Conversion row hits posh St Stephen’s College in Delhi

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Manas7, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Manas7

Manas7 Regular Member

Conversion row hits posh St Stephen’s College in Delhi involving Principal Valson Thampu | The Financial Express

hit&run likes this.
  3. Manas7

Manas7 Regular Member

According to some of the media reports, St. Stephens Principal Dr. Valson Thampu has been accused of trying to convert one of the staffers of the college. The staffer, Shubh Kumar Das is an administrative officer in St. Stephens. Das, a Brahmin and native of Odisha claims in a letter to the Principal dated 31st October, “I was induced for conversion by you (principal) in beginning of the year 2014 which I had taken serious objection to and pleaded with you not to force me for conversion. Your wife came to my residence and told my wife in evening hour not to disclose this matter as it may tarnish your image.”

Das claims that he has been threatened by the principal of grave consequences if he didn’t oblige to converting to Christianity.

On the other hand, Dr. Valson Thampu has refuted the entire allegation made by Das, saying that Das has a problem of alcoholism. Moreover, Thampu says that Das has been suspended over “gross misconduct” and is now playing the “the communal card to take advantage of what he perceives as a favorable climate”.

According to the principal, “He doesn’t drink regularly, but he slips into a certain spell of drinking. He himself confessed this to me six weeks ago.”

Valson Thampu, who has been Stephen’s principal since 1973 said “Anybody can make allegations but that doesn’t mean they are all true.”

“I have not converted anyone or discussed religion with anyone. My stand on conversion is in public domain.” Added Thampu.

4. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I seriously doubt this is true.

5. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

I saw one of the pseudo secularist on a different forum putting the blame back on Hindus because they do not approach police on alleged force full conversions. Here we go we have got a real case now.

rock127 likes this.
  6. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Did anyone see in that Agra Video people doing 'Havan' at the gun point or anything that suggests people are under stress of some force? When those people were sitting there voluntary, the whole opposition and media screamed forceful conversion. No one dropped a word to raises the doubt on those allegations. Why should not Hindus reject or ignore or not let these doubts be heard by the same screams.

I hope Hindu groups protest outside the Principle's house who looks highly suspicious to me, who may have been doing such deeds before. The poor guy who has made a complaint might have got strength due to opposing voices are now surfacing which were never allowed to surface before.

The complainant must be provided security and asked not to talk to media because now they will try to put words in his mouth and twist his comments to serve the agenda.

I hope there is an FIR registered and matter be presented before the court.

7. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

Catholicism is liberal! Since when? Can someone please iterate their stance on gays or women priests or contraception?

If this is true, this guy needs to be made a example out of and with him and his likes.

8. Hari Sud

Hari Sud Senior Member Senior Member

I went to a missionary school in Shimla in fifties, where always an effort was afoot to induce students to attend religious service. My parents and lots of other parents resisted.

I had my tonsils operated in in 1952 in a Seventh Day Adventist Hospital in Shimla. All patients who could walk were induced to attend the Sunday service. Much of the staff and head doctor were Christians. They attended and wished patients also attended.

Both these incidents come to my mind when I read the religious conversion trouble at St Stephen College.

None of the two parties are telling the truth. I believe there was an inducement to convert to Christiantity and change of mind on the part of the target person at St Stephen College. Charges and counter charges would continue.