Crowd laps up Modi's 'Didi' jibes

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, May 8, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Crowd laps up Modi's 'Didi' jibes

KOLKATA: Every time Narendra Modi uttered "Didi" - his half-mocking moniker for Mamata Banerjee - at the Kankurgachi rally on Wednesday, the crowd cheered. In fact, Modi had many intonations for "Didi" - taunting, humorous, mock-intimate and serious. And he used them variously to play the crowds and work them to a frenzy.

"Didiiiii ," he beseeched, "why are you so angry with me?" He followed that with a taunt - "every word of yours is a blessing for me, every invective you hurl at me comes as a flower to me"- that had the gathering in splits. They cheered and chanted "Modi, Modi" and the BJP's prime ministerial aspirant reveled in that adulation. Modi managed to turn Mamata's threat to tie him up and drag him to prison into a joke. "Arre Didi, you'll have to call a tender for ropes and the whole process will not only take too long, but will get embroiled in corruption. No need for going through all that trouble. Tell me which prison you want me to go in, and I'll go there myself," he told the wildly cheering crowds, who replied with "we'll follow you".

Modi then thrust the knife deeper. "Didi, I have always had a lot of love for you. I was so proud of your lone battle against the CPM for so long. I used to respect the 'sherni' (tigress) in Bengal. But Didi, what has happened to you now. Why this?" he asked in a tone dripping with mock sympathy. The crowds loved it, and the applause went on. Modi recalled Mamata's disruption of the Lok Sabha in August 2005 over the Speaker's refusal to allow her to raise the issue of Bangladeshi infiltration. "Didi, this brother of yours is saying now exactly what you said in 2005. But you get angry now. Is this fair, Didi? Is this justice, Didi?" he asked in a mock-hurtful tone. The crowd response: a thunderous "No", followed by the "Modi, Modi" chant.

And then he twisted the knife, suggesting that the only 'Paribartan' that has come about in Bengal was in "Didi's behaviour and personality". "Didi, this wasn't expected of you," sighed Modi. He then turned serious: "It is easy to abuse me, Didi, but it is your duty to protect women in Bengal". The next moment, he was mocking her again-"I am scared at times that my Didi will fall ill due to her anger". The last mention of 'Didi' was in connection with the Saradha scam. "The very mention of Saradha gets my Didi worked up. Why Didi?" he wondered. In all, Modi uttered the word 'Didi' as many as 18 times in his 42-minute speech. And every time he did so, the crowds loved him the more for it.

Crowd laps up Modi's 'Didi' jibes - The Times of India

BJP had no presence in West Bengal.

However, the manner in which Mamata Bannerjee has been shaken at the very parachuting in Modi has been doing in Bengal and with each visit, Mamata is getting shriller, it does show that maybe NJP can upset her apple cart.

There is no option in WB. It is either the Left Front or the TMC.

Now, there is another option i.e. the BJP.

It is not that the BJP is the factor, it is actually Modi.

Mamata B has not been able to convince the electorate that she has brought in the desired poriborton (change) that she had promised. And the State is industry negative as also job negative. Comparatively, Gujarat is way ahead of WB and a large number of WB citizens have found jobs and livelihood in Gujarat.

Therefore, Modi's popularity in WB is understandable.

No wonder, Modi was the toast of those present and Modi did not let them down by his broadsides on the fiery and mercurial Didi.

gokussj9 likes this.
  3. abhi_the _gr8_maratha

abhi_the _gr8_maratha Senior Member Senior Member

this mamata b is really scary ,one can't predict what she will say.
    there was fire in her hotel room and she accused opposition and said that it is a conspiracy of opposition to kill her
    she was the one who opposed teest treaty with bangladesh and does not happen it
    she says ec working for her opposition
    but her every claim is nothing but showing her ignorance

4. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

Just loved the way Modi was saying Didii,Didiiiii:rofl:

5. Voldemort

Voldemort Senior Member Senior Member

At last Modi has woken up. BJP thought TMC could be a post poll ally. In his earlier rally in Kolkata, he even praised her. Mamata is obsessed with Modi. She keeps targeting him and calls him 'dangabaaz babu' (rioter) among other things. She never speaks about economy, development,corruption. All she does is frighten people about riots.

6. fallenwarrior

fallenwarrior Regular Member

Today Modi's interview to Times Now was aired and question "why are you antagonizing your probable allies?" was asked to which Modi on repeated attempts at the same question said "This too may be a strategy to garner allies",
    Arnab wanted a clarification abut modi waved it off with a short "after 12th" answer.

How should this very thing be seen?

Is it just an answer? nothing to be read in between the lines?
    Or is it some sort of chalked out strategy that modi blurted out wrongfully?
    Or is it a cunning attempt to confuse the Muslim vote bank and implant suspicion in their mind about mamata because only if Muslim votes split does BJP have a chance!

What do you think @Ray sir?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  7. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

It's simple. If TMC/AIADMK is cut down, from 30+ seats to 20+ seats, they will no longer be able to pose the third/federal/'secular' front threat.

With Cong down to below 100, third/federal/'secular' front managing 130-140 combined, there cannot be any majority of any non-NDA alliance.

Naturally then smaller single digit or 10+ seat parties would gravitate towards NDA, considering NDA falls short by 10-15 seats. Hence the "strategy to garner allies"

8. pratul_09

pratul_09 Regular Member

Mamta banerjee has not done any good for the state after her landslide victory over left front. She does not have anything to boast of so she has now resorted to making false allegations without any proof. How can she call any body dangababu which itself is derogatory and modi could lodge a case against her. What if modi calls her gundi didi will she keep quiet.

Sent from my A99 using Tapatalk

9. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

He has left everything open.

10. Bhadra

Bhadra Defence Professionals Defence Professionals Senior Member

Oh Gas , Gas and lots of Gas ... unlikely to transform into solid state.

11. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

neither do 90% of bengali wants the effing tista treaty. you want good diplomacy, you go scew somebody else - bengalis got screwed up quite a lot by center eg. ganga water sharing treaty.