Deep Purple, Other Rockers React to Jon Lord's Death

Oracle

The passing of original Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord on Monday has spurred an outpouring of comments and condolence messages from throughout the music world. First and foremost, Deep Purple has issued a statement mourning the loss of its founding member, who died at age 71 of a pulmonary embolism after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.

"We have lost a dear friend, a brother and a wonderful musician," reads the message from the influential hard-rock band. "His dignity and graciousness touched us all. His music was an inspiration and took us to places beyond our imagination"¦A truly great man.

Deep Purple bassist Roger Glover, meanwhile, posted his own homage to Lord on his official website. "A great sadness and sense of loss hangs over me," writes Glover. "Not only has the music world lost a fantastic musician but a gentleman of the finest order. He was a giant in my life, a great friend, a fellow traveler, a teacher, not only of music, but of life. I am devastated at his passing."

Many other famous rock acts have also issued statements paying tribute to Lord:

Whitesnake/ex-Deep Purple frontman David Coverdale: "It was an absolute joy & pleasure for me to know him & to work alongside him. He is missed already."

Former Rainbow/Deep Purple singer Joe Lynn Turner: "I am proud and humbled to have known him both personally and professionally "¦and blessed to share a special time with him. He was a true and gifted original"¦a Gentleman of the industry "¦and he shall be greatly missed!"

Black Sabbath bassist Geezer Butler: "One of the great musicians of my generation. [Sabbath guitarist] Tony Iommi recently worked with Jon, and said what a lovely bloke he was. I met him a few times, but never got to work with him. Blessings."

(NOTE LANGUAGE) Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich: "I'm beyond bummed, saddened and devastated by [the] news of the untimely passing of keyboardist Jon Lord"¦There was nobody that played like him. There was nobody that sounded like him. There was nobody that wrote like him. There was nobody that looked like him. There was nobody more articulate, gentlemanly, warm, or f**king cooler that ever played keyboards or got anywhere near a keyboard."

The Kinks: "RIP Jon Lord. A fantastic pianist and composer. With The Kinks, he played keyboards on 'You Really Got Me.' Legend."

Yes/Asia keyboardist Geoff Downes: "Jon Lord bridged the keyboard gap between classic and heavy rock. Probably the only keyboard player to achieve that feat! Total respect!"

Slash: "Sad day in Rock & Roll; Jon Lord has passed on. One of the biggest, baddest, heaviest sounds in Heavy Metal. One [of] a kind. RIP."

Ex-Guns N' Roses drummer Matt Sorum: "RIP Jon Lord of Deep Purple. The greatest rock keyboardist ever."

Styx guitarist James "JY" Young: "Jon Lord was the finest rock organist that ever walked the Earth, and a great inspiration to me. Jon's performance on Deep Purple's version of 'Hush' was and is the Greatest Rock Organ recording ever"¦Jon Lord will be missed, but his music shall live on forever"¦!!!"

Bryan Adams: "RIP Jon Lord — incredible organist for Deep Purple, one of my fave bands growing up."

The Who: "RIP Jon Lord."

Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles