Dalits allege social boycott, quit Haryana village

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by The Messiah, May 23, 2012.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Dalits allege social boycott, quit Haryana village

CHANDIGARH: Around 70 dalit families of a Haryana village have left their homes and are camping outside the Hisar district administration headquarters to protest discrimination by upper-caste villagers. Dalits of Bhagana village allege they are facing social boycott.

Police have been deployed in the village to avert a flare-up. The dalit protest is also receiving support from members of other backward communities.

When a low-caste farmer was stopped from entering a village pond by upper-caste men, the dalits bolted their houses and marched to the district headquarters the next day. "On Monday, we decided to finally leave. We have suffered enough," said Satish Kumar, who is leading the protests. He alleged dalits are being ostracized for the last three months.

On Tuesday, a delegation of upper-caste villagers met the deputy commissioner, Amit Aggarwal, and denied imposing a boycott on dalits. "A few people are trying to create a rift," said village sarpanch Rakesh Kumar.

Sparks were first lit in 2011 when dalits demanded free residential plots of 100 square yards under Mahatma Gandhi Gramin Basti Yojana. This was strongly opposed by upper-caste villagers even though 220 acres of shamlat (community) land lay vacant. "Upper caste men distributed this land among themselves. Now, they are forcing us to withdraw a complaint against encroachment of land," said Balraj Satrodia, district president of Bahujan Samaj Party.

Deputy commissioner Amit Aggarwal said a probe has been ordered. "It's not a case of atrocities on dalits, but a dispute between two groups," Aggarwal said.

Dalits allege social boycott, quit Haryana village - The Times of India

3. Zoravar

Zoravar Regular Member

Every dispute is not due to discrimination,it can also be sheer greed on either of the sides.

4. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

But somehow their greed is not so much there when it comes to their own 'upper' communities and they are ready to share. While they wont share with lower caste communities. And I am sure the pond has enough water for all. But let me not stop you from protecting the bigots under the guise of greed or what not.

5. Zoravar

Zoravar Regular Member

I said EITHER of the sides.And regarding the pond,it could be someone who had a PERSONAL dispute with the lower caste farmer and stopped him for his personal reasons and not necessarily a joint decision taken by all the upper caste villagers.And note how the article says lower caste and not scheduled caste and also how (according to his surname)the village headman himself appears to be a lower caste.You are the real hater here assuming that each high caste supports the other in attrocities.

6. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

DO you live in India?

7. Zoravar

Zoravar Regular Member

Yeah I live in India.