Delhi open to Kabul arms request

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Delhi open to Kabul arms request

In an attempt to enhance defence ties with Afghanistan in the light of the impending American drawdown in 2014, New Delhi on Saturday asserted it was prepared to consider Kabul's request for the supply of arms.

Answering a question about Afghan ambassador to India Shaida M. Abdali's request for enhanced defence ties, including supply of lethal and non-lethal military equipment, MEA spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said mechanisms are available under the Strategic Partnership Agreement inked in 2011. "Our view is that there is a mechanism available, and all issues are discussed under this mechanism. And within our own modest means as a developing country, we will continue to discuss and respond to specific requests of the Afghan government," he said, adding, "There are diplomatic channels available and we will consider these (requests) as and when they are raised in the channels which are available."
Even as he emphasised that India has been focusing on re-building the war-torn country by ushering in economic development, Mr Akbaruddin conceded, "We realise that we cannot ignore political and security issues that stand in the way of realising that."
India also has been helping Afghanistan by way of providing training in capacity building to 2,000 Afghans every year. Economic assistance to Kabul currently stands at $2 billion.
Read More here : Delhi open to Kabul arms request | The Asian Age

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Great... :thumb: please supply good amount of bamboos too... Pakis need it.

The Last Stand

Country flag
Afghan Army needs artillery and tank upgrade.

I'd suppose this will do nicely for artillery-

They already have a few hundred TATA and Mahindra trucks courtesy of us.

As for Afghan Air Force, they lack an air-superiority fighter. Should we give Rosoboronexport's Sukhoi division phone number to Karzai?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
They lack quantity, These are expensive and not in large numbers..

And are not design to take 21kg IED, Mahindra one and OFB 6x6 can take 21kg under belly..

They have M1117 Internal security MPV already.

datguy79

We need Pinakas asap to counter Pakistani rocket attacks on Kunar. Dhruvs would be nice too, better to get 2 Dhruvs than a single Mi-17.
@Keshav Murali American jets will be stationed in AFG till 2024 at least, so it is not an urgency. A jet also costs around 7k per hour flying, so it is a nice chunk of change. I would rather wait till AFG is awash with mineral money.

Last edited by a moderator:

ladder

Country flag
They lack quantity, These are expensive and not in large numbers..

And are not design to take 21kg IED, Mahindra one and OFB 6x6 can take 21kg under belly..
Kunal sir, Maj.Gen. Ashok Meheta also mentioned it ( discussion in a news channel) as immediate requirement for Afgan forces ,followed by artillery, tanks and choppers.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
We need Pinakas asap to counter Pakistani rocket attacks on Kunar. Dhruvs would be nice too, better to get 2 Dhruvs than a single Mi-17.
@Keshav Murali American jets will be stationed in AFG till 2024 at least, so it is not an urgency. A jet also costs around 7k per hour flying, so it is a nice chunk of change. I would rather wait till AFG is awash with mineral money.
you guys can ask for this

OFB 105mm SPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it can be very effective weapon if used properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

ladder

Country flag
you guys can ask for this

it can be very effective weapon if used properly.
Afghanistan said a policeman was killed, and accused Pakistan of using heavy artillery and tanks during the fighting along Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar province.
http://http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/national/20-May-2013/karzai-seeks-indian-military-aid-amid-pak-tensions

Sayareakd Sir if the above is true then they need heavy artillery and tanks to counter Pakistani forces

ladder

Country flag
I am sorry i didn't get you. Why should we be directly involved in Afgan-Pakistan skrimish, except for arming Afgan forces.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I am sorry i didn't get you. Why should we be directly involved in Afgan-Pakistan skrimish, except for arming Afgan forces.
sorry i completely misunderstood you. lets start again.

This 105 mm is small system but it can fire and run system, plus with MRSI it can fire more rounds at same target and by the time it is detected it will run away. 17 km range is not small specially in mountain region and area where the Af-pak border is.

ladder

Country flag
My Idea for this situation is two folds

First analyzing the constraints that we have
1. monetary crunch- we may not provide the volume that the Afgan forces want in the time frame of their requirement.
2. capacity crunch- we ourselves don't have the capacity to be able to carry the equipment load to arm a addl. force.
3. political apathy - it has no cure.

Now we have to device a working strategy( under constraints) to be able to meaningfully arm Afgan forces so that they can stand up against their adversary

For artillery we our self have infused 359 crores into OFB to facilitate the production of Desi upgunned Bofors.
But the capacity we are building are for first year 14, 2nd yr 36 and third yr 60.
With addl. funding we can add addl. capacity and this would not be difficult we are just starting. This addl. capacity shall equip Afgan forces.

But, this would not be able to satisfy the number requirement.
so, as second step Afgan forces should buy M-46 130mm howitzer from former soviet block countries who may have them in reserve.
These then can be upgraded to 155 45cal howitzers by our private industry ( along with our own m46 upgrade)

This will also result in substantial cost savings as the new 155 howitzer cost 11cr a piece but the upgraded one will cost far less.

Tata SP / Mounted Howitzers can also be provided.

In case of Choppers also HAL has a production capacity of around 40 Dhruvs/yr, and any order by Afgan forces has to be processed over and above that capacity.
Here also mix of Dhruv and Cheetal has to be offered.

In case of mine protected vehicle fortunately there is no problem of capacity as along with OFB, private players have presence.

Pinaka is again a sticky wicket again.
1. the rocket production at Ambhajhari plant has not picked up capacity as wanted but with recent impetuous on it we will overcome the problem.
2. Pinaka launcher is built around tatra platform and is not a platform independent design.So, even under heights of the tatra fiasco army had to give clearance for 100 odd tatra trucks for raising two regiments of Pinaka.
3. so, we have to redesign it to be mounted on Tata platform (DRDO will take time for it)( again if we sincerely want to avoid tatra)

For tanks again we can upgrade the T-72 they have ( i am not quite sure if they have it)
For export of Arjun it will be a political call.

as for Rest of equipment, respected members have already posted in this thread.

my 2 cents

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
ANA are not very fond of Armour, what is important now is to give them everything they need for CT ops ..

Where as Heavy arty, Pinaka ( With TATA trucks ) and WLR should be given to them with proper training here in India, Pakistani gunners are skilled..

ladder

Country flag
sorry i completely misunderstood you. lets start again.

This 105 mm is small system but it can fire and run system, plus with MRSI it can fire more rounds at same target and by the time it is detected it will run away. 17 km range is not small specially in mountain region and area where the Af-pak border is.
X-posting from another thread
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/foreign-relations/51152-karzais-india-visit-expects-lethan-non-lethal-military-equipments.html#post736097
posted by Yusuf Sir.

Your assessment is bang on target :thumb:

SilentKiller

Country flag
right now india can sell...
BMP -2 (india already have good production line and afghan military is somewhat familiar with this weapon system)
105 mm light OFB guns are best sale option as they are cheaper than most western guns, light weight considering low road infra in Afghanistan forward areas.
81 mm mortars is another good sale option.
and 12-20 Dhruv chopter and 5-10 armed versions also.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles