Corruption is a reflection of elementary deficit of character in society

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Vyom, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Generally, when we see a popular issue like corruption, the propensity is to center on merely its societal causation and while it enables us to reform the legislation that collectively affects the society, somewhere we lose focus of the fundamental causation of this social scourge, or for that matter any other. Bringing a legislation to impose stringent checks for arresting corruption is only one part of the solution, and in fact a little far from being the first solution. A legislation is merely a preventive step to ensure that no one does what they are not suppose to do. But if people, uneducated and more dangerously the educated, are lured to commit illegal acts either by their own will or under a compulsion, then it is not merely a legislation that we can rely upon and sit back to say we have done what was most needed. Then we are failing to realize what is most needed and no legislation can ever be a solution to that.

It is most vital for us to realize that any social evil pertains directly to the state of mind of the general populace. And if corruption is rampant in society it is definitely a reflection of character deficit of the people in general or in majority. Now as I mentioned, corruption can either be committed willingly or under some compulsion. The latter is quite diverse if categorized under different reasons. The most compulsive reason could be the reason of survival itself. Another reason could be the reason of convenience over trivial matters, and yet another reason could be saving yourself from hardship or pain of going through a legitimate process. Now if it is the question of survival, then usually it is the collective issue of the society - lack of employment, burden of loan, etc., which we can and must address collectively. If it is the question of convenience or saving oneself from hardship then it is a matter of personal reform and lack of character-centered education. And if it is the case of willingly committing corruption then the last solution is a strong anti-corruption law.

But in all these cases, except perhaps in the matter of survival, we can see that the fundamental reason is the weakness of character, and weakness of the character of the people in general is a definite sign of the weakness of the society and the weakness of the nation. And since that is the case, we need a tidal wave of personal and character reform in this country.

But what kind of personal and character reforms? And what should be the approach to implement them? Before we come to the answers of these questions, it is imperative to classify knowledge. And the way I do it is fairly simple. The first is what I call the Core Knowledge consisting of the spiritual wisdom, the set of universal principles of personal conduct and the fundamental knowledge of the nature of the world. Rest everything is what I call Auxiliary Knowledge.

Now while the third component of the Core Knowledge is beyond the scope of this piece of writing, let me emphasize the vitality of the first two. Spiritual wisdom deals with the bigger picture of our being. It transcends mundane concepts of life and looks at its much greater and broader scope, but since it is inevitably tied to the fundamental knowledge of the nature of the world, I cannot talk about in any detail either.

However, we can and must talk about the universal principles of personal conduct. They are fairly simple and comes naturally to those who listen to their conscience. They would be like - you should not do others what you don't want others to do to you. You should think beyond yourself because you live in a society and not vice-versa, and so on an so forth. The spiritual wisdom and the knowledge of the nature of this world prepares the fundamental ground as to why these universal principles of personal conducts are exactly required and why exactly they need to be followed. And that is because, the fundamental truth is that any person actually and naturally should be bothered about themselves and themselves alone, and that is their primary dharma as well, but God has made this world in a way that if you want yourself to benefit then you must do so through others.

Now the problem with our society is that we have crushed the core knowledge in the race of gaining auxiliary knowledge, and their lies both our problem and solution. If we want to address the fundamental causes of all the social evils we must reverse this trend. Bring the focus on the core knowledge and let it be explicitly known which is more important in our life and what should be the basis of every actions that we perform in this world.

The personal and character reforms, hence, are associated with this much needed reverse of trend. The reforms are convergence of spiritual wisdom, scientific knowledge and voices of one's true self. These reforms are extensive and might be surprising for a lot of us, but if we want to evolve as a society we must start walking towards them, otherwise we very much risk falling into the abyss from where the possibility of attaining a virtuous society may not be possible.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
    A chauhan and Daredevil like this.
  3. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

You have just posted what i have been spouting in the anna thread.

4. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

This is inadequate and oversimplified commentary on a subject that is far more complex. For one, designating spirituality as the "core" and everything else as "auxiliary" is obtuse. Members of a functional society need a whole lot more than spirituality to maintain core functionality, personal and societal.

While the spiritual conscience certainly seems to play a part in overall social sense it is merely one aspect of a larger collective. The benevolent ethos of a society shares a greater connection with structural issues like education, fair wealth distribution, and the overall societal prosperity; in short modernity. This is why developed nations possess a more ethically sensitive society where the sense of social morality is more prevalent. This doesn't necessarily mean that developed nations are more spiritual. Japan for instance has a high sense of spirituality, however Scandinavians and vast swaths of Europe and the United States have populations that shy away from spirituality. Yet both of them have highly functional societies with a greater "moral sense" and lower levels of corruption.

The genesis and prevalence of corruption in India can be traced to a complex set of reasons ranging from the cultural practice of social inequality to the institutionalization of corruption through a condescending, overbearing, inefficient and non responsive system of governance (primarily under the tutelage of Indira Gandhi).

Spirituality in itself is unlikely to solve any problems of a society.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  5. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Oversimplified? I don't think so, I touched upon the core issues as briefly as I could. Now let us go point by point.

If people are affected by the extraneous and material element of their being, and not by the knowledge they may be given, then that is not morality, that is sheer opportunism. It is more like saying I will be moral if the world is moral, otherwise not.

If they have greater moral sense, then actually they are more spiritual. It seems you need to dig deeper here. And you cannot quantify whether they are more moral or less moral than us, or for that matter any such comparison between two societies is not a wise idea.

Moreover, it would be folly to think there is no corruption of character there. Would you say that if given the opportunity a European would be less prone to earn millions or billions than an Indian?

In this article, my emphasis was on the corruption of character that leads to the corruption of society, everything else is just an excuse.

I would say dig deeper into its meaning. Perhaps you ought to understand that a foundation is needed for everything to stand properly on its feet, and if that foundation is fragile, then the rest always wobbles during its existence, for whatever superficial remedy you provide.

6. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

My emphasis in this thread is on the core issue of all social afflictions, greatest of them being corruption. Corruption, in certain cases, could be more cruel than murder itself. It could be backstabbing the whole nation, anti-national to the extreme and all such acts according to the laws deserve capital punishment.

7. Virendra

Virendra Moderator Moderator

All the out cry is on politicians corruption while we know its sitting deep and wide inside our society.
    I mean doctors, engineers, babus, managers, directors, lawyers all of us are a party in it but why blame politicians? There's a reason to it.
    People among us in various occupations have made their own place in the society by sheer hard work and ability cutting across the competition. There is a sense of justification that they deserve to make the most of it (not that I advocate it), while on the other hand the politicians sit on the throne by the vote the same people gave them and hence with the donor ego we all point fingers at them as if them politicians were the most wretched creatures. Because it pinches more when politicians do it, we think they don't qualify to do it.
    While in reality they may be just a part of the mob indulged in this nation wide mass practice.

Regards,
    Virendra

8. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

^^ More importantly if the leaders do it, then without any doubt the nation is in an extremely deep mess. An individual doctor or a lawyer can affect only a handful of people and that too is mostly manageable in life, but if corruption runs deep in all sections of the leadership, it makes the whole nation vulnerable and weak from within, and nothing less than a mass movement could then rectify the problem. The competition among politicians to gain power and remain in power raises the stake of money involved, and it grows and grows until it reaches the nadir, which is what has happened with 2G, CWG, PDS, etc.

Remember also that people tend to follow what they see is quite normal in the work culture of people above them. The politicians as leaders set examples, both good and bad, for the people in general. If suppose one day they wake up as angels, then everyone else would also follow swiftly.