Countering Chinese might - Indian way

no smoking

Country flag
Some time back when an article of Chinese computer adjudged fastest in the world was posted on Pakistan defense forum, Chinese folks were over jubilant. I complemented them and wrote that you guys can enjoy that for some time until our 138 exa flop computer come in 2017. And that was a blasphemy. Chinese members collectively attacked and bullied not only me but insulted India like they always do. They called me illiterate, big mouth, etc. They posted Abdul kalam sir’s statement that India shall become a super power in 2015. One Chinese member calculated that it will require 7600 MW electricity to operate this super computer.
Firstly, Americans projected to build a ONE exaflop computer while you suggest 136 exaflop India machine, do you get alien tech?
Secondly, the first ONE exaflop supercomputer (US) supposed to come out in 2020 while you suggest that India magic machine would be ready in 2017.

No wonder those Chinese were laughing at you.

you may feel being hurt, but let me ask you: now it is already the end of 2016, any news about your 136 exaflop machine?

republic_roi97

Country flag
Firstly, Americans projected to build a ONE exaflop computer while you suggest 136 exaflop India machine, do you get alien tech?
Secondly, the first ONE exaflop supercomputer (US) supposed to come out in 2020 while you suggest that India magic machine would be ready in 2017.

you may feel being hurt, but let me ask you: now it is already the end of 2016, any news about your 136 exaflop machine?
Nope, it is going to become operational by 2020 according to recent reports, government has already allocated funds of nearly $2 billion. That news which claims it to be operational by 2017 is old.

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
Make an effort to cultivate greater ties with Southeast Asian countries like Thailand and Burma as well as Central Asian countries like Kazakhstan and Mongolia to counter China's influence in the region.

airtel

Country flag

we are not chini :biggrin2::biggrin2:, we dont copy Americans :pound::pound::pound: ...............

We invent new technologies .:india::india::india::india:

republic_roi97

Country flag
That system was to be built by 2017 if it would've started in 2012, but because funding came in 2014-15 time frame, we would have it, according to C-DAC by 2020.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Nope, it is going to become operational by 2020 according to recent reports, government has already allocated funds of nearly $2 billion. That news which claims it to be operational by 2017 is old.
May be, but claim of 136 EF was plain wrong, India was supposed to achieve 1 EF, not 136.
Check out my profile statuses for the thread.

republic_roi97

Country flag
However, a little heads up here, a littlw correction,
India is not "officially" in the race of building of exascale supercomputer. The funds have been allocated not for building exascale supercomputer, but for the research in this path. So, the race is in between China, US, Japan and Europe, India is not doing it right now.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
We should work even more on nanotech and space technologies

GTM900

With our own indigenious exaflop supercomputers may be we'll be able to design and develop our own 5th gen fighters, miniaturized thermonuclear warheads and delivery systems like HGV etc.

harsh

Country flag
To counter china only technological innovation is not enough. its a long way to go. in our country innovations are going on the right path with somewhat slow speed but accepting it a whole different thing.
Accepting the indigenous technology is a pain for some of our polticians and army persnals. even public is hell bent towards forgien maal. In this field we should learn from china.

Support for indigenous technology and making a Market for it is rare . only isro is doing it otherwise we fail to do so in every other field.
Ex arjun, missiles, lca etc.

For China numbers are more important then quality. but we cannot igore numbers or quantity. it has a large significance.

Costing low by innovation is what we are doing but we fail to decrease our cost by making a large quantity . this is where China is ahead of us.

This particular modi government is on right path but it takes time to make things normal.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Today india can transform her huge thorium reserve into fuel with this technology.
I've been hearing about this since decades! Has anything come of it? I don't think we're using Thorium anywhere for nuclear energy.

Or am I missing something here?

The Last Stand

Country flag
Instead of "Exaflop" computers (which are actually not viable right now), GoI/colleges can design a software program to enable people to connect their computers to clusters.

Most store-bought computers here come with too little RAM and storage space and too much CPU power.

There are already programs designed abroad, which you can enable or disable at will (user discretion), that help process protein structures, help with cancer research etc.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I've been hearing about this since decades! Has anything come of it? I don't think we're using Thorium anywhere for nuclear energy.

We are preparing FBRs for that. Once, they're complete, we can do that.
With our own indigenious exaflop supercomputers may be we'll be able to design and develop our own 5th gen fighters, miniaturized thermonuclear warheads and delivery systems like HGV etc.
At least HGV is not far away. We already have tested our DMRJ, HSTDV will go for flight soon.
Instead of "Exaflop" computers (which are actually not viable right now), GoI/colleges can design a software program to enable people to connect their computers to clusters.

Most store-bought computers here come with too little RAM and storage space and too much CPU power.

There are already programs designed abroad, which you can enable or disable at will (user discretion), that help process protein structures, help with cancer research etc.
That's most sane thing.:thumbsup:
India can further focus it's resources to make a huge satellite network to store internet data and make our own web, instead of using America's.

scatterStorm

Country flag
May be, but claim of 136 EF was plain wrong, India was supposed to achieve 1 EF, not 136.
Check out my profile statuses for the thread.
I was too shocked of such processing power in a few years, 136 EF is a "dreamland", achieving even 1 would be satisfying though!

IndianHawk

Country flag

Using the thorium in indigenous reactors will be the third step of nuclear program it is supposed to happen somewhere in 2030s or 40s.

FBR are the second step and we have a long way to go.

But I was reading somewhere that new reactors in the West do allow to use thorium as a mix in the fuel cycle that can minimize our dependance on imported uranium if adopted.

scatterStorm

Country flag

Agreed, with the current processing frameworks like Apache Hadoop and Spark, a Nation wide network of commodity hardware machines, we could create an efficient yet very powerful cluster grid that would widely available for all sorts of research work. That's cheap and effective, reminding me of what DARPA did with Ivy's in US in the late 70s, the ARPANET but that was just "barebones web" and no cluster computing grid.

Also Amazons AWS is also a good way to achieve this, they are giving each individual some infinite amount of scalable cloud computing processing framework at fraction of cost. Our government could partner up with amazon and we could have are very own cutting edge nation wide scalable cluster grid. Although it could be suicidal too as the research work would be hosted on there servers and this would mean that US would have access to it, I mean we all know what NSA could do, so yeah tradeoffs are tradeoffs.

I hope our prestigious colleges have answer to this. This also reminds me off my college days, when I created a 10 node commodity hardware based Beowulf cluster using open source, Linux based Ubuntu server distribution for my project work. It was a feet of achievement, at least for me :daru: but coping with node failure and load balancing was just too complex for me at that time:smash:, now thanks to Hadoop and Spark it's a piece of cake, even a 10th board student could do that now, technology is amazing theses days now!

republic_roi97

Country flag
Using the thorium in indigenous reactors will be the third step of nuclear program it is supposed to happen somewhere in 2030s or 40s.

FBR are the second step and we have a long way to go.

But I was reading somewhere that new reactors in the West do allow to use thorium as a mix in the fuel cycle that can minimize our dependance on imported uranium if adopted.
The advanced heavy-water reactor (AHWR) is the latest Indian design for a next-generation nuclear reactor that burns thorium in its fuel core. It is slated to form the third stage in India's three-stage fuel-cycle plan.[1] This phase of the fuel cycle plan is supposed to be built starting with a 300MW prototype in 2016.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_heavy-water_reactor

Now the construction of this reactor is likely to begin next year in the first 6 months. Our AHWR design is one of the very few to succeed and various levels of testing were going on from pas 1-1.5 years.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles