Court bars Facebook, others from webcasting 'anti-social' content

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by nrj, Dec 21, 2011.

1. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

In the midst of a debate on monitoring content, a Delhi court has restrained social-networking sites including Facebook, Google and Youtube from webcasting any "anti-religious" or "anti-social" content promoting hatred or communal disharmony.

Additional Civil Judge Mukesh Kumar, in an ex-parte order, directed the social networking websites to remove the objectionable content in the form photographs, videos or text which might hurt religious sentiments.

The court yesterday passed the order on a civil suit filed by Mufti Aijaz Arshad Qasmi through advocate Santosh Pandey who had also submitted the printouts of the contents.

The order comes amid a raging controversy over monitoring the content on Internet and of those websites depending on user generated contents, which arose after reports that Union Telecommunications Minister Kapil Sibal had asked the social networking websites to "screen" the contents.

The court, which entertained the petition, issued summons to 22 social networking websites asking them to respond to its notice by December 24 and directed the court staff to keep all the documents and CD provided by the petitioner in a sealed cover.

"I have gone through the record carefully wherein the plaintiff has also filed a CD containing all the defamatory articles and photographs. In my considered opinion the photographs shown by the plaintiff having content of defamation and derogation against the sentiments of every community.

"In such circumstances I am of the view that plaintiff has a prima facie case in his favour. Moreover, the balance of convenience is also against the defendants (websites) and in favour of the plaintiff.

"Moreover, if the defendant will not be directed to remove the defamatory articles and contents from the social networking websites, not only the plaintiff but every individual who is having religious sentiments would suffer irreparable loss and injury and cannot be compensated in terms of money," the judge said.

The court said on perusal of the documents provided by the plaintiff there was apprehension of mischief in the public if the alleged objectionable contents are allowed to be displayed.

Court bars Facebook, others from webcasting 'anti-social' content - India - DNA

3. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

Democracy, My A$$.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    W.G.Ewald likes this.
  4. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

Shouldn't our government build more courts to protect Muslims from Hate crime rather than protect Islam from Hate speech?
    We truly have the most dysfunctional political class.

5. nrj

This is coming from Court not GOI.

6. nrj

Defamation & abuses are not discounted with Freedom of Speech.

7. Payeng

Payeng Daku Mongol Singh

Defamation & abuses must always be controlled. Dont take my reply politically.

8. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

I agree with this judgement.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you incite hatred among Indian citizens.

9. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

To point out that irrational atavistic values are irrational atavistic vales is "Hate Speech"?
    The truth is 'Hate Speech'?

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  10. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

A regressive order which will have no impact whatsoever unless followed by clear guidelines on what constitutes "hate speech" and proper enforcement.

The pigs will fly before that happens.

11. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

Why dint the congress ban or throw ARUNDATHI ROY into jail for her anti-INDIAN comments ?

Was that not anti-SOCIAL statements ?

12. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

This order is from a Civil Judge, I do not know if it will stand scrutiny in the upper courts. In recent times we have had many of the lower courts taking up very frivolous cases and passing orders on them, only to see the higher courts overturn them.

Some of the notable cases are - Richard Gere Shilpa Shetty kiss, in TN some actress for pulled up for indecent pics in some magazine, and now SRK has been pulled up in court for posing with skimpily clad women.

13. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Lol!! Now check out how the politicos are gonna distort the definitions of hate speech.

14. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Inciting hatred is very vague a term.

I have seen a lot of anger when roads are blocked so that people can say their prayers on the road.

Would that be taken as inciting hatred or a matter of administrative convenience since the prayer area is too full to accommodate the congregation?

15. TheLord

TheLord Regular Member

There is a difference between hate speech and insult, isn't it?

Your avatar hurts my sentiments and I may go and burn my neighbourhood. Shall I file a case against you for hurting my sentiments? If I burn my neighbourhood, whom shall the law punish, me for burning the neighbourhood or you for using that avatar that caused me to burn my neighbourhood?

Param likes this.
  16. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

That is childish argument.

Insulting communities and religion is bound to create hate...everyone knows that. I despise religion so should i go on a rampage next time i see a temple, mosque, church etc ?

I see you are from tamil nadu...why was that american diplomat transferred when he said "i look like a tamilian..." did he insult or not ? should he not have freedom to express his opinion ? why was a shitstorm created ?

Going out of one's way to insult others should always be discouraged.

17. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

One shouldn't insult communities, but religion should always,always br attacked, they are a pimple on Hhuman civilization.
    He insulted a ppl, not some bronze age fairy tale.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  18. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

Good move, I have been reporting objectionable sites/blogs/channels to various Indian Agencies since 2008, for promoting terrorist, violence and social-discord inside India. I am not satisfied with the attitude of these US companies, who get edgy when anti-US or anti-Christian contents are uploaded, but stop at just warning these creatures when it comes to India.

Sites like Youtube, Facebook don't care about the laws in India, we must make them understand that if they wish to stay here, they need to respect our laws or else......:namaste:

The Messiah likes this.
  19. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

Freedom of speech is an essential part of democracy, no compromise on this right.

Param likes this.
  20. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

Blah Blah............and more Blah........
    we need policing over Internet to keep it sane...like we have it in real life.

21. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

The diplomat was woman. She did not intend to insult. It was a matter of bad phrasing. Any way it was wrong. But I do not support the "shitstorm" after that.

I guess the problem with regard to this judgement is Interpretation.
    Like the Brig said the term 'inciting hatred' is very vague. Such vague definitions can be misused by authorities to curb freedom of speech.