Convert to Islam, bypass bigamy laws

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by NikSha, Jun 21, 2009.

1. NikSha

NikSha Regular Member

TOI

Most people famously proclaim that love is their religion, but there are some who use religion for love. Perhaps one such is Haryana's former deputy chief minister Chander Mohan, who became Chand Mohammed to marry his new love Anuradha Bali.

Mohan was with Seema Bishnoi, his wife of 13 years, when he met and fell in love with Bali. The Hindu Marriage Act 1955 does not allow a man to take a second wife so Mohan converted to Islam. So did Bali. Both dropped their Hindu names and assumed Muslim ones.

She became Fiza Parveen. And thus began a salacious soap opera played out before the media - Mohan abandons Fiza, who attempts suicide. She accuses him of playing with her sentiments and using religion to make a mockery of her love. He returns to Bishnoi, then dramatically goes back to Fiza. Was religion used and abused to commit adultery?

It is not the first time a high-profile Hindu couple has converted to Islam to 'marry' even though the first wife is alive. More than two decades ago, film stars Dharmendra and Hema Malini married secretly. Women activists protested against the "illegal" marriage. Dharmendra, they pointed out, was already married and had teenaged children. But in order to give legitimacy to his union with Hema Malini, the couple had converted to Islam.

Advocate and activist Neelofar Akhtar says that such conversions and marriages are made worse because they both are a "sham". She points out that "there are no strict laws to register a conversion (so) people are misusing the religion to have more than one wife. In all Muslim countries, there are very stringent rules if a man wants to take a second wife". But in India "it is done this easily. There is need for a regulatory body to monitor such misuse."

Akhtar makes a good point. In 1995, the Supreme Court ruled in the Sarla Mudgal case that under the Hindu Marriage Act 1955, a Hindu husband cannot marry a second time simply by embracing Islam without lawfully dissolving the first marriage. He would be guilty of bigamy, the Court ruled.

V Mohini Giri, chairperson of the social service organization Guild of Service and former head of the National Commission for Women, says, "Dharmendra's wife Prakash Kaur could have fought her case in court. But, like most Indian women who have been conditioned to ultimately accept their husbands' mistakes, she didn't complain and the controversy died down". Giri has been trying to close a loophole that allows a Hindu man to have more than one wife by simply converting.

"There is a law now that all marriages should be registered, regardless of religion. However, that is not being properly implemented. While we know of only high-profile cases like that of a married Raj Babbar tying the knot with Smita Patil, there are scores of ordinary women who have been abandoned by their husbands who have misused Islam," she says.

Akhtar says the only change is that "women are becoming more financially independent and aware of their rights".

She says forgotten first wives now "gather the courage to divorce their husbands or at least ask for maintenance if they remarry".

Change of a sort then. But not enough.

I remember reading about the new law in great detail a long time ago. Why isn't registration of marriages made compulsory irrespective of religion? Are only Hindu's supposed to follow the law of this country or what? Making laws is easy but these people usually don't have balls to enforce them on more than Hindu's in the end.

3. Known_Unknown

Known_Unknown Devil's Advocate Stars and Ambassadors

What law? Civil laws are different for every community in India. Hindus, Christians and Muslims, I believe all have their own laws.

4. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

WOW! I like the offer. There is another offer, convert to christianity, you get money and retain your caste reservation!
    I am still pondering over which one to choose, while simultaneously wondering why the Hindus still persist with the Hinduism(and live like second class citizens).

5. Arjak

Arjak Respected Member

SO MUCH FOR UNITED SECULAR INDIA!!!!!:noo1:

6. Known_Unknown

Secular in India means pandering to the religious sentiments of everyone. :D

7. johnee

Does that mean pandering to religious superstitions and traditions as well(that are outdated in the modern world)?

If that is so, then why is dowry illegal? Why is caste system illegal? Why is bigamy illegal for a Hindu?(Hinduism does allow bigamy).

Govt drives for reforms in Hinduism through their laws. So, the question is: why is it only restricted to Hindus? Why are similar reforms not encouraged(by making laws) in Islam per say(for instance, making bigamy illegal)?

8. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

votebank johnee Votebank the strongest piller of the "seculer" System

9. youngindian

youngindian Senior Member Senior Member

cheap vote bank politics

10. Known_Unknown

Are you fighting for your right to have two wives as a Hindu or are you really trying to reform the laws for minorities here? I can't see you actually fighting for reform of the Muslim law system, so I assume you have a vested interest in the former. :p

11. johnee

I am 'fighting' against discrimination by the Indian Law and hypocrisy of our political system! I want it to be level playing field for everyone. That means either abolish bigamy altogether OR give everone a right to bigamy. :D

12. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

There is no need to reform the Muslim law system in this issue because its clearly against the tenets of Islam .The real problem are those who are using Islam for thier needs .

Besides Chander Mohan and Anuradha Bali, Bollywood stars Dharmendra and Hema Malini had also secretly embraced Islam only to marry for the second time and gave their marriage a legal cover. Now, Dharmendra and Hema Malini remain a happily wed couple but never accepted Islam as their religion though being married only after embracing Islam. It may be recalled that there are several Hindu couples that married for the second time without divorcing their first wife or embracing Islam. Second marriage of Bollywood stars is a case in point. Raj Babbar married Smita Patil despite being already married to Zaheera, daughter of a widely respected Muslim poet-scholar. Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan’s second marriage is also another example. Paswan married for a second time without divorcing his first wife. The first wife is a Dalit, the caste that Paswan belongs to, while his second wife follows the Sikh religion. In yet another instance according to the BBC report of 9th February, 20-year-old Sabra Ahmadzai from Afghanistan left her parents home in November last year and is now in India for the past six weeks to trace her husband Major Chandshekhar Pant. Sabra worked as a Hindi translator in a hospital in Kabul and met Major Pant, a doctor in the Indian Army. Major Pant converted to Islam and married Sabra. After marriage Sabra could only spend fifteen days together with Major Pant when he was transferred back to India. Sitting at the shrine of Hazrat Nizamuddin in New Delhi with her hands clasped in prayers Sabra says, "He promised to return with his parents and left. In six months he only called me three times, and in his last call he told me Sabra you are young and you can marry again - I have two kids and a wife from before." Sabra recently met Major Pant now on posting in his hilly hometown of Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand. She has registered an anti-bigamy case against Major Pant and has vowed to pursue this case to logical end till justice is done to her. The Army has also so far not taken any action whatsoever against Major Pant to set the record straight.

13. peacecracker

peacecracker Regular Member

The Original Post is So true.So ,what India needs at this time is ,***UNIFORM CIVIL CODE*** Implemented or say ENFORCED.This can also bring down the population explosion to a certain extent.

panduranghari likes this.
  14. A.V.

A.V. New Member

AS A RULE WE DO NOT DISCUSS RELIGION ON dfi <THIS IS A DEFENCE FORUM AND WE DISCUSS ONLY DEFENCE MATTERS >BUT THE THREAD WILL BE KEPT OPEN TILL THE DISCUSSIONS ARE RATIONAL AND CIVILIZED IF THE BOUNDARIES ARE CROSSED SUCH THREADS WITH A RELIGIOUS BACKGROUND WILL BE CLOSED BY THE MODS

15. venkat

venkat Regular Member

Johnee captain! you look yummy in your new avataar! !

16. johnee

I didnt get your point. Is Bigamy compulsory in Islam? If not, how is abolishing bigamy against the tenets of Islam?

PS: Venkat, stay away from me!:blum3:

17. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

The way to stop something like this would be to have a system in place for registering conversions. Also a law being passed that if a person coverts from one religion to the other, then certain "benefits" that come along can be used only after a certain cooling period, say 5 years. So if someone wants to convert from Hindu to Muslim to take advantage of the polygamy law, they will have to keep off for the cooling period.
    Also, a check should be made if they actually are adhering to the tenets of the converted religion. If someone has coverted to Islam, then there should be a test conducted on him if he knows how to read the Quran in it's Arabic form, knows Namaz or not. Only then he should be given a certificate of conversion after which he is declared a convert.
    Thus would go a long way in dealing with such problems.

18. johnee

Wouldnt that be repulsive to potential converters? :wink:
    And btw, you are forgetting that India has corruption(to biblical levels). Producing relevant certificates would be no prob to prove that the person adheres to Islam.
    More importantly, what is the business of the Govt, if a person adheres to his new religion or not. Lets say he doesnt, then what will govt do?

As for your idea of cooling period, now thats a innovative idea. But you would find enough people protesting against such a law as it is 'against the tenets of Islam'.

Finally, why this round about way? Why not simply abolish bigamy(if the Govt considers it a social evil), otherwise simply leave it to communities to decide whether bigamy should be allowed. Why have one set of rules for community and other set for others? This amounts to religious discrimination by the Govt of India. That means that India is not secular.

19. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Uniform civil code is not the topic of this thread. One already exists for that.
    But no Qazi or priest will give a certificate of adherence. He will make sure that the person is actually sincere in his coversion.
    If my idea will be repulsive, then good. Only those sincere will convert.

20. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

polygyny is not compulsory in Islam and its comes under Mubah which means allowed but there are certain terms which are required for it .Abolishing bigamy would lead to sex outside marraiges .

Broadly, Islam has five categories of Do’s and Don’ts:

‘Fard’ i.e. compulsory or obligatory

‘Mustahab’ i.e. recommended or encouraged

‘Mubah’ i.e. permissible or allowed

‘Makruh’ i.e. not recommended or discouraged

‘Haraam’ i.e. prohibited or forbidden

21. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

It ought to be compulsory irresp of social status, econmic status, religion etc.

So hindus are following the law of this country, and rest are all law breakers. Nice. Ever stepped out of your house, atheist ?

May I point you towards the caste laws monsieur ?

Certain communities like the sikhs, jains are clubbed with Hindus for eg.

If some communities would like to follow their religious traditions which don't impinge on others rights than why not ?

Which school of Hinduism ? The one that proposes Brahmacharya ? or the one that says one is supposed to be married after the age of 25, and copulate with his wife only 10 times for the next 25 years of the married life ?

THe elected Govt drives reforms in such cases which have popular mandate.

Why is what restricted to Hindus ? Most schools of Hinduism are anti-thetical to each other.
    Whereas Muslims are united in their demand for an Islamic civil code that alleviates their concerns as they are a minority.

True. except for atheists I think.

and get burnt to death if you are living in rural areas of Orissa by zealots.

Which Hinduism ? The one that says brahmacharya and renunciation ?

File a PIL. I am sure hon SC will do the needful.