Cricket : Sachin scores 50 th Test Centuary Barrier

Pintu

AFP: New Zealand to host six Tests

New Zealand to host six Tests

(AFP) – 7 hours ago

WELLINGTON — New Zealand will host a record six Tests in the coming southern hemisphere summer during tours by Pakistan, Bangladesh and Australia, officials said Monday.

In a busy international programme, New Zealand will also host eight one-day internationals and three Twenty20 matches, New Zealand Cricket said.

"New Zealand has never before hosted more than five Tests in a season, so the six Test matches being played this summer is a tremendous programme," New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan said.

Pakistan arrive in mid-November to play three Tests after a scheduled tour there by New Zealand was cancelled for security reasons following the attack by gunmen against the Sri Lankan cricket team in March.

In February Bangladesh arrive for a short tour including one Twenty20 international, three one-dayers and one Test.

Australia will tour from late February, playing two Twenty20 internationals, five one-day internationals and two Tests.

Vaughan said the number of Tests against Australia had been cut from three because of the congested international calendar.

"Playing Test cricket in New Zealand after the cessation of daylight-saving and deep into the second week of April is not realistic. Therefore our only option has been to limit the series to two Tests," Vaughan said.

Schedule:

Pakistan

Nov 24-28: 1st Test, Dunedin

Dec 3-7: 2nd Test, Wellington

Dec 11-15: 3rd Test, Napier

Bangladesh

Feb 3: Twenty20 international, Hamilton

Feb 5: 1st one-day international (ODI), Napier

Feb 8: 2nd ODI, Dunedin

Feb 11: 3rd ODI, Christchurch

Feb 15-19: Test, Hamilton

Australia

Feb 26: 1st Twenty20 international, Wellington

Feb 28: 2nd Twenty20, Christchurch

Mar 3: 1st ODI, Napier

Mar 6: 2nd ODI, Auckland

Mar 9: 3rd ODI, Hamilton

Mar 11: 4th ODI, Auckland

Mar 13: 5th ODI, Wellington

Mar 19-23: 1st Test, Wellington

Mar 27: 2nd Test, Hamilton

Pintu

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Sports | Superb Nehra bowls India into the final

Superb Nehra bowls India into the final

Colombo: A disciplined Team India spanked New Zealand by six wickets in a low-scoring match here at the Premadasa Stadium on Friday night and qualify for Monday’s final against Sri Lanka.

With this win, India became the No.1 ODI side in the world.

In a dull match bereft of significant batting pyrotechnics, India chased down the modest 156-run victory target with aplomb and nearly 10 overs to spare.

For them, Sachin Tendulkar (46), Suresh Raina (45 ..) and captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni (35 ..) came up with useful knocks as they cruised to 156 for four in 40.3 overs, sending the Black Caps out of the tournament after their second successive defeat.

Electing to bat first in the must-win game, New Zealand were bundled out for 155 in 46.3 overs with Man-of-the-Match Ashish Nehra (3/24) and Yuvraj Singh (3/31) mowing down the top and middle order.

Skipper Daniel Vettori top-scored with 25, while Jacob Oram contributed 24.

This win makes their match against Sri Lanka on Saturday inconsequential.

The target, for the Indians, was not intimidating but the conditions did not ideal for the stroke-makers and runs were not easy to come by.

In the absence of regular opener Virender Sehwag and Gautam Gambhir, India sent Dinesh Karthik to open the innings with Sachin, the scheme, however, did not click.

Kyle Mills trapped Karthik (4) in the third over even though the ball seemed missing the leg stump. Sachin and comeback man Rahul Dravid added valuable 60 runs before the former captain fell to Jacob Oram after a 45-ball 14.

Sachin batted with ease before he chipped a Daniel Vettori delivery to Martin Guptil at cover field and fell four-run shy of a well-deserved half-century.

Yuvraj Singh (8) opened his account with a boundary but miscued a slog-sweep and fell to a Vettori delivery, leaving India at 84 for four.

Dhoni and Raina played sensible cricket, shunning risk, to see India home with an unbeaten 72-run stand. In a match conspicuous by the paucity of big shots, Raina, besides, his three fours hit two sixes, in his 54-ball knock.

Earlier, Yuvraj and Nehra scalped three wickets apiece while R.P. Singh and Ishant Sharma chipped in with two wickets each. Nehra, who is back in international cricket after four years in the wilderness bagged his 100th wickets on the day.

The Black Caps, while batting, failed to recover from the early jolts on a tricky Premadasa track. As many as five New Zealand batsmen got into the 20s but none of them could make it really big and bail the team out. They started on a disastrous note as Nehra trapped Jesse Ryder in the third delivery of the innings.

The Black Caps met with another quick jolt when Brendon McCullum (3) fell to Nehra before R.P. Singh dismissed Ross Taylor. Martin Guptill (22) and Grant Elliot (22) tried to steady the innings and put on 32 runs for the fourth wicket before Yuvraj removed both to deal a deadly blow.
(PTI)​

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/289545_Tendulkar-is-my-cricketing-hero--Taylor

Tendulkar is my cricketing hero: Taylor

STAFF WRITER 19:5 HRS IST

Johannesburg, Sep 18 (PTI) He himself has been inspired by Sachin Tendulkar and now New Zealand top order batsman Ross Taylor wants to be a role model for the youngsters of the Rugby-possessed Samoan tribe.

Taylor, only the second cricketer of Samoan origin to play for New Zealand, said it was Tendulkar whom he looked up to during his childhood.

"My cricketing hero is Sachin Tendulkar. He is just an amazing player to watch and I am fortunate to watch him. As a youngster he was always someone I looked upto," Taylor said in the 'ICC World Cricket Audio show'.

"I won't say I emulated him in the batting style which one can easily say looking at the way I bat, but he always being good to watch. It's nice to be able to say I played against him," he said.

Pintu

The Press Association: Paine settling in

Paine settling in

(UKPA) – 7 hours ago

Rookie Tim Paine is enjoying life as a part of Australia's one-day team after his maiden century at Trent Bridge on Thursday night helped the tourists go 6-0 up in their series against England.

The 24-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman has got off to a flying start in an Australia shirt as he has seamlessly filled in for injured first-choice keeper Brad Haddin at the top of the order.

"I'm rapt. Obviously I got a bit nervous there so to get it out of the way and for the team to win a sixth straight game is a great performance," said Paine who is now the second leading runscorer in the series with 233 at 38.83.

After making his debut in the win against Scotland last month, Paine is yet to taste defeat in seven one-day internationals for his country.

He belied his inexperience on Thursday night with a composed 111 from 148 balls that not only moved Australia to the brink of record-breaking whitewash of their greatest rivals, but which also sent them back to the top of the ICC one-day rankings.

Paine showed no sign of nerves until he crept up on his milestone last night - before he spent nine balls on 98 - but after reaching three figures with a push to long-on he admitted he is enjoying life as an international player.

He added: "It's been great to be spending a bit more time at this level and getting comfortable with big crowds and all that sort of stuff.

"I haven't thought too much of what will happen when Brad returns, but for now I'm just concentrating on enjoying playing for me country."

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/292833_India-rise--Australia-slump-in-ICC-ODI-rankings

India rise, Australia slump in ICC ODI rankings

STAFF WRITER 10:32 HRS IST

Dubai, Sep 21 (PTI) Australia's loss turned out to be India's gain as Mahendra Singh Dhoni's men rose back to the second spot following the world champions' return to the third position in the ICC one-day rankings issued today.

Australia were unable to complete an unprecedented 7-0 clean sweep over England yesterday as Ricky Ponting's men went down by four wickets in the final ODI of the series in Durham.

As a result, Australia's brief return to the top of the ODI Championship table ended with the team falling to third again.

South Africa regained the number-one position, the ICC said in a statement.

With just two ratings points separating India, Australia and South Africa, the rankings could be set for some more chopping and changing over the next weeks as the battle for the Champions Trophy begins in South Africa tomorrow.

Pintu

The Press Association: Ponting's enjoyed the trip

Ponting's enjoyed the trip

(UKPA) – 4 hours ago

Australia captain Ricky Ponting has described this summer's tour of England as one of the most enjoyable of his career, despite skippering his side to an Ashes defeat for the second time.

The 34-year-old spent most of the summer playing the role of pantomime villain with the English crowds, who were at one point during Australia's 2-1 Test series defeat asked by the ECB to stop booing him. For his part Ponting never complained about the treatment dished out to him and, after flying home for two weeks at the start of the one-day series, returned to earn some portion of consolation as his side crushed England 6-1.

"This has been if not the most enjoyable then one of the most enjoyable tours I've been on - and we lost the (Test) series as well," he said.

"I've enjoyed it from the start until the last ball was bowled. There was a lot made of the booing stuff that took place early on - that wasn't a big deal as far as I was concerned.

"I enjoyed the contest that was on the field with England through the Ashes series and I've enjoyed the games I've played here through the one-dayers.

"It's a great country to play cricket in, there's other things you can go out and do outside of the cricket time as well around England which adds a little bit to the tour so I've enjoyed it immensely."

Australia hopes of a whitewash were scuppered by a career-best day for England off-spinner Graeme Swann who claimed five for 28 as the tourists were bowled out for 176.

Ponting top-scored with 53, the 68th ODI half-century of a decorated career that earned a further honour on Sunday when he surpassed former Pakistan skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq's 11,739 one-day runs to become the third-highest runscorer of all-time in the 50-over game.

"I didn't know that (he went passed Inzamam). Who am I chasing now?" said Ponting who now only trails Sachin Tendulkar (16,895 runs) and Sanath Jayasuriya (13,343) in the list, albeit by some margin.

"It'd be nice if those two blokes retired. I didn't know that but I guess it's a nice thing to have behind you. Hopefully I have a few more runs to make in the next few weeks (at the Champions Trophy)."

Pintu

AFP: Ponting not taken in by England's spin

Ponting not taken in by England's spin

(AFP) – 8 hours ago

CHESTER-LE-STREET, England — Ricky Ponting insists Australia do not have a problem against spin bowling despite Sunday's Graeme Swann-inspired defeat to England.

Off-spinner Swann took a career-best 5-28 on a turning Riverside pitch as Australia were bowled out for the lowest score of the one-day series on their way to a four-wicket defeat.

But Ponting pointed to his team's performances in the other six matches of the 50-over series - all won by the tourists - as evidence this was not part of a trend.

With India and Pakistan in Australia's group for the Champions Trophy, they will face plenty of spin in the next week-and-a-half but Ponting is relaxed about the prospect.

"We've played the spinners pretty well through this series," he argued. "Swann had one good result but we played (Adil) Rashid really well and Swann in the first couple of games, so we're not concerned about that.

"I wouldn't expect the wickets in Jo'burg and Pretoria would spin as much as this one but even if they do we've got a number of players who have performed well in spinning conditions. We've played quite a lot of our one-day cricket in sub-continental conditions."

Ponting's 53 - Australia's top score on Sunday - took him to third in the list of all-time one-daty run-scorers with 11,756.

But he is more concerned with match-winning performances than weight of runs.

"I didn't know that but it's a nice thing to have behind you," he said.

"Hopefully I can make a few more in the next couple of weeks, that's when players like me need to stand up and make big scores."

The 34-year-old was speaking at the end of a long tour of mixed fortunes.

While his side's limited-overs form was impressive, their failure to win the Ashes for the second Ponting-led tour in succession raised questions about his captaincy.

And a summer which began with him as the pantomime villain of the English crowds ended with another generous standing ovation from the Chester-le-Street crowd.

The positives of the trip seem to have had more impact on Ponting than the negatives.

"This has probably been if not the most enjoyable, one of the most enjoyable tours I've been on - and we lost the Test series as well!" he said.

"I've enjoyed it from the start until the last ball. There's a lot made of booing but that wasn't a big deal as far as I was concerned. I enjoyed the contest.

"It's a great place to play cricket in and there's things you can do outside of the games in England, which adds a bit to it. I've enjoyed it immensely."

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/292698_Viru-quits-as-Daredevils-captain--Gambhir-to-lead

Viru quits as Daredevils captain, Gambhir to lead

STAFF WRITER 9:54 HRS IST

New Delhi, Sep 21 (PTI) Explosive opener Virender Sehwag today stepped down as the captain of Indian Premier League team Delhi Daredevils, which appointed Gautam Gambhir as his replacement.

Sehwag, who is currently nursing a shoulder injury, cited his desire to focus on his batting as the reason for stepping down.

Gambhir will now lead the side in next month's Champions League Twenty20.

"Viru has been a source of great strength and inspiration to the team. When he expressed a desire to step down in order to fully focus and concentrate on batting, we respected his decision and accepted his request," Daredevils owner GMR's chairman Srinivas Bommidala said in a statement.

Dinesh Karthik has been appointed Gambhir's deputy.

Sehwag thanked GMR for accepting his request, saying he would now solely focus on his batting.

Pintu

The Press Association: Pakistan to lodge 2014 bid

Pakistan to lodge 2014 bid

(UKPA) – 8 hours ago

The Pakistan Cricket Board will bid to host the 2014 World Twenty20, their chairman Ijaz Butt has stated.

The security situation in Pakistan has prevented teams from touring the country of late, and has also meant that Pakistan lost the right to host the 2008 Champions Trophy and the 2011 World Cup.

The Champions Trophy was moved to this year and is currently taking place in South Africa, while the ICC has moved Pakistan's share of 14 matches from the 2011 World Cup out of the country to be redistributed between co-hosts India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

Butt is currently attending the Champions Trophy in South Africa in a bid to lobby for the return of international cricket to Pakistan, and hopes that 2014 would present a viable opportunity for a major event such as the World Twenty20, which the national team won in England earlier this year.

Butt told Pakistani newspaper The News: "These coming few days are very important for Pakistan cricket. I am planning to attend some crucial meetings with the other board counterparts in an effort to muster up their support.

"The next two Twenty20 World Cups have been already been allotted.

"We would bid to host the 2014 event in Pakistan and hopefully by that time the conditions to host international events would be ideal in our country."

The ICC board is set to meet soon to discuss the composition of the next Future Tours Programme, and Butt revealed an agreement has already been reached to stage a number of series with local rivals India in the coming years.

He added: "The ICC has given guarantee for the series that would be organised after every two years. They have also accepted that the series could be organised at neutral venues until the time the situation improves in Pakistan."

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/309799_India-eyeing-Aus-defeat-to-rise-to-No-1-ODI-spot

India eyeing Aus defeat to rise to No 1 ODI spot

STAFF WRITER 19:38 HRS IST

Dubai, Oct 1 (PTI) Despite their premature exit from the Champions Trophy, India can still achieve the number one ranking in one-day internationals, provided England defeats Australia in tomorrow's semifinal.

Courtesy their thrilling last-ball win over Pakistan yesterday and the victory in the group stages against the West Indies, Australia today displaced South Africa from the top of the ICC ODI rankings.

Hosts South Africa, which entered the tournament as the numero uno side with 126 ratings points, has slipped to the third position on 121 points after suffering defeats against Sri Lanka and England.

India retained its second position but has conceded two ratings points and now sits on 124.

An Australian defeat would Ricky Ponting's men to 124 ratings points and behind India when ratings are calculated beyond the decimal point.

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/310230_Gambhir-ICC-Test-Player-of-the-year--Dhoni-ODI-Player

Gambhir ICC Test Player of the year, Dhoni ODI

STAFF WRITER 0:46 HRS IST

Johannesburg, Oct 1 (PTI) Indians shone at the International Cricket Council awards night here with captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Gautam Gambhir named as the ODI and Test Players of the Year at a glittering ceremony today.

The most coveted Cricketer of the Year Award, however, went to Australian Mitchel Johnson who had a phenomenal year with both the bat and the ball in Test and ODI crickets in the past year.

Johnson beat Dhoni, Gambhir and England captain Andrew Strauss in a four-way race for the ICC Cricketer of the Year Award.

The 27-year-old Australian fast bowler took 80 wickets from 17 matches he played in the year along with 632 valuable runs at an average of 30.09, including a century.

Pintu

MSD should have collected his awards: Gambhir - Top Stories - Cricket - SPORTS - The Times of India

MSD should have collected his awards: Gambhir
Partha Bhaduri, TNN 3 October 2009, 01:15am IST

The Champions Trophy's TRP ratings could be a casualty following India's early ouster and even quicker departure for India. And just why couldn't
the team members, especially skipper MS Dhoni, stay back a few more hours to tolerate the drab ICC Awards occasion?

Indian cricketers are past masters at protocol breaches but even Gautam Gambhir, who stayed back to collect his Test Cricketer of the Year award, couldn't resist a good-hearted jab.

Asked if he was missing Dhoni, Gambhir said, "Absolutely. Dhoni should have been here. He deserves these awards."

Dhoni won ODI Cricketer of the Year, apart from being named captain of the World ODI and World Test teams. In hindsight, maybe he made a smart move by skipping the occasion: the controversial absence from the Padma award ceremony meant Dhoni had to make two mistakes to cover up for one.

Hardly anyone to cheer

This tournament was intended to jumpstart ODI cricket's pulse but judging by the crowds at the start of the first semifinal, the patient is still in blissful coma. There were probably more people at the start of the inconsequential India-West Indies game. The crowds, in fact, have been very disappointing apart from the India-Pakistan encounter. South Africa's early ouster, no doubt, had something to do with it. It's unnerving when the PA system is louder than the cheers.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
Pakistan sack coach, captain after match-fixing alegations​

Karachi: Clouds of match fixing stormed over Pakistan cricket as captain Younis Khan and coach Intikhab Alam were sacked by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) following reports that the semifinal match of the Champions Trophy, which they lost to New Zealand by five wickets, was fixed.

Both the mainstays of the Pakistan cricket team were also said to have fixed the stage one match against Australia, throwing it away in the final overs. The loss incidentally pushed India out of the tournament.

Younis Khan had earlier said the memory of the dropped catch that cost his side a place in the Champions Trophy final would haunt him for the rest of his career. He had dropped a sitter offered by Grant Elliot, who went on to win the match for New Zealand with a 75-run knock.

Link

johnee

Its time to scrap 50 over format and start 25over two innings format. 50 overs has become really boring! Even a hyped tournament like Champions Trophy didnt do too well, in terms of viewership or crowd attendance. IPL, an indian domestic league had done much better in the same nation, South Africa.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Pak threw away Oz game to knock India out, alleges Dasti: Cricket Next

New Delhi: In a shocking revelation, Chairman of the Sports Committee of the Pakistan National Assembly has alleged that the Pakistan team deliberately lost the game to Australia to knock India out of the Champions Trophy.

"We went with a pre-determined mind to lose out the match against Australia. Our intention was to keep India out. It was a deliberate decision to lose match against India," Jamshed Ahmed Dasti told Pakistan TV channel Geo TV in an interview.

Dasti went on to claim that Pakistan also fixed the result of their semi-final match against New Zealand, which they lost by five wickets.

As is often the case, Dasti has not provided any evidence to back these claims, but has summoned the team management including the captain and the coach to discuss the matter.

.......................................................................................................................

zolpidam

The Press Association: Pakistan to lodge 2014 bid

Pakistan to lodge 2014 bid

(UKPA) – 8 hours ago

The Pakistan Cricket Board will bid to host the 2014 World Twenty20, their chairman Ijaz Butt has stated.

The security situation in Pakistan has prevented teams from touring the country of late, and has also meant that Pakistan lost the right to host the 2008 Champions Trophy and the 2011 World Cup.

The Champions Trophy was moved to this year and is currently taking place in South Africa, while the ICC has moved Pakistan's share of 14 matches from the 2011 World Cup out of the country to be redistributed between co-hosts India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.

Butt is currently attending the Champions Trophy in South Africa in a bid to lobby for the return of international cricket to Pakistan, and hopes that 2014 would present a viable opportunity for a major event such as the World Twenty20, which the national team won in England earlier this year.

Butt told Pakistani newspaper The News: "These coming few days are very important for Pakistan cricket. I am planning to attend some crucial meetings with the other board counterparts in an effort to muster up their support.

"The next two Twenty20 World Cups have been already been allotted.

"We would bid to host the 2014 event in Pakistan and hopefully by that time the conditions to host international events would be ideal in our country."

The ICC board is set to meet soon to discuss the composition of the next Future Tours Programme, and Butt revealed an agreement has already been reached to stage a number of series with local rivals India in the coming years.

He added: "The ICC has given guarantee for the series that would be organised after every two years. They have also accepted that the series could be organised at neutral venues until the time the situation improves in Pakistan."

If they will bid for world terrorism cup than I am sure they will get it and they will be world cup winner forever.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
fullstory

Russia to become improbable superpower

Moscow, Oct 6 (AFP) One can hardly doubt that Russia is a sports superpower. But the existence of a cricket league in a country, where most people can hardly distinguish cricket from croquet, is staggering.

Russia's United Cricket League (RUCL) is conducting an annual national championship with seven clubs, one of which consists of players with Russian citizenship.

Ashvani Chopra, a businessman of Indian origin, who presides over the RUCL, said the game is taking off in the country.

"In India, cricket is not just a game, it's a religion," Chopra said. "I love cricket and I want to make it popular and widely available here. Cricket is a unique game."

"We started playing here in 1995 just for fun. In 2001 we conducted a small tournament, in which three teams -- Australia, India and the selection of the rest of the world -- were playing.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
fullstory

India in Group B with England, SAfrica in 2011 WC

Johannesburg, Oct 7 (PTI) India have been placed in Group B -- along with England and South Africa -- for the 2011 World Cup in the sub-continent, the International Cricket Council (ICC) announced today after a Board meeting here.

"In Group A there will be Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Canada and Kenya. In Group B there will be India, South Africa, England, West Indies, Bangladesh, Ireland and Netherlands," the ICC said in a statement.

The meeting also approved the schedule for next year's Under-19 World Cup scheduled in January in New Zealand.

"The full schedule will be posted on the ICC website shortly," the statement read.

Apart from this, the meeting also discussed ways to promote cricket and decided to have more research on the concept of day/night Tests.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles