Could India buy land from Myanmar for better connectivity to North East ?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Why not annex Vietnam too and have a direct access to sea ?

Ontopic : Even though its sounds like a good idea, cajoling a nation to sell a part of its land for money, especially when its not in a dire need of it, doesnt seem feasible to me.
Because we will already have access to the sea since vietnam would be friendly to us.

Besides we dont want to be fighting against them specially with chinese close by. Also access to south china sea is not of much importance to India.

no smoking

Country flag
60 million people are nothing compared to the huge territorial and natural resource additions that will happen. Myanmar is a relatively resource rich country, and Nepal and Bhutan are India's cultural cultural cousins. So was China actually, until the CCP destroyed all traces of Buddhism from Chinese life.
60 million poor people is not something you can ignore. Even with huge natural resources, you still need sky high amount investments to set up necessary infrastructure.

By the way, buddhism was not a mainstream religion in China. Confucian was!

Zebra

Country flag
Lets just annex them and have a direct border with vietnam.
I am still struggling to get what you want to say.

If we just annex Myanmar after that how we can have direct border with Vietnam?

edit: Sorry, I am late, already someone posted it. :p

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
In today;'s India if you talk about a united India then people will laugh,people in India today are so dumb downed and idiotic and concerned with mundane matters that they don't think about the higher goals of life and politics.
A succesfull person is one who is expansionist.In the upanishads they say that "Oh lord let my mind expand so much that it encompassed the whole brahmand".
This expansion of spirit and mind is manifested in the form of expansion of frontiers.

So according to me in a ideal world if indians start to think and trash their coward philosophy of non-violence and become expansionist in their spirit and body then the whole subcontinent ,atleast the non-muslim countries SHOULD BE a part of India. India is not just a nation bounded by limited territorial frontiers,india is an idea,an idea in the cultural sense. India is the mother of all south asian culture.From Afghanistan to Myanmar ,these countries have been under direct influence of India for centuries. The soul of the Indian subcontinent lies in India.There is a reason it is called "Indian" subcontinent.

If India and its subcontinental childs have to reach their full potential then they will have to unite under one country which is India,the mother of them all .
Past centuries of continuous humiliation by mughals and then the british have made us forgot our heritage.Now is the time to rise,recognize and enforce this cultural unity with full force so that all Indian subcontinent can come under one political rule.This will be the true realization of potential of India.

But behold! masses of Indians are so narrow minded and timid that they will not be able to grasp this spirit of expansionism which burns in the soul of nationalists people like me.
We have to let go of timid,cowardly gandhian ideas of self determination because its a false concept.There is no such thing as self determination, the powerful always bend the system to suit itself.
If India increases it's soft power in countries like myanmar,bhutan,nepal and make them remind of our united cultural heritage then the time iwill not be far when we will be one united country.

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
Why not just annex by force the northern part of Bangladesh. And to our Chinese friends...with the exception of Vietnam, all of Southeast Asia is much more culturally linked to India/Sri Lanka than China even though many of the people originated from China and escaped because they did not want to be digested by the Han. Much later the Chinese immigrated to SE Asia in droves, especially to Thailand but the original culture is still heavily influenced by Dharmic civilization

Don't believe me...just guess where the largest Hindu temple is. Also last time I checked the King of Thailand was called Rama and the former capital Ayyuthaya.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
hahahaha with everybody ( well almost ) claiming that they were the first to suggest territory purchase from burma ....but then i'll claim that i am still the first to suggest territorial EXCHANGE with bdesh at silguri corridor area ....look at it on the maps above even on this thread , the acuteness of the strategic position and tightness and narrowness of the chicken's neck ...much more severe by far than the benefits of a connection via sea with any land bought off burma

Zebra

Country flag
hahahaha with everybody ( well almost ) claiming that they were the first to suggest territory purchase from burma ....but then i'll claim that i am still the first to suggest territorial EXCHANGE with bdesh at silguri corridor area ....look at it on the maps above even on this thread , the acuteness of the strategic position and tightness and narrowness of the chicken's neck ...much more severe by far than the benefits of a connection via sea with any land bought off burma
This sea connection will be the ideal investment for India.

It will be much more fruitful and do all good for NE India.

The list of benefits which nearly covers all the points like business, development, strategic and defense.

See the first image, the port of Eilat (Israel).....

It will do all the job for NE India, which port of Eilat do for Israel at Red sea.

Second image......

This image will give you some idea, after this sea connection that A&N will come much near to mainland India.

See the image at 'Rohingya refugee camps' mentioned in the map.

How far it is from A&N islands. Compare it with the small map, see the distance of mainland India from A&N.

It's your choice now.

Which one do you like.....?

Tronic

Considering that the entire GDP of Myanmar is just $13 billion, for the price that I quoted, the locals who do not want to be Indians, can be resettled in other parts of Myanmar with a royal compensation, to live the rest of their lives like kings, with just a small tiny part of the compensation money. I don't think locals will be a problem.

The problem might be to get the nation of Myanmar to agree to such a sale in the first place, and the second problem will be Chinese prodding. The third problem will be right-wing Bangladeshi whining and chest beating by the Khaleda-Zia asslicker gang, but we don't need to care about them...
$5 Billion is a dirt cheap price for that significant amount of land. It does not matter if their GDP is only $13 billion, that means completely nothing when we talk of a country's sovereignty. Pay them $5 billion, and they'll give you free transit rights and allow you to build a port there, but I highly doubt they would part with their land. If that was the case, China would've expanded left and right by now.

amoy

$5 Billion is a dirt cheap price for that significant amount of land. It does not matter if their GDP is only $13 billion, that means completely nothing when we talk of a country's sovereignty. Pay them $5 billion, and they'll give you free transit rights and allow you to build a port there, but I highly doubt they would part with their land. If that was the case, China would've expanded left and right by now.
Sorry to frustrate u there's something ongoing in that part of coast line Myanmar, China agree to build rail link to seaport - Yahoo! News Singapore
The completed railroad will extend to a port China is building in Myanmar's Kyaukphyu town in northwestern Rakhine. China National Petroleum Corp. already is building a 480-mile (770-kilometer) pipeline from Rakhine to Yunnan.
a Sino-Burma oil pipeline linking Burma's deep-water port of Sittwe with Kunming, capital city of China's southwestern Yunnan province.

bose

Country flag
Good, let China build the infrustructure with its money... India will put good use of it... Burma is slowly and surely getting out of China's clutch and in future expect USA to play more direct role in the region...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles