort to.

If UN/NATO/UN wants us to take up their unfinished business in Af-stan, have them pay us. Adequately. Handsomely. Filthily. Nothing lesser would do. Appropriate price should be extracted for finishing up someone else's dirty-business.

Well, speaking of myself, I do not have to exclusively rely on official media reports solely, for I have ears to first-hand sources (who are both participants as well as witnesses, simultaneously, in the Afghan muddle). But still, I do not tend to brush away all media reports or expert analysis under carpet just because they could be some random incidents or unsubstantiated & exaggerated rumor. Doing it would be ignoring the obvious, failure to delineate the trend, missing in seeing the bigger picture & catering to my bias. Further, each report could be digested/ejected based on its own merit & after being subject to proper scrutiny & one's discernment.

All in all, my recommendation is this. We ought to maintain just the exact balance of "proximity vs. aloofness" from the Af-stan mess. Neither get too entangled in there, nor be impassive to the developments unfolding in that region. Be nimble enough to associate with & cultivate relationships with anyone as long as our mutual interests are getting fulfilled, rather than completely betting on/leaning on one particular clan/cult/regime/nationality.

The objectives of our multi-pronged in Afghanistan should be four-fold:

1) Securing access to Central Asian energy (oil/gas) reserves.
2) Weeding out Pak-ISI influence over the clans/valleys & passes there, thus denying Pak of its much coveted strategic depth.
3) Extracting mineral wealth & being able to ship it to desired destinations at an acceptable cost.
4) Never loosing track of above 3 objectives. :thumb:

On a parting note, one last remark: Wise is the one who learns from other's mistake. Ordinary is the one who learns from his own mistakes & foolish is one who repeats his own mistakes.

We can choose to be wise by learning from experience of British, Russian & US/NATO operations in that mess or we can choose to first burn our fingers like we did through IPKF in Sri Lanka & then wondering "What went Wrong" ? :rolleyes:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
That's one hell of a problem then. Which fraction do we support and which not?
Also, supplying Arms to anyone who asks might be counter-productive. It could not only shatter Afghan peace hopes further but also hamper the goodwill India still has with the Afghans.
Extending political/diplomatic support for such militia's inclusion in a power sharing system post 2014 would be good.
We support any and all factions opposed to Taliban and Pakistan.

Goodwill will mean nothing when Taliban usurp power. In any case USA is negotiating the terms of power sharing with Taliban. we need to ensure our factions don't get sidelined.

I think this is the right time to play dirty, we have a very short window to get our act together. West is abandoning Afghanistan, if Afghanistan government survives well and good, if it doesn't we need to be prepared.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@pmaitra,

I see that I have been unable to make my point, at all. But, higher probability is: you read my post selectively :lol:

On DFI, we all DO respect each other's views & the right to differ, but it's just not about that.

I am trying to take a broad perspective into account with some high-level awareness of the strategic landscape in Afghan milieu, that also takes the region's history, geo-political reality & multitude of conflicting factors at play, into cognizance.

I am not talking of a few "bad apples" or "some radicalized misguided youths" & "some isolated media reports".

Afghan is not a "nation-state" in the real sense; at least, not yet. It is an artificial entity created out of power tussles & eventual fragile settlements between post-medieval empires of "Russia", Ottomon Turk, Persians & the British. The line that divided it from Pak is a mock-worthy "anomaly", for Pakthoons are more densely populated on Pak side of the border, than on the Afghan side. Hence, Af-stan is at perpetual unease with itself & its inhabitants, which are impossible-to-reconcile nationalities.

There is so much more to it but in a nutshell, there are several inherent contradictions in its flawed existence that create the perpetual unease the Af-stan finds itself in.

We need to assess Af-stan issue with all the objectivity it deserves for it is too intricate an issue & one needs to muster all the cold, rational slyness one can manage to wade through this cauldron. No amount of one-to-one contacts between individuals/institutions could ever trump over cold "Machiavellian-ism" & proven "Game-theories" which determine how the relations between nations would play-out.

Neither "Fraternal bonhomie" nor "hysterical xenophobia" could be allowed to score over the age-old realpolitik adopted by the wily practitioners & mandarins of statecraft.

Ok, enough of that, now. Let me try to keep this simple & straight rather than jargon-ize it, anymore.

One basic tenet of Pakhtoon-wali: Tooth for a tooth & Eye for an Eye.

Now, one pearl of wisdom from Mr. M.K.Gandhi: Eye for an Eye would make the world go BLIND.

Now, you can establish the connection. This is what their society has turned into- BLIND, rhetorically speaking. They have been practicing this Pakhtoon-wali code of conduct since over a millennia. Their rivalries, enmities, ceaseless hostilities & retributions go on from one generation to another seamlessly, without any reprieve & the violence is only going to intensify given the interminable flow of "petro-dollars" & the recent calamitous influence of "Wahabism". Moreover, the melee over control of "unbelievably profitable opium-trade" & the control over strategic passes & valleys, would ensure that the inexorable bloods-spilling would show no respite. So, one can safely conclude that:

As long as there's oil in Arab wells & there are Heroin-takers in the West, all our efforts to stabilize Af-stan going to be dud.

All money we pour in there, is money down the drain. It's not an investment but a futile expense. Committing boots on the ground (in large numbers) or investing substantial capital/transferring arms would be the ultimate folly. We would never be able to stabilize Af-stan, no matter how hard we try & no matter how hard it is for some people to acknowledge this harsh reality.

The longest span of continued stability & relative calm in Af-stan was from early 20th century to 1973: during Zahir Shah's clan reign. Post 1973-coup, it has been the same ever since.

Some people tend to view the Afghan mess solely from a religious fundamentalism/extremist point of view. Nothing can farther from the truth. The Af-stan have been at each other's throat (and practically, at everybody's throat) since eons. The reasons behind this sustained attribute are: geographic location, terrain, bloodied history (the manner in which Brahmanism & Buddhism were subdued, then exterminated, only to be replaced by a sinister cult i.e. propagators of Ummah Caliphate throughout Eurasia, have a role to play), & brawl over control of "Opium trade".

Inherently, Af-stan is a warrior-nomad culture since eternities. The derived temperament & preferred lifestyle of so-called-autonomy (basically, heeding to no law & freedom to resort to their familial extortion trade) has been their bane since centuries & it is destined to remain so in future. Reason: Pakhtoon-wali as a code is non-negotiable & it is basically one cataclysmic cult/institution that no civilized tribe would ever beget, acquiesce or resort to.

If UN/NATO/UN wants us to take up their unfinished business in Af-stan, have them pay us. Adequately. Handsomely. Filthily. Nothing lesser would do. Appropriate price should be extracted for finishing up someone else's dirty-business.

Well, speaking of myself, I do not have to exclusively rely on official media reports solely, for I have ears to first-hand sources (who are both participants as well as witnesses, simultaneously, in the Afghan muddle). But still, I do not tend to brush away all media reports or expert analysis under carpet just because they could be some random incidents or unsubstantiated & exaggerated rumor. Doing it would be ignoring the obvious, failure to delineate the trend, missing in seeing the bigger picture & catering to my bias. Further, each report could be digested/ejected based on its own merit & after being subject to proper scrutiny & one's discernment.

All in all, my recommendation is this. We ought to maintain just the exact balance of "proximity vs. aloofness" from the Af-stan mess. Neither get too entangled in there, nor be impassive to the developments unfolding in that region. Be nimble enough to associate with & cultivate relationships with anyone as long as our mutual interests are getting fulfilled, rather than completely betting on/leaning on one particular clan/cult/regime/nationality.

The objectives of our multi-pronged in Afghanistan should be four-fold:

1) Securing access to Central Asian energy (oil/gas) reserves.
2) Weeding out Pak-ISI influence over the clans/valleys & passes there, thus denying Pak of its much coveted strategic depth.
3) Extracting mineral wealth & being able to ship it to desired destinations at an acceptable cost.
4) Never loosing track of above 3 objectives. :thumb:

On a parting note, one last remark: Wise is the one who learns from other's mistake. Ordinary is the one who learns from his own mistakes & foolish is one who repeats his own mistakes.

We can choose to be wise by learning from experience of British, Russian & US/NATO operations in that mess or we can choose to first burn our fingers like we did through IPKF in Sri Lanka & then wondering "What went Wrong" ? :rolleyes:

You are over emphasizing pakhtunwali. Taliban don't follow pakhtunwali, they follow radical deobandi islam.

We can't have access to central Asia, because Afghanistan doesn't have sea nor a border with India.

To counteract Pakistan/Saudi etc. We need to support nationalists, Shiites, baloch, ttp etc
And then stop follow of money arms equipment and propaganda

TrueSpirit

You are over emphasizing pakhtunwali. Taliban don't follow pakhtunwali, they follow radical deobandi islam.
Let me try to clarify a bit. There are a large number of Indians who follow Deobandi Islam (who hasn't heard of Saharanpur) & they are quite vocal (in issuing fatwas against all & sundry), aren't they?

Then, there are Barelvi's in India & Pak who are no less orthodox/radicalized than Deobandi's, in their own way & then there are many resurgent sects/school of thoughts/factions.

Taliban & their cadre (being drawn from South-East Afghan & NWFP/FATA tribes) are bound to Pakhtunwali. It's the fundamental bedrock of Pakhtoon culture that defines their sense of self. It defines their dominant culture prevalent among them. On the other hand, Deobandi Islam is a recent superposition over that code (tied with rise of Taliban)- a school of thought lesser inimical to our interests than Wahabi doctrine (that mandates establishment of Ummah-Caliphate through Eurasia & whose proponents/adherents are more influential in all respects).

But my point is, it is not just radical Islam or Pakhtunwali but a combination of myriad factors: Wahabi indoctrination + Petro-dollars + Pakhtunwali + Opium trade + endless machinations of revisionist powers who happen to be neighbors + Pak Army's dream of strategic-depth + irreconcilable sub-nationalities + Terrain that limits the reach of a centralized, unifying Afghan authority as well as potential of agriculture (precursor to industrialization), thus hampering the development of a civilized sedentary society.

Instead, the scarred uneven terrain facilitates/favors spawning a warrior nomad culture with constant in-fighting as an existential reality.

A deeply unsettling proposition, as well as vulnerable target for its neighbors, who are more sorted out.

We can't have access to central Asia, because Afghanistan doesn't have sea nor a border with India.
Through Iran, Af-stan is the next potential gateway into Central Asia through the land routes (& way cheaper), for supply of oil/gas to India through existing/operational (& proposed as well as under-construction) pipelines operating throughout Central Asia (meandering around Russia, Turkey, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan etc.). Exactly, the same pipelines/routes that China is leveraging to ensure its oil security through land routes.

So, securing & leveraging this access & sourcing this oil/gas from Central Asian region via Iran-ian ports & shipping to India is a viable alternative. India does not have any plans or intention to depend on Iran's reserves alone for posterity. So, it is already one objective of our foreign policy, & for all the right reasons. The fact, that we do not have access to Gilgit-Baltistan region, makes this even more imperative for us to focus upon. Had it been otherwise, our direct land border connectivity to Tajikistan & Russia would have simply changed the game altogether.

To counteract Pakistan/Saudi etc. We need to support nationalists, Shiites, baloch, ttp etc.
I agree. We need to support anyone & everyone who can aid in uprooting the influence of Pakistan/Saudi combine in that region. Be it Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum's faction (if he is still alive), or disgruntled factions (if any) from Pashtuns, Balooch, or even opportunists like Gulbuddin Hekmaytar etc., whose loyalty is always available for rent. There is no dearth of insurgent-leaders like him in Af-stan.

But, our support has to be paid by someone (be it Opium trade/extortion money earned by jihadis/US-NATO) but it should not come for free. And, Indian presence in Afghan has to be token/nominal-just enough to get the supervision done. Enough mercenary forces/org's abound today who can do the dirty groundwork on our behalf for the right amount of green-backs.

And then stop follow of money arms equipment and propaganda
Been there. Done that..............By US.
But little success, so far.

If this has to work, an out-of-the-box & bold approach would be needed. Not many are comfortable with challenging the status-quo. Too complicated, as they say.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Let me try to clarify a bit. There are a large number of Indians who follow Deobandi Islam (who hasn't heard of Saharanpur) & they are quite vocal (in issuing fatwas against all & sundry), aren't they? Then, there are Barelvi's in India & Pak who are no less orthodox/radicalized than Deobandi's, in their own way & then there are many resurgent sects/school of thoughts/factions.
What is Fatwa ?
If you ask a mullah a question, he will give you a fatwa. Most of the Fatwa's are not "suo moto"

Taliban & their cadre (being drawn from South-East Afghan & NWFP/FATA tribes) are bound to Pakhtunwali. It's the fundamental bedrock of Pakhtoon culture that defines their sense of self. It defines their dominant culture prevalent among them.

On the other hand, Deobandi Islam is a recent superposition over that code (tied with rise of Taliban)- a school of thought lesser inimical to our interests than Wahabi doctrine (that mandates establishment of Ummah-Caliphate through Eurasia & whose proponents/adherents are more influential in all respects).

But my point is, it is not just radical Islam or Pakhtunwali but a combination of myriad factors: Wahabi indoctrination + Petro-dollars + Pakhtunwali + Opium trade + endless machinations of revisionist powers who happen to be neighbors + Pak Army's dream of strategic-depth + irreconcilable sub-nationalities + Terrain that limits the reach of a centralized, unifying Afghan authority as well as potential of agriculture (precursor to industrialization), thus hampering the development of a civilized sedentary society.

Instead, the scarred uneven terrain facilitates/favors spawning a warrior nomad culture with constant in-fighting as an existential reality.
Your points are a bit disjointed but by and large I agree with your conclusion.
Afghanistan is a fractured chaotic and divided society.
You don't forge nations the way USA went about it.

Through Iran, Af-stan is the next potential gateway into Central Asia through the land routes (& way cheaper), for supply of oil/gas to India through existing/operational (& proposed as well as under-construction) pipelines operating throughout Central Asia (meandering around Russia, Turkey, Kyrgyzstan, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan etc.). Exactly, the same pipelines/routes that China is leveraging to ensure its oil security through land routes.

So, securing & leveraging this access & sourcing this oil/gas from Central Asian region via Iran-ian ports & shipping to India is a viable alternative. India does not have any plans or intention to depend on Iran's reserves alone for posterity. So, it is already one objective of our foreign policy, & for all the right reasons. The fact, that we do not have access to Gilgit-Baltistan region, makes this even more imperative for us to focus upon. Had it been otherwise, our direct land border connectivity to Tajikistan & Russia would have simply changed the game altogether.
There is going to be no pipeline to India via Pakistan, atleast none which we can rely upon.

With IPI Pipeline we are afraid that Pakistan will turn off the supply, Pakistan is afraid that Iran will turn off the supply.
With TAPI Pipeline, again we are afraid that Pakistan will turn off the supply, Pakistan is afraid that Iran will turn off the supply. TAPI will pass through Herat, which is Irans playground. In fact Iranian embassies don't even hire security guards, because Taliban don't dare to attack them.

It would be better if we use Iran for the same, we have already built highways linking India financed port of Chabahar to Afghanistan, and also building a rail route from Chabahar to Central Asia.
Our problem has been our timidness wrt Iran. We risk losing Arab, Israeli, and American beneficence if we go with Iran, and because Iran itself is unreliable we can't put our eggs in Iranian basket.

I agree. We need to support anyone & everyone who can aid in uprooting the influence of Pakistan/Saudi combine in that region. Be it Gen. Abdul Rashid Dostum's faction (if he is still alive), or disgruntled factions (if any) from Pashtuns, Balooch, or even opportunists like Gulbuddin Hekmaytar etc., whose loyalty is always available for rent. There is no dearth of insurgent-leaders like him in Af-stan.

But, our support has to be paid by someone (be it Opium trade/extortion money earned by jihadis/US-NATO) but it should not come for free. And, Indian presence in Afghan has to be token/nominal-just enough to get the supervision done. Enough mercenary forces/org's abound today who can do the dirty groundwork on our behalf for the right amount of green-backs.

I don't quite understand when you mean paid by someone?

The good thing about Taliban was, they were organized and structured. They brought order, and some semblance of a rule of law in Afghanistan.
We need to prop up rival factions which do just that.

Been there. Done that..............By US.
But little success, so far.

If this has to work, an out-of-the-box & bold approach would be needed. Not many are comfortable with challenging the status-quo. Too complicated, as they say.
But when has US has done this ?
They are pals with Saudi gang, and fund and arm Pakistanis.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Aghanistan is actually many nations and defanging wahhabism and deobandism can only created a union!

TrueSpirit

It would be better if we use Iran for the same, we have already built highways linking India financed port of Chabahar to Afghanistan, and also building a rail route from Chabahar to Central Asia.
I was talking about extending the links from Chabahar & Afghanistan deeper into Central Asia.

I don't quite understand when you mean paid by someone?
I mean, our efforts should be paid for by someone.Bankrolled by someone. Financed by someone. Our exchequer need not be drained for this purpose. We should fleece whosoever has a stake in Af-stan stablity or whose agenda converges with us.

The good thing about Taliban was, they were organized and structured. They brought order, and some semblance of a rule of law in Afghanistan.
The order Taliban brought was the order one finds in a graveyard. I really would not like to recount the horrors of Taliban era. But, the fact that they served as a beacon of Islamic-empire's revival for the insurgent groups like LeT & JeM, definitely bothers. The boldness & motivation of these groups knew no bound during the Taliban-rule.

We need to prop up rival factions which do just that.
Bringing order to Af-stan should not be our top priority. I would prefer to have these guys finish each other off to the extent that they do not remain in position to pose a threat & or, aid our rivals in the region. The more pre-occupied Taliban are (in internal skirmishes), better for us, so they do not focus outside. And, we should continue to support the weaker faction. That is, the figure-head central govt./North Alliance, or whosoever is capable + willing to co-operate with us.

As per the non-equilibrium strategy of game theory that one could apply here is: One (i.e. India) bolsters the weaker faction to the extent that it no longer remains weaker but acquires a decisive edge over the other. Then, one (India) dis-engages. It is of utmost importance to extract oneself out at the right moment before getting too involved. When hostilities re-commence, one determines which is the weaker faction now & starts supporting that faction until the weaker faction obtains decisive enough edge & then, one disengages again. This pattern is repeated until the equilibrium is achieved (which can defined as per our interests).

We should focus on few things, broadly (starting with top-most priority):

1) Getting Pak/Saudi & resulting extremism out of Af-stan.
2) Mining & shipping minerals to apt destinations.
3) Ending Af-stan's geographic isolation (implementing better connectivity with Straits of Hormuz as well as Caspian sea region, i.e. A solid North-South corridor). As long as it is is land-locked, someone or the other would take it's advantage, often to India's detriment.

But when has US has done this ? They are pals with Saudi gang, and fund and arm Pakistanis.
US tried that post 9/11. Failed because the efforts were piecemeal, half-hearted.

It turned out that source of funds (that fuel this Jihad) were corporates & families (based all over the globe) who donated copiously to the Prez election campaigns or were prominent enough fund-raisers. Most of them were ingenious or influential enough to get they way around the investigations, by virtue of being connected to House of Saud. So, the leads obtained around funds-trail was not followed to its genesis in most cases.

There was too much dirty linen & old-skeletons in the cupboard. It was obviously embarrassing for US democracy to admit that corporates call the shot all the way, even in matters of National security. So everybody was happy with status-quo & the flow of funds could never be curtailed.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I was talking about extending the links from Chabahar & Afghanistan deeper into Central Asia.
But as I said we are already doing that. In any case Iran is unreliable.

==
I mean, our efforts should be paid for by someone.Bankrolled by someone. Financed by someone. Our exchequer need not be drained for this purpose. We should fleece whosoever has a stake in Af-stan stablity or whose agenda converges with us.
We are a 2 trillion dollar economy, and we can spare a couple of billion to ensure regional and our own safety.

==
The order Taliban brought was the order one finds in a graveyard. I really would not like to recount the horrors of Taliban era. But, the fact that they served as a beacon of Islamic-empire's revival for the insurgent groups like LeT & JeM, definitely bothers. The boldness & motivation of these groups knew no bound during the Taliban-rule.
Under Taliban, Afghanistan society was the most stable in close to last 4 decades.
LeT and Taliban are not friends. LeT and JeM's sphere of operations are again largely India.

==
Bringing order to Af-stan should not be our top priority. I would prefer to have these guys finish each other off to the extent that they do not remain in position to pose a threat & or, aid our rivals in the region. The more pre-occupied Taliban are (in internal skirmishes), better for us, so they do not focus outside. And, we should continue to support the weaker faction. That is, the figure-head central govt./North Alliance, or whosoever is capable + willing to co-operate with us.
That is the aim. But ultimately Taliban was able to establish their dominance because of their ability to bring order. Look at Hezbollah for eg.
==

As per the non-equilibrium strategy of game theory that one could apply here is: One (i.e. India) bolsters the weaker faction to the extent that it no longer remains weaker but acquires a decisive edge over the other. Then, one (India) dis-engages. It is of utmost importance to extract oneself out at the right moment before getting too involved. When hostilities re-commence, one determines which is the weaker faction now & starts supporting that faction until the weaker faction obtains decisive enough edge & then, one disengages again. This pattern is repeated until the equilibrium is achieved (which can defined as per our interests).
That is not how you operate in these parts. US supported "Taliban" right up till Soviet left, then disengaged, and then a few years later has poured in a trillion dollars trying to fight 'em.

We will stay committed for the long haul, so that when there is negotiation, our commitment counts.
===

We should focus on few things, broadly (starting with top-most priority):

1) Getting Pak/Saudi & resulting extremism out of Af-stan.
2) Mining & shipping minerals to apt destinations.
3) Ending Af-stan's geographic isolation (implementing better connectivity with Straits of Hormuz as well as Caspian sea region, i.e. A solid North-South corridor). As long as it is is land-locked, someone or the other would take it's advantage, often to India's detriment.

US tried that post 9/11. Failed because the efforts were piecemeal, half-hearted.

It turned out that source of funds (that fuel this Jihad) were corporates & families (based all over the globe) who donated copiously to the Prez election campaigns or were prominent enough fund-raisers. Most of them were ingenious or influential enough to get they way around the investigations, by virtue of being connected to House of Saud. So, the leads obtained around funds-trail was not followed to its genesis in most cases.

There was too much dirty linen & old-skeletons in the cupboard. It was obviously embarrassing for US democracy to admit that corporates call the shot all the way, even in matters of National security. So everybody was happy with status-quo & the flow of funds could never be curtailed.
1. You counter Taliban Ideology with another narrative. Iran is already radicalising the Shia, some form of pan-Afghan nationalism is foistering. Taliban today is supported by a section of Pashtuns mostly. And then we have ethnic subnationalism.
2. Ok.
3. Maybe.

US failed because they failed to stymie the flow of $ and propaganda from Gulf Arabs; arms, ammunition from Pakistan, and committed manpower from all over Ummah.

TrueSpirit

@Singh:

We are a 2 trillion dollar economy, and we can spare a couple of billion to ensure regional and our own safety.
Exactly, & our safety lies in first addressing the immediate threats looming on our borders. We are woefully short on most counts (Topic for another thread).

Superpower US with all the possible levers in its armory (geo-political, diplomatic, monetary & muscle clout) had to spend a trillion dollars in Afghan quagmire, but nothing tangible/sustainable came out of it. Are we really expecting a few billion dollars would change the game there?

Or, are we assuming that major Afghan factions (who really matter) are so wise, generous & sorted out that Indian magnanimity & morally superior position, would win them in our fold & a few billion dollars can really do the trick in the Afghan sinkhole? We are talking of nation-building in a country where everything is blown to pieces within no time, on one pretext or the other.

There is a thing called "fiscal jurisprudence" whose meaning seems to be have been lost on us, so there are things like "current account deficit", "fiscal deficit", "balance of payments" that we keep hearing/reading in media. & that is not without any reason. Our growth rates are nearing its lowest in 2 decades & "stagflation" is the hallmark of our economic landscape. Defence budget has been decreased in real terms, for the first time in last 13 years, despite the immediate threats looming on our borders, with which there is no reconciliation in sight.

Now, lets have a peek at what lies beneath our 2-trillion dollar economy of just 1.2 billion people (& rising relentlessly :lol:). On a per-capita-income basis, India ranked 141st by nominal GDP and 130th by GDP (PPP) in 2012, according to the IMF Source: Wiki I don't see the need to recount the plight of nearly 60 crore Indians (mostly, rural & urban poor + lower middle class). Then, there is a substantial percentage of folks in India who have to scrape through a day with less than 1 dollar.

Education"¦. Health"¦..Immediate Defence(Chin-Pak nexus)"¦Border management"¦internal security challenges"¦"¦"¦ infrastructure"¦.Right to Food, Education & what not"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦ & then, the Afghan quicksand ?

There used to be a notion of "Priority". We can have our picks from the above areas, where the few billion dollars should go?

Further, it would be moral bankruptcy if Indian lives or Indian exchequer had to bear the brunt of Afghan development. We are not the only countries who are going to be benefitted by our efforts there. But above all, we are not the ones who created the problem in the first place & by whose misguided policies, Afghan is in such a mess.

Make no mistake (quoting the mad Bush Jr.), we are doing someone else's DIRTY BUSINESS. As they say in our neighborhoods. "Raita wo failayen aur saaf hum kare"? They are supposed to pay us in doing that, for they are the perpetrators there & are going to be beneficiaries of outcome (from our efforts). They have sponsored the insurgency & extremism there. They would also bankroll our development efforts there because it is in their interest to do so (prevent Afghan from reverting to a being a safe-haven for extremists). They are more capable than us (fiscally) & it's our obligation, in our own interest, to get them on-board.

Under Taliban, Afghanistan society was the most stable in close to last 4 decades. LeT and Taliban are not friends. LeT and JeM's sphere of operations are again largely India.
Western perspective..I do not subscribe to it. Recall, Kandhar episode + the spurt in terror attacks in J&K during that period. LeT, JeM are all insurgents fighting in Kashmir took inspiration from the establish of Islamic Emirate of Af-stan & were at their vicious best in their resistance against our security forces. Taliban have to be subdued, no matter what.

That is not how you operate in these parts. US supported "Taliban" right up till Soviet left, then disengaged, and then a few years later has poured in a trillion dollars trying to fight 'em.
Have a look at this. Bharat Rakshak "¢ View topic - "Becoming the Kabila": An Alternate Strategy For Afghanistan
"Becoming the Kabila": An Alternate Strategy For Afghanistan. This is one plausible strategy of operating there (mostly military aspect is highlighted). Once I have your feedback on this, I would share my perspective on what went really wrong for US in Af-stan.

We will stay committed for the long haul, so that when there is negotiation, our commitment counts.
Long haul & commitment are "nice to have" advantages in creating a strong appeal to the consciousness of Afghan's & players in the game. But more than any of that, it is the "desired impact" we create there, is what is going to count, when negotiations happen. We have played it ok, so far. Little loss of life & capital. Any more engagement have to be funded by relevant stakeholders with converging agenda, for reasons I mentioned above.

You counter Taliban Ideology with another narrative. Iran is already radicalising the Shia, some form of pan-Afghan nationalism is foistering. Taliban today is supported by a section of Pashtuns mostly. And then we have ethnic subnationalism.
Completely agree. My first card would be pan-Af-Pak Pakhtoon nationalism, uniting Pakhtoons across the border with a common united homeland, reducing Pak & Afghan to its size. To hell with Durand line that holds no sanctity in anyone's eyes. It would lot more safer for other ethnicities there, that way.

US failed because they failed to stymie the flow of $ and propaganda from Gulf Arabs; arms, ammunition from Pakistan, and committed manpower from all over Ummah.
Yes, but why did they failed to stymie that flow ? Domestic political compulsions, corporate interest groups & there were some more factors that only Wikileaks :thumb: can reveal.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Singh:
Exactly, & our safety lies in first addressing the immediate threats looming on our borders. We are woefully short on most counts (Topic for another thread).

Superpower US with all the possible levers in its armory (geo-political, diplomatic, monetary & muscle clout) had to spend a trillion dollars in Afghan quagmire, but nothing tangible/sustainable came out of it. Are we really expecting a few billion dollars would change the game there?

Or, are we assuming that major Afghan factions (who really matter) are so wise, generous & sorted out that Indian magnanimity & morally superior position, would win them in our fold & a few billion dollars can really do the trick in the Afghan sinkhole? We are talking of nation-building in a country where everything is blown to pieces within no time, on one pretext or the other.

There is a thing called "fiscal jurisprudence" whose meaning seems to be have been lost on us, so there are things like "current account deficit", "fiscal deficit", "balance of payments" that we keep hearing/reading in media. & that is not without any reason. Our growth rates are nearing its lowest in 2 decades & "stagflation" is the hallmark of our economic landscape. Defence budget has been decreased in real terms, for the first time in last 13 years, despite the immediate threats looming on our borders, with which there is no reconciliation in sight.

Now, lets have a peek at what lies beneath our 2-trillion dollar economy of just 1.2 billion people (& rising relentlessly :lol:). On a per-capita-income basis, India ranked 141st by nominal GDP and 130th by GDP (PPP) in 2012, according to the IMF Source: Wiki I don't see the need to recount the plight of nearly 60 crore Indians (mostly, rural & urban poor + lower middle class). Then, there is a substantial percentage of folks in India who have to scrape through a day with less than 1 dollar.

Education"¦. Health"¦..Immediate Defence(Chin-Pak nexus)"¦Border management"¦internal security challenges"¦"¦"¦ infrastructure"¦.Right to Food, Education & what not"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦"¦ & then, the Afghan quicksand ?

There used to be a notion of "Priority". We can have our picks from the above areas, where the few billion dollars should go?

Further, it would be moral bankruptcy if Indian lives or Indian exchequer had to bear the brunt of Afghan development. We are not the only countries who are going to be benefitted by our efforts there. But above all, we are not the ones who created the problem in the first place & by whose misguided policies, Afghan is in such a mess.

Make no mistake (quoting the mad Bush Jr.), we are doing someone else's DIRTY BUSINESS. As they say in our neighborhoods. "Raita wo failayen aur saaf hum kare"? They are supposed to pay us in doing that, for they are the perpetrators there & are going to be beneficiaries of outcome (from our efforts). They have sponsored the insurgency & extremism there. They would also bankroll our development efforts there because it is in their interest to do so (prevent Afghan from reverting to a being a safe-haven for extremists). They are more capable than us (fiscally) & it's our obligation, in our own interest, to get them on-board.
You have absolutely misunderstood and twisted the point.

You are making the same argument that Ramesh made regarding the futility of a space programme when we have a lack of toilets.

Sparing a few billion to ensure that Afghanistan doesn't fall to Taliban again is money well spent. And later on you write that Taliban must be subdued, and we are too poor to spend money, confused much ?

And we are not going to do any nation building in Afghanistan a la USA.

=====

Western perspective..I do not subscribe to it. Recall, Kandhar episode + the spurt in terror attacks in J&K during that period. LeT, JeM are all insurgents fighting in Kashmir took inspiration from the establish of Islamic Emirate of Af-stan & were at their vicious best in their resistance against our security forces. Taliban have to be subdued, no matter what.
LeT and JeM have been operating in Kashmir(in various guises) since before Taliban was created. This is not the Western Perspective.

===
Have a look at this. Bharat Rakshak "¢ View topic - "Becoming the Kabila": An Alternate Strategy For Afghanistan
"Becoming the Kabila": An Alternate Strategy For Afghanistan. This is one plausible strategy of operating there (mostly military aspect is highlighted). Once I have your feedback on this, I would share my perspective on what went really wrong for US in Af-stan.
I don't think you understood, I don't care about why the Americans failed in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am concerned with Indian strategy in Afghanistan.

==
Long haul & commitment are "nice to have" advantages in creating a strong appeal to the consciousness of Afghan's & players in the game. But more than any of that, it is the "desired impact" we create there, is what is going to count, when negotiations happen. We have played it ok, so far. Little loss of life & capital. Any more engagement have to be funded by relevant stakeholders with converging agenda, for reasons I mentioned above.
We have our own agenda.

Its quite clear USA is bringing Taliban to the table and doing its best to accommodate Pakistan and keeping us out.

Completely agree. My first card would be pan-Af-Pak Pakhtoon nationalism, uniting Pakhtoons across the border with a common united homeland, reducing Pak & Afghan to its size. To hell with Durand line that holds no sanctity in anyone's eyes. It would lot more safer for other ethnicities there, that way.
We need to support all stakeholders opposed to Taliban. BTW even the Taliban refused to recognize the Durand Line.

Yes, but why did they failed to stymie that flow ? Domestic political compulsions, corporate interest groups & there were some more factors that only Wikileaks :thumb: can reveal.
Good thing for us. We can be unorthodox to ensure the flow is stymied.

TrueSpirit

You are making the same argument that Ramesh made regarding the futility of a space programme when we have a lack of toilets.

Sparing a few billion to ensure that Afghanistan doesn't fall to Taliban again is money well spent. And later on you write that Taliban must be subdued, and we are too poor to spend money, confused much ?
Not at all, Sir. There is no confusion whatsoever (I know my thing :lol:). It is all about priorities, resourcefulness & smart play. As I have been reiterating all long, this is my perspective:

Our safety lies in first addressing the immediate threats (Chin-Pak nexus) looming on our borders. We are woefully short on most counts. Regional safety & subduing Taliban comes later. So, regarding subduing Taliban, it is as simple as that:

Imperative ? Yes.
Highest priority: No. We have more immediate concerns.

Here's my take why we should not spend (actually, don't have to spend) much in that quagmire apart from the facts related to our national priorities, fiscal jurisprudence, subsidy-burdened exchequer, & that fact that a few billion dollars is a trickle in Afghan sinkhole:

1) We are not the only countries who are going to be benefited by our efforts there.
2) But above all, we are not the ones who created the problem in the first place & by whose misguided policies, Afghan is in such a mess.
3) We are doing someone else's DIRTY BUSINESS. As they say in our neighborhoods. "Raita wo failayen aur saaf hum kare"?
4) They are supposed to pay us in doing that, for they are the perpetrators there & are going to be beneficiaries of outcome (from our efforts). They have sponsored the insurgency & extremism there.
5) They would also bankroll our development efforts there because it is in their interest to do so (prevent Afghan from reverting to a being a safe-haven for extremists).
6) They are more capable than us (fiscally) & it's our obligation, in our own interest, to get them on-board.

And we are not going to do any nation building in Afghanistan a la USA.
Hope so, but whatever name you give it: nation-building, capacity-building, infrastructure development, democratic institutional-strengthening, friendly assistance, eventually, we need to spend more than a couple of billions of dollars. And its anybody's guess, how things are going to unfold for us once get more active there. Most nations have started with military interventions in there, but some got their nose bloodied, some turned broke & some had to concede ground to return to a situation that was even worse.

And if it comes to that, i.e. committing any more lives/troops/capital, we need to outsource our efforts to mercenary groups & multiple factions, with like-minded & capable nations on-board.

Under Taliban, Afghanistan society was the most stable in close to last 4 decades. LeT and Taliban are not friends. LeT and JeM's sphere of operations are again largely India.
LeT and JeM have been operating in Kashmir(in various guises) since before Taliban was created. This is not the Western Perspective.
Your statement that :
Under Taliban, Afghanistan society was the most stable in close to last 4 decades. LeT and Taliban are not friends.
is primarily a Western perspective. As I have already said, there order & calm they brought was the one that one sees in graveyards & cremation grounds. Not acceptable.
Compare it how people lived their lives & went about their way in Rashid Dostum's Herat, after they had rooted out Taliban from there.

LeT and JeM have been operating in Kashmir(in various guises) since before Taliban was created.
Who is not aware of this ? I wrote & I quote: Recall, Kandhar episode + the spurt in terror attacks in J&K during that period. LeT, JeM are all insurgents fighting in Kashmir took inspiration from the establish of Islamic Emirate of Af-stan & were at their vicious best in their resistance against our security forces.

LeT and Taliban are not friends.
No, not directly connected. But the same gun-running & drug-money nexus fuels both. Add to that: common Wahabi indoctrination, etc.

LeT and JeM's sphere of operations are again largely India
When was that denied? The fact is, they were emboldened, spirited, motivated & more capable then (during the period that Taliban ruled Afghan, for reasons I shared above) than they are today. So, I do not need Taliban to bring any more order & calm in Af-stan. It has repercussions in India & elsewhere, due to their bolstering effect on all Islamic insurgent groups.

I don't think you understood, I don't care about why the Americans failed in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am concerned with Indian strategy in Afghanistan.
I do. But here's something: Wise is the one who learns from other's mistake. Ordinary is the one who learns from his own mistakes & foolish is one who repeats his own mistakes.

It never harms to learn from others so that we don't repeat their mistakes.

We have our own agenda. Its quite clear USA is bringing Taliban to the table and doing its best to accommodate Pakistan and keeping us out.
Yes, that's right. US have no viable options. They have to play to Pak's gallery, since it is the Pak Army that has leverage on Taliban. We have obvious geographical limitations wr.t. Afghanistan. They find us less capable than Pak to handle situation there, which is a fact. No amount of institution-building & winning hearts-n-minds would score over good ol' raw muscle power, that Pak Army possesses in form of Taliban.

We have to prove everyone that we count & all possible means should be leveraged to demonstrate the same. Arming rival factions, mercenaries, targeted assassinations, creating dissensions within Taliban cadre & Pakhtoon populace (an onerous but not impossible task), accommodating disgruntled factions, etc. are means that can employed to achieve the same.

We need to support all stakeholders opposed to Taliban. BTW even the Taliban refused to recognize the Durand Line.
If we can spawn/foment a pan-Pakhtoon nationhood identity, Pak's influence can be contained & Pak nation would be cut to size. But this calls for some sort of limited/indirect engagement with Taliban. Anyway, understanding the enemy closely in order to reduce him helps. Pan-Pakhtoon nationhood is the ideal & ultimate diversionary tactics that could be created to ensure that all violence is either directed towards Pak (via-TTP etc.) or contained within a limited region, securing the non-Pakhtoon nationalities in Afghan (one of our main objectives).

Good thing for us. We can be unorthodox to ensure the flow is stymied.
Nobody has a clue how to do it. Political will is absent, as well.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Not at all, Sir. There is no confusion whatsoever (I know my thing :lol:). It is all about priorities, resourcefulness & smart play. As I have been reiterating all long, this is my perspective:

Our safety lies in first addressing the immediate threats (Chin-Pak nexus) looming on our borders. We are woefully short on most counts. Regional safety & subduing Taliban comes later. So, regarding subduing Taliban, it is as simple as that:

Imperative ? Yes.
Highest priority: No. We have more immediate concerns.

Here's my take why we should not spend (actually, don't have to spend) much in that quagmire apart from the facts related to our national priorities, fiscal jurisprudence, subsidy-burdened exchequer, & that fact that a few billion dollars is a trickle in Afghan sinkhole:

1) We are not the only countries who are going to be benefited by our efforts there.
2) But above all, we are not the ones who created the problem in the first place & by whose misguided policies, Afghan is in such a mess.
3) We are doing someone else's DIRTY BUSINESS. As they say in our neighborhoods. "Raita wo failayen aur saaf hum kare"?
4) They are supposed to pay us in doing that, for they are the perpetrators there & are going to be beneficiaries of outcome (from our efforts). They have sponsored the insurgency & extremism there.
5) They would also bankroll our development efforts there because it is in their interest to do so (prevent Afghan from reverting to a being a safe-haven for extremists).
6) They are more capable than us (fiscally) & it's our obligation, in our own interest, to get them on-board.
How is spending a couple of billion dollars in Afghanistan being fiscally and strategically imprudent ?

1. So ?
2. So ?
3. No. Taliban controlled Afghanistan, will mean resurgence in ISI's campaign in India and Kashmir, and also growing radicalization in India
4. How ?
5. So ?

Hope so, but whatever name you give it: nation-building, capacity-building, infrastructure development, democratic institutional-strengthening, friendly assistance, eventually, we need to spend more than a couple of billions of dollars. And its anybody's guess, how things are going to unfold for us once get more active there. Most nations have started with military interventions in there, but some got their nose bloodied, some turned broke & some had to concede ground to return to a situation that was even worse.

And if it comes to that, i.e. committing any more lives/troops/capital, we need to outsource our efforts to mercenary groups & multiple factions, with like-minded & capable nations on-board.
You don't understand. if India wants to be a global top dog, it should atleast be a regional bulldog.
If we can't spare a few billion to help Afghanistan, then why are we spending 30 billion dollars a year on buying power projection military items, if we don't want to be a force of good ?

Your statement that : is primarily a Western perspective. As I have already said, there order & calm they brought was the one that one sees in graveyards & cremation grounds. Not acceptable.
Compare it how people lived their lives & went about their way in Rashid Dostum's Herat, after they had rooted out Taliban from there.
Dostum was a right prick, still is.
Taliban atleast brought some semblance of order. They are anti-democratic, anti-women rights etc, but so is Saudi Arabia.
I am not condoning Taliban rule, but it was much better than any other factions rule.

Who is not aware of this ? I wrote & I quote: Recall, Kandhar episode + the spurt in terror attacks in J&K during that period. LeT, JeM are all insurgents fighting in Kashmir took inspiration from the establish of Islamic Emirate of Af-stan & were at their vicious best in their resistance against our security forces.

No, not directly connected. But the same gun-running & drug-money nexus fuels both. Add to that: common Wahabi indoctrination, etc.
You are not even mistaking correlation with causation. Kashmir in the early 90s was a shithole. Taliban were nowhere in the picture then.

When was that denied? The fact is, they were emboldened, spirited, motivated & more capable then (during the period that Taliban ruled Afghan, for reasons I shared above) than they are today. So, I do not need Taliban to bring any more order & calm in Af-stan. It has repercussions in India & elsewhere, due to their bolstering effect on all Islamic insurgent groups.
Again you are confusing issues

1. You believe Taliban inspired ISI's lapdogs to commit terrorism in Kashmir
2. Taliban never brought order to Afghanistan
3. We should not spend a dime in Afghanistan to counter Taliban

To which my answer is
1. No. Taliban didn't inspire Kashmiri insurgents,because they were operating before Taliban came into existence
2. No. Taliban brought order, but they are bad news for us. We don't want an Islamic Wahabbi State in our neighbourhood.
3. No. Without spending money in Afghanistan, we cannot achieve our objective, and its not like we are a poor country.

I do. But here's something: Wise is the one who learns from other's mistake. Ordinary is the one who learns from his own mistakes & foolish is one who repeats his own mistakes.

It never harms to learn from others so that we don't repeat their mistakes.
Ok, so we will not spend a trillion dollars, send troops to Afghanistan, and give aid to Pakistan.

Yes, that's right. US have no viable options. They have to play to Pak's gallery, since it is the Pak Army that has leverage on Taliban. We have obvious geographical limitations wr.t. Afghanistan. They find us less capable than Pak to handle situation there, which is a fact. No amount of institution-building & winning hearts-n-minds would score over good ol' raw muscle power, that Pak Army possesses in form of Taliban.

We have to prove everyone that we count & all possible means should be leveraged to demonstrate the same. Arming rival factions, mercenaries, targeted assassinations, creating dissensions within Taliban cadre & Pakhtoon populace (an onerous but not impossible task), accommodating disgruntled factions, etc. are means that can employed to achieve the same.
Ok

If we can spawn/foment a pan-Pakhtoon nationhood identity, Pak's influence can be contained & Pak nation would be cut to size. But this calls for some sort of limited/indirect engagement with Taliban. Anyway, understanding the enemy closely in order to reduce him helps. Pan-Pakhtoon nationhood is the ideal & ultimate diversionary tactics that could be created to ensure that all violence is either directed towards Pak (via-TTP etc.) or contained within a limited region, securing the non-Pakhtoon nationalities in Afghan (one of our main objectives).
Yes.

Nobody has a clue how to do it. Political will is absent, as well.
Agreed.

TrueSpirit

@Singh

How is spending a couple of billion dollars in Afghanistan being fiscally and strategically imprudent ? Containing Chin-Pak nexus is priority in an economy under sustained stagflation, with little respite in sight. Our fiscal situation & credit status is no secret. I have shared the headlines in previous posts. Newspapers would tell you more.

1. So ? Let other stakeholders & like-minded nations sponsor our efforts (if they can sponsor insurgency & jihad, they can do some positive also.

2. So ? We do not waste money in Af-stan sinkhole.

3. No. Taliban controlled Afghanistan, will mean resurgence in ISI's campaign in India and Kashmir, and also growing radicalization in India
Yes, & it is capable of turning into a terrorist haven again. It troubles many CIS nations, Iran, Russia & US/EU as well. So, others are stakeholders as well. And not to forget, they are the original instigators/perpetrators, as well Now, most of these nations can pay. They have to be brought on-board. Requires diplomatic skills.

4. How ? Both US & India are capable in transferring & accepting funding under various guises, aren't they ? But, let the policy-makers figure out the how part. Nitty-gritties are best left to seasoned professional

5. So ? So, we do not drain our dollars there.

You don't understand. if India wants to be a global top dog, it should atleast be a regional bulldog.
If we can't spare a few billion to help Afghanistan, then why are we spending 30 billion dollars a year on buying power projection military items, if we don't want to be a force of good ?
We can become a regional bulldog by getting the job done. It does not matter how. Draining our exchequer & putting our lives at stake is not a pre-condition in achieving that. That's what resourcefulness & smart-played statecraft is all about. We can be at the forefront of such effort, but a solid alliance backing us is mandatory.

Power projection is an aspirational agenda. We can become a force of good later on, if we manage to uphold the sanctity of our boundaries & call Paki nuke bluff. So, let us first concentrate on tackling Chin-Pak nexus & accomplish a working, reliable nuclear triad.

Second, If India wants to be an expeditionary force, Af-stan is not the first ground where it needs to put its boot on. We have already messed up in IPKF, because we lack political will & few other reasons.

Anyway, most of our defence purchases are meant for handling more immediate threats.

Finally, no individual nation alone can keep the Taliban at bay & build infrastructure, simultaneously. We need allies on-board, who are capable & willing to contribute their bit.

Taliban atleast brought some semblance of order. They are anti-democratic, anti-women rights etc, but so is Saudi Arabia.
I am not condoning Taliban rule, but it was much better than any other factions rule.
I said & I quote, the order & calm Taliban brought was the one that one sees in graveyards & cremation grounds. Not done. Not acceptable to anyone here. Anyone who does not belong to Pak/Saudi camp, is preferred there. Taliban is not an option. We need to ensure that become irrelevant & relegated to the shadows, eventually. Pan-Pakhtoon nationalism could be one possible tool to accomplish that.

You are not even mistaking correlation with causation. Kashmir in the early 90s was a shithole. Taliban were nowhere in the picture then.
Without going all academic, I would share a simple, known fact. Kashmir in the early 90s was a shithole because the Mujaheddin were on the loose (not pre-occupied enough) post-Soviet withdrawal. And, it was not ISI Special Services Group Commadoes, who stormed IA convoys, fortifications & executed terror attacks. Many of them were Mujaheddin of diverse origins. This is public knowledge. We are talking of the period between 1993-August 2001. Taliban was very much there then. And, by 1996, they were calling the shots.

Whether you like it or not, Taliban govt. in Kabul motivates & emboldens Jihadi's. That is, apart from providing just the right ecosystem & support infra to breed extremists, who are exported to neighboring countries.

Again you are confusing issues. No Sir. At least, not yet. :namaste:

1. You believe Taliban inspired ISI's lapdogs to commit terrorism in Kashmir: No, I do not believe so. Care to show, where have I written anything that remotely corresponds to this ? Taliban was an extremely powerful tool whose presence in Af-stan provided just the right ecosystem & support infra to breed jiahdi extremists, who were exported to neighboring countries.

2. Taliban never brought order to Afghanistan. No, I do not believe this. I said & I quote, the order & calm Taliban brought was the one that one sees in graveyards & cremation grounds. Not done. Not acceptable to anyone here. Anyone who does not belong to Pak/Saudi camp, is preferred there. Taliban is not an option.

3. We should not spend a dime in Afghanistan to counter Taliban. Yes, we should not. Not anymore. We have spent enough (corresponding to our priorities vis-a-vis capacity), now others are welcome to chip in. We are doing a huge favour to everyone, by getting in that mess. We are better off without getting in that quagmire. We can contain insurgency without getting in Af-stan, as well; the way we have contained it today. So, it is a favour to others as much as it means to us. If we have to get in that shithole, allies have to contribute their bit.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This is not Facebook but a Indian defense forum, you don't show your smarty pants by calling someone county shit-hole here..

========================================

You are clueless, Read / Watch and learn >>

The Accidental Guerilla – David Kilcullen

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/land-forces/41177-accidental-guerilla-david-kilcullen.html
David Kilcullen is an author and a consultant on counter insurgency and counter terrorism. A former Australian Army officer, he left that army as a Lieutenant Colonel in 2005 and now works for the United States State Department.
========================

Personally i have friends who served there time in astan..

Carry on..

i'd say we should supply whatever they are asking for. but not for free.

karazai govt is utterly weak, some afghans support it most consider it to be american installed puppets. afghanistan is bastically a pakistani colony. most pashtuns are pro taliban. NATO could not eliminate talibs because of this very reason. post 2014 pakis will do their best to get taliban back into power. then there are tajiks, uzbeks etc.

India should just stay away from that sh-thole that is afghanistan. their hatred for hindus and sikhs is far greater than their hate for pakis.
just my observation.. you know. nothing personal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles