Deadly blast at Moscow's Domodedovo airport : 31 Killed

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Up to 31 people have reportedly been killed in an explosion at Moscow's Domodedovo airport according to the Russian Health Ministry. Some 130 more are said to have been injured.
There is smoke in the terminal building and people are being evacuated. Aiport workers destroyed a brick wall near the luggage claim area to let the passengers leave the area of the explosion.
An initial probe indicates the blast was a terrorist attack caused by a suicide bomber. Moscow police have been put on alert over possible terror attacks in the capital. Police are also on alert at Vnukovo airport and Sheremetyevo international airport in Moscow, and in the metro system.
International flights are being redirected to other Moscow area airports. Over 20 emergency teams are already on the spot, about 170 places are reserved in the nearby hospitals for the injured. The first groups of injured passengers have already been taken to the nearby hospitals.
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has been informed about the explosion, his press-secretary said.
According to reports the explosion happened at 4:30pm in the luggage claim area in the international arrivals wing of the airport. The investigators say the bomb may have arrived in one of the bags.

http://rt.com/news/deadly-blast-moscows-domodedovo/

pmaitra

Domodedovo blast: Explosion rocks Moscow's main airport

Domodedovo blast: Explosion rocks Moscow's main airport

Moscow's Domodedovo airport - the busiest in the Russian capital - has been rocked by an explosion that has reportedly killed at least 23 people.

More than 100 more are thought to have been injured in the blast, which reports suggest may have been the work of a suicide bomber.

Russia's chief investigator said the explosion was the work of terrorists.

The airport is 40km (25 miles) south-east of the city centre, and is popular with foreign workers and tourists.

Emergency services are on the scene and tending to the wounded.

Early local reports suggested the blast hit the baggage reclaim area of the international arrivals hall.

A RIA Novosti news agency correspondent at the scene reported that a lot of smoke could be seen in the area, and there was a smell of burning.

The UK's Foreign Office said it was checking if any Britons were involved.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12268662

SHASH2K2

RIP to those who lost their life and Unrest in hell to those who are responsible for this .

Oracle

R.I.P all the innocents who have lost their lives. My prayers are with their relatives in these trying times.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I thought the chechen thing was more or less over as their entire leadership was eliminated and their is relative quiet in chechnya. this assuming that this is a chechen op.

pmaitra

Russia won the war, brought relative stability, propped up the Kadyrov regime. This regime hasn't stopped avenging earlier violent acts. Blood feuds are common in North Caucasus. Those now at the receiving end of the pro-Kremlin Kadyrov clan will continue to try to hit back. We need to wait for more information in this case.

DeletedUser

Moscow airport explosion

An explosion has ripped through Moscow's Domodedovo airport - the busiest in the Russian capital, reportedly killing more than 30 people. More than 100 more are thought to have been injured in the blast, which reports suggest may have been the work of a suicide bomber.

1715: First reaction from US government: President Barack Obama condemns "outrageous act of terrorism", according to the Associated Press.
1709: More detail on where the explosion happened, airport spokeswoman Yelena Galanova telling Interfax: "The explosion occurred in the international arrivals hall in a public area, to which people who are not passengers have free access."
1703: British businessman Ben tells the BBC: "I was in the queue at passport control when I heard a big explosion. I wasn't sure if it was external work, or an explosion inside the building. It shook the ceiling, there was dust coming down as smoke was coming from inside the baggage hall. The dust was everywhere - you would think it's time to clean your glasses even if you don't wear glasses."
Moscow blast: Eyewitness accounts
1655: Aviation expert Chris Yates backs the theory that suicide attacker was responsible for the attack, telling the BBC: "Quite an amount of shrapnel has been found in the arrivals hall - ball bearings and other things that could be packed into a suicide belt. We could be talking about a walk-in suicide attacker walking in and blowing themselves up at that critical moment."
1652: BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera says: Militant groups fighting in the Caucasus know how important the perception that the president and prime minister provide a secure society is. To undermine that is a key aspect of their aims.
1647: Maria Klimenko from Moscow e-mails: Everybody is in shock. It is now the end of the working day and people are afraid to go home. They are all afraid of the possibility of an explosion on the metro. Very nervous conditions. Mass media give very limited and isolated information. Have Your Say
1645: The explosion is believed to have happened in the baggage collection area, and aviation expert Philip Baum says such an incident was predictable, adding: "We spend so much time looking at passenger security checks before they get on board, that unfortunately some other areas are exposed."
1637: Both officials and analysts are saying the explosion is likely to have been a bomb attack. Paul Rogers from the UK's Bradford University tells Reuters: "As to the likely suspects, one would have to say Caucasus, mostly likely Chechen-connected."
1634: Airport spokeswoman says 35 people have now died as a result of the explosion.
1632: German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle sends his deepest sympathies to to the victims, adding: "I condemn this dreadful and bloody attack in the strongest possible terms. Nothing can justify this barbaric act."
1628: British traveller Mark Green arrived at the airport on a flight from London shortly before the incident and described hearing an "almighty explosion" as he left the arrivals area.
'There was an almighty explosion'
1627: Ria news agency reports security services were warned in advance about a possible terrorist act: "Personnel were searching for three suspects but they managed to get on to the territory of the airport unhindered, watch the explosion carried out by their accomplice and leave the airport."
1610: More detail coming through about the condition of survivors: Ria news agency reports 51 people hospitalised, of whom 35 are in a serious condition.
1607: The BBC's Yuri Maloveryan at Domodedovo says: Several dozen ambulances there, entrances to arrivals hall and hall at opposite end of airport closed, but entrances in the middle of the airport are open, all passengers being checked with metal detectors.
1602: Nato chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen offers "solidarity" to Russia, reports AFP news agency.
1559: President Dmitry Medvedev delays his departure to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
1554:Kostik e-mails BBC Russian : I am not surprised it happens. Police are more concerned about attacking opposition demonstrations in Moscow than security of its people.
1552: President Dmitry Medvedev tells officials in a televised briefing: "From the preliminary information we have, it was a terror attack."
1535:Kirill from Moscow e-mails: I am deeply shocked by this incident. There were no such occurrences before. We had some in the underground, but explosions in the airports is something extraordinary. I fly out of Moscow several times a year, so do my relatives and friends. It is horrible to imagine that one of us could be there. And of course my thoughts now are with those who suffered these attacks. Have Your Say
1532: Vnukovo airport spokeswoman tells Interfax the airport is receiving flights diverted from Domodedovo.
1528:The BBC's Steve Rosenberg in Moscow says: Russia's chief investigator has now classified the blast as a terrorist attack. Dozens of ambulances have been dispatched to the scene and following the blast, police have stepped up security across the Russian capital, particularly at other Moscow airports.
1522: BBC Russian is also reporting the day's dramatic events on a live text page in Russian.
1521: British Airways says in a statement: "We are aware of the incident at Moscow's Domodedovo airport and are speaking to our teams at the airport to establish further information."
1515: Russian President Dmitry Medvedev says those responsible for the explosion will be tracked down and punished, according to comments reported by Reuters news agency.
1510: Russian news agency Interfax reports the explosion was caused by a bomb with 7kg of TNT. Police searching for three male suspects.
1508: Eyewitness Mark Green, who had just arrived in Moscow when the explosion happened, tells the BBC: "We were walking out through the exit of the arrivals hall towards the car, and there was this almighty explosion, a huge bang, we didn't know it was an explosion at the time, and my colleague and I looked at each other and said, Christ that sounds like a car bomb or something, because the noise was, literally, it shook you."
1503: Moscow police are on high alert and are looking for suspicious items on the transport system, 90 minutes after the airport explosion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/9372022.stm

chex3009

Country flag
R.I.P all to innocent souls who lost their lives in this cowardly attack.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Won't these jihadists give it a rest!? Blowing up places all over the world and killing people. Then claiming themselves to be the victims :mad2:. May the souls of the deceased find eternal peace.

I know one thing for sure: Russia is not MMS & Co. in matters of terrorism. Putin won't take this kindly and let the jihadists be prepared for a bloodbath courtesy Spetsnaz.:shoot:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I thought the chechen thing was more or less over as their entire leadership was eliminated and their is relative quiet in chechnya. this assuming that this is a chechen op.
Chechnya, Tatarstan, Bashkorostan and Ingushetia are the 4 most troubled region where jihadi terrorism is still going on with various faction leaders wanting to establish Taliban style "Islamic Emirate" and proclaiming themselves as the "Emirs". A.V. must be knowing more details about this group.

Blackwater

Chechnya, Tatarstan, Bashkorostan and Ingushetia are the 4 most troubled region where jihadi terrorism is still going on with various faction leaders wanting to establish Taliban style "Islamic Emirate" and proclaiming themselves as the "Emirs". A.V. must be knowing more details about this group.
Pakiz at its best again . Acccording to Zahil insaaan hamid ,pak help chechniyans and other muslims sepratist region of USSR. ISI trained them to make bombs and explode.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Pakiz at its best again . Acccording to Zahil insaaan hamid ,pak help chechniyans and other muslims sepratist region of USSR. ISI trained them to make bombs and explode.
You know, I am beginning to think that if the FSB traces the fact that this attack has its training and arming all the way into Af-Pak, then I wonder what steps Russians take vis-a-vis Af-Pak. Even if the support has not been literal from Pakistanis, if the Russians even get a whiff of involvement here, this Zahil insaan Hamid is going to send entire Pakistan on a big suicide adventure.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Fv**kin' ass-wh0**in' motherf***kin' cv*nt-lickin' sons of b!tches!

To the guy who did it: You should be the official poster-child for abortion.

R.I.P. my Russian friends.

ejazr

Ambassador
R.I.P. to the departed, a difficult time for their relatives for sure.

very surprising that the bomber was able to even enter the airport without any security checks given the fact that there was a similar bombing last year in March where a metro station was bombed and 40 people died

I thought the Chechen thing was more or less over as their entire leadership was eliminated and their is relative quiet in chechnya. this assuming that this is a chechen op.
Well the military ops against the Chechen separatists ended in 2009 followed by a referendum and elections. Its quite possible that there are still remnants who are opposed to Russia and are trying to strike back in any way they can.

Blackwater

Moscow airport bombers were part of suicide squad trained in Pakistan

Moscow, Jan 26(ANI): The suicide bombers who carried out the Moscow airport attack were probably part of a suicide squad trained in Pakistan's al-Qaeda strongholds.

A newspaper close to Russia's FSB security service published what it claimed was a warning issued in December to the Moscow police, which said there was credible intelligence that a suicide squad made up of three women and one man from Chechnya was headed to Moscow, The Telegraph reported.

The memo said the team had spent time in Pakistan and Iran, and that one of the women had a relative with a flat in Moscow that might be used as a bomb-making factory.

Another group of five Islamist militants trained in Pakistan was also expected to cross into Russia soon, it added.

Intelligence services have been embarrassed by the revelation that informants had warned of an attack on an airport in the Russian capital just weeks before the incident. Security experts said the tip-off had revealed that a criminal gang based in the Moscow suburbs was assisting a Chechen bombing-making squad, and that a suicide cell was travelling from the training camp, the report said.

Following the blast that rocked Moscow's Domodedovo airport, killing 35 people and wounding over 130 others, Russian security sources said yesterday that a male and female suicide bomber from the Black Widow brigades had carried out the bombing together. The attack had been closely supervised by three accomplices, who had watched from a distance and are now being sought by the authorities, the report added.

A Russian security official said the bomb attack was carried by a woman, who mingled with the crowd at arrivals, and then either herself set the bomb off or someone else detonated it using a remote-control device.

A grisly picture of the severed head of the male terrorist, who was standing beside the suicide bomber when the blast happened, is being circulated around police and security services in the troubled mostly-Muslim North Caucasus region to see if anyone recognised him, said the report.

The region, which includes restive internal Russian republics such as Chechnya, Ingushetia and Dagestan, is in the grip of a growing Islamist insurgency and has served as a launching pad in the past for a series of deadly strikes on civilian targets in Moscow and other cities, it added.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/moscow-air...uicide-squad-trained-20110126-004224-060.html

JayATL

Check this out. You know Russians don't give a rat's ass about what the international community will say , in terms of being politically correct here. It is well known that Us has a contingency plan , that if another 911 or attack were to happen in the US and the culprits had anything to do with the region of Pakistan. The US has 150 sites it has already identified as bombing in Pakistan. NOW - what if Russia does this? ... in response.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Although I agree that Russians would be less caring for political correctness and rightly so. Also Russians are an unpredictable lot.
But this thing isn't big enough for Russia to take such measures.v2700+ of 9/11 and 35+ in Moscow are very different figures.
I don't mean to devalue the lives of Russians who died, but sense has to prevail in what methods would be adopted and how big would the measures be.
If another of such carnage happens in Russia in a month or so then I'd say things would be different. People would see twisted arms and smell gunpowder then.

Regards,
Virendra

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles