Dedicated to the Brave Soldiers who died fighting for the Country

agentperry

when we listen to army men martyred in an ambush, we have feeling way milder than what i got going through this countless post by kunal sir. so many deaths. so many. im stunned how so much can happen.
these armymen are not any average man, they are something different from somewhere else

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Major Raman Dada (11 Sikh)

JALANDHAR, May 4 — Raman Dada, son of a prominent business family here, died a soldier's death on May 2, fighting insurgents of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) in Biswanath Chariali reserve forest area in central Assam's Sonitar district. He was cremated with full military honours.Major Ramon Dada was a student of DAV College, Jalandhar and passed his B.Sc. (Computer Science). He joined the Sikh Regiment and proved to be an officer par excellence. On the night of 1st of May '99, on receipt of specific information about the location of militants hideout in the thick jungles of the mountainous terrain, Maj. Raman Dada led a raid party. As the party approached the militants hideout, the militants opened fire but were shot dead by him. During the encounter, Raman Dada and a militant had a hand-to-hand combat. Raman Dada killed the militant but in the process, he was wounded critically. Though bleeding profusely, he refused to be evacuated and shot dead another fleeting militant before succumbing to his injuries. Thus in this act of outstanding and exception bravery far beyond the call of duty, Major Ramon Dada led from front and made the supreme sacrifice of his life in the highest traditions of he Regiment. As a result of this gallant action all the seven dreaded militants of National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) were killed and a large recovery of arms, ammuniation and incriminating documents was made. His untimely demise is a great loss to his family and India. His C.O. said of him " We salute you our Hero, your supreme sacrifice will not go waste. Your name shall be written in golden letters in the history of the Sikh Regiment." Major Raman Dada was awarded Kirti Chakra posthumously.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lt Sachin Kumar Khindria (12 J&K LI)

Lt. Sachin passed B.Sc. (Computer Science) from DAV College Jalandhar in first division. Lt. Sachin was commissioned in December '97 and was posted at the snow-clad merciless height of 20,000 feet above sea level - the Siachin Glacier, along with his regiment of the Jammu & Kashmir light Infantry.

On 31st October '98, the Pakistani army attacked the Amar Post of the Siachin Glacier. Lt. Sachin had faced and repelled many a attack before. But on this fate full day, Lt. Sachin was hit by an enemy shell and at the young age of 22 years, gave the supreme sacrifice of his life in the defense of his mother India. The only son of his parents, he joined the Indian Army and made his parents and his alma mater proud.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Captain Mandeep Singh (4 RR / 49 AD Regt)

Capt Mandeep Singh of 49 Armoured Division Regiment, who was killed in Kupwara area of Jammu and Kashmir on August 6 in counter insurgency when terrorists stormed an Army camp of 4 Rashtriya Rifles, was cremated with full military honours here today.Commissioned in 49 Armoured Division in 1991, Mandeep Singh, Known as "Harry" to his friends, was presently attached with 4, Rashtriya Rifles. He was body builder who had taken part in competitions of Mr Punjab and Mr Jalandhar during his college days. Gulgul, his daughter whose birthday falls next month, was too innocent to know what had hit her, but she was sure to miss her loving father on her birthday.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Major Kanwal Gulzar Singh (32 RR / 5/9GR)

The death of Major Kanwal Gulzar Singh of 32 Rasthriya Rifles in the Kupwara area of Jammu and Kashmir in an ambush by terrorists has plunged Jalandhar's Vivek Vihar colony in grief as his old parents wait in stony silence for the mortal remains of their elder son.

His father Major Kartar Singh (retired), surrounded by mourners at his residence, said he was proud that his son made the supreme sacrifice while defending the nation. Also son of a soldier, Major Kartar Singh said, ''I am proud of my upright son.''

Major Paramjit Singh, the martyr's younger brother, said Major Kanwal Gulzar Singh was on deputation with Rashtriya Rifles from his original Gorkha Battalion.

The 39-year-old martyr is survived by his wife Ajit Kaur, four-year-old daughter Dimple and 10-year-old son Akashdeep Singh.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lt Kanavdeep Singh (10 Sikh LI)

Lt Kanavdeep Singh of 10 Sikh Light Infantry who sacrificed his life during an encounter with militants at Guraj sector in Jammu and Kashmir on September 23, was cremated with full military honour here today.

Popularly known as Lt KD Singh amongst his colleagues, this Amritsar resident was recruited to 10 Sikh Regiment in January, 2001 after completing BSc from Khalsa College here. Capt Mukesh Chohan, who brought the body from Jammu, said the Army troops had been fighting with militants in Guraj sector for more than two days. On September 23, Lt Kanavdeep Singh fired a rocket at militants. The militants retaliated, in which he got killed.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Major Harminder Pal Singh (18 Grenadiers)

The village of Sudarkut Bala is located approximately 40 km north of Srinagar in Baramula district of Kashmir Valley. This village witnessed a daredevil action by soldiers of an elite Infantry Battalion on 13 April 99, in which three foreign mercenaries were eliminated.

At about 1 p.m. on 13 Apr 99, information was received by the battalion that some Pakistani Inter Service Intelligence mercenaries were hiding in the congested locality of Khan Mohalla, in Sudarkut Bala. Working swiftly on this tip off, Maj HP Singh with approximately 50 men under his command, reached the locality by 1.30 p.m. and established a cordon around it. Soon after, they commenced a search for the mercenaries.

When the search party was approximately 40 metres from the suspected houses, the mercenaries opened heavy automatic fire, and a fierce firefight ensued thereafter. In this fire, Maj HP Singh sustained bullet injuries on his left arm, while two other soldiers received splinter injuries from a rifle grenade fired by the mercenaries. The fire fight continued. The search party was now pinned down in the open, and fire intensified. Maj HP Singh and his troops held their ground. Realising the seriousness of the situation, Maj H P Singh, in spite of being injured, and with utter disregard to personal safety, boldly charged towards the side window of a room from where effective fire was being brought down on the search party, and swiftly eliminated two mercenaries at point blank range. The third mercenary however, retaliated immediately. In the process, Maj HP Singh sustained a gun shot wound on his temple. He engaged the mercenary to the last till he succumbed to his injuries.

The mercenary tried to flee, but was shot dead by the search party, and the firing died down. Maj HP Singh had fearlessly led his column from upfront, setting a personal example for his command to emulate. He made the supreme sacrifice of his life while fighting the Pak ISI sponsored proxy war and safe guarding the integrity of his motherland. Maj HP Singh is survived by his wife with a three month old son, and his old father who has retired from the Army. This brave son of the nation hailed from Mundi Kharar village in Ropar District of Punjab.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Capt Mridul Sharma

A state funeral was accorded to the martyr. Senior officers of the district administration and the Army, belonging to 514 AD Regiment, were present at the crematorium to salute the valiant officer.

Jawans of the Army and the Hamirpur police reversed their arms and fired shots in the air before the pyre was lite.

Mr Chander Kumar, Himachal Forest Minister, represented the state government, while the BJP team was led by Mr Prem Kumar Dhumal, former Chief Minister, to pay their respects to the martyr. The Deputy Commissioner, Mr Devesh Kumar, the ADM, Mr K.D. Lakhanpal, the SP, Mr P.L. Thakur, and Army officers from various regiments also paid tributes to Mridul.

Traders of Hamirpur town observed a complete bandh after they got the news of the arrival of the martyr's body from Jammu. Even tea stall owners and rehriwalas attended the cremation.

Earlier, the body was brought here from Rajouri in an Army vehicle.

The body was taken to the Hathli Khad crematorium through the main bazaar after the martyr's mother, Ms Sudesh Sharma, and other members of the family performed the pre-cremation rituals.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Capt Vinay Kumar Sachan (27 RR- MLI)

The body of his 26-year-old son, Vinay Kumar Sachan, was brought to the family's Dombivli home yesterday from Jammu and Kashmir.Vinay, a captain with the 27 Rashtriya Rifles, was killed during an encounter with militants in the Valley on March 24. "I did not object when he decided to join the army, but now I feel he shouldn't have done that," the shocked father said yesterday, struggling to hold back tears.

"Vinay never had any childhood ambition to get into the army, but after graduation he gave the CDS exams along with his friends and subsequently cleared all the tests to join the army," the soldier's father said.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Lt Dipendra Ghoshal (16 Jat)

Lt Dipendra Ghoshal had only recently left for duty to the 16th Jat Infantry Battalion in the first week of this month after spending a holiday with his family. The family was looking forward to celebrating his 25th birthday on September 15, albeit hundreds of miles away as Lt Dipendra Ghoshal was to be on duty in Jammu and Kashmir. But no one knew that the cruel hands of destiny had thought otherwise. Lt Dipendra Ghoshal was killed on the line of action in J&K during counter insurgency operations on September 14 a day before his birth day.

The body of Lt Dipendra Ghoshal arrived in the city by flight on Tuesday evening to be received with full military honours. The body which was immediately moved to the Command Hospital mortuary would be shifted to the Ghoshals' residence at Golf Links Apartments on Wednesday morning at 7 am. The cremation will take place with full military honours at the Bhaisakund cremation ground on Wednesday at 9:00 am.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Capt Umang Bhardwaj ( ASC/7 Jat)

Capt Umang Bhardwaj, who was commissioned as an officer about three years back, left home after a brief holiday on Saturday, only to be brought back in a coffin. No wonder that the family is devastated. He was just 25.Their son made the supreme sacrifice on the night of November 18 while leading an operation against Pakistan-backed militants who were trying to infiltrate the Rajouri-Poonch sector near the Line of Control in the trouble-torn Jammu and Kashmir.

According to an official of his 7 Jat Battalion, Capt Bhardwaj, after getting a tip-off that militants would try to sneak into the Valley around midnight of November 18, led an assault along with members of his team. In the bloody encounter, the hero liquidated six of the militants on the spot. The seventh and the final militant of the group tried to play hide and seek, but was eventually shot down in an encounter that lasted till the early hours of the next morning. During the operation, a volley of bullets hit the captain, wounding him in the chest and thigh. He succumbed on November 19. Three of his team members are still in the hospital.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Major Navneet Vats (4/3 GR / 32 RR)

Major Navneet Vats of Gorkha Rifles, who was killed in a militant attack in Srinagar yesterday, was cremated with full military honors this morning. As a mark of respect to their brave son, Mr Neeraj Vats and Mrs Vichitra Veena Vats did not break down, lest they demean his courage. "We are very proud that he died serving his motherland. We cannot let him down" said Mr Neeraj after he lit his elder son's pyre. The martyr's wife, Mrs Shivani, too, controlled her emotions but could not do so after the pyre had been lit.

Major Vats, who was on deputation to 32 Rashtriya Rifles, was posted in Srinagar. He was involved in an Army operation of evacuating a building in Srinagar, where two militants had holed up since Tuesday evening. He and a militant were killed and four soldiers injured yesterday when the security forces tried to storm the building. When the sharp-shooters from the Army tried to enter the area, they came under heavy fire from the militants, in which Major Vats and four soldiers were wounded. The Major, who received six bullets on his torso, later succumbed to his injuries.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
L Nk Mohammad Altaf Dar

Lance Naik Mohammad Altaf Dar who achieved martyrdom while fighting Lashkar-e-Taiba (LET) terrorists had chosen to join the Indian Army in 1997 at a time when most of his friends were crossing the Line of Control (LoC) from his native border district of Kupwara to Pakistan to get trained in conducting terrorist activities.

" My husband overcame pressure from his friends to become a militant and instead chose to join the Indian Army," his widow 24-year-old Meema Begum said in Jammu.

She said that she now lives with her parents and does not want to be a burden for them any more.
" I want the army to help me as I am part of the Army family," Meema said.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Capt Deepak Guleria (3 RR)

Captain Guleria was part of a team that rushed to the site of a blast to evacuate injured Army personnel. He dispatched the injured in vehicles to the helipad at Wlusan. as he was about to leave, another blast took place, critically wounding him. He was flown to the Base hospital in Srinagar but died on the way. He was awarded with the Sena Medal (Gallantry) posthumously. Earlier the officer had been decorated with the Special Service Medal for having served during Operation Rakshak in Jammu and Kashmir.

Ms Guleria was told by the officers that her husband had been injured in the leg. After much wait and persuasion, the news was broken to her at the hospital. "I blacked out. When I regained consciousness, I insisted on seeing his body which was in a coffin. He looked as charming as ever. I hugged him and touched his feet for the last time. it was all very hard for me but something kept pushing me. My husband always wanted me to be strong. My son was with me all the time but he was just a baby...". Next she knew she was on an half-hour air Force flight to Chandigarh with his body and her son in her arms. It must have taken courage of a formidable kind to be on the same flight with her husband's body without her people to share her grief with. "I don't know where did I get the strength from...It was such a long torturous day," she says, her voice quivering.

Mr M.L. Guleria, Deepak's father and a retired DIG (CRPF), came from Mandi the same evening. "I was hoping he would comfort me but he broke down like a child. I told him I would be Deepak for them. We left for Mandi soon after and travelled the whole night. Deepak was cremated the next morning with honours.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Capt Rohit Kaushal (12 RR)

The 27- year- old officer from 12 Rashtriya Rifles had attained martyrdom on November 11, while fighting Afghan militants in Gandoh area of Doda district in Jammu and Kashmir. The Government of India honoured him posthumously with gallantry award, Sena Medal, in recognition of his gallant action in making this supreme sacrifice.

Rohit had an intense desire to serve his motherland and left a course in engineering to join the Army, says his father, Mr. S.S. Kaushal. After Rohit was commissioned on June 9, 1990, he opted for the infantry as he felt he could serve the motherland better here. Capt. Rohit was to get married on November 27, 1995, and was expected to proceed on leave from November 15. But fate had other plans in store for him. On the fateful night of November 10 and 11, he raided the hide-outs of militants along with his contingent. During the encounter, he laid down his life fighting courageously .

In order to commemorate his martyrdom, his parents have constituted Shaheed Capt. Rohit Charitable Trust, which extends financial assistance to poor and deserving students by way of stipends and scholarships. A memorial has also been raised in his memory at Jalauli village, which has now been handed over to district administration. The state government has also named the Government High School, Jalauli, after the name of the martyr and the school has been rechristened Shaheed Rohit Kaushal Government High School, Jalauli. A road in Sector 12 here has also been named after him.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Captain Anirban Bandyopadhyay (1/4 GR)

N.C. Behera receives his son's medal.
In March 2002, Captain Anirban Bandyopadhyay, 24, was killed in Kupwara, Jammu and Kashmir, a bullet fired by a mujahideen piercing his heart while he was trying to save his comrades."We are proud that our son died with his boots on, like a true soldier," said Rabindranath Bandyopadhyay, after receiving the posthumous award for his son at the army investiture ceremony at Fort William.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Captain Vinayak Gore (Op Rakshak)

Mumbai, May 27: DEATH snatched away her only son and in return gave her an obsession. In the seven years since Captain Vinayak Gore, a resident of Vile Parle (E), lay down his life in Kashmir, his mother Anuradha Gore has drawn up a battleplan of her own.

Every vacation, she holds camps aimed at inspiring teenagers to join the armed forces.

''Our internal and national security is important. But who will do it? If students, our next generation, do not want to join this profession, then who will protect us? Through my personality development classes, we work on improving their overall development. Apart from teaching vocational subjects, classes are also held on subjects like Maths and Physics. Patriotic feeling is also inspired among the children by holding plays, skits and organising talks by ex-servicemen about their life in the military. Information is given about how to join the armed forces,'' said Gore.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Havildar Bachura S. Devaiah - Op Rakshak

havaldar from Kodagu become a martyr in the fight against militants. A youth from Kodagu, Bachura S. Devaiah 34 years, fell prey to the bullets of militants at Nowshera in Southern Kashmir,The body of the martyr may arrive at his native village Kemalekadu on the night of 21.Father, mother, two brothers and three sisters survive the martyr.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Captain Omkarnath Rao (22 MLI) - Op Rakshak

In life Captain Omkar Nath Rao had made his battalion proud by volunteering to the most difficult assignments, in death too he kept the prestige of hisu nit. Captain Rao was killed in a fierce encounter with a group of militants and Pak regulars at the Line of Control in Uri on Sunday. However, before laying his life, he killed a militant and a Pak armyman. A civilian porter was also killed when the patrol led by Captain Rao came under fire near Dardkote forward post.

Captain Rao had joined the unit in Uri sector on March 4 after serving for six months in Siachen glacer. "Officers get a peace posting after serving at the Siachen but this young captain preferred to join his parent unit,'' said Brigadier R K Sharma, remembering Rao as a brave young officer.

Rest In Peace..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Captain Jitesh Bhutani (31 CIU)

Twenty-eight-year-old Captain Jitesh Bhutani of the Counter Intelligence Unit (CIU) attained martyrdom during an anti-insurgency operation on November 16 at Shupian near Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir . His body was cremated with full military honours here at Bhainsakund on Monday.

Captain Jitesh was 15th son of the city since Kargil conflict to make the supreme sacrifice while defending the borders. Jitesh's wife Lina, who had dreamt of coming to her sasural at Alinganj with the husband during next holidays, had the misfortune of escorting his body from Srinagar to Lucknow .

The martyr's body was brought to the state capital on Sunday evening and was kept at the Command Hospital in the night. In the morning amidst sloganeering of Bharat Mata Ki Jai and Capt Jitesh Amar Rahen, the body was consigned to flames. With numb eyes, Jitesh's uncle lit the pyre. Soldiers of the Kumaun Regiment sounded the last post and fired in the air to pay their homage.

Rest In Peace..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles