Congres Appointees Decide How BJP Govt Must Be Projected

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by sasi, Apr 7, 2015.

1. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

If you have been wondering why Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s flagship programmes Jan Dhan Yojana, Make in India, Land Acquisition Bill/Ordinance, etc are not being hard-sold by state-owned media housesDoordarshanand Press Information Bureau, wonder no more.
    Directors in Doordarshan known to be close to different ministers of the Congress-led UPA dispensation and the most visible of the 2009 batch of anchor-correspondents still decide the content of the national broadcaster, sources in the I&B Ministry and the government-run news channel have revealed toSwarajya.
    The sources said that Raj Kumar, Director–New Media (“New Media” is the department that handles DD News’ Twitter handle and Facebook page) and Special Programme, was once close to NCP chief Sharad Pawar; Mamta Verma, Director–Assignment, was a favourite of Kapil Sibal and Director–Administration, Human Resource and Regional News Unit, K Satish Namboodiripad’s proximity to KV Thomas is well known.
    Sibal is a former Telecommunication, Education and Law Minister who represented the Chandni Chowk constituency of Delhi in two consecutive terms of the UPA government. Thomas was the Minister of State in the Ministry of Agriculture and Minister of State in the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, in the second UPA government. He represents the Ernakulam Constituency in the 16th Lok Sabha.
    Right after its victory in the 2009 general election, the Congress planted its defenders from the journalistic fraternity inDoordarshanas anchor-correspondents (AC). Staff members of the channel alleged the following:
    - Ashwini Mishra (AC) is related to KL Sharma, who is parliamentary representative of Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi’s constituency Rae Bareli
    – Jaya Sinha (AC Grade 1) was recommended by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s personal secretary
    – Former Madhya Pradesh chief minister Digvijaya Singh had brought in Mamta Chopra (AC Grade 1), whose husband happens to be the present Congress general secretary’s astrologer
    – Priyanka Aggarwal (AC Grade 2) is the wife of former Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma’s nephew. Under UPA-I, Sharma had been given the I&B portfolio additionally when incumbent Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi fell seriously ill.
    Among recruits of the same designation in other batches, Deputy Editorial Consultant Gautam Rai (salary Rs 1,70,000 pm) and Senior Anchor Mummun Bhattacharya (salary Rs 1,15,000 pm) were recommended by former UPA I&B Minister Manish Tiwary. And Bengaluru Correspondent Ayesha Khanam was brought in by former Director General of Doordarshan SM Khan, the sources said. While a DG has the right to recruit someone, according to a rule of Prasar Bharati, any recruit drawing a salary of above Rs 50,000 per month needs sanction of the autonomous body’s chairman. Khan sought no such permission even though Khanam draws a salary of Rs 1,40,000 per month.
    The minimum salary per month for AC Grade 1 is Rs 65,000 and that for AC Grade 2 is Rs 45,000. Congress appointees Chopra and Sinha get Rs 87,000 per month each as salary. Aggarwal gets Rs 60,000 per month. Mishra’s salary is much less than the cut-off amount; he is a Congress appointee nevertheless.
    Khan’s tenure also saw quite a few news presenters qualified to read Urdu bulletins moved to the Hindi section. Prasar Bharati rules do not allow a presenter to read bulletins in a language for which he/she has not passed the duly held tests (audition and interview).
    These recruitments happened around the time when 150 odd consultants affiliated to the Congress or other UPA constituents were appointed by the national broadcaster.
    Further, while some anchor-correspondents have finished their respective tenures, they continue to be in service, thanks to their bosses’ generosity. Contracts of Chopra, Sinha, Aggarwal and Mishra ended in February 2014, but they are still on duty!
    But no one brazened it out as much as News Editor (Assignment) Prakash Pant. He allegedly participated in the campaign of the Aam Aadmi Party in between his duty hours at Doordarshan. When a staffer photographed him with the AAP cap on inside theDD-Newsstudio, and the matter was sent to Information & Broadcasting Minister Arun Jaitley’s notice, the Congress-appointed officers fudged the attendance records promptly to show Pant was on leave! This information was shared with me by a DD News crew member, and substantiated by another.

maomao likes this.
  3. sasi

The recruitments above are odd not only because of political interference in information dissemination. Some of the appointments also reek of corruption. Candidates Atul Keshav Pateriya and Harikesh Bahadur Singh Gautam alleged to the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) — original application numbers 1473/2009 and 1674/2009 respectively — that the Congress recruits scored less than 10 out of 50 each in the written examination; the score was compensated by giving them almost 50 out of 50 in the interviews, and thus raising the aggregate. As the CAT sought to declare the appointments void, the defendants approached the Delhi High Court and got a stay on their removal from service.
    A study of the conclusion by the court would make it clear that the defendants — including the Government of India, then of the UPA — could secure the stay order due to (a) CAT’s inability to establish its jurisdiction over the matter, and (b) technical shortcomings of the tribunal’s proceedings. The High Court in no way rubbished the complaint.
    In the meantime, 2003-batch anchor-correspondents Amrit Pal Singh and Anil Thomas, along with reporter Anil Punia, were ordered to leave. They somehow managed to stay their termination order by approaching CAT. The management was so insensitive that it instructed Singh to interview and humour Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister Mangala Samaraweera for a whole day and, on his return, handed him his termination letter.
    Such high-handedness was evident under Anand Sharma and was relatively less conspicuous under Ambika Soni, who was the I&B Minister in the duration 22 May 2009 – 27 October 2012, a DD staffer said. “But as the current government is not putting its foot down, the Congress appointees have turned more daring. I feel Anand Sharma’s era has returned,” he said.
    Sharma’s domineering attitude was most evident during the election analysis of 2009. Finding a certain anchor adversarial to the Congress, Sharma instructed the programme director to recall him from the set during a commercial break.
    A colleague of the television presenters mentioned above said:
    “Because Jaitley considers the Finance Ministry more important, and also perhaps thinksDoordarshanis beyond repair, and his deputy Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore has got no sense of the wrongs in this department, all these Congress recruits get away with murder”
    “Things were better for the present government when Prakash Javadekar was the (I&B) minister; his OSD was a friendly journalist,” a right-wing scribe said, adding, “But he always knew he was anad hocarrangement who would have to relinquish the portfolio in the first Cabinet reshuffle. Besides, his passion lay in the Ministry of Environment & Forests.”
    Around the time the ministry moved from Javadekar to Jaitley, Akshay Rout joined as Director General – News and Current Affairs. Several DD staffers and supporters of the BJP who have appeared on DD’s panel as experts for debates on various subjects believe Rout is pro-Congress. Either under his standing instruction or due to the anchor-correspondents mentioned above, or both, panellists invited for debates largely remain what they used to be under the UPA.
    Actually, television studios work on familiarity. If the guest coordinator has your mobile number, you are likely to be invited for talk shows again and again. However, sinceDoordarshanis decidedly pro-government, it is strange that the I&B Ministry is not intervening to change the panels.
    Is bureaucratic sluggishness to blame? Jaitley’s OSD is Rajeev Ranjan Singh and Rathore’s is OP Singh. Unlike Javadekar’s officer on special duty, both these officers are from the Indian Information Service (IIS) — as was SM Khan — a typical bureaucratic body that either has little sense of the politics involved in journalism, or are influenced by the Congress’s power brokers inbabudom.
    And the I&B Ministry has several other IIS officers determining the course. An obvious example of this management’s incompetence is their failure to incorporate the beat system. A reporter is sent to any ministry, department or party office any day and then moved to another the next day. This makes it difficult for him/her to be familiar with a given beat, as a result of which his/her stories often miss the character or soul of the subject concerned.
    Consequently, other than telecasting the prime minister’s speech during the inauguration of the Jan Dhan Yojana live,Doordarshandid no programme on the issue, a channel staffer sympathetic to the BJP complained.
    Another said that the Saradha chit fund scam would have been a big stick to beat rival Trinamool Congress with, butDDis yet to cover the scandal.

Read full- Congress Appointees Decide How BJP Govt Must Be Projected | Swarajya

wht's wrong with bjp, still congi stooges running the show!

maomao likes this.
  4. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

It's high time to kick out con-party led secular / leftist filth from public institutions!

Eesh likes this.
  5. sasi

IB- Arun jaitely and rathore aren't upto mark!

6. Kharavela

Kharavela Regular Member

What the hell I & B Minister is doing ? Protecting Congress appointees ??

7. sasi

well many rightwing people feel jaitely is sonia stooge/congi mole in Nda!

8. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

I don't think he is the stooge, but I think he has his own agenda in expense of modi govt. He wants to be the next face of BJP, and therefore as much as he can undermine Modi, the more 'he thinks' he benefits. Well, if so, I guess he is another living in dreamland fool. He simply doesn't people's tough to be replacing modi.

Anyway, I think for this Modi himself is responsible. Why does he depend on AJ so much? Even Shushma is better. At least with her, Modi knows where he stands.

9. sasi