Comparative study of Indian Air Force and Pakistan Air Force

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
MMRCA number may be increased to 200 (It may be a split order to two vendors)and this number con be achieved well within 2020.
Sabir,
Please don't add speculation. Untill there is no official word from IAF or MOD, please don't a different number(quantity) of jets to be bought.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
DS...the order never stopped at 126 aircrafts...the IAF and Media have always stuck to 126+ as the official word. Even Brazil has a tender floated for 120 aircrafts...but Indian MMRCA is called 'mother of all deals' Why?...

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Sabir,
Please don't add speculation. Untill there is no official word from IAF or MOD, please don't a different number(quantity) of jets to be bought.
It is a bid to buy 126 aircrafts with an option to buy 74 more after evaluation once the planes are inducted.It was there from the begining.....I am surprised that you have not followed that. The speculation is there whether the initial order will be of 200 or not. You can google a bit to verify the option of to buy 64-74 more...

http://indianaerospace.wordpress.com/2007/08/24/india-to-buy-200-aircraft-instead-of-126/

http://kuku.sawf.org/Articles/7319.aspx

http://www.indiastrategic.in/topstories10.htm

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/indias-fighter-shootout-has-the-worlds-eye/

p2prada

Pakfa will gain from the Su 35 technology including engine, radar, controls, thrust vectoring, and even air frame configuration. It would have been a waste if it didn't. I always think of Pakfa as an effort to reduce RCS for Su 35.
Then it wouldn't be a $20Billion Project.

india rock

the yankees are so sxxx.just give the option of f16 and f18 ,and if f16win the game ,just imagin PAF f16 vs iaf f16 ,like left hand vs right hand ,the only winner is the usa herself,

Sabir

DFI TEAM
which generation does mirage III/V belongs after rose upgradation
Can upgradation cover a whole generation gap?.I have doubt...They will remain 2nd generation aircrafts..I believe.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I agree with Sabir that just upgrading a plane won't cover a generation gap.
The ROSE upgrade will improve the strike ability of the Mirage. After ROSE Stage 3 upgrade the Mirage would have night operation, low level stirke and precision strike capability.
ROSE stage 1 upgrade will give Mirage new HUD, HOTS, INS, MFD, GPS,EW suite with new counter-measure despensing system for flares and chaff, RWR and a new fire control radar which will enable jet to fire BVR missiles.
ROSE stage 2 upgrade will give Mirage a new and better fire control radar and IRST system for low level operations.
ROSE stage 3 upgrade will give Mirage new avionic suite to enable precision strike capability.

raider

Wouldnt it be premature to mention that india has MCA and PAKFA in the pipeline while claiming pakistan doesnt have the J-XX???

Just my thought. Lastly in a recent interview the pak air force chief marshall claimed that pakistan will go for more F-10s after indias MRCA order in order to counter the threat. The F-10's in pakistan are widely considered to be upgrade J-10B's. Mainly the PAF has tagged its future on 2 fighters which are the JF-17 and the J-10B. The current JF-17 version has come a very long way and theirs been recent reports that a block 2 version will be introduced soon with greater payload, AESA radar, and a WS-10 engine. The J-10B shouldnt be taken lightly either since the chinese have had years of experience to gain in countering the SU-30 and they seem pretty satisfied with it in dealing with the US airforce fighter in a possible war.

Either way both airforces are becomming very capable, but the PAF is fast closing the gap that the IAF currently has. The PAF will be purchasing alot more AWAC planes (5 from sweden, and 4 from china) but, india will still retain the qualitative edge over pakistan. Also I doubt the IAF would focus all its planes on pakistan (it has to maintain fighters near the chinese border as well) whereby the PAF doesnt have to worry about a similar situation

Heres my guess for the inventory of both air forces

PAF
-250 JF-17
-36 F-16 c/d
-50 F-16 mlu
-80-120 J-10B
-40 Mirage Rose
-5 Eireye
-4 Chinese awacs

IAF
-126 MRCA
-230 SU-30mki
-48 Mirage 2000
-48 Mig-29's
-48 LCA's
-3 Phalcon awacs

This is based off of the current procurement plans for both airforces. For the LCA ive only taken into consideration the current orders the IAF said it would place in total

raider

Can upgradation cover a whole generation gap?.I have doubt...They will remain 2nd generation aircrafts..I believe.
Theyll remain 2nd generation aircraft but with much more advanced capability. The Rose upgrade are pretty formiddable strike aircrafts if you ask me

pyromaniac

Founding Member
Wouldnt it be premature to mention that india has MCA and PAKFA in the pipeline while claiming pakistan doesnt have the J-XX???

hmmm....thats because the J-XX is not being developed by your country...lol its funny how you think that China will just give you those planes. Do you have any proof of this? any links? Does anyone even know what the J-XX's capabilities are?

Country flag
these are all wishlists for both sides and dont represent the current inventories for both sides.

Country flag
IAF
-126 MRCA
-230 SU-30mki
-48 Mirage 2000
-48 Mig-29's
-48 LCA's
-3 Phalcon awacs

This is based off of the current procurement plans for both airforces. For the LCA ive only taken into consideration the current orders the IAF said it would place in total
India plans on acquiring 6 Phalcon AWACS if all goes well and India is also developing it's own indigenous AWACS where 20 will be reportedly built

Air Force Technology - India Plans to Develop Indigenous Low-Cost Radar System

500 LCA plan to be built 400 for IAF and 100 for navy but the numbers can possibly exceed 1000

Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)

Sukhois -currently India has 98 with almost 30 built by India and Russia annually so this number may exceed 250 by 2015 and more if there is a delay in PAFKA or if IAF decides to extend it.

raider

India plans on acquiring 6 Phalcon AWACS if all goes well and India is also developing it's own indigenous AWACS where 20 will be reportedly built

Air Force Technology - India Plans to Develop Indigenous Low-Cost Radar System

500 LCA plan to be built 400 for IAF and 100 for navy but the numbers can possibly exceed 1000

Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)

Sukhois -currently India has 98 with almost 30 built by India and Russia annually so this number may exceed 250 by 2015 and more if there is a delay in PAFKA or if IAF decides to extend it.

500 LCAs? where did you get that number from? The IAF has already stated that there only going to get 40 and thats only out of respect for all the years given into the project. If the LCA did go through as well as it was suppose to then the IAF wouldnt be giving an international tender for 126+ multi-role fighters whose role the LCA was suppose to fill

Country flag
i have posted the link

I see a good potential to build all together, about 1,000 aircraft, over a period of time. The LCA could be 400 in number for the IAF, 100 for the Navy

raider

hmmm....thats because the J-XX is not being developed by your country...lol its funny how you think that China will just give you those planes. Do you have any proof of this? any links? Does anyone even know what the J-XX's capabilities are?
Ok then provide some credible proof on the MCA then? The MCA has yet to even go through design stages whereby the J-XX is under advanced stages of development by 2 institutes (CAC and SAC) of which theres 2 different designs. Why would china budge to sell pakistan those planes? So far theyve provided pakistan with any usefull technology pakistan asked for so how would this change?

About the J-XX's capabilities its the only known developmental rival to the F-35/F-22 along with the russian 5th generation plane.

raider

i have posted the link

I see a good potential to build all together, about 1,000 aircraft, over a period of time. The LCA could be 400 in number for the IAF, 100 for the Navy
India has yet to choose an engine for the LCA after the failure of the kaveri, dont you think that 400 let alone 1000 is to much of wishfull thinking?

Country flag
500 LCAs? where did you get that number from? The IAF has already stated that there only going to get 40 and thats only out of respect for all the years given into the project. If the LCA did go through as well as it was suppose to then the IAF wouldnt be giving an international tender for 126+ multi-role fighters whose role the LCA was suppose to fill
this is something which i also had discussed in the past ;why is India even accepting bids for MRCA if LCA can be completed and delivered around the same time MRCA would probably be??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles