Delhi autorickshaws say no to satnav

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Anonymous, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Regular Member

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14384082

Those who have never been to New Delhi don't know what kind of menance these autorickshaw drivers are. They will refuse to go places and want to go without meter almost 9 out of 10 times. Those who do will refuse to even return your change back these days. If you get charged Rs. 73/- and you give him Rs 80/- they will not give you balance of Rs 7/- saying they dont have change. You can only hire an auto after asking him if he would like to goto a certain place and more than half of them would straight away ask for Rs 20/- or Rs 10/- more from meter price. Thank god these days due to Metro indulgence with auto drivers is at minimum but nonetheless still exists. The govt. is taking right decisions to control these miscreants and nuisance to public who cheat people out of their money and fail to follow govt. regulations. I'm all for regulating autorickshaws as per govt. rules and regulations or completely removing these autocratic miscreants from Delhi forever.

3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I am yet to see a city where auto drivers dont overcharge. I am yet to see a city where they are polite and go where the passenger asks them to go. But at the end of the day, these autos are a necessary evil as public transportation across India is either poor or inadequate. In Bangalore the sanctioned strength of autos is about 80,000. Just recently the govt cleared addition of another 50,000. These guys are one of the premier violators of traffic rules. They will drive on the right and lane at 20kmph when they dont have passengers and zoom in the left when they have. They will snake across and are one of the premier reason for slow moving traffic in Bangalore. An experiment to have separate lanes for autos showed how much faster others can move when autos are boxed into one lane. But as all attempts by Bangalore Traffic Police, such measures are short lived. After 9PM they will charge you 1.5 times the meter. Now the meter is already set to run at least 20% higher than actual. The so called digital meters too are not tamper proof. It can be made to jump at will with a switch in control of the driver.

So the GPS thing is good, but not implementable as it will require a monitoring mechanism. We know how good we are monitoring. There was no one monitoring whatever little bit of the CCTV that runs in Mumbai. The other thing that raises questions is why is there a 15,000 annual renewal fee? Is it to finance the monitoring system? What assurance does the govt give that this system will be fool proof to benefit passengers?

Anonymous likes this.
  4. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

yusuf, also, 10/- extra, software engineer saar :D

5. Yusuf

you software guys are one of the reasons why prices in Bangalore have sky rocketed for everything.Lol.

sandeepdg and sayareakd like this.
  6. Tronic

Tronic Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Why not just buy a Nano and run it as a taxi?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Regular Member

I want to add that thanks to the Metro Rail system Delhiites save thousands of rupees every month. It's an extremely efficient, fast, reliable and cheap mode of transport. People are not dependent on auto's in Delhi as they used to be but still there are many places where metro's dont reach and all transport facilities should follow govt. rules and regulations.

Yusuf I have been to Bangalore and lived there for several years too and I echo your sentiment.

8. sandeepdg

sandeepdg Senior Member Senior Member

Same reason can be applied to Gurgoan. Prices for all services and even some commodities are absurd here. Noida is much better.

9. sandeepdg

Well, I think Nano's maintenance expenses will be more if compared to a auto.

10. sandeepdg

Well folks, as the old Hindi adage goes "Chor ki daari mein tinka". Now you know why these guys are objecting :)

11. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I was actually impressed with Bombay's taxi and autowallahs they are way better than any other auto/taxiwallahs I have seen in India.

12. Yusuf

There is talk about using nanos for taxis instead of autos as it is more safer as well. I think very soon we will see them. Even in Bangalore there was talk about it. Obviously very vehemently opposed by the auto drivers. Autos dont cost 1,35,000 but more because of the permit required and the bribe paid to get that permit. I think the auto permit costs about 50,000. dont know about the cost of bribe.