David Cameron: 'I'll do you a good deal on a fighter jet'

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
'I'll do you a good deal on a fighter jet' David Cameron starts whistle stop tour of the Gulf to sell £6billion worth of British military aircraft

- Prime Minister embarks on three-day trade visit to the Gulf and Middle East
- He hopes to secure deals to sell 100 Typhoon jets worth £6billion
- PM insists push for commercial contracts will not stop him raising human rights concerns
- He also warns Iran developing nuclear weapons would be a 'desperately bad development for our world'

David Cameron arrived in the Gulf today, hoping to seal multi-billion pound deals to sell fighter jets to Arab states.

The Prime Minister arrived in Dubai this morning, at the start of a three-day tour of the Gulf and the Middle East. He insisted there was 'no no-go areas' in raising human rights concerns with leaders in the region, as he pushed for British industry to secure lucrative contracts.

He also insisted he would do 'everything we can' to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons.

The Premier hopes to help cement deals worth more than £6billion for the sale of 100 aircraft to the region in the coming year, deals that together would be directly worth over £6 billion to British firms.

Mr Cameron hopes to persuade the United Arab Emirates military to buy 60 of BAE's Typhoon fighter jets, as they seek to replace their current fleet of French Mirage jets.

Tomorrow he will travel to Saudi Arabia which is also considering adding to its own Typhoon force. It is Mr Cameron's second to each country since becoming Prime Minister.

Downing Street insists the trip was part of a wider effort to build a 'reinvigorated partnership' between Britain and the region's leaders.

David Cameron visits the Gulf hoping to sell £6bn worth of British Typhoon military aircraft | Mail Online

That sounds like a desperate plea :pound:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Hehhehe. He will not back down from asking the rulers to get their human rights record straight but will sell them fighters which if needed will be used by the rulers to target their citizens. We have seen this happen in the Arab/Muslim world. But then they have to keep the factory running, have to keep the jobs and keep the profits coming.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Emirate of Dubai has no money. Emirate of Abu Dhabhi has the money and controls defence.

drkrn

had this fool made this offer earlier to india they would have got a good chance of winning

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
had this fool made this offer earlier to india they would have got a good chance of winning
I was about to say the same thing. :D

During negotiations, the EF delegation was adamant on the pricing point.

And what a price tag then! $125 million apiece!

That too for a jet that had pathetic A2G capabilities (only to be rectified in Tranche 3 two years from now).

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Emirate of Dubai has no money. Emirate of Abu Dhabhi has the money and controls defence.
Its technically the same country, bhai.

But I doubt the Emiratis would go for something similar to Saudis. They've a history of buying different weapons combinations than Saudis.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Its technically the same country, bhai.

But I doubt the Emiratis would go for something similar to Saudis. They've a history of buying different weapons combinations than Saudis.
UAE will go French way too.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
UAE will go French way too.
Yeah. They've already got good infrastructure for Mirage 2000 series. Getting them to go for a non-French model would be an uphill task.

Although I fail to understand, why has EFT failed to go profitable even after reaching mass production and being on the client list of more than 6 countries?

Why is it that it is not getting any cheaper and only getting costlier?

That means there is definitely something wrong somewhere that Brits and the Germans are unable to see.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles