Copters, long-range missiles on Defence Minister’s Russia agenda

Kshatriya87

Country flag
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...ce-ministers-russia-agenda/article7820152.ece

Acquisition of long-range air defence systems and two different kinds of helicopters are among the top issues on the agenda of Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar’s three-day visit to Russia beginning on Saturday. These agreements are likely to be signed during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Russia in December.

According to officials, India is interested in procuring S-400 Surface-to-Air Missiles (SAM) from Russia, which have a range of up to 400 km. Also, negotiations are expected to be wrapped up to build Kamov-226 T utility helicopters in India and buy additional Mi-17 V5 medium lift helicopters.

“They may not take a final shape during my visit but we’d like to prepare some of them for Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Russia in December — for example, the project for joint production of Kamov Ka-226 helicopters… Also, the purchase of S-400 missile systems. We anticipate these projects to be coordinated by next month,” Mr. Parrikar said in an interview to a Russian news agency.

He is in Russia to chair the annual Intergovernmental Commission on Military-Technical Cooperation meeting along with his Russian counterpart Sergei Shoigu.

“I hope to use my visit to have it inked on paper when the Prime Minister arrives,” he said.

However, on the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) to be jointly developed by India and Russia, Mr. Parrikar said that negotiations would proceed further, but added, “We have halted ourselves to establish things clear in our minds.”

Talks on the final production agreement have been stalled due to differences in work share for the Indian side.

Projects approved
Meanwhile, the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), which met on Thursday, approved some long-pending deals, procurements and upgrades worth over Rs.12,000 crore but deferred a decision on the blacklisting procedures revised under the new Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP).

Some of the major decisions include clearance for engine and avionic upgrades for the Air Force’s fleet of IL-76 transport and IL-78 mid-air refuelling aircraft for Rs. 4,300 crore, approval to digitise the 24 Pichora Surface-to-Air Missile systems at Rs. 1,800 crore, two new regiments of Pinaka Multi-Barrel Rocket launch systems at Rs. 3,300 crore and 149 more BMP-2 Infantry vehicles for the Army.

For the Navy, approval was accorded to issue Acceptance of Necessity for four 3,500-tonne Multi-Purpose Vessels costing Rs. 700 crore to replace the existing tug boats.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Halted? This is a truly unfortunate turn things have taken. The prototypes are being tested and getting rave reviews from experts around the world. And India is halting the deal over some work share deal? Something tells me that this is the handiwork of an intelligence agency, trying to kill this deal and push the third class F35.

Country flag
This is probably bargaining on both sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bahamut

Any news on MTA.Last checked it was to have its test flight in early 2016.What about the propose building of sukio super jet in India and additional maintenance facility for Su 30.

Bahamut

Halted? This is a truly unfortunate turn things have taken. The prototypes are being tested and getting rave reviews from experts around the world. And India is halting the deal over some work share deal? Something tells me that this is the handiwork of an intelligence agency, trying to kill this deal and push the third class F35.
IAF wanted to fly the jet and all the performance while the Russian are saying that there are some minor changes to be done and then the IAF get to fly these jet to know the capability.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
IAF wanted to fly the jet and all the performance while the Russian are saying that there are some minor changes to be done and then the IAF get to fly these jet to know the capability.
Ok. So what is the way out of this mess?

Bahamut

Ok. So what is the way out of this mess?
That what they going to talk about.I think IAF might get its wish to fly but on the Russian airspace but it might take some time due to selection of test pilot and training, or some under table deal like get full access to the test result to a clearer picture which is a secret but i think its will be solved one way or another .Our AMCA is going to get a lot of tech form this aircraft like engine ,radar,thermal sensor etc,plus we have spend a lot on it and only other alternative is F 35 is not even the same class.HAL ability to add to the aircraft is going very limited ,this was more for them to learn the basic after the disaster LCA so IAF has a fear that jet might be suited to Russian need and wanted to test any get a rough idea what they want improved in design.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
I see @Bahamut .
I also heard that there were talk of IAF getting single seaters at first since the double seaters would take time to arrive, considering those prototypes have not been built yet, as far as I know. I may be mistaken.
This would perhaps require changes in the operational doctrine of the IAF, which does not believe in single seaters.
However, I always wonder, with an advanced fighter craft like T50, why the iAF emphasis on two seaters? Surely it can do well with one seaters if the Russian AF can.

Bahamut

I see @Bahamut .
I also heard that there were talk of IAF getting single seaters at first since the double seaters would take time to arrive, considering those prototypes have not been built yet, as far as I know. I may be mistaken.
This would perhaps require changes in the operational doctrine of the IAF, which does not believe in single seaters.
However, I always wonder, with an advanced fighter craft like T50, why the iAF emphasis on two seaters? Surely it can do well with one seaters if the Russian AF can.
Two pilot means effective distribution of load in long range combat and better combat awareness but comes at a price of performance and stealth .May be IAF want test the effectiveness of the so called electronic pilot in PAKFA and then decide the no of double seater and how to use single seater.Also double seater can be used in dead penetration operation as the is more combat awareness ,single seater for air dominance and less demanding bombing.RuAF will also have 2 seater but no no yet.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles