Customer support aka call centers in India

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Has anyone else noticed that the quality of call center personnel has dramatically declined in India over the last few years? I have been noticing this for a few years now, and my guess is that this is because the bar is rising in India with increasing economic growth, and it is tough to find people of good standard to fill positions like customer support etc.

Here is the experience I had today. I need a DTH service for a house, which is in the final stages of construction. I want the wiring done right now, along with the rest of the electrical wiring, and the remaining installation (antenna, set top box, etc.) later, after the house interiors are complete. So, I began calling all the "customer service numbers" of various operators. I hope the people concerned come across this and do something about it. Maybe this thread can become a repository for rants about various people's experiences with these "customer support" call centers.

Sun Direct: Average
The lady was more interested in reeling off long lists of their "packages" with all the names of all the channels therein. She was tough to understand, but at least she gave me information about wiring and charges.

Airtel Digital: Pathetic
When I call their number and choose the "new connection" option, the lady asks me to note down a number and call that number instead. No, she cannot transfer the call. She gives me some idiotic number like 12135 or something, which can obviously be dialed only from an Airtel mobile. I ask her whether this number will work from any phone, she says, "yes maaa" - which is hardly what one would expect. As expected, the number does not work. I call them again, and get a different girl this time. She gives me the same number, and I ask her to give me a general number. She puts me on hold for more than 10 minutes, I get pissed off and disconnect. So, I cannot go for Airtel, since those people have not even allowed me to establish contact with them!

Videocon D2H: Below average
The fellow was very hard to understand, and very tough to decipher what he was saying. He straightaway said that they "don't do wiring". I am curious to know how the install D2H in homes if they "don't do wiring". Stupid.

Tata Sky: Excellent
Tata Sky was the only place where everything ran smoothly. The person was clear and audible, he transferred the call to the right person, the salesperson had information about wiring and other details, and called back at 5 PM sharp, as agreed. Eventually, Tata and Sun were the only ones who agreed to do the wiring right now, along with the rest of the electrical wiring.

Dish TV: Good
The call was transferred to the appropriate person directly, and the salesperson was communicating well, but there was too much background noise, highly distracting. Unfortunately, they don't do wiring in advance - otherwise, the experience with these people wasn't that bad.

In the early 2000s, Hutch and other call centers had good standards and knowledgeable people used to answer queries. Their communication and speech was fairly good. Things have deteriorated to such a level now, it has become an insufferable experience to dial one of these call centers and talk to them! This disease has begun to afflict almost everyone I deal with - from my ISP to my banks!

Last edited:

Blackwater

It's true not only the quality has declined but integrity also gone. leakages of personnel data is big concern. No wonder most of the multinational moving away from India

warriorextreme

Country flag
TATA is best..be it TATA skya,TATA DOCOMO,TATA INDICOM,VIRGIN GSM. etc etc etc...i have never ever had any complaints about their products or after-sales services..

Blackwater

TATA is best..be it TATA skya,TATA DOCOMO,TATA INDICOM,VIRGIN GSM. etc etc etc...i have never ever had any complaints about their products or after-sales services..
Virgin is available in India? if yes in which state

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Vodafone is absolutely the worst.
Tatasky is great.
WesternDigital sucks.
Dell is meh.

Oracle

I use DishTV, well kinda good going for me. But, saala some chor stole the LnB from my antenna like 2 months back. I had to buy a new one and get it installed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles