CRPF to be armed with sniper rifles to target Maoists

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Kunal ji, W.G Ewald,

can we use this sniper rifle? they say, it is a anti-material rifle and it can kill tangos wearing bullet proof vest and hiding behind concrete wall with ease :D

Vidhwansak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe anti-material weapons have a primary application of taking out vehicles and aircraft on the ground. I was told that .50 BMG was unlawful (according to Law of Land Warfare) to use on personnel, but never confirmed that statement.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
I believe anti-material weapons have a primary application of taking out vehicles and aircraft on the ground. I was told that .50 BMG was unlawful (according to Law of Land Warfare) to use on personnel, but never confirmed that statement.
i wont mind using .50 cal on tangos who kill innocent people :D everything is fair in love and in war :)

lemontree

Professional
If investing big bucks and a lot of time in their hobby makes them so. I would love to compete there with my .308 Steyr-Mannlicher.
Good for you...we need to have something like the 2nd Amendment in India too. We got have the right to own weapons.

bhramos

Country flag
i wont mind using .50 cal on tangos who kill innocent people :D everything is fair in love and in war :)
this is not love neither war, but this is fighting for the rights of adhivasis, they are also citizens of India. and have same rights as you do, but why are they never given any basic rights???
no roads, no electricity, even after 60 years of Independence, until now no govt cared for them, but when you need bauxite and other minerals, you come to forests and fight a war on them, this is bad.
now for minerals you are destroying whole worlds animals and forests and declaring War on Global warming!!!! this is bad part........

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Good for you...we need to have something like the 2nd Amendment in India too. We got have the right to own weapons.
If a similar amendment is written for the Constitution of India, have it worded more clearly than our 2nd Amendment, We have been arguing about what it really says for 250 years.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
CRPF to be armed with sniper rifles to target Maoists

Official sources said at least five vendors -- including Germany's Walther, Switzerland's Brugger and Thomet, South Africa's Truvelo, Italy's Sako/Baretta and a Czech manufacturer -- are vying for the tender dispatched a year ago.

Security officials said competitive trials where all five models would be test-fired to a range of 800-1000 metres would take place at the CRPF's Kaderpur firing range in Haryana on the Delhi-Sohna road.

The acquisition is being re-tendered after an earlier attempt by the CRPF to acquire 807 sniper rifles -- 433 bolt-action and 374 semi-automatic models -- was summarily rejected last year after the Qualitative Requirements for the weapon system were rejected on operational grounds.

The deadline under the FTP -- specially introduced by the MoD to short-cut cumbersome procurement procedures -- to finalise the import of 900-1000 sniper rifles for the Special Forces concluded last December with Finland's bolt-action SAKO TRG-22/24, Israel Weapon Industries semi-automatic Galil 7.62x54mm sniper model and Sig Sauer of USA's SSG 3000 bolt-action, magazine-fed rifle, competing for the $ 10-12 million contract.

But defence industry sources said even then its SSG 3000 model was not tested to the optimum range of 800-1000 metres in both day and night conditions and was reportedly wrangling to secure yet another MoD waiver in this regard, resulting in delays in confirming the sniper rifle purchase.

Military sources said the army's QRs drawn up in support of the sniper rifle requirement in its tender issued in August 2009 appear to have been by framed by ill-informed officers with seemingly little or no field experience.

Surprisingly, the QR mandated no accuracy standard for the sniper rifles at a minimum strike range of 800 mt -- the fundamental requirement for such a weapon system -- but absurdly requires them to be fitted with a bayonet.

CRPF to be armed with sniper rifles to target Maoists, tests soon - Rediff.com India News
This article is written by a person who has no knowlege of sniper rifles or even small arms. Though what he did get right was this new found liking for imports of anything from 9mm SMGs and costly sniper rifles by para military officials to waste big budgets.

My two piece - OFB has already come out with bolt action sniper rifle. Otherwise reverse engineered Lee enfield bolt action with a scope is good enough for 99.99% action.

For faster action SLR Isapore 7.62x51 with side mounted scope will do the job or just import more Russian SVDs. Why go for super expensive western rifles??

For heavier role CRPF can use VIDHWANSAK, but that will not bring extraneous benefits, is it not?

Anyway, to complete this post if a sniper can hit a man sized target at 500m in couple of shots in "combat scenario" then he is super sniper. Note at 500m a man size target is smaller then tip of a pencil.

For Normal DMR role which CRPF will look at, rifle which is capable of hitting man sized target at 300m is adequate, Which means that we don't need snipre rifles but more "training"

Last edited:

amitkriit

This article is written by a person who has no knowlege of sniper rifles or even small arms. Though what he did get right was this new found liking for imports of anything from 9mm SMGs and costly sniper rifles by para military officials to waste big budgets.

My two piece - OFB has already come out with bolt action sniper rifle. Otherwise reverse engineered Lee enfield bolt action with a scope is good enough for 99.99% action.

For faster action SLR Isapore 7.62x51 with side mounted scope will do the job or just import more Russian SVDs. Why go for super expensive western rifles??
Because they give more...no kickbacks, no business, no happy new year.

hitesh

1-line of sight in the jungles where the CRPF would be operating would be at most 300-500 meters .

2-Not every one in the jungle is a bad guy ,there are poor tribal's out there ,so you wont be shooting what ever moves .

3-anti material rifles are heavy to carry ,its not very easy to carry 25 kg rifles on long patrols specially on foot .

Conclusion -

these would have bin enough .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
i think you are expecting more about, this would be more then enough...
I wonder if people even understand weapons
Little more dedication..

Same goes for IA, SVD is a good DMR but their is a huge cry for ammo..

Where as FNFAL ammo is same as the MMG use, And the 7.62x51 is manufacture in OFB....

Performance of both rounds are more or less same..

Last edited:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
this is not love neither war, but this is fighting for the rights of adhivasis, they are also citizens of India. and have same rights as you do, but why are they never given any basic rights???
no roads, no electricity, even after 60 years of Independence, until now no govt cared for them, but when you need bauxite and other minerals, you come to forests and fight a war on them, this is bad.
now for minerals you are destroying whole worlds animals and forests and declaring War on Global warming!!!! this is bad part........
right,

as they were not provided with electricity, roads etc, let them take up arms and start killing innocent people.
let them take up arms and kill innocent people, because we are destroying animals and forests.

:thumb:

generally speaking,

all those human right preachers and those Maoists supporters and sympathizers out there, you can all kiss my ass. :pound::cool2:

pmaitra

M14 bullpup

M14 bullpup

The new BullDog bullpup 7.62mm x 51mm NATO M14 is an amazing rifle with lots of promise that has already proven itself in combats in Afghanistan.

Good news: We already have infrastructure for manufacturing 7.62x51mm NATO rounds!

KS

Bye bye DFI
Good decision.

I think as India acquired those Apaches, those IAF Mil-24/35s should be transferred to CRPF and CRPF should have its own air wing.
I would disagree.

Most of CRPF ops are in dense jungles where the Choppers have limited potential.

Instead they should be given to BSF.

pmaitra

I would disagree.

Most of CRPF ops are in dense jungles where the Choppers have limited potential.

Instead they should be given to BSF.
I would imagine choppers would have enhanced potential in dense jungles. With choppers you can go anywhere. Those Mil-24/35s can not only pack a punch, they can deploy troops for ambush around a target area and then chew up that area and the deployed troops can take on the escaping enemy [tactic extensively used by Soviet Army in Afghanistan using this very machine]. On the other hand, a pilot can go very close to the target, make sure whether it is civilian or combatant and then attack them without being vulnerable to enemy fire [the cockpit is pretty damn safe].

KS

Bye bye DFI
I would imagine choppers would have enhanced potential in dense jungles. With choppers you can go anywhere. Those Mil-24/35s can not only pack a punch, they can deploy troops for ambush around a target area and then chew up that area and the deployed troops can take on the escaping enemy [tactic extensively used by Soviet Army in Afghanistan using this very machine]. On the other hand, a pilot can go very close to the target, make sure whether it is civilian or combatant and then attack them without being vulnerable to enemy fire [the cockpit is pretty damn safe].
The terrain of Afghanistan is 180 deg opposite to the terrain of Central Indian jungles.

For the troop carrier part Dhruvs and Mi-17s will be the best suited.

pmaitra

The terrain of Afghanistan is 180 deg opposite to the terrain of Central Indian jungles.

For the troop carrier part Dhruvs and Mi-17s will be the best suited.
Yes, it is opposite. However, terrain of Central India is much better suited for Mil-24/35 than Afghanistan, because of low altitude.

Dhruvs and Mil-17s are extremely vulnerable to enemy fire. Mil-24/35s are not. Low altitude means Mil-24/35s can carry troops with ease. Moreover, having a single platform for assault and troop transport eases logistics and maintenance problems.

You might wanna read this: http://defenceforumindia.com/indian-army/21717-attack-choppers-add-teeth-indian-armys-strike.html

Last edited:

bhramos

Country flag
right,

as they were not provided with electricity, roads etc, let them take up arms and start killing innocent people.
let them take up arms and kill innocent people, because we are destroying animals and forests.

:thumb:

generally speaking,

all those human right preachers and those Maoists supporters and sympathizers out there, you can all kiss my ass. :pound::cool2:

as personally got a chance to join maoists, but i choose IA, my bad luck or good luck i didnt qualify for IA, you people live cities dont know problems of Rural India, as of you know the solution for maoists is not gun, but +power, develop the rural areas automatically the maoists problem will close, but the upa govt is leaving the problem of bjp rulled states like Chatisgarh , odisha and so on for political mileage...... best example is andhra pradesh, you develop the rural areas the naxal problem will come to an end. as basically its a revolution you kill one, two come up again, so gun is not the answer...

bhramos

Country flag
Yes, it is opposite. However, terrain of Central India is much better suited for Mil-24/35 than Afghanistan, because of low altitude.

Dhruvs and Mil-17s are extremely vulnerable to enemy fire. Mil-24/35s are not. Low altitude means Mil-24/35s can carry troops with ease. Moreover, having a single platform for assault and troop transport eases logistics and maintenance problems.

You might wanna read this: http://defenceforumindia.com/indian-army/21717-attack-choppers-add-teeth-indian-armys-strike.html
i think you are choosing gun in case of gun and rose, i support in any case gun, but not in maoists case, kill those bastards with love, and with thorn of a rose, then you can become a super power automatically. its different from kashmir as its not a religion issue, its different from NE rebals as its not a martial race issue... as we are not a paki's, but we are Indians kill or win with love, you know this is great strategy with which our great ancient king ruled and occupied whole SE asia...

pmaitra

i think you are choosing gun in case of gun and rose, i support in any case gun, but not in maoists case, kill those bastards with love, and with thorn of a rose, then you can become a super power automatically. its different from kashmir as its not a religion issue, its different from NE rebals as its not a martial race issue... as we are not a paki's, but we are Indians kill or win with love, you know this is great strategy with which our great ancient king ruled and occupied whole SE asia...
You have a valid point and I agree, except that, Maoists are indeed flush with money to procure motorcycles and weapons. Not all their weapons are stolen. The do get funding from PRC.

If you have read my earlier posts, I recommended Mil-24/35 because you can go very close to the ground and still be immune to the kind of weapons the Maoists have and that way you can make sure you are not killing civilians. If you think I am all for indiscriminate use of force, then you have misunderstood me.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

@Pmaitra,

Gunships are strictly not allowed, Only Observation and Rescue, But Lancer can be used as its a light recon gunship as its not a dedicated gunship..

pmaitra

@Pmaitra,

Gunships are strictly not allowed, Only Observation and Rescue, But Lancer can be used as its a light recon gunship as its not a dedicated gunship..
I believe it is a political decision? What would one decide purely from the military point of view?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles