Containing Iran is The Way Forward.

Poseidon

Country flag
Containing Iran is The Way Forward.
Roger Cohen | Nov 19, 2011, 12.00AM IST

In 1980, Saddam Hussein invaded Iran. He reckoned Iranians were too divided by their year-old revolution to offer much riposte. Wrong: Iranians were galvanised, the last internal opposition to Ayatollah Khomeini's theocracy was quashed, and Iran stood as one to face the enemy.

There's no need to look much further to know how Tehran would respond if Israel or the United States bombed Iran in an attempt to halt its nuclear programme. An Iranian society that today is a combustible mix of depression, division and dysfunction would unite in fury.

This, in the cautionary words of US defence secretary Leon Panetta, could have "unintended consequences". Among them: a lifeline for the weakened Islamic republic that would lock it in for a generation; a wave of radicalisation just when jihadist ideology seems tired and the Arab Spring stands at a delicate juncture; a blow to the global economy from soaring oil prices; a revival of Iran's sagging regional appeal as it becomes yet another Muslim country to face western bombs; increased terrorism; and a subsequent Iranian race for a nuclear weapon fired by resentments as indelible as those left by the CIA coup that ousted Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh in 1953.

This is not an appealing proposition. But nor of course is a nuclear Iran. And there's the rub.

I see four key elements. First, Iran is not fiddling around with nuclear triggers and high-precision detonators because it wants to generate electricity. It seeks a military-nuclear capability common to its region (Israel, Pakistan, India and Russia).

Second, its halting progress towards this goal, far slower than Pakistan's, relates not only to effective countermeasures ( Stuxnet, dead scientists) but also to a deep-seated inertia and ambiguity; Ali Khamenei, the supreme leader, is the "guardian of the revolution" and as such in a conservative business where he will be judged on the Islamic republic's survival. The nuclear programme is nationalistic glue for a fragile society even if it goes nowhere.

Third, Iran, shaken by the 2009 uprising, a young nation with a stale revolutionary regime, is uneasy: a feverish demand for hard currency has pushed the unofficial dollar rate way above the official one, prices for staples are soaring, a huge banking scandal has underscored rampant corruption, and the tensions between the Islamic republic's divine superstructure (Khamenei) and its (frau-dulently) elected president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, are virulent.

Fourth, the big loser from the Arab Spring has been Iran because the uprisings are about accountability and representation, which is precisely what the Iranian Revolution denied its authors after promising freedom.

The country is hesitant and divided, and it does not want war. Khamenei is aging; how he would be replaced is unclear. Another presidential election in a couple of years will again reveal the Islamic republic's paralysing contradictions. These circumstances give the United States and Israel room for effective action, so long as they resist a rash military strike. The aim should be to increase Iran's internal divisions, not unite it in furious resolve.

In 1946, when he wrote the 'Long Telegram' that birthed the policy of containment, George Kennan observed a Soviet Union that was also an ideological enemy of the West, but overstretched and economically weak. He judged, correctly, that it could be contained through firmness, as it was even after developing a bomb.

Iran, more unpredictable than the Soviet Union, can be stopped short of a bomb through measures short of military action. What is needed is a contain-and-constrain policy. Contain Iran through beefed-up Israeli and Gulf defences, a process underway. Constrain it to circle in its current nuclear ambiguity through covert undermining (Stuxnet 2.0, etc), tough measures to block its access to hard currency and, as a last resort, a "quarantine" similar to John Kennedy's interdiction of shipping to Cuba during the missile crisis.

How you judge patience depends on how you judge time. Time is not on the Islamic republic's side. - NYTNS.

Containing Iran is The Way Forward - The Times of India

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Look at the comments by Westerners on that article. Talk about brainwashed.

First time that I proud of Indians commenting on ToI. This comment sums it up:
absolutely. Indian media is becoming a poodle dog of USA.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

Western propaganda is the pioneer in its field. Even the nazis acknowledged it.

niharjhatn

Sooo true...

sigh, the ridiculous flag waving of the west is truly incredible. And its not something I have only seen in this article. I don't know if its the American's ignorance is a side effect of their perceived superiority or their stupidity. Seeing comments like "Iran must be stopped now!" and that they are run by "madmen" is unbelievable - anyone that goes against their established ideology of life is termed a "madman" that must be stopped - don't they understand that some people seek more than beer, american football and the latest xbox games :tsk:

Its impossible to make firm alliances as a non-white nation when such thinking exists in the US - they can turn on anyone and at any time.

niharjhatn

Western propaganda is the pioneer in its field. Even the nazis acknowledged it.
Something they have perfected over hundreds of years - from the preaching of christianity and the blasphemy of idolatry to capitalism vs others, east vs west... in every aspect of history, western propaganda has influenced the rest of the world.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Something they have perfected over hundreds of years - from the preaching of christianity and the blasphemy of idolatry to capitalism vs others, east vs west... in every aspect of history, western propaganda has influenced the rest of the world.

Your avatar is stepped in Western propaganda...:pound:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
The only Indian there is her face. Pls check again your picture dude.:rofl:
:pound:

you're talking about clothes aren't you ?

Indians were living in cities with toilets in each room thousands of years ago while europeans were living in caves.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
What's wrong in IRAN having Nuclear missile technology when the rouge pakistan is having it by the indirect help of the Americans?

First America should try to destroy all the nuclear missiles in pakistan then they should talk about IRAN.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This discussion is degenerating into a silly hen-and-egg argument. While India no doubt played a significant role in the shaping of culture in Asia (nobody can deny this), its influence has not really reached seeped deep into Western subconscious. Western culture on the other hand has surged deep into Asian consciousness so much so that we already take for granted Western influences like how we dress, education, and all these youth culture. The march of Western culture is largely a result of the Worldwide reach of Western media. The actress that was used as an avatar by one of the member here is just one example. Here we are already bashing the West and its cultural influences but not fully realising that we have embraced it (except for her face she looks like any other Western TV actress).

BTW, I'm sorry for being off topic.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
This discussion is degenerating into a silly hen-and-egg argument. While India no doubt played a significant role in the shaping of culture in Asia (nobody can deny this), its influence has not really reached seeped deep into Western subconscious. Western culture on the other hand has surged deep into Asian consciousness so much so that we already take for granted Western influences like how we dress, education, and all these youth culture. The march of Western culture is largely a result of the Worldwide reach of Western media. The actress that was used as an avatar by one of the member here is just one example. Here we are already bashing the West and its cultural influences but not fully realising that we have embraced it (except for her face she looks like any other Western TV actress).

BTW, I'm sorry for being off topic.
Thats because you lack knowledge and the only history you know is that of the past few centuries.

Everything that west has today has its roots in India and China. They have only expanded upon it while we have lagged behind in last few centuries.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Thats because you lack knowledge and the only history you know is that of the past few centuries.

Everything that west has today has its roots in India and China. They have only expanded upon it while we have lagged behind in last few centuries.

That's a very educational claim. I guess I am now educated. Okay then, if that makes you happy why not? Silly modern Western culture which is based on permissive Protestant values, and later on secularism, is actually rooted in Indian Buddhist and Hindu cultures... I guess even the ubiquitous jeans...8)

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
My answer to the title is "including Iran is the way forward".

Illusive

Country flag
What's wrong in IRAN having Nuclear missile technology when the rouge pakistan is having it by the indirect help of the Americans?

First America should try to destroy all the nuclear missiles in pakistan then they should talk about IRAN.
If they do that, then how would they contain us. pakistan serves american interests since their leadership licks their boot, which is not in case of Iran. So it must be contained.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
If they do that, then how would they contain us. pakistan serves american interests since their leadership licks their boot, which is not in case of Iran. So it must be contained.
Pakistan is supporting IRAN on the nuclear programme issue. When pakistan is supporting them why don't the Americans attack pakistan first? That is my point. As IRAN is an ISLAMIC republic pakistan will definitely support IRAN and not the Americans, so why not attack pakistan also?

communismforindia

Tihar Jail
Banned
That's a very educational claim. I guess I am now educated. Okay then, if that makes you happy why not? Silly modern Western culture which is based on permissive Protestant values, and later on secularism, is actually rooted in Indian Buddhist and Hindu cultures... I guess even the ubiquitous jeans...8)
The reality is there were many trails and errors in west befroe adopting certain policies... as far as Indian influence on culture goes... there is no doubt not only asia but the entire world has learned a lot from it... you may laugh and make fun as you will i believe.. and this not your fault, after all west is best philosophy has been fixed in your blood by your media and almost everything else... even your archeologists believe that early europeans appeared in suits,bowtie and boots unlike other hunter gatherers from which civillisations usually rise... I would call this unneccessary bragging. It has become a trend now to hide the real facts and cook up theories to produce your own versions of facts... let me give u a small example, the atom was discovered or atleast described by an Indian saint called maharshi kannada and not demarcritus as many westerners claim, I believe its just a counterweight to show to provide west with its own alternative so that the western pride would remain maintained.. your mentality Sir, is filled with excessive pride, so go ahead laugh your heads off but there's only one truth, which will remain...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles