budget, with the Rs 134,412 crore
revenue expenditure far outstripping
the capital one for new weapons,
sensors and platforms at Rs 89,588
crore.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Some of the key words pointed here, Infrastructure is a very important one all along the LAC as well as LOC so does key infrastructures along sea shores, I hope they proceed with full forces towards National Defense Product and Up-gradation ..

More importantly make things which will raise Patriotism and moral of the troopers ..

budget, pointing to "operational gaps"
in manpower, machines and
infrastructure,

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I am fine with increasing defence budget, but it should not be on a status-quo basis, with high imports, etc. A solid defence manufacturing base needs to be established and money needs to be pumped into that manufacturing base, which will lead to jobs and employment generation in India.

Kunal's suggestions on Infrastructure improvement are also welcome in the context of the budget increase.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
News reports are now indicating that Arun Jaitely might be given charge of both Defence and Finance ministries, i'd say this is an unorthodox move to try and bring more synergy between the treasury and the needs of the forces as chanakya says" The king who does not have the complete faith and respect of his commander in chief might fail in most of his battles but the king who does not have the faith and respect of his treasurers is destined to fail at every turn".
That said i think Gen VK Singh will be the Mos Defence and actually run defence while Mr Jaitely will help build more of a positive relations between defence and finance.Of Course NAMO'S big stick on both of them should help as well:p

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
More imp is to fast track pending deals and streamline procurement process
Exactly what i think this combination of ministeries is designed to do, for the last 10 yrs the principal secretaries of the finance and defence ministeries did not see eye to eye or coordinate becaue they reported to differnet bosses with differing agendas, no however all 8 of them will report to a common boss with one agenda and one KRA, this should make things much faster.
I think putting the fianancial and territorial security in the hands of one man is a political masterstroke thast will force mandarins on both sides to cooperate and find synergies in their working, for example now no finance ministry babu can sit on a deefnce ministry file because his boss is no longer concerned only with finance, Shri Arun Jaitley can now summon such babus and take them to task while making sure that the funds already with defence are utilized judiciously. I think this has the potential to revolutionaize defence procurement and funding if Shri Jaitley can control both sides well.

vram

Country flag
Considering the geo political situation around the country and increased modernization needs of the armed forces, 3.0 % of GDP should be allocated for the defense forces...
I am of the firm belief that this is the right time to train our para military and police forces to the level of European or Americn standard. Building fancy missiles and tanks can come later...the biggest threat that India faces today is irregular and lateral warfare in the form of terrorism and economic damage. We should gear up for this..

bose

Country flag
I am of the firm belief that this is the right time to train our para military and police forces to the level of European or Americn standard. Building fancy missiles and tanks can come later...
Rightly so... for that too GOI have to allocate and arrange finances... present allocation of ~ 2.25 % GDP is in adequate...

Country needs Missiles and Tanks too... absolute essential and those can not wait...

the biggest threat that India faces today is irregular and lateral warfare in the form of terrorism and economic damage. We should gear up for this..
We need better intelligence sharing among the security agencies and with proper training and co ordination those can be taken care off...

Most of the problems are the creation of the politicians...

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Navy and AF needs machines asap.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles