Could India buy land from Myanmar for better connectivity to North East ?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
We are probably better off dealing with the generals than with elected representatives in this matter. As things would only get complicated with politicians. Maybe... a big MAYBE.... a solution to the Rohingyas issue maybe an answer. But I dread thinking of it as an answer!
No way! No Rohangiya business. It should be purely commercial - money based transaction. If the existing demographics of that land include sizable number of Rohangiyas, we will take them in. No wholesale migration please.

I hope some babus are reading this thread and seriously take up the plan.

Tolaha

No way! No Rohangiya business. It should be purely commercial - money based transaction. If the existing demographics of that land include sizable number of Rohangiyas, we will take them in. No wholesale migration please.

I hope some babus are reading this thread and seriously take up the plan.
I am not suggesting any migration. Just informing that the area under consideration may be heavily populated with the Rohingyas. Even in the case that this strip of land may not currently have many Rohingyas, once India starts these discussions, that land will naturally get heavily populated with the people whom nobody wants!

Nevertheless, an excellent idea and hopefully it gets executed. Maybe some of our North East members can say something on this topic.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sounds good but I don't think it will happen for many reasons.

1) even if the GDP of myanmar is $50 billion, they cannot be expects to be bought over.
2) the local population may not like it and we will have an insurgency to deal with.
3) security of the area will be an issue.

Actually india could well have done this kind of a deal with Bangladesh and got Chittagong which was anyways a surprise handover to Pakistan during partition.

Guess what, pay the likes of Geelani and co and ask them to get out too!!

Zebra

Country flag
In worst case......try to get nearly 200 kms of land from both the sides of this red marked border.

In return India can offer the same size of land some where and money on top of it.

What say....?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Lets just annex them and have a direct border with vietnam.
Myanmar was part of British India until 10 years before India achieved independence. They should actually be part of India.

I think we keep coming back to this, I know all our politicians are pussies and have zero strategic vision, but if India manages to really live up to its growth potential, in a decade we will be in a position to offer a "Union of Indian Democratic Republics" to Nepal, Bhutan, SL and Myanmar (maybe even Bangladesh too, if they dropped their hostile attitudes).

no smoking

Country flag
Myanmar was part of British India until 10 years before India achieved independence. They should actually be part of India.

I think we keep coming back to this, I know all our politicians are pussies and have zero strategic vision, but if India manages to really live up to its growth potential, in a decade we will be in a position to offer a "Union of Indian Democratic Republics" to Nepal, Bhutan, SL and Myanmar (maybe even Bangladesh too, if they dropped their hostile attitudes).
If india becomes a rich country in 10 years, indian people will oppose that idea! Who wants another 60 millions people to share his benefits?

no smoking

Country flag
Considering that the entire GDP of Myanmar is just $13 billion, for the price that I quoted, the locals who do not want to be Indians, can be resettled in other parts of Myanmar with a royal compensation, to live the rest of their lives like kings, with just a small tiny part of the compensation money. I don't think locals will be a problem.

The problem might be to get the nation of Myanmar to agree to such a sale in the first place, and the second problem will be Chinese prodding. The third problem will be right-wing Bangladeshi whining and chest beating by the Khaleda-Zia asslicker gang, but we don't need to care about them...
Myanmar is a poor country, but it doesn't know the value of their land. If there is any resource buried down there, $5b would be a peanut!

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
If india becomes a rich country in 10 years, indian people will oppose that idea! Who wants another 60 millions people to share his benefits?
60 million people are nothing compared to the huge territorial and natural resource additions that will happen. Myanmar is a relatively resource rich country, and Nepal and Bhutan are India's cultural cultural cousins. So was China actually, until the CCP destroyed all traces of Buddhism from Chinese life.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
60 million people are nothing compared to the huge territorial and natural resource additions that will happen. Myanmar is a relatively resource rich country, and Nepal and Bhutan are India's cultural cultural cousins. So was China actually, until the CCP destroyed all traces of Buddhism from Chinese life.
The Burmese are also our cultural cousins, albeit not as close as Nepal or Bhutan. The problem is that Burmese territory has never been part of a greater "Indian" empire, besides the British Raj which was not an indigenous state and greatly disadvantaged the Burmese (even more so than the average Indian). In fact, the Burmese themselves once ruled large parts of what is now Northeast India. The Burmese have their own history and a strong sense of ethnic nationalism, so I am not sure if many will accept joining a Greater India. The only possibility might be if India becomes the semi-official "thakedar" of Buddhism and uses that to its advantage, since the Burmese are very staunch Buddhists, but that is extremely unlikely.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The Burmese are also our cultural cousins, albeit not as close as Nepal or Bhutan. The problem is that Burmese territory has never been part of a greater "Indian" empire, besides the British Raj which was not an indigenous state and greatly disadvantaged the Burmese (even more so than the average Indian). In fact, the Burmese themselves once ruled large parts of what is now Northeast India. The Burmese have their own history and a strong sense of ethnic nationalism, so I am not sure if many will accept joining a Greater India. The only possibility might be if India becomes the semi-official "thakedar" of Buddhism and uses that to its advantage, since the Burmese are very staunch Buddhists, but that is extremely unlikely.
^^It may happen though if India declares itself a Buddhist Soviet Empire, eh? :taunt:

nimo_cn

Country flag
People from south Asia should read this.

Sent from my T8830 using Tapatalk 2

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^^Don't be a typical Chinese and spill our secrets to our neighbours! :lol: Let's just agree to consider East Asia as China's sphere of influence and South Asia as India's, kapish? :)

KS

Bye bye DFI
Lets just annex them and have a direct border with vietnam.
Why not annex Vietnam too and have a direct access to sea ?

Ontopic : Even though its sounds like a good idea, cajoling a nation to sell a part of its land for money, especially when its not in a dire need of it, doesnt seem feasible to me.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Actually that made sense.

@KU...Bangladeshis...?? :dude:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
People from south Asia should read this.

Sent from my T8830 using Tapatalk 2
So? At least we are offering money for the land, and not trying to lay claim to land based on centuries old historical maps and documents like the Chinese do. What is the problem?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
What is the precedent for such a proposal? In the US they would go back to the early and mid- 19th century (Louisiana Purchase & "Seward's Folly").

Louisiana Purchase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alaska Purchase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Alaska purchase is one of the most famous precedents that comes to mind. No one could have envisaged at the time of the purchase, that there would be an ideology called communism that would engulf Russia in a few decades. Yet, the US made that purchase with great foresight. Americans of the 20th century should thank their ancestors for having the foresight and vision to make such a purchase.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I think this would be a god sent gift for NE and the whole India in turn.
Though sadly our political circles lack the will power to plunge in. But who got anything ever by shying from plunging in? :(
Lets make as much noise as possible so it gets into the mainstream chatter and eventually to the near deaf Govt ears :D
The matter is relayed to our FB page as well.

Regards,
Virendra

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles