Decoding our red-beacon culture

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Evening walkers on the lovely promenade along Carter Road in Bandra, Mumbai, are often treated to an ugly sight, as a noisy cavalcade carries one of the surliest men in Maharashtra politics back to his house. The flashing lights, screaming sirens, gun-toting policemen and private thugs are all part of a grotesque display of power that is common in many parts of India. In the mornings, the same cavalcade also makes its way to the sea bridge linking Bandra and Worli, as the man goes to work. There are queues of cars at the toll booth on most mornings, but the convoy could not be bothered by the minor problem of ordinary people waiting for their turn. It weaves its way through the gaps in the queues, musclemen jump off, hands are waved, cars are halted—and the man cuts through straight to the head of the queue his cronies have chosen for the day. Then the SUV is off, followed by those flashing lights, screaming sirens, gun-toting policemen and private thugs.

Flashpoint: The behaviour of the elite tells us a lot about our public culture.
Such displays of power are common in the private sector as well, but on a much more moderate scale and very rarely in public places. One has heard stories of the legendary J.R.D. Tata patiently standing in queue for a lift at Bombay House, the Tata headquarters in Mumbai. He was an exception. Most office towers have special lifts for special people. In buildings that do not have such reserved lifts, one can almost feel the tension in the air as a lift is hurriedly commissioned on the spot to carry the boss to his lair within moments of his car pulling in outside the building lobby. He is considered too important to wait, unlike the clerks and cubicle slaves who are shooed away.
Such behaviour tells us a lot about the public culture of a country. In a clever study published in 2007, two economists, Raymond Fisman and Edward Miguel, went through public records of parking tickets given in Manhattan to diplomats from 146 countries in the UN. Till 2002, the New York police did not enforce rules of traffic violations by diplomats, so there was an invitation to park at will. Violating the law did not carry any costs. Yet, diplomats from countries such as Japan, Sweden and Canada took care to drive around the block to find an open parking slot. Diplomats from countries such as Kuwait, Egypt and Angola parked at will.

Why did these two groups of diplomats respond in such different ways to the same incentive to break rules? Fisman and Miguel said social norms were the cause. They found a strong correlation between parking behaviour and the level of corruption in the home countries of the diplomats concerned. Essentially, parking behaviour is a reflection of the social norms prevalent in a country. It explains why a Kuwaiti diplomat has few qualms about breaking the law while a Norwegian diplomat would rarely do so.

The interesting thing about the study was that Indian diplomats were middling violators in terms of parking tickets per diplomat—82 out of a total 146 countries. European diplomats from Italy, Spain, Portugal and France were worse. Here, the broad correlation between corruption indices and parking behaviour breaks down.

Of course, enforcement of the law continues to matter. Parking violations by diplomats fell sharply after New York mayor Michael Bloomberg decided in 2002 to enforce the rules. However, the overall pattern persisted, as most of the violations continued to come from countries that have more corruption.

The Fisman-Miguel study—that was later part of a book, Economic Gangsters: Corruption, Violence And the Poverty of Nations—tracked the behaviour of the elite. But the ability to follow rules matters across all parts of society. It is an important ingredient of national success. Writing in The Huffington Post, writer O'Brien Browne asked whether the ongoing economic crisis in Europe can be explained by culture.

"In some cultures, people stand patiently at a red traffic light, waiting for it to turn green—even if there are no cars to be seen. Once the light changes, they cross the street, secure in the feeling that no car will hit them. These Red Light cultures believe in rules and regulations. Other cultures believe that when crossing the street it is logical to simply look both ways. If no cars are coming, it is safe to cross—the light is always green in their thinking. They don't trust the 'system'; they trust themselves."

It is not hard to see that Germany has a Red Light culture while Greece has a Green Light culture. Each is puzzled by the other. In an earlier instalment of this column, The Impartial Spectator had used the insights of game theory to ask why Indians find it easier to follow social norms rather than rules created by governments ("Why we prefer social convention to rigid rules", 5 May).

Coming back to the issue of parking violations, there is a story to be shared from London as well. The central parts of the city have a congestion charge that car owners have to pay. The £10 (around Rs. 850) a day congestion charge was introduced to dissuade people from bringing their cars into gridlocked streets. The road tax came into focus recently when the city government sent a bill to US president Barack Obama after his convoy went through central London.

There has been a bit of a debate about whether government cars should be made to pay the congestion charge under international treaties. The Indian Express reported in May that the Indian high commission in London owes £2.4 million. Data from British news reports shows that India is one of the top defaulters, while the New York study shows our diplomats to be relatively middling violators of parking rules.

One of the secondary results from the Fisman-Miguel study was that the intensity of parking violations was negatively correlated with how well a particular country got on with the US. It would be tempting to argue that the different behaviour in New York and London points to changing foreign policy—India is now closer to the US than it is to the UK. But that hypothesis gets shot to pieces because the top violator in London is the US embassy. Also, the New York data is per diplomat while the London data is for the embassy as a whole.

The behaviour of our elite in public spaces is an indictment. So I was not surprised when I recently read that our parliamentarians are now demanding the same privileges on the Delhi Metro that they get when flying Air India—Metro staff to receive them at stations, help them board trains and, who knows, perhaps lift their bags for them. It is the same culture of the red beacon that assumes ministers should not wait at toll booths, government cars need not follow parking rules, and fines are for ordinary wimps.
Decoding our red-beacon culture - Columns - livemint.com

panduranghari

Just yesterday I returned from a 3 week vacation in India. I was seeing Mumbai after 6 years. And believe me it is a lot shittier than what it was 6 years ago. The thing I noticed was the absence of fear of the law for the common man. Why should he fear? The politicians do not fear anything either, the common man can rush to his local don and he will make sure the long arm of law never reaches around the neck. 3/4 of the road users weave in and out of traffic like they are racing in Monaco. The golden quadrilateral project has received a lot of publicity, but the roads are just 2 lanes on either side and full of two wheelers....why did the planners not think this through and make the roads 4 lanes on either side? Why are the road dividers not 5 feet tall so that pedestrians do not cross the roads while running between the moving cars? Why is illegal road side parking acceptable? Why are the footpaths in such a state of disrepair and occupied than people have to walk on the roads? Why can passengers not pre pay the tolls?

Rant rant rant. I do seriously wonder HOW building multi storey apartments in light of shortages of water, electricity and people glowing in the perpetually rising price of real estate can be considered as progress?

Apologies for Digressing.

We have the politicians we deserve. Even the staff at the high commission of India in London behave high handedly. We are a culturally rude and we lack respect for each other.

We need to move away from Democracy to put the ills right. That is perhaps the only way.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
^^ hota hai desh aakar aksar aisa hota hai!!

I saw the glimpse of high handedness as soon as I landed in Delhi. There was a semi-literate couple who did not fill in the customs form and were unnecessarily harassed by the immigration desk. The forms are in English and obviously that creates problem for so many common people. Every time the couple somehow filled and got to the immigration desk, the officials shooed them away saying fill the form. This killed so much time of the people waiting in queue while the immigration officers could have easily helped them fill the form much quickly. Babudom is here to stay!!

Although I am not sure anything else would be better than democracy.

panduranghari

^^ hota hai desh aakar aksar aisa hota hai!!

I saw the glimpse of high handedness as soon as I landed in Delhi. There was a semi-literate couple who did not fill in the customs form and were unnecessarily harassed by the immigration desk. The forms are in English and obviously that creates problem for so many common people. Every time the couple somehow filled and got to the immigration desk, the officials shooed them away saying fill the form. This killed so much time of the people waiting in queue while the immigration officers could have easily helped them fill the form much quickly. Babudom is here to stay!!

Although I am not sure anything else would be better than democracy.
True. Why should the signs be in English? Why can they not be in the national language as well?

Democracy as we live in India is not democracy. Its closer to ochlocracy.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
True. Why should the signs be in English? Why can they not be in the national language as well?

Democracy as we live in India is not democracy. Its closer to ochlocracy.
Right now I am enjoying the poster culture of Indian elections in UP.

There are many things which are painful but that is life!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles