Congress losing public support - poll

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by S.A.T.A, Jan 9, 2011.

1. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

Congress losing public support - poll

(Reuters) - India's ruling Congress party is losing voter support and would lose over 40 seats if an election were called tomorrow as billion dollar scams and corruption allegations take their toll, a poll showed.

A $39 billion telecoms scam, corruption accusations over last October's Commonwealth Games and the resurrection of a 25- year-old defence contract kickback scandal have all dented public confidence in the party that leads the ruling coalition.

In an election, Congress would see its majority slashed by a loss of around 40 of its current 206 seats, the AC Neilsen poll showed, as 44 percent of respondents said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's previously unimpeachable image had been affected by the scandals.

The Mood of the Nation poll, conducted by AC Neilsen and India Today magazine, surveyed 12,349 voters across 19 states in face-to-face interviews between Dec 4-19.

Opposition protests over inquiries into the corruption allegations have paralysed parliament since November, branding the government as ineffective and possibly leading to early elections in the five-year cycle to break the deadlock.

Congress won a second successive term in the 2009 elections. The poll said its main opposition, the Hindu-nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party, would gain over 20 new seats in a election if it were held tomorrow.

Congress slipped in popularity by three percent among India's poor - a key constituent of its vote bank. But 42 percent of respondents thought a Congress-led coalition would still return to power in a general election in 2014.

Party chief Sonia Gandhi, seen as the real powerbroker of the party, saw her popularity as a prime ministerial candidate plummet to 8 percent from 27 percent in January 2006, with 43 percent of respondents saying her image had been affected by the scams.

(Reporting by Henry Foy; editing by Alistair Scrutton and Yoko Nishikawa)

3. bharadwaj

bharadwaj Regular Member

Thousands of crores down the drain and our Army is fighting half-maimed!But our mediocre people still cannot ask for accountability from either the GoI or from the illiterate media that is too damn busy showcasing the plight of the Gandhian Binayak Sen(Gandhi as in K.O-BAD Gandhi not the Mahatma)While the GoI is busy covering up the effing issue with huge amounts of help from the "awesome and independent" CBI!Which,by-the-way cannot solve the homicide of a teenager!Nor have the b***s to hold Quarter-key(or whatever his name is)responsible...................................

4. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Anti incumbency is a common phenomenon, Its congress I's second term and Congress I is looting nation for those rainy days. Nothing surprising about it.
    Unfortunately this is every political parties agenda few are more corrupt than others.

5. Vikramaditya

Vikramaditya Regular Member

I don't think I will vote for congress as a Hindu terrorist according to rahul baba...
    Its clear that congress is doing cast and religion politics.Look at food price a kilo onion cost more then a kilo chicken..
    This government is calling terrorist from POK to settle in India...Man they will divide our country...need to remove them as quickly as possible..

6. bharadwaj

bharadwaj Regular Member

@Vikramaaditya sir-This is our INDIA where "everyone wants to be a revolutionary but only for their own cause".Mediocrity is our middle name!Except for a few finite revolutionary patriots most of us are too busy to be "responsible" voters!

7. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Onion price is not more than a kilo of chicken. Food prices all over the world have gone up. UN report about it has just come out. Its anti encumbrance more than anything else.
    The telecom scam is still to be proved. Kapil sibal yesterday had some good points on CNN-IBN. Seriously no political party should talk about corruption as no one is clean.

What was still interesting in that poll was though congress has dropped its number, the BJP has not gobbled it all up and is up by just a bit and still 40 seats behind the congress. That is more worrying for me. Means regional parties coming in which means more khichdi and instability. Everyone will try to extract their pound of flesh and national interests, well they always come last for politicians.

nrj likes this.
  8. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

I am sick of Congress, Gandhis, nehrus, Tiwaris, Raul Vincis, Biankas, Anatonias et al, and above all the wretched sly coterie.....they loot us in broad day light and still there are enough educated illiterate dumb Indians, who would love to have a "White Italian" bandit bahu ruling them!!

True-In a democracy u get what u deserve, if we deserve 40 year old "Dumb" Raul Vinci as our PM, then be it...More 200000 Crore scams would surface and still we will find many illiterate/intellectually unsound Indians worshiping white skin!

To every-bodies surprise, I only find Bihar and Gujarat as last bastion of sanity, in this nation of idiots!

S.A.T.A likes this.
  9. bharadwaj

bharadwaj Regular Member

Sir,consistent rise in the inflationary number over the past few months here is big enough a reason to be unhappy about!And about the part where you are questioning the depth of truth in the 2G scam-i cannot prove it and neither can the CBI!
    About your third point,true one steals money whereas the other-lives!Both harass us in the name of religion,economical status and make a mockery out of our hard earned democracy!
    Our people have to vote first and vote RESPONSIBLY then we can see some considerable change!
    Regards,

10. Indianrabbit

Indianrabbit Regular Member

Congress is in really bad shape, the reason BJP did not do well is that they were in not good shape either. They could not convince people that they can do a better job. This is what BJP should be doing.

1) Find a good leader, make sure he does not give controversial statements.

2) Make sure you are not anti minority, please everyone should feel safe under your governance.

3) Watch out, how you deal with media, there are people, who have not done very good job at that.

11. Yusuf

Bhardwaj,
    The price of food is up all over the world. My sister is in oz and she too tells me how food prices have gone up. Sure there are people making a fast buck in it, but food inflation is a world wide phenomenon. Even if the BJP was in power it would have gone up.
    Onion prices have been affected by some bad rains which destroyed a lot of the produce.

12. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Congress loosing 2014 doesn't equate to BJP winning in 2014 i see some dilly dallying in the short term

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  13. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

X2 what is the use of remaining in power they failed us on all fronts

Internal Security-26/11,rise of Naxalites
    External Security-Failure to stop Chinese violation always downplaying it
    Cost of living-You name the item and its rising
    Scam after Scam

14. Gujjar_boy

Gujjar_boy Regular Member

Congress is history ..!

15. Iamanidiot

Congress is nowhere history it is there to stay but lets say its power is waning

16. Yusuf

I am more worried about regional parties playing king makers. I just hope the next elections gives either BJP or congress 225 plus seats which would mean very little dependence on others. Sadly in playing coalition politics these days national parties fight lesser answer lesser number of seats which reduces their chances. Wish we had the american system. No bhed bakri selling.

17. Iamanidiot

Congress won't win AP and Rajasthan next time,Delhi I don't know but these are stays slipping out of congress

Is BJP winning any new states they may win Rajasthan and no way in Andhra Pradesh

18. Agantrope

Agantrope Senior Member Senior Member

JP, 2014 is still 3 years from now. So by then congress will some sensible cards to be in their seats of power. BJP is not united in a place to topple or give a good arm flex to the congress.

19. Agantrope

Agantrope Senior Member Senior Member

Exactly JP, Congress have had many oppositions, but still they manage to get-in. The reason is they are not allowing the opposition to get under one hood. Best Example is the Maharashtra, NCP-INC is weak, but still they managed to win by spilting the BJP-SS votes, thanks to MNS.

20. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

All that I could gather from Sibbals press meeting that he was saying something about Policy being correct but procedure being followed is wrong. He didn't say even a single world even hint that Raja is innocent. I agree that actual loss will be much less that 40 billion $ but its a loss and scam nonetheless .

21. Iamanidiot

Agan
    Congress is getting screwed in Andhra Right Royally.UP election in 2011 will decide the fate of congress in lok Sabha .Congress won't get 33 lok Sabha from AP this time.DMK is not in top form in TN.Jayalalithaa as co-alition partner along with Mamata is akin to having a landmine under your ass.