Delhi better than London and New York: LSE study

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by cobra commando, Nov 12, 2014.

1. cobra commando

cobra commando Tharki regiment Veteran Member Senior Member

Delhi attracts a bad name for its crime, traffic snarls and governance, but statistics generated by an international survey reveal that the national capital fares well in many ways when compared to other cities like London, New York, Tokyo, Istanbul and Berlin. Delhi's performance across a number of indicators was compared to these cities in terms of economy, population, society, governance, density, green space, environment and transport during the study by LSE Cities, a research centre at the London School of Economics supported by Deustche Bank's Alfred Herrhausen Society. The latest data from the National Crime Records Bureau for 2013 projects Delhi as India's crime capital. With women in the city vulnerable to rape, abduction and murders, Delhi has often been shown in a poor light. Yet, the study showed Delhi has a very low level of violent crime measured by the murder rate (homicides per 100,000 people). Bogota, like other Latin American cities, still suffers from 16.1 homicides per 100,000 people, while New York at 5.6 has over double the murder rate of Delhi, which stands at 2.7 homicides per 100,000 people. Delhi's projected increase in income per capita is one of the largest amongst the global cities that were surveyed. Its average annual gross value added (GVA) growth in the metro area during 2012-2030 will be 7 per cent (in London it will be 2.8 per cent, in Lagos 6.6 per cent, and in Tokyo only 1.1 per cent). At the same time, the population of Delhi's metro area over the same period is expected to only grow by 2 per cent a year compared to Lagos at 6.4 per cent per year. Tokyo will shrink by 0.1 per cent between 2012 and 2030.

Read more:
    Delhi better than London and New York: LSE study : North, News - India Today

Kshatriya87 and pmaitra like this.
  3. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Wow! India todat really raped that headline.

(It's funny because dilli. lel)

cobra commando likes this.
  4. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

London School of Economics is well known.

I wonder why this result came out of this study? I suppose the banking cartels are trying to migrate towards the east? One has to remember who coined the term BRICS (BRIC to be precise).

5. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

And our fellow Pakistani members say that delhi is the rape and crime capital of the world. huh !!

6. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Pakis are born retards. No matter how bad Delhi is, it is better than the best Paki city. Pakis like @genius should shut up if they have any shame, but unfortunately they do not.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  7. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

New York is the rape capital of the world.

A 10 hour walk video of NY and Mumbai compares. In NY, the girl faced nearly continuous cat calls and at least one stalking. None in Mumbai.

Kshatriya87 likes this.
  8. Kshatriya87

Yes I saw those videos. However, it does not reflect all angles of reality.

9. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

One thing that is remarkable in Delhi is the green cover- the sheer number of trees is remarkable.

Kshatriya87 likes this.
  10. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Why not tell us about all the "angles"?

11. Kshatriya87

Well to name a few;

1. The areas she was walking in were not the worst neighbourhoods in Mumbai.
    2. Most of the walking was done in day time & the remaining was early night, not late night.
    3. These were crowded places with fairly good number of people around. And if you have lived in Mumbai, you will know that citizens here don't leave any opportunity to beat the Sh*t out of people if a girl complains.

12. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Lots of areas were covered in both cases. In both the cases the girls DID NOT complain, though in case NY a lot of people complain. In Mumbai there was no need of complaining.

Mumbai areas were ,more crowded, hence a fair presence of low life WAS expected, none surfaced.

Any other angle? oh, perhaps skin difference.

You think the NY people, busy in cat calling, would have cared a bit if the girl complained?

13. Kshatriya87

I said worse areas. "Lot of areas do not cover that". Second, I didn't say anything about NYC here. I am not comparing both of them. Skin difference? Where did that come from?

14. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

Another angle has surfaced.

An actor who recorded 10 hours of catcalls and remarks from passersby in New York City has received rape threats in response to a video detailing the harassment, ...

Woman receives rape threats after recording 10 hours of harassment in New York | Life and style | The Guardian

Any such threat in case of Mumbai?

Comp[are the dress. In NY it was jeans and top. In Mumbai a short skirt, low neck, body hugging top.

100 cat calls vs ZERO.

Btw, lots would definitely cover worse areas too, after all there must have been body guards nearby in both the cases.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  15. genius

genius Regular Member

Ask any girl in Mumbai if she'd like to live in NY or Mumbai. We all know the answer. This is because Indian cities are generally unsafe for women, and that includes the great Mumbai. The video doesn't change that. However, we can be happy that places like mumbai, delhi etc. are better than kabul, lahore etc.

Also I couldn't help but wonder why we have zero originality. Someone makes 100 hrs of walking in NYC, and we make ... well, you catch my drift. It's like we're incapable of original thought.

16. santosh10

santosh10 Senior Member Senior Member

Genius, the same answer girls living in NewYork also don't know, isn't it? :tsk:

we have rape rate of countries as below. even if people claim that many of the crimes against women remains unnoticed in India, we do know that we have more laws to defend women in India, so the major crimes like rapes/murders/robberies won't go un-noticed, its also true...

=> but we find high crime rate of US mainly because of drugs related violence. we discussing it in the thread as below too :thumb:

defenceforumindia.com/forum/religion-culture/64399-high-crime-rate-us-west-india-study.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  17. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Talk about yourself.

Don't say "we".

I am very original.

You don't represent me.

I'll deck you... I swear on me mum.