Dalit woman paraded naked

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by The Messiah, Jan 13, 2012.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Dalit woman paraded naked

SATARA: In a shocking incident, a Dalit widow was assaulted and reportedly paraded naked at Mulgaon village of Patan tehsil in Satara district, western Maharashtra, two days ago, after her son eloped with a girl from a high-caste family.

Patan police on Wednesday arrested Kisan Dattatray Desai (45), Hambirrao Bapurao Desai (39), Shantabai Kisan Desai (35), Vimal Vishwas Desai (32) and Sunita Hambirrao Desai (35) in the case under Indian Penal Code sections 143, 149 (unlawful assembly), 354 (assault with intention to outrage woman's modesty) and 324 (causing grievous hurt).

"We are investigating further," Sub-Divisional police officer Fattulal Naikawadi told PTI.

On Monday, Rekha Chavan (42), a Dalit woman, was allegedly paraded naked and later assaulted as her 22-year-old son eloped with a girl from the Desai family.

The police however refused to confirm if the victim had been paraded naked. Chavan has been admitted to a hospital at Karad in the district.

Dalit woman paraded naked - Times Of India

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Not many moved by the plight of Dalit woman in Maharashtra?

Not many moved by the plight of Dalit woman in Maharashtra?

New Delhi: In Maharashtra, political parties may be sparring for a land for a memorial of Babasaheb Ambedkar but not too many moved by the plight of a Dalit woman who was assaulted and paraded naked at Mulgaon village in Satara, all because her son eloped with a girl from a higher caste.

After she was stripped, paraded naked and beaten mercilessly by lathis, this Dalit Woman in the district hospital of Maharashtra's Karad says she is terrified of returning to her village.

Weeks after Rekha Chavan was assaulted and humiliated, her attackers roam free. Rekha is guilty of allowing her son, a Dalit elope with an girl from the upper caste.

In election season as politicians across party lines woo the Dalit voter, on the ground very little has changed.

RR Patil, Home Minsiter, Maharashtra, said, "Enquiry has been ordered. Strict action will be taken. I will not allow atrocities on Dalits."
    It was in Satara district that a young Ambedkar faced humiliating experiences on account of his caste. Experiences that made him think of unaccountability that influenced his life. Decades later it appears nothing has changed as Rekha chavan from the very same Satar district will tell you. Agitating for land to build a memorial for Babsaheb Ambedkar ahead of elections will not change that.

Not many moved by the plight of Dalit woman in Maharashtra? - India News - IBNLive

4. Singh

‘Would they have tortured me the same way had I not been a Dalit?'

‘Would they have tortured me the same way had I not been a Dalit?'

Rekha was assaulted because her son allegedly eloped with a Maratha girl
    Four days after she was beaten up, stripped and paraded in her own village, 42-year-old Dalit widow Rekha Arun Chavan wonders if she would have lived a life of more dignity had she been born in an upper caste. Rekha was assaulted because her son Amol allegedly eloped with a Maratha girl Anita Desai from Mulgaon village in Karad, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan's hometown. Relatives of the girl confessed to The Hindu that they had indeed beaten her up.

Bai aahe ka kutri? Am I woman or a dog to be beaten up like that,” Rekha asked this correspondent while she lay in a bed on Friday afternoon in Karad's Krishna Hospital. “About 12 persons of the Desai family assaulted me for one and a half hours. They called me names and swore at me for being from a lower caste. Would they have tortured me the same [way] had I not been a Dalit,” she asked. She had no clue about her 22-year-old son Amol's relationship with 17-year-old Anita, their neighbour.

“What was wrong?”

Speaking to The Hindu in Mulgaon village, where the incident happened, Anita's cousin Bhimrao Desai said, “What is wrong? How would anyone else react if their daughter had run away with a lower caste man?”

So far, five persons from the Desai household have been arrested in the case, and are under police custody.

The Desais are Marathas. According to Rekha, the village always lives in fear of the Marathas. Nobody speaks against them. There are about 25 Dalit families, and 100 Maratha families, she said. “When I was being beaten up, everyone just watched. They want to live safely in the village,” she said, showing the black and blue marks on the thighs, back and hands. Rekha said she had been ostracised by the villagers, even from her community, on the orders of the Marathas. She owns a small provision store. She lost her husband 22 years ago.

Like every village in Maharashtra, Mulgaon also boasts a ‘Tanta Mukti Samiti' (committee to resolve disputes) under the much talked about Mahatma Gandhi Tanta Mukti Gaon Yojana (dispute-free village scheme). A dispute like this should have been identified and resolved at the village level. However, as Bhimrao Desai reveals, the head of the committee is also from the Desai community. “When things are going wrong in your own house, what can the committee do,” he asks.

Rekha's son left the house stating that he was going to Pune for a job. “He left on December 13. I haven't heard of him since,” she said. Anita went missing a day after. Since then, Rekha was threatened repeatedly. Her nephew Sharad and sister-in-law Surekha were also beaten up. While Sharad has lodged a police complaint, Surekha was too scared to take the step. It is also perhaps a sense of guilt that stopped her. “Amol had told me before leaving. He wanted me to give his mobile phone to Anita and help her hide her bag, I had conveyed the message to her,” Surekha said.

When attempts to get the information about her son from her relatives failed, the Desais targeted her, Rekha says. I kept begging them to leave me, and I repeatedly told them that I didn't know about his whereabouts. But nobody listened. Both the men and women were merciless,” she stated.

In Mulgaon, though, there is a sense of acceptance of the atrocity. “Such things [inter-caste marriages] can happen in cities, but even we don't feel good that it is happening in our own village,” Eknath Chavan, also a Dalit, said. “We know it is permitted by law but we cannot be OK with it,” he said.

Rekha's neighbour Samabai Chavan, who was one of the eyewitnesses, said: “I tried to stop them. She held on to my feet while they were beating her with sticks.” According to Samabai, Rekha went to the hospital alone after being assaulted. Nobody from the village has gone to visit Rekha in the hospital. “She is paying for what she has done. We have to do our own work,” Eknath Chavan says nonchalantly.

In the hospital, Rekha's 70-year-old mother Gayabai Sathe asks, “What has my daughter done? How will she go back and live in her house?”

Says Rekha: “I want to prove to them that I cannot be scared away. I will go back to my house in the village and live with dignity.”

[​IMG]

The Hindu : States / Other States : ‘Would they have tortured me the same way had I not been a Dalit?'

5. Singh

Laxmanrao Dhoble justifies Satara Dalit’s stripping

Laxmanrao Dhoble justifies Satara Dalit’s stripping

Four days after a Dalit woman was allegedly stripped and beaten by members of an upper caste family in Mulgaon village in Satara district, Laxmanrao Dhoble, NCP leader and minister for water supply and sanitation, tried to justify the incident saying that “the anger of the family was natural”.

Upset with the comment, members of the Dalit Mahasangh burned an effigy of Dhoble outside Krishna Charitable Hospital in Karad where the 42-year-old widow was being treated.

In December 2011, the widow’s 21-year old-son eloped with his 18-year-old girlfriend, who is from the Maratha community. The girl’s father, Kishan Desai, kept inquiring with the widow, who belongs to the scheduled caste Matang community, about the whereabouts of her son.

On January 9, about 15 members of the Desai family approached the victim while she was fetching water from the village well. The Dalit Mahasangh claims that the woman beaten with shoes, stones and sticks, stripped, dragged through the village and tied to a tree.

On Friday morning, after visiting the widow, the minister told the media that the incident has been exaggerated.

Dhoble said the woman had been living in the village for two decades without any issue. “The outburst of the girl’s family is natural. The facts are being twisted in this matter, creating environment of suspicion,” Dhoble said.

While five members of the Desai family have been arrested, the state government has ordered an inquiry in this matter.

Laxmanrao Dhoble justifies Satara Dalit’s stripping - Mumbai - DNA

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Keel haul the perpetrators!

pmaitra likes this.
  7. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Outrageous and disgusting.

Truth be told, I am not surprised though that a NCP wala has spoken like this.

The NCP ruffians run a parallel govt in the Pawar stronghold of Satara and this is only expected from those inbreds.

Nagraj likes this.
  8. Rahul M

Rahul M Regular Member

stuff a thick bamboo up their backside.

9. HeinzGud

HeinzGud Senior Member Senior Member

10. Ray

LTTE was not only a Hindu based organisation, but the think tanks were Christians! Heard of Anton?

Nagraj likes this.
  11. Ray

Politicians are running amok with heady power!

12. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Nagraj likes this.
  13. Singh

Well it shouldn't come as a shock and caste based politics has become a permanent feature in elections.

14. HeinzGud

HeinzGud Senior Member Senior Member

Nagraj likes this.
  15. Killswitch

Killswitch Regular Member

The Caste system is pure evil.

16. Nagraj

Nagraj Regular Member

17. mylegend

mylegend Regular Member

I thought Indian friend always preach the caste is abolished? In US, this can be identify as hate crime...