Defexpo India 2016

Pandora

Country flag
Only for few hours on Monday.

Here morning from Goa.

Season is off, but lot of Russian here.

Me too having working holidays and enjoying it.
Saya ji take lot of pics as much you can,and don't forget to take pics of specs sheet .

Ask lot of question about Arjun MK 2 and MICWS.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Hai ... yes. I will be there in 31st

you too coming ..lets have a meet
I am at Goa right now. Expect some pics.
Sirs please PLEASE take as many pictures as possible and ask as many questions as possible. If possible ask TATA about their LAMV (orders? trails?) and DRDO about the MCIWS (status?) and Excalibur (status? production rate? who is using them? IA?) and the Arjun Mk.2 (orders? total expected orders? status? production rate?).

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Sirs please PLEASE take as many pictures as possible and ask as many questions as possible. If possible ask TATA about their LAMV (orders? trails?) and DRDO about the MCIWS (status?) and Excalibur (status? production rate? who is using them? IA?) and the Arjun Mk.2 (orders? total expected orders? status? production rate?).
I sure I will try my best to get some good pictures and will try to ask questions

@sayareakd sir is also attending the EXPO, I request saya sir to shoot the questions .!!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Supposed to be state secret....... official secrets act. Since i am lawyer dont want to on wrong side of law.........lol.

Spindrift

Supposed to be state secret....... official secrets act. Since i am lawyer dont want to on wrong side of law.........lol.
Well the official secrets act is not there to protect state secrets, but it is there to protect the officials :biggrin2:

AnantS

Country flag
@sayareakd @SajeevJino Kindly try to get answer following few questions in the defexpo:

• Kindly ask about whether there has been push by Mr Parrikar to increase Arjun Mk 2 Numbers in the Army? Is Arjun also getting the same kind of push from Mr Parrikar, as LCA got?

• What is the status of MCIWS? As there are rumors that army has not cancelled the trials of new service rifles. And foreign companies are still in the fray.

• What is the fate of Tata Kestrel. Will it meet the same fate as Abhay, as Army seems ot have floated another FICV competition and Tata have formed alliance with Bharat Forge, General Dynamics?

• What is the status of DRDO ATAGS? When we will hear about the first trials of the same?

• What is the status of Bharat Forge's Ultra Light Howitzer? Also any news about status of towed artillery requirement? Have competitive trials begun for the same? Any feedback received for Tata, Bharat Forge & Ashok Leyland Towed artillery?

• I dont know if any GTRE people would be present there. But if they are it would be great if we once for all get to know whether Kaveri is completely and whether GTRE have got go ahead for new 90KN Jet engine? And if GTRE has any plans to acquire IL 76 based Engine Test bed?

abingdonboy

Country flag
  • What is the fate of Tata Kestrel. Will it meet the same fate as Abhay, as Army seems ot have floated another FICV competition and Tata have formed alliance with Bharat Forge, General Dynamics?
The Kestral is an entirely seperate project completly de-linked from the FICV. TATA's defence CEO said recently that the Kestral will be in production in 2 years and is going to Summer trails with the Army this year. The Kestral will serve in the amphibious role and where the IA needs a wheeled IFV. There is a reason why the FICV project now ia 100% tracked but before bidders had been asked to have 2 products (tracked and wheeled)- the Kestral has taken care of the wheeled segment already.

+ Addtionally @SajeevJino @sayareakd could you ask Mahindra/BAE about the status of the M777, when will the first M777s be rolling of Indian production lines?

- Airbus- ask them the status of the EC-725 bid for the ICG, the EC-725 apparently won the ICG's medium Helo competition recently. And what is the status of the A330 MRTT sale to India?

Superdefender

Is DPP going online tomorrow at the event? I just saw pic of DRDO unmanned ground attack vehicle. Awesome!!

aditya g

Country flag
.... The Kestral will serve in the amphibious role and where the IA needs a wheeled IFV. There is a reason why the FICV project now ia 100% tracked but before bidders had been asked to have 2 products (tracked and wheeled)- the Kestral has taken care of the wheeled segment already....
I have never quite understood this. Indian Army has hardly operated wheeled APC/IFVs. Even today there is no hearburn over lack of wheeled units.

The few I can think of have served in very limited numbers and niche roles:

1. BRDM: ATGM and recce (i think).

2. Skot APC

Every other army seems to operate at least a few. I think the closest success a wheeled APC got in the army is in the form of Casspir and its OFB cousins.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I have never quite understood this. Indian Army has hardly operated wheeled APC/IFVs. Even today there is no hearburn over lack of wheeled units.

The few I can think of have served in very limited numbers and niche roles:

1. BRDM: ATGM and recce (i think).

2. Skot APC

Every other army seems to operate at least a few. I think the closest success a wheeled APC got in the army is in the form of Casspir and its OFB cousins.
The Kestral is going to be very useful for amphibious ops and the North/NE. The tracked FICV will be more suited for the Western sector.

Look around the world, all modern armies have a mix of wheeled and tracked IFVs, the IA is lagging behind badly in this regard.

+ I heard something rather interesting regarding the Kestral; apparently the IA had looked very hard at the US army's "Stryker Brigade combat team: concept (remember all that news of India getting the Stryker 6-7 years back?) and perhaps this is a concept the IA are looking to apply with the Kestral. Note, TATA have already stated there are over a dozen configurations for the Kestral (mortar carrier, C&C, ambulance, recovery vehicle etc etc). Again, the main use for this concept would be in the North and NE.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles