Delhi: Arunachali Student lynched by Mob, Cops do nothing

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Singh, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Ongoing and developing news.

I guess Delhi Police didn't have warrant.

3. Singh

Student from Arunachal 'beaten to death' in south Delhi

NEW DELHI: A college student from Arunachal Pradesh was allegedly beaten to death at Lajpat Nagar in south Delhi, Times Now reported.

According to reports, Nido Taniam, a student from Arunachal Pradesh, along with his friends, had gone to Lajpat Nagar market on Wednesday (January 29). Taniam, a first year student, had reportedly gone to Lajpat Nagar with three friends on Wednesday afternoon, and was looking for an address when someone at a sweet shop started mocking him.

Police sources say a fight erupted in which Taniam broke a glass at the shop.

A group of seven or eight local men then allegedly beat him with sticks and rods. Someone called the police, which reportedly arrived at the spot and took the four students away but inexplicably dropped them back at the same place after a while.

There were allegedly beaten again, sources added.

Meanwhile, the victim's cousins have claimed that Taniam was targeted because of his hairstyle.

The Aam Aadmi Party has put the onus on Delhi police over the death of Arunachal student.

"Whoever is responsible for the attack on Arunachal student must be given stringent punishment," Dilip Pandey, AAP leader, said.

The shopkeeper behind the attack has been detained by the Delhi police.

Student from Arunachal 'beaten to death' in south Delhi - The Times of India

4. Singh

Arunachal student Nido Taniam mocked for hair colour, lynched to death when he protested in busy Lajpat Nagar

18.13 pm: Representatives from Arunachal government reach Lajpal Nagar.

18.06 pm: AAP says Delhi Police msut take the case seriously.

17.50 pm: Students from North East will protest tomorrow over Nido's death.

A college student from Arunachal Pradesh died hours after allegedly being thrashed by the shopkeepers of south Delhi's busy Lajpat Nagar market, his relatives and friends said on Friday.

The deceased, Nido Taniam, was a first year student of Lovely Professional University and he happened to be the son of Arunachal Congress MLA Nido Pavitra.

Reacting to his death, Arunachal govt said that "Police say Delhi is safe, but after this I wonder if it's safe for NE students."

Students from North East will protest tomorrow.

According to the victim's relatives, the incident took place on the evening of January 29 and he succumbed to injuries the day after. An autopsy on the body took place at AIIMS on Friday.

According to reports, Tania was searching a residential address in Lajpat Nagar when a local resident commented on his hair colour. It was followed by an argument and scuffle.

Sources said that the police took away the boy from the spot, but dropped him back after some time.

The youth was then allegedly beaten up by the shopkeepers of the area and others.
    He was rushed to AIIMS in a serious condition but he could not survive.

More details about the incident were awaited.

Read more at: Arunachal student Nido Taniam mocked for hair colour, lynched to death when he protested in busy Lajpat Nagar : India, News - India Today

5. Singh

Already some people like @arnabmit making it about at AAP ! :shocked: :facepalm: :frusty:

The cops brought the student back for another round of beating.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  6. Singh

Blame game on between Green Park and Lajpat Nagar Police !

7. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

Of course it is about AAP. Bharati showed the way.

The dharna later cemented that vigilante mob justice is not only acceptable, but encouraged by the CM and his law(less) minister.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  8. tramp

tramp Senior Member Senior Member

Terrible incident. My heart goes out for the bereaved family and the entire North East.

File manslaughter/abetting of manslaughter charges against the police personnel who dropped the students back in the same area.

wrigsted, roma, SPIEZ and 3 others like this.
  9. Singh

You know what, you are right.

Bharti showed that if you don't like someone's hair colour, you should beat him.

Delhi Police so inspired by Bharti's actions, took away that chap without registering a FIR. And then brought him back so that the people can have another go at him.

Bharti's actions also inspired the people to have a second go at him and beat him to death.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Singh

AAP Govt cannot be held responsible for this incident.

If they have another Dharna for the deceased Congress MLA's son they will again be called anarchists.

The cops will be immediately be suspended because a Congress MLA's son died.

11. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

I am happy that I don't live in Delhi, since it's idiot Law(less) Minister backed by his CM and his followers like you find the public lynching of a boy a laughing matter.

This is exactly how the self-righteousness of a few morons bring about anarchy in a country!

Give AAP more power and Egypt, Libya & Syria would seem like heaven compared to AAP ruled states.

jackprince, kbd-raaf and K Factor like this.
  12. Singh

When I tried to explain that this is Delhi where people shoot each other for parking space, I was ignored.
    When I tried to explain that almost all the crime rackets have active police involvement, I was ignored
    When I said you know what happens in mob justice, people are lynched and cops overlook, I was ignored

This is an example of racist, mob rule with active police connivance. And an everyday fact of life. Just because he is North Eastern and a Politician's son this is getting media coverage. Otherwise, he would've been jotted down as a victim of Cold weather.

This poor man died because the shopkeeper or his assistants must've laughed at his hair colour. He probably got offended, and decided to speak out. He was a son of a Congress MLA afterall. The people around decided to teach him a lesson.
    Somebody must've called the cops. He would've been rude to the cops. The cops said screw you and decided to drop him there and must've asked the locals to have a go again and left.
    The locals obliged.
    The cops and locals didn't realize that this "-----i" was a Congress MLA's son.

wrigsted, indiatester and TrueSpirit1 like this.
  13. Singh

When Arvind Kejriwal tries to protest and ask for Police accountability he is an anarchist.
    When Bharti calls media and cops, and shows them crime happening, he is a vigilante.
    When Khirki residents show support for Bharti, they are racists.

14. Singh

If Delhi Police would've been accountable as demanded by almost all Delhi Govts: This and many other unreported incidents would've been avoided.

Shredder, indiatester and tramp like this.
  15. Singh

Shinde must resign, he obviously can't control Delhi Police.

TrueSpirit1 and arnabmit like this.
  16. feathers

feathers Tihar Jail Banned

17. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Sad incident!!!

18. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

The reports are saying the killing was a hate crime(race)...really? Do shopkeepers have such a huge issue with something like his looks, to the point where they hit with rods and kill him..? :confused:

I know people make jokes about looks white/black chini, but racist to the point where they get physical, here in India seems a bit strange...

RIP, very sad incident.

19. tramp

tramp Senior Member Senior Member

Shinde must have resigned/sacked long back.. but unfortunately, Congress tradition has been to have weak home ministers who would do the bidding of the party/PM, except perhaps Sardar Patel.

Each one somehow manages to succeed in making us think the predecessor better!!

20. Singh

And this is because he is a Congress MLA's son and a Northeastern. If he was a Bihari labourer, nobody would've bothered. And his death would've been jotted down as due to cold exposure. No questions asked, no murder enquiry, no spike in crime stats.

Pretty sure the CCTVs, if any around, would be found non-functional. I can say this because of personal experience.

Menhit, parijataka and TrueSpirit1 like this.
  21. Singh

Obviously people will not kill you because of the way you look. And this is an urban, middle class part of Delhi, and lots, I mean, lots of foreigners live here.

The sequence of events I have described previously sound most plausible.

He thought I am a Congress MLA's son, how dare they snigger at my looks. And must've told the cops I will teach you a lesson too.

Free Karma and TrueSpirit1 like this.