Defence ministry goes global in search for Kaveri partner

opesys

Japan. They need an engine for their 5th gen plane and we need the same for amca. Bilateral ties have never been better. Time to upgrade to strategic ties.
trackwhack ↑
excellent and superb points ! ..... if i may add; might try considering south korea as well .....but your idea for japan is probably it ! ...plus upgrade ties with Japan as you suggested ...! YES !!
Bad idea. I don't doubt their potential but even they are not well experienced either in building 4.5/5 gen fighter jet engines... India has already wasted enough time and can't afford to continue doing it. IMO better to partner with someone how has already built successful engines. Companies Honeywell and Eurojet could be a good option. India has hard cash and also can provide low manufacturing (and RnD to some extent) costs.This is something that companies like Honeywell, Eurojet can also benefit from.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Honeywell and Eurojet could be a good option. India has hard cash and also can provide low manufacturing (and RnD to some extent) costs.This is something that companies like Honeywell, Eurojet can also benefit from.
that same reasoning already applied to snecma, namely successful engine developer, needs cash , can provide manufacturing knowhow and some TOT - still it didnt work , and it should be worse with usa companies who are under stronger constraints not to transfer tech ......i dont think your idea offers any paradigm improvement over the stuck situation with snecma

genine joint investigation arrangement with another strong RnD nation like japan or korea who are seriously seeking to develop their own is the best way out ....plus buy engines from whomever to keep us going meantime

sukhish

What the hell GTRE has been doing all along. I guess just laying EGGS.

opesys

that same reasoning already applied to snecma, namely successful engine developer, needs cash , can provide manufacturing knowhow and some TOT - still it didnt work , and it should be worse with usa companies who are under stronger constraints not to transfer tech ......i dont think your idea offers any paradigm improvement over the stuck situation with snecma

genine joint investigation arrangement with another strong RnD nation like japan or korea who are seriously seeking to develop their own is the best way out ....plus buy engines from whomever to keep us going meantime
>>>>that same reasoning already applied to snecma....
First of all, Snecma is a French company and on top of it too much importance was given to it by not considering other companies. If this tender was given out at the beginning itself then most probably we would not have been in this situation. There is no guarantee that if you start an RnD now with Japan or Korea it is going to be successful. It's too big a risk with Kaveri being planned to be used in AMCA, Tejas MK-XX, UAV/UCAVs....we don't have the luxury of time. Play the cards well pull in Eurojet or Honeywell or Russian companies and get the work done as quickly as possible.

Reactions: uss

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That kills India's bargaining chip for Rafale. With the budget cuts no one knows what is going to be approved.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
That kills India's bargaining chip for Rafale. With the budget cuts no one knows what is going to be approved.
A $2billiom cut will not affect the deal. $2bil is for entire armed forces not air force.

trackwhack

Bad idea. I don't doubt their potential but even they are not well experienced either in building 4.5/5 gen fighter jet engines... India has already wasted enough time and can't afford to continue doing it. IMO better to partner with someone how has already built successful engines. Companies Honeywell and Eurojet could be a good option. India has hard cash and also can provide low manufacturing (and RnD to some extent) costs.This is something that companies like Honeywell, Eurojet can also benefit from.
I think you underestimate Japans capabilities. A sovereign partner is better than a corporate one. Think about the impact on regional as well as global geopolitics when news hits of our ties upgraded to strategic with a deal like this. Imagine what the yanks will feel like. Imagine what PRC will feel like.

GromHellscream

Uncle Sam doesn't care at all while China might feel very happy in the end.
A collaboration like this has a huge possibility to sink, all of them, in a single boat.

opesys

I think you underestimate Japans capabilities. A sovereign partner is better than a corporate one. Think about the impact on regional as well as global geopolitics when news hits of our ties upgraded to strategic with a deal like this. Imagine what the yanks will feel like. Imagine what PRC will feel like.
No, I don't underestimate them. I mean there are many other projects like AMCA, Stealth frigates, UCAVs etc where partnership with Japan will make sense but not for Kaveri. Kaveri needs an immediate solution. With Japan it is going to be a fresh start, study->implement->make mistakes->learn->find solutions...This will cause too much delay again. Better to go with someone who have already made a jet engine successfully that way the learning curve will be faster.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
A $2billiom cut will not affect the deal. $2bil is for entire armed forces not air force.
I hope so... fighter and sub replacements should be top of the list.

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
Snmeca went arms length for SBC Tech.

cir

-------------------------------------- Flame bait ------------------------------------------

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
first get your engine into production then we will take you seriously.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Thank You Sir,
I think you're being very generous to Poor Indians .!

CHINA STRONG :china:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No need to give troll so much of your time..

Sam2012

Tihar Jail
Banned
With defence budget cut & now snecma out of Kaveri K-10 , is MMRCA still alive?

Is govt gunning on Super 30MKI & LCA ? or F-35 or waiting for FGFA

is their possiblity of scrapping MMRCA giving economic suituation as reason?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles