Defective T-72 Tanks

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That more than half the numbers we operate, Perhaps these are kept in reserves ?

Times Now reporting that 900 T-72s are inoperable/not battle ready due to babus sitting on plans to replace worn out components and lack of upgrades.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Some comments on Times Now.

20 regiments worth of tanks out of total 60 armored regiments are inoperable. No overhaul, sprockets worn out, tracks shredded. "tin can waiting to be shot at"

That more than half the numbers we operate, Perhaps these are kept in reserves ?

Damian

You should consider that perhaps spare parts magazines for T-72's are nearly empty, and this is the reason of a problems with their readiness.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Don't worry... we will keep finding replacement parts someway or the other, even if it is only on paper, or upgrade options which costs probably the same as a new tank. Such are the ways of Indian defence establishment.

Arjun MkII would not be bought and more T-90S would be bought meanwhile to not let indigenization take place.

You should consider that perhaps spare parts magazines for T-72's are nearly empty, and this is the reason of a problems with their readiness.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its good to know about this, though i hope this does not invite new excuse for those corrupts to get more imported tanks..

20 regiments worth of tanks out of total 60 armored regiments are inoperable. No overhaul, sprockets worn out, tracks shredded. "tin can waiting to be shot at"

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
:D

Now such tech is already available...

NBS MANTIS for Anti Material (ground or air)

Super aEgis II for Anti Personnel

I dream of the day when India can develop these technologies... :drool:

Wonderful Idea, I support this..

We could have used PT-76 turrets over concrete bunkers and other installation near sensitive locations..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Wonderful Idea, I support this..

We could have used PT-76 turrets over concrete bunkers and other installation near sensitive locations..
The photo shows such an installation with a WW!! tank.

Of course, hull-down tank is different because turret is still mounted on tank.

Hull-down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Front view of a tank in turret-down and hull-down positions. A vehicle in a position with a background is more difficult to observe than one which is sky-lined.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod

Maharana

I posted this along with my last thread..

Anyways both the news are seriously demotivational. On one hand we talk about waging off a two front threat and then we miss out on such crucial deals like buying anti-tank missiles when our tank inventory is in dire need of overhauling.

So, we are not buying the anti-tank missile to blow the enemy's tank off and our mainstay tank is not capable now to blow off the enemy's tank. Hmmm,. that's a bit infuriating..

Last edited:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
They were two different topics, so I posted second one as a new thread.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Get rid of these junks, These tanks not only old, But need a expensive overhaul and then a expensive upgrade costing double of a new Modern tank..

Better get new Arjun MK-1, which is ready now and superior to both T-72M1 & T90S..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Reminds me of this infamous system :

The photo shows such an installation with a WW!! tank.

Of course, hull-down tank is different because turret is still mounted on tank.

Hull-down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Front view of a tank in turret-down and hull-down positions. A vehicle in a position with a background is more difficult to observe than one which is sky-lined.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Replace all T-72s with Arjun MKII if they succeed in user trials that are currently underway (?).

Develop Arjun MKIII for when T-90S would need replacement.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Army to be blamed for this, why dint they go for Arjuna when they knew that T72 would be obsolete in coming years. IA should go for Arjuna MK1 as the replacement for T72

Dejawolf

Arjun with current ammunition is incapable of penetrating front turret of the T-90A.

JBH22

First there was no ammunition then no tank soon there will be no army to fight.
It seems that the each army chief conspired with Babus to destroy army combat capabilities.

Surprisingly out of the 3 forces Navy is less scam and negative media reporting :)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles