Could India buy land from Myanmar for better connectivity to North East ?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I remember discussing this on the SB some weeks back, but I just thought that this merits a thread of its own, on a forum like DFI:

I think we should negotiate with Mynamar to purchase this strip of land marked in red below:

I think purchasing this bit of land will be useful to India in more ways than one. The US purchased Alaska decades back, and when the cold war began, they might have thanked their stars that their forefathers acted with such foresight.

The Myanmar GDP is around $13.1 billion - for the entire nation. I think it is worth offering Myanmar $5 billion, if not more, for this land.

The advantages, as I see it, are immense. I need not enumerate them in this forum, it is obvious to everyone here.

A massive naval base and port city can be the starting point for development on that patch of land. Massive highways and train lines linking the said port city to the North East will be the next step.

I have not delved deep into the details of demography and topography on that strip of land, and the path leading up to N-E India from there. But I think it is a worthwhile investment, no matter what the conditions are. Technology and industry can overcome whatever problems one might encounter there.

ani82v

Country flag
Myanmar will not warm up to this idea on China's prodding.

Phenom

Asians culturally are far more attached to their lands than Westerners. Its very unlikely that any govt in Myanmar would agree to sell part of their country for cash. Plus there are problems with the locals living there, they may not like being ruled from Delhi than from Nyapidaw (or something).

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Asians culturally are far more attached to their lands than Westerners. Its very unlikely that any govt in Myanmar would agree to sell part of their country for cash. Plus there are problems with the locals living there, they may not like being ruled from Delhi than from Nyapidaw (or something).
Considering that the entire GDP of Myanmar is just $13 billion, for the price that I quoted, the locals who do not want to be Indians, can be resettled in other parts of Myanmar with a royal compensation, to live the rest of their lives like kings, with just a small tiny part of the compensation money. I don't think locals will be a problem.

The problem might be to get the nation of Myanmar to agree to such a sale in the first place, and the second problem will be Chinese prodding. The third problem will be right-wing Bangladeshi whining and chest beating by the Khaleda-Zia asslicker gang, but we don't need to care about them...

Tolaha

Hey!!!! This is my idea! :D

I had posted this a some time back in DFI. And I had marked it way better than Bangalorean has done above! :p

Advantages, as you said are immense. Just the thing for the rapid economic development of North East... a gateway to the Bay of Bengal and to the world itself. All the North Eastern states should be connected by a express corridor for both road and rail which eventually leads to the port at the Bay of Bengal.

Tolaha

One little problem though! We have a bunch of Rohingyas to deal with! :whistle: But hell.... we should be able to accommodate anyone if it benefits our North East!

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Sittwe Port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sittwe Port is a deepwater port under construction by India since 2010 in Sittwe, the capital of Rakhine State in Myanmar, on the Bay of Bengal.

The proposal for the Kaladan Multi-modal Transit Transport Project was conceived by India, primarily to provide an alternative route to India's landlocked northeastern states
. The only access to these seven states is through the Siliguri Corridor, a narrow strip of Indian territory wedged between China and Bangladesh. Routing all cargo destined for the northeast through this corridor causes significant transportation delays and cost overheads. [/B]India attempted negotiating with Bangladesh since the 1970s for transit access from the Bay of Bengal to these states, but was repeatedly denied access by the latter.

An agreement on the project was signed between the governments of India and Myanmar in April 2009.[1] The contract for the construction for the Sittwe port was awarded to the Essar Group of India. The USD 120 Million port is being funded through a long-term interest-free credit line from India. Construction started in 2010, and is expected to be completed by June 2013.[3]

[map]Sittwe, Rakhine, Burma to Kolkata, West Bengal[/map]

drkrn

people should not forget Bangladesh factor.
the map above calls in for a complete encircling of their landmass which will give a negative sense among common bangla people

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
the map above calls in for a complete encircling of their landmass which will give a negative sense among common bangla people
Frankly, I don't see why we should worry about "Bangladesh factor". Seeing the way they behave towards India and their notorious right-wing Khaleda Zia and her asslickers, I have no sympathy for Bangladesh.

If Myanmar can be persuaded to sell the land, Bangladesh can take a hike. We should just make sure that the BD-India border is completely double-fenced with electrified barbed wire, every square inch of it.

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag

Don't you think since 47, we had wasted too much time just for thinking about benefits of our neighbors only.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Don't you think since 47, we had wasted too much time just for thinking about benefits of our neighbors only.
Exactly. Even then, I would not mind thinking about benefits of Nepal and Bhutan, even Myanmar. But I see no reason to think about the benefits of Bangladesh and Pakistan, and to a lesser extent, SL.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Leasing of land would be a better idea then say buying it ;)

Tolaha

We are probably better off dealing with the generals than with elected representatives in this matter. As things would only get complicated with politicians. Maybe... a big MAYBE.... a solution to the Rohingyas issue maybe an answer. But I dread thinking of it as an answer!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles