Decoding our red-beacon culture

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Sakal Gharelu Ustad, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Decoding our red-beacon culture - Columns - livemint.com

panduranghari likes this.
  3. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

Just yesterday I returned from a 3 week vacation in India. I was seeing Mumbai after 6 years. And believe me it is a lot shittier than what it was 6 years ago. The thing I noticed was the absence of fear of the law for the common man. Why should he fear? The politicians do not fear anything either, the common man can rush to his local don and he will make sure the long arm of law never reaches around the neck. 3/4 of the road users weave in and out of traffic like they are racing in Monaco. The golden quadrilateral project has received a lot of publicity, but the roads are just 2 lanes on either side and full of two wheelers....why did the planners not think this through and make the roads 4 lanes on either side? Why are the road dividers not 5 feet tall so that pedestrians do not cross the roads while running between the moving cars? Why is illegal road side parking acceptable? Why are the footpaths in such a state of disrepair and occupied than people have to walk on the roads? Why can passengers not pre pay the tolls?

Rant rant rant. I do seriously wonder HOW building multi storey apartments in light of shortages of water, electricity and people glowing in the perpetually rising price of real estate can be considered as progress?

Apologies for Digressing.

We have the politicians we deserve. Even the staff at the high commission of India in London behave high handedly. We are a culturally rude and we lack respect for each other.

We need to move away from Democracy to put the ills right. That is perhaps the only way.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad likes this.
  4. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

^^ hota hai desh aakar aksar aisa hota hai!!

I saw the glimpse of high handedness as soon as I landed in Delhi. There was a semi-literate couple who did not fill in the customs form and were unnecessarily harassed by the immigration desk. The forms are in English and obviously that creates problem for so many common people. Every time the couple somehow filled and got to the immigration desk, the officials shooed them away saying fill the form. This killed so much time of the people waiting in queue while the immigration officers could have easily helped them fill the form much quickly. Babudom is here to stay!!

Although I am not sure anything else would be better than democracy.

5. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

True. Why should the signs be in English? Why can they not be in the national language as well?

Democracy as we live in India is not democracy. Its closer to ochlocracy.

6. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Right now I am enjoying the poster culture of Indian elections in UP.

There are many things which are painful but that is life!!