Origins of Sinhalese and Sri Lankan Tamils

HeinzGud

Country flag
This is a refutation of a letter posted in Ceylon Daily News by Mr. SK Vadivale...................
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lkawgw/sinhalarace.htm

From the annals of history we learn that the port of Puhar along the Coromandel coast of Tamil Naadu, the port of Tutucurin along the Southern coast of Tamil Naadu and the port of Mantai (Mannar) along the North-Western coast of Lanka were internationally famous for the flourishing trade they were carrying on during the pre-christian and early Christian eras, with countries in the West viz.

The ancient port of Mannar was not a major trading port.
For instance, he can show that imitations of Roman copper coins (naimatas) were solely produced in Sri Lanka after the mid-5th century CE (p. 83). Similarly, he argues convincingly that the northern port of Mantai never played an important role in the maritime trade of Sri Lanka, as the site has hardly yielded any coins (let alone hoards), and again he contends that the earliest 'coins' of Lanka, the "maneless lion" tokens, could not have been used as currency because of their broad variety of form, weight, and alloy (p. 99).

The above ports were manned exclusively by Tamils. They were mariners and navigators.
Tamil names of the commodities exported and imported are seen in the vocabularies of the Greek and English languages today.

No refereance given for the tamils mannig Mannar harbour. Words borrowed directly from Tamils List of English words of Tamil origin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Word
Meaning in Tamil
catamarantree/wood
corundumruby
mulligatawny water
pariahdrummer
tutenagraw zinc
vetiver tropical Indian grass
anicut("anai"=dam, "kattu"=building/structure

Not even close to import and export items........ theres a few words like candy, curry and rice.......... oh come on are those early cristian era products???

Coins of foreign countries have been found from time to time at Kantharodai, the earliest capital of the kings of Jaffna, and in other parts of Jaffna. Foreign coins may be seen at the National Museum in Jaffna.

Ancinet coins were discoverd at various locations through out Sri Lanka! Also Kantharodia is a buddist temple complex.
Reinhold Walburg: Coins and Tokens from Ancient Ceylon. Ancient Ruhuna. Sri Lanka-German Archaeological Project in the Southern Province. Vol. 2.. Wiesbaden 2008. - H-Soz-u-Kult / Rezensionen / Bücher
Coins, no matter whether true ones, imitations, forgeries or bullion metal, are crucial and yet often neglected sources for economic history, and Walburg is able to put several contested issues of Lankan history straight. For instance, he can show that imitations of Roman copper coins (naimatas) were solely produced in Sri Lanka after the mid-5th century CE (p. 83). Similarly, he argues convincingly that the northern port of Mantai never played an important role in the maritime trade of Sri Lanka, as the site has hardly yielded any coins (let alone hoards), and again he contends that the earliest 'coins' of Lanka, the "maneless lion" tokens, could not have been used as currency because of their broad variety of form, weight, and alloy (p. 99). Indeed, if he is correct in attributing their emergence and usage to the reign of king Mahasena (early 4th century CE), these tokens shed new light on the king's attempt to control the flow of material resources to the monasteries at the capital, most notably the Mahavihara which the king wanted to dissolve.

In the concluding chapters, Walburg attempts further interpretations of his own. While the findings from the South coast indicate the economic strength of that region, they also give a hint towards the political status of the province vis-à-vis the core area of the Sinhalese state in the North (Anuradhapura). Putting numismatic evidence against the record of the Sinhalese chronicles, Walburg can also make suggestions concerning the course of events of the kingdom (pp. 311-313). Finally, Walburg suggests that there was hardly any direct trade between the Roman ports in the Red Sea and Sri Lanka. Goods and coins rather travelled in stages, with Sasanian Persia and various emporia of South India (especially in the domain of the Pallavas on the south-east coast of India) forming the most important places of exchange and transaction.
The Hindu and Buddhist ruins we see today at Polonnaruwa are a legacy the Cholas who ruled Lanka from 1003 A.D. to 1075 A.D. have bequeathed to us. In no other part of Lanka do we see such extensive ruins, as we see at Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka is heavily indebted to the Cholas for their gift.

Polonnaruwa was a military base in the Anuradhapura era.. It was chosen by Cholas because of its strategic location.
Ancient City of Polonnaruwa - UNESCO World Heritage Centre
After the destruction of Anuradhapura in 993 by Rajaraja, Polonnaruwa, a temporary royal residence during the 8th century, became the capital. The conquering Cholas constructed monuments to their religion (Brahmnism), and especially temples to Shiva where fine bronze statues, today in the Museum of Colombo, were found. The reconquest of Ceylon by Vijayabahu I did not put an end to the city's role as capital: it became covered, after 1070, with Buddhist sanctuaries, of which the Atadage (Temple of the Tooth Relic) is the most renowned.
Heres another place you can see extensive ruins even surpassing Polonnaruwa!
Sigiriya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With the arrival of Arahat Mahinda, thousands of Tamils of the Hindu faith embraced Buddhism. Though 80 generations have rolled by, these converts have not given up their Tamil Hindu culture and practices.

Where are the references for such a abserd claim. Just a his imagination!

As even as late as the 6th century A.D., there was no Sinhala language, the Great Chronicles were written in the Pali language. Monk Maha Nama hatched the Vijaya myth to dub the Buddhist converts as Aryans, projecting them as descendants of Bengalis.

Well even he believes that Sinahalese is derived from Pali and Sanskrit.

Maha Nama did not know that the Bengalis were Mongoloid Dravidians.

What are the claims for such a statement! The Origin of Vijaya is still dispute!

With the mixture of Tamil, Pali and Sanskrit languages, evolved that Sinhala language during 8 A.D. It was not Pali or Sanskrit, but the Tamil language that helped in the formation of the Sinhala alphabets. The alphabets of the Sinhala language are round in shape like the alphabets of the other Dravidian languages. Telugue, Malayalam, Kannadam and proto-Tamil. In the 10th century. Tamils changed the shape of their alphabets to the square shape.

Sinhala alphabet got round in shape in around 14th centuray because of the useage of plam leaves. When writing in plam leaves, strip shape words tend to rip the leaf.

KS

Bye bye DFI
the point of the thread being ?

the non-sinhalas are second class citizens in lanka & are fit to be murdered on sight by the 'indigenous' sinhala ?

And where is the refutation ? Only things I see are the "what is this !".."absurd claim"..."funny point"..."he doesn't know" kinda statements.

prakashbioc

I think he is trying to "Keep-up and brandishing" the prestigious image of historic sinhala culture in this thread. apart from "killing-fields of SL" there is no prestigious issues are there for sinhalese army and SL sinhalese people. my tamil (fisher)men are beaten up by their regular army as well as by mercenaries disgusted as SL fishermen. even pakistanis never done this to any of the indian fishermen. I think srilankan buddha thought them only raping, killing and beating up others. :laugh:

amitkriit

I have talked to a few Sinhalas, and I was surprised when some of them called me black and claimed that he belongs to true ARYAN race (being a sinhala). One person sent me several pics of himself to prove that he is actually light skinned. History has been twisted and adulterated by the racist government of Sri Lanka. Shame on these people who aren't ready to digest the glorious past of their own country and countrymen, just because they are culturally and linguistically different.

I wonder why Sri Lankans are such huge fan of China (read Han), is it because both think in the same manner?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Two reasons. first being that they were looking for lean mean and fast contractors to do their developmental projects.
Secondly India being the elephantine player, goofed up big time in taking the opportunity.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I have talked to a few Sinhalas, and I was surprised when some of them called me black and claimed that he belongs to true ARYAN race (being a sinhala). One person sent me several pics of himself to prove that he is actually light skinned. History has been twisted and adulterated by the racist government of Sri Lanka. Shame on these people who aren't ready to digest the glorious past of their own country and countrymen, just because they are culturally and linguistically different.

I wonder why Sri Lankans are such huge fan of China (read Han), is it because both think in the same manner?
It's because both of them are inherent afflicted with inferiority complex due to conquest by other ethnicities (Hans by Mongols,Japs,Manchus & Sinhala by Tamil) that they need to 're-assert' their perceived superiority by resorting to violence/discrimination when in majority , when they have the power & when the other is weak.

And regarding Sinhalese claiming to be "true" Aryan , Hitler will be twisting & turning in his grave if he ever has a look at Sanath Jayasuriya.

p.s.:- No offence, I like the butcher from Matharai though for his swashbuckling skills :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sri Lankans fair?

Maybe.

I somehow haven't seen any.

Maybe I missed the fair ones!

My fault!

HeinzGud

Country flag
the point of the thread being ?

the non-sinhalas are second class citizens in lanka & are fit to be murdered on sight by the 'indigenous' sinhala ?

And where is the refutation ? Only things I see are the "what is this !".."absurd claim"..."funny point"..."he doesn't know" kinda statements.
Don't be a bloody bugger! Check out the sites I've listed..... You seems to be Tamil racist to me..................... No hard feelings though!

HeinzGud

Country flag
I think he is trying to "Keep-up and brandishing" the prestigious image of historic sinhala culture in this thread. apart from "killing-fields of SL" there is no prestigious issues are there for sinhalese army and SL sinhalese people. my tamil (fisher)men are beaten up by their regular army as well as by mercenaries disgusted as SL fishermen. even pakistanis never done this to any of the indian fishermen. I think srilankan buddha thought them only raping, killing and beating up others. :laugh:
Sri Lanka does have a prestigious history and culture and we should be proud of our glorious culture.......... Even though we never neglected Tamil culture...... rather we mingled with it! Your Tamil fisherman (also being tamil) are denying the rights of the Jaffna fisherman by using modern fishing techniques to catch large number of fish.. what can the poor Jaffna people can do except witnessing this injustice.

Well some sri lankans do believe it................... but it's their belief.......... You can criticize as long as you wish because they are just belief like Sai BABA!

It's because both of them are inherent afflicted with inferiority complex due to conquest by other ethnicities (Hans by Mongols,Japs,Manchus & Sinhala by Tamil) that they need to 're-assert' their perceived superiority by resorting to violence/discrimination when in majority , when they have the power & when the other is weak.

And regarding Sinhalese claiming to be "true" Aryan , Hitler will be twisting & turning in his grave if he ever has a look at Sanath Jayasuriya.

p.s.:- No offence, I like the butcher from Matharai though for his swashbuckling skills :)
Thats what tamils also did when India gained Independence in 1948.................. Didn't they denied Hindi as national language........... Didn't they wanted seperate Tamil homeland in India only to be dismissed by British.

amitkriit

Sri Lanka does have a prestigious history and culture and we should be proud of our glorious culture.......... Even though we never neglected Tamil culture...... rather we mingled with it! Your Tamil fisherman (also being tamil) are denying the rights of the Jaffna fisherman by using modern fishing techniques to catch large number of fish.. what can the poor Jaffna people can do except witnessing this injustice.

Well some sri lankans do believe it................... but it's their belief.......... You can criticize as long as you wish because they are just belief like Sai BABA!

Thats what tamils also did when India gained Independence in 1948.................. Didn't they denied Hindi as national language........... Didn't they wanted seperate Tamil homeland in India only to be dismissed by British.
1. According to a Sinhala, Sri Lankan culture= Sinhalese culture.
2. You believe in what your racist government teaches you in your school text-books.
3. Every community in India has the right to protect it's unique culture, language and way of life. Tamils in India are well integrated with the nation and there is no difference between us. A Sinhalese racist will find it hard to grab and understand.

Pintu

Genetic studies on Sinhalese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Predominantly Tamil origin

According to a genetic admixture study by Dr. Gautam K. Kshatriya performed in 1995, the Sinhalese have their origins in South India and North-East India, particularly Tamil Nadu and West Bengal . Due to relatively easy access from South India and Tamil workers being brought from South India under British rule, mixing of the Tamil and Sinhalese groups has been occurring for many generations. The Sinhalese and Sri Lankan Tamils have been in close proximity to each other historically, linguistically, and culturally for over 2000 years. For example, the Sinhalese and South Indian Tamils have similar cultures in terms of kinship classification, cousin marriage, dress and housing.This explains Kshatriya's findings of a common gene pool of 55%.Kshatriya found the Sinhalese had the greatest contribution from South Indian Tamils (69.86% +/- 0.61), followed by Bengalis from the North East India (25.41% +/- 0.51). Similarly, Sri Lankan Tamils have a greater contribution from the Sinhalese of Sri Lanka (55.20% +/- 9.47) than Indian Tamils (16.63% +/- 8.73). The study also suggested that 75% of Sinhalese genes have Tamil admixture and the Sinhalese have the least genetic affinity with North Western Indians.

Predominantly Bengali origin

An Alu polymorphism analysis of Sinhalese from Colombo by Dr Sarabjit Mastanain in 2007 using Tamil, Bengali, Gujarati (Patel), and Punjabi as parental populations found different proportions of genetic contribution:

Statistical Method Bengali Tamil North Western
Point Estimate 57.49% 42.5% -
Maximum Likelihood Method 88.07% - -
Using Tamil, Bengali and North West 50-66% 11-30% 20-23%
as parenteral population

A genetic distance analysis by Dr Robet Kirk also concluded that the modern Sinhalese are most closely related to the Bengalis.

This is further substantiated by a VNTR study, which found 82% of Sinhalese genes to originate from Bengali admixture:

Parenteral population Bengali Tamil Gujarati Punjabi
Using Tamil and Bengali as parenteral population 70.03% 29.97% -
Using Tamil, Bengali and Gujarati as parenteral population 71.82% 16.38% 11.82%
Using Bengal, Gujarati and Punjabi as parenteral population 82.09% - 15.39% 2.52%

D1S80 allele frequency (A popular allele for genetic fingerprinting) is also similar between the Sinhalese and Bengalis, suggesting the two groups are closely related.The Sinhalese also have similar frequencies of the allele MTHFR 677T (13%) to West Bengalis (17%).

These findings are compatible with the historical chronicles the Mahavamsa and Dipavamsa. Which describe a Bengali prince (Prince Vijaya) of being an early settler of Sri Lanka and the progenitor of the Sinhalese.

Regards

HeinzGud

Country flag
1. According to a Sinhala, Sri Lankan culture= Sinhalese culture.
2. You believe in what your racist government teaches you in your school text-books.
3. Every community in India has the right to protect it's unique culture, language and way of life. Tamils in India are well integrated with the nation and there is no difference between us. A Sinhalese racist will find it hard to grab and understand.
Sri Lankan culture was Sinhalese culture and It is onped for every race! We have learned it the Hard way! Sri Lanka has not been racist for 30 yrs and counting!

niharjhatn

Yes I believed it but We are not Tamils nor Bengali we are Sinhalese............. It's a different race............ I like my race and I respect other races!
And how do you define 'race'?

Current definitions of the broad races in the world has evolved from archaic 19th Century Europeans who only wished to extend white nationalism and racism in a scientific manner. People like them, despite the 99.999% homology between human genomes, focus on the remaining percentage and pronounce a new "race" or sub-sub species. And you are doing the same - in the even more homologous group of south asians!

Right now, you accept that there is even more similarities between the Sinhalese and other groups... but are still hell bent on describing yourself as a member of a different "race" (should be ethnicity at best)... and to what end ? :tsk:

Current theories of genetic evolution and human propagation (just looking at south asia) all suggest far more similarity than what you blindly believe (and with NO evidence to go one way or the other).

Rather than fixating on race and pronouncing we are not Tamil or Bengali - say your CULTURE is different, because ultimately thats what counts :thumb:

HeinzGud

Country flag
Maybe you are right! I might mistook the word..................... sheees it's like Hitler! shame on me. We are all apes in the end. Anyway Sinhalese is a different culture and flourished in Sri Lanka before Tamil culture came here!

Pintu

Yes I believed it but We are not Tamils nor Bengali we are Sinhalese............. It's a different race............ I like my race and I respect other races!
So, why is 'Tamil Propaganda' then in Heading, why not 'Origin of Modern Sinhalese' or 'Origin of Sinhalese' ?

Regards

KS

Bye bye DFI
.....We have learned it the Hard way! Sri Lanka has not been racist for 30 yrs and counting!
:lol:

BTW your culture's bulwark is our culture. Where do you think Buddhism came from ?

Adux

Country flag
Don't be a bloody bugger! Check out the sites I've listed..... You seems to be Tamil racist to me..................... No hard feelings though!
Tread very carefully little man. very carefully.

KS

Bye bye DFI
no more than you are a Sinhala racist....though I am technically correct in being a Tamil racist as obviously my race/myculture is better than yours...It's just bloody obvious ain't it ? :sad:

That being said, still I could not find any factual rebuttals. All I could find only were the 'opinions' of the author as if anyone gave a pinky to that.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles