Cyril Radcliffe: Innocent or devious?

Discussion in 'Defence & Strategic Issues' started by Yusuf, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Well I always thought about asking this question and kept forgetting.

So was Radcliffe as innocent as he claimed or devious in his role as the one to draw the line partitioning India and Pakistan.

Punjab was partitioned in a manner that the line passed though houses. One may forgive that but fertile areas and Sikh religious places were put on the other side. Major water and irrigation systems went there. I think the thought was that Kashmir would be taken by force later and the entire Indus water system would come to Pak control. No wonder the British army officers were integral part of the planning and execution of the first war. Ever since Britain was supportive of Pak position for a very long time.

The other real thorny issue for me is the Chittagong Hill Tract. It never was a Muslim area but went to Pakistan. No logic or innocence there. It was a careful and well thought out plan. It cut of Indian eastern sector from the sea and left only a chickens neck as connectivity for India for its eastern region. If india had that area under its control, our north east would have been far better developed and strategically we could have a big naval base there as well as strategic depth against China. Add to this, India would have had claims on large oil and gas reserves in the area.

My thought is that Radcliffe was not as innocent as he pretended and was well mandated to come up with a line with strategic calculations.

Tolaha, bharata and parijataka like this.
  3. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

If I remember correctly the British officers of Pakistan Army were actually AGAINT a formal invasion of Kashmir and warned Jinnah that their forces would not fight in that.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Col Brown of the Gilgit Scout was the first one to rebel in Gilgit..

Cyril John Radcliffe, 1st Viscount Radcliffe GBE, PC, QC had no clue of India and was basically a lawyer by profession and was working for the British Govt.

But like all British personage of that era, he was an imperialist and understood the British subterfuge that was legend.

As everywhere, it was the British policy to leave areas of dispute and discontent in all their colonies or British Administered UN Mandates so that they are called into mediate (through the UNSC where they had the Permanent Seat) and so they thus have a continuous finger in the pie.

sasi, parijataka and Yusuf like this.
  5. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I wonder if India had any plans on Chittagong to take it somehow as it was not a Muslim region and gave access by sea to the north east?

6. Ray

It was not contiguous.

7. Ray

The British were the real imperialist of the world/

Others failed but Britain reigned supreme all through and without too much of strife.

They knew how to placate the natives and yet lord it over!

Now the chickens are coming to roost in Great Britain!

The worm turns as the adage goes!

gokussj9 and parijataka like this.
  8. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Well said.The British divided India and created Pakistan over opposition from Mahatma Gandhi and Congress Party with plans to use it as a future strategic launch pad into Central Asia. The British, especially Churchill, were very reluctant to let go of India - if not for war fatigue from WW II they would have stuck around for some more time through subterfuge and sweet talk. And now the Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are taking over Great Britain - payback time !

sasi and gokussj9 like this.